Samsung LNT5265 .............NetFlix - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-12-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had this TV a long time with "0" problems thus far so why upgrade.....

My question is my wife wants to get Netflix's............I think you need to internet to get it though.

What do I have to do to get Netflix on this TV?

It has a wiselink port on the side...........do they make a cable to go from a laptop computer to the tv so she can see the movies/shows on the Tv.

Is it possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-12-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 228
You could use a STB (Set Top Box) like an AppleTV, connect it to your tv via HDMI and then use the wireless connection of the AppleTV to connect to your router (I'm assuming your tv has HDMI inputs). Netflix is one of the bundled apps that comes with it. For $100, it's not a bad deal. There are other STB's you can get as well and do the same thing.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-12-2013, 06:25 PM

Liked: 11
AppleTV is the way to go. Like Otto said... For $100, you can't beat it. Plus you will get the ability to AirPlay from iOS devices. In my experience, it's the best Netflix interface. Way better than BluRay or Smart TV interfaces.
post #4 of 17 Old 12-12-2013, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Where do they sell this apple Tv thing......anyone have a link to one?
post #5 of 17 Old 12-12-2013, 07:43 PM

Liked: 11
Best Buy or the Apple Store. Maybe Target. Shouldn't be a hard find.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-12-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Is this the latest one out...........I see there are different generations of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MD199LL-A-TV/dp/B007I5JT4S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386909498&sr=8-2&keywords=apple+tv

$89 free ship
post #7 of 17 Old 12-12-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Make sure it gets Super HD (1080p streaming). Some devices like the Xbox 360 doesn't get that (I heard some people were not getting the option in the Xbox One & PS4 too).

I know the Super HD option is available on the PS3.

Also you can just hook up your computer or laptop to your TV as long as your PC has a HDMI cable & just watch Netflix through their site.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-12-2013, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboLNT5265 View Post

Is this the latest one out...........I see there are different generations of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MD199LL-A-TV/dp/B007I5JT4S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386909498&sr=8-2&keywords=apple+tv

$89 free ship

Yes. The AppleTV3 can stream in 1080p, the AppleTV2 streams in 720p. Other than that, they are basically the same. As mentioned, you can connect your laptop via HDMI to your tv and stream that way but that can be conditional.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-13-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Yes. The AppleTV3 can stream in 1080p, the AppleTV2 streams in 720p. Other than that, they are basically the same. As mentioned, you can connect your laptop via HDMI to your tv and stream that way but that can be conditional.

Is the AppleTV3 super HD as someone mentioned above...........I'm sure the PS3 is alot more money.

Also forgot to mention we have a cheap Magnavox NB500MG9 Blu-Ray Player we use with the Samsung LCD Tv...............can the Bluray player be used to downstream Net Flix or would it be a waste going to get Net Flix with that and be bad quaility pictures.

We do have a laptop computer but would need somekind of cord to go from the computer to HDMI......anyone know what that is called so if we go that way so I will know what I'm looking for . It's not DVI to HDMI, it's the same kind of connection the the mouse has I assume that I need. Is it USB to HDMI adapter what I need? Also if I go this route does that mean you can not use that lap top at all while you are watching the show or movie during that time it is on?

Also we have another Flatscreen that is a Panasonic Viera.....that already has the Net Flix app on the set and intranet is already ran to it. Once we get the netflix sign in codes will that TV need a AppleTV too or is that one all ready for NetFlix the way it is?
post #10 of 17 Old 12-13-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Super HD is a funny term. HD is either 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. I guess by "Super HD" he means 1080p? I don't really think it makes any difference when streaming because your source (app, ISP, etc) will determine how good the pq quality ultimaely is.

The blu-ray player has to have internet capabilities, either wirelessly (built-in or with the use of a dongle) or wired (ethernet). If it's a cheapie Magnavox as you say it probably doesn't have internet capabilities. A lot of newer blu-ray players are internet capable (and they don't cost a lot of money) and come with a suite of internet apps which usually has Netflix. The robustness of the Netflix app is dependent upon the player's mfr etc. For example, I have a very nice Panasonic blu-ray player but the Netflix app is no where near as fast and easy to navigate as the AppleTV2 one is. So I rarely use the apps on my blu-ray player. Both of my devices are wired so I don't need to use WiFi for a connection.

If your laptop doesn't have an HDMI out or equivalent connection, then you will need to use some sort of adapter but without knowing what outputs you have, video card, or even model of laptop, it's difficult to recommend what kind of cable you'll need.

Your Viera doesn't need anything else if you have it connected to the internet either wired (ethernet) or wirelessly (WiFI). Just launch the Netflix app and enter you account information. That's all you need.
post #11 of 17 Old 12-13-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, I think rather then mess with adapters or another BluRay, I think the AppleTV3 is the way to go. I have a third HDMI that isn't be used on the Samsung so it should work just fine on there.

The Amazon Apple one I mentioned above doesn't say 3.....Do we know for sure that is the newer version one that gets 1080p?

I guess since no one mentioned the Roku 3 everyone likes the Apple TV3 better?

Besides the monthly charge( of $9.99 in our area) for Net Flix are there other charges to watch any and all contents of Net Flix's or is that it?
post #12 of 17 Old 12-13-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I have an AppleTV2 and it can only stream in 720p max depending on the source material. The AppleTV3 can stream in 1080p. You can always Google the Apple model number and check for sure. Realistically, I don't think you can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on streamed content because your ISP, connection method (wired/wirelessly), and speeds can affect the pq.

There are no other charges unless you sign up for some of the other apps that are available on the ATV like Hulu Plus, etc. The same holds true for any STB and the apps that come with them. Apps like HBO Go are available on the ATV for example but you have to already subscribe to a pay-tv service that offers HBO. There are lots of apps available on any STB (AppleTV, Roku, etc) but most of them require some sort of subscription fee like Netflix does to access the content. As far as Netflix goes, just make sure when you subscribe to subscribe to the streaming portion and not the disks-by-mail portion. You can do both if you want but its more expensive. The only advantage of doing both is there are more disks available than there is for streaming, but that difference is getting smaller.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-13-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

One last question and thank you for all your help.

When you sign up to Net Flixs is it good for all the TVs in your house at the same time or will you have to pay double and get 2 sign in numbers?
post #14 of 17 Old 12-13-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know about signing in at the same time on another tv with the same account. I do know that my daughter uses our Netflix account (and she has her own username) and she lives in another city. So I think you can have multiple users on one account but not necessarily at the same time. We only pay $8.99 per month for out Netflix and that is for streaming only.
post #15 of 17 Old 12-13-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure I know how to read this...........does this mean yes to 2 tv's at the same time or does this just mean up to 4 devices at the same time on one account.

https://support.netflix.com/en/node/373

Did some more searching where someone asked that same question and look at the last answer on this page of this link.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130804013531AAh8Kjr

"Yes you can my brother uses it on the ps3 i use it on the ipad my cousin uses it on the other ps3 and my sister on her ipod and we all use it at the same time"
post #16 of 17 Old 12-14-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Picked up the AppleTv3 at Radio Shack for $89 plus tax on sale................Worked great on the Samsung, very easy to install.

The Panasonic with thre Viera Smart TV worked excellent as well.

Also yes you can use both Tv's the same time when using NetFlix's

Thank you for everyones help
post #17 of 17 Old 12-15-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool. Enjoy your new setup wink.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version