kd55x9005 - Watching 4k content - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-15-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I recently bought the kd55x9005 TV. However I am really struggling to actually watch 4k content on it.
I have figured out it is basically impossible to do it via plugging in external hard drives into the TV via usb. The reasoning behind it from what I have gathered is the actual media player on the TV itself does not support 4k playback which to me seems very strange.

The PS4 and Xbox do not support external drives so how can I actually watch some of the 4k content which I have got from youtube and other sources on the TV.

I am thinking of trying the sony 4k blu ray player which also has a USB port - BDP-S7904K and 3D Blu-ray Disc™ Player but I do not know if this will definitely work.

I love the TV, the 3D, sound and picture quality is amazing but I paid for a 4k TV yet I can't seem to watch the little 4k content that is out there on the TV

Every time I try to watch any 4k on the TV, whether it be via USB to the TV or remotely through PC to the TV or Xbox, I get the same error, unsupported content. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Binny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-16-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 115
This unit might work for you, though it is not yet available:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20131213005771/en/NanoTech-Entertainment-NTEK-Releases-Nuvola-NP-1-4K
post #3 of 4 Old 12-19-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Sony 55/65X9005 HDMI 4K Signal Firmware Upgrade Released for EU Models

Firmware Version: PKG4.001EUA
Release Date: 19/12/2013

Benefits and improvements

• Improves the Network features' performance of your TV

• Only for KD-55X9005A and KD-65X9005: HDMI upgrade to v2.0 to support 4K 50/60p.
- 3840X2160p (50/59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit
- 4096X2160p (50/59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit

• Restrictions: only for use with TV sold in Europe. Not all models are sold in all countries.

TV's can be upgrated using their internal software upgrade search & automatic installation or by downloading the firmware from here.

I have just installed it here wink.gif

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #4 of 4 Old 01-23-2014, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13

This is great news, thank you. I too have this television, and I've been wondering about the HDMI 2.0 update for a while. I am little confused as to how this works, as I was under the impression that the HDMI 2.0 part would have to be a hardware update (as well as software). 

I emailed Sony customer support about this yesterday and this is what the exchange looked like: 

Hello there, 

I read recently that the HDMI 2.0 firmware update was rolling out and that HDMI port 4 would soon be able to be upgraded from HDMI 1.4 to HDMI 2.0. 

I have three questions: 

1. When will the firmware upgrade come?
2. Will it be automatic, or will I have to install it?
3. How do I go about upgrading the hardware port in the back of the TV? 

All help greatly appreciated, 

James

Thank you for contacting Sony support regarding HDMI firmware update.

In regards to your query, unfortunately there is no update available for HDMI, however if you would like to upgrade your device HDMI port, it is going to be a chargeable service.

You may send your device for repair to the nearest Sony authorized service centre, by following the below steps to locate your nearest service centre:

· Go to http://sony.co.uk/support/en/repair

· Enter the model number in repair option box.

· Click on search.

· Click on Service Centre Search to locate the nearest service centre to send the device to.

I am sorry I cannot be of greater assistance on this occasion; however I hope that my e-mail has gone some way to clarifying this matter.

Yours sincerely

Walaa

Sony Customer Support

Sony Europe Limited

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 55x900a by PriceGrabber.com