un55f9000 or un60f8000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-10-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am hoping someone here can help.  I am in the market for a new TV. I was looking at the 60f8000 and the 55f9000.  The 55 in 9000 is about $400 more at my local BB after discounts.  I am having a hard time deciding though.  It may be silly, but I can't decide is the $400 worth the upgrade?  Will I see any difference under "normal" viewing.  Direct TV and blueray.  Would the slightly larger 60f8000 be the better way to go.  My current tv is 50".  My living room viewing is between 14' and 7' feet depending on where you are sitting.

I am really hoping someone can chime in.  I am sure they will both look good, but I tend to keep my TV's for a long time.  I just don't wont to be a too early adopter and be dumb.

We watch mostly HD content through direct tv.  I just have read reviews that the upscaling sometimes make things look worse. 

Thanks for everyones input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-11-2013, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just got the 55" f9000 instead of the 65"f8000 (they were same price here). I came from a 55", we sit close maybe 6-7'. The upscaler works and 1080i cable feed looks fine, just as good as any 1080p display would show. You'd have to pixel peep for cable content to look better. Samsung will update the one connect box so not sure if there is "too early" for the f9000 aside from the fact there is no 4k content aside from demo material. But I was in the same boat - am not going to upgrade for a long time. I figured I will get the tv now and be ready when 4k releases come (will need new avr and bd player).

But from your farther distance, if you plan on upgrading within next 4-5 yrs or so I think you're good with 1080. Maybe by then they will have fixed production quirks of oled.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #3 of 9 Old 12-11-2013, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Personally I recently had the same dilemma but decided the F8000 is the way to go....for me.

While the F9000 has a great picture...in the store with a demo Ultra HD loop playing, currently their is no satalite or cable provider that is broadcasting in 4K and you also cannot get it OTA.

If you want to have the F9000 because it will do upscaling, then that is another matter.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-11-2013, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have the un65f9000, best tv I've owned to date, no question. Here's my input. I would suggest if you are thinking f9000 that you may want to save a few more dollars up and then get the 65. At 55 inches the advantage of 4k will be there, but the small screen will limit the true effect to some degree. I personally wouldnt buy the f8000, as 4k in here and will only grow in the coming months. If you buy the f8000, you might find yourself wanting/needing to buy a 4k tv anyways. The nice thing about the f9000 is it truely is FULLY upgradedable, its the first tv to allow you upgrade the processor, memory, and inputs. It really doesnt get any better in my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersonr View Post

I am hoping someone here can help.  I am in the market for a new TV. I was looking at the 60f8000 and the 55f9000.  The 55 in 9000 is about $400 more at my local BB after discounts.  I am having a hard time deciding though.  It may be silly, but I can't decide is the $400 worth the upgrade?  Will I see any difference under "normal" viewing.  Direct TV and blueray.  Would the slightly larger 60f8000 be the better way to go.  My current tv is 50".  My living room viewing is between 14' and 7' feet depending on where you are sitting.
I am really hoping someone can chime in.  I am sure they will both look good, but I tend to keep my TV's for a long time.  I just don't wont to be a too early adopter and be dumb.

We watch mostly HD content through direct tv.  I just have read reviews that the upscaling sometimes make things look worse. 

Thanks for everyones input.

Samsung UHD 4K UN65F9000, Sharp LC46D64U,
Shaw HD PVR Gateway and Portals,
PS4 500gb launch edition,
Samsung BD-P3600, Sony BDP-S470,
Pioneer VSX-1026, Monster Power HDP 2550
Polk Audio 7.1- CS1, Monitor 70s, Monitor 60s, Monitor 40s, PSW505,
Blu-Ray collection- 572 and counting. See them here

post #5 of 9 Old 12-11-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersonr View Post

I can't decide is the $400 worth the upgrade?

Generally TV reviews seem to consider the F9000 somewhat similar to the F8000 at identical screen sizes, so they typically give the F9000 a lower grade due to the higher price. Between similar performance with current video content, higher prices, and reduced screen size, the F9000 might not really be an upgrade.

Quote:
I just don't wont to be a too early adopter and be dumb.

Considering this is your position, the most rational thing to do at this time is probably to only consider 1080p TVs (F8000). Aside from Sony there currently isn't much UHD content, so it's difficult to guess how UHD content might be standardized in the future. If UHD happens to adopt standards that are outside of the panel's capability, such as an expanded color gamut, then having the option of paying Samsung for upgrades to the F9000 might not turn out to be a considerable benefit. Personally I may be willing to throw away a few thousand dollars on first-generation electronics that could be purchased much cheaper later, and with the lack of content standards UHD is simply a bleeding-edge product at this point, so from your initial post I would have to agree with the large portion of TV reviewers that seem to consider UHD generally pointless for most people at this time.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-12-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Accord

So if I can't wait since my TV is going out... and can't afford the 65.  Would you still go with the 55 over the f8000?

post #7 of 9 Old 12-12-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all very much for your opinions.  It has definitely helped some.  I am still having some trouble deciding.  I am a fairly indecisive person when spending several thousand dollars. 

I tend to keep my TV's for 8-10 years if possible.  So I like the idea of having 4k available when it comes.  However, if the standard changes and my tv wont support it, then I will feel a little dumb.  Right now I think I am in a catch 22.  If I buy the 8000 and 4k comes out in the next couple of years, then I will think that I could have gotten the 4k for a little bit more. and will have to wait a while until buying a new tv.  If I buy the 4k and the content doesn't come out, then I over spent.

I appreciate the opinions and experiences... I do feel more informed now.  If you have any more to add, please feel free.

post #8 of 9 Old 12-13-2013, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am in a similar decision process and will likely purchase the un60f8000. While the f9000 seems upgradable with the connect box, 4k is not truly standardized yet. When it does, it is unknown the cost and commitment Samsung will put towards upgrading the f9000. The. F8000 is good to go out of the box with full content.

Unless you're willing to wait until next year for 2014 4k models, I'd get the f8000.

I'll likely upgrade to 4k when it's industry standard and content readily available and hopefully oled tech is improved and affordable.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgolgiman View Post

I am in a similar decision process and will likely purchase the un60f8000. While the f9000 seems upgradable with the connect box, 4k is not truly standardized yet. When it does, it is unknown the cost and commitment Samsung will put towards upgrading the f9000. The. F8000 is good to go out of the box with full content.

Unless you're willing to wait until next year for 2014 4k models, I'd get the f8000.

I'll likely upgrade to 4k when it's industry standard and content readily available and hopefully oled tech is improved and affordable.

I went back and forth for a while before getting the F9000, I don't plan on getting a new TV for at least 5 years so FWIW I went to the F9000 since worst case scenario (after the price drop) I'd have an awesome display for existing content and have the option to upgrade once they finalize HDMI 2.0 / 4k. The F9000 is really great on upscaling so it's got a slight leg up on the F8000 and I've drank the kool aid that maybe they invested a little more in making the panel lottery less of a risk on the F9000.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55f9000 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd Led Hdtv , Samsung Un60f8000 60 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page