CES 2014 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 529 Old 01-07-2014, 08:08 PM
 
Zen Electronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post


Can you take a look at the New Sony 4K TVs? If you can take photos at multiple angles of the XBR-55X900B, XBR-65X900B, and XBR-55X850B if possible. Would greatly appreciate it. Can you give your opinion of the image quality difference between the 900B and 850B?

 

Here are pics of the 79" & 65".  They're iPhone photos so I apologize upfront for the quality.  Forgot to snap pics of the 850B.  Both had an excellent picture but I'm not to sure about the attached speakers and one piece design.  Can't remove the stand and wall mount it.  But if you're going for a table top stand with built in audio not a bad choice (price aside).

 

79" XBR-79X900B

 

 

 

 

 

 

65" XBR-65X900B

 

 

 

Zen Electronics is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 529 Old 01-07-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 4,834
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Just curious on 4K Projectors?

1.) Any news as I think the panels are all well and good but I prefer a projector in my main HT room, because they are easier to haul out of your basement if they break for one! wink.gif

Second questions:

2.) Any news of DSD technology from Sony etc.. I have seen some of there high end audio players just start hitting the streets and they look promising.


Thanks!
Garman is offline  
post #183 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
Carlos_E's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Electronics View Post

Here are pics of the 79" & 65".  They're iPhone photos so I apologize upfront for the quality.  Forgot to snap pics of the 850B.  Both had an excellent picture but I'm not to sure about the attached speakers and one piece design.  Can't remove the stand and wall mount it.  But if you're going for a table top stand with built in audio not a bad choice (price aside).

79" XBR-79X900B
















65" XBR-65X900B








Thank you. I prefer the 2014 design over the 2013. I am worried about the feet. You said they can't be removed to wall mount the TV? That is strange!
Carlos_E is online now  
post #184 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
bluewhale1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Zen Electronics can you also check out the Vizio P series and give a rough comparison between picture quality between Vizio, Samsung and Sony(i know it wont be precise since you can't see them side by side but just a rough idea of what you liked. Also if you can check out Toshiba.

Thanks
bluewhale1 is online now  
post #185 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,968
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Electronics View Post

Here are pics of the 79" & 65".  They're iPhone photos so I apologize upfront for the quality.  Forgot to snap pics of the 850B.  Both had an excellent picture but I'm not to sure about the attached speakers and one piece design.  Can't remove the stand and wall mount it.  But if you're going for a table top stand with built in audio not a bad choice (price aside).

79" XBR-79X900B

Did Sony specifically tell you that the TV can not be wall mounted? Everything Sony has told me so far alludes to the fact that they can be.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #186 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post

Zen Electronics can you also check out the Vizio P series and give a rough comparison between picture quality between Vizio, Samsung and Sony(i know it wont be precise since you can see them side by side but just a rough idea of what you liked. Also if you can check out Toshiba.

Thanks

Second that (and especially the Toshiba), as well as adding the Vizio Reference Series to the list. Especially interested in any PQ differences between the Visio P and R series...

Also, if there is any way if you could check if the Toshiba supports 3D or not (and if so if it is passive or active).

-fafrd
fafrd is offline  
post #187 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Elk Grove, California,USA
Posts: 1,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever View Post

Wife and I have decided to purchase the 2013 70" M for $1,950.00 and forget about the Vizio 2014 lineup.
4K is a huge waste right now, our family will benefit more and have more fun from the large screen passive 3D. What a huge disappointment for us with Vizio eliminating 3D from their ENTIRE lineup.
A huge disappointment for many 3D enthusiasts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

The verge did an interview with Vizio's chief technology officer, Matt McRae. He says after a lot of market research with their customer base and the industry points to lack of interest in 3D. Sony and Microsoft are taking a wait and see approach and if demand is there will add into PS4/X1 at a later date. Console game development is ballooning to titanic proportions and adding 3D (halving resolution/increasing lag) doesn't seem advisable..ESPN one of the earliest adopters has bowed out of the 3D sports biz and in the UK 3D has been dropped for UHD 4/8K, For a studio to film in "True" 3D not post conversion it takes twice the cameras to film. I would trade PQ over 3D in a heart beat.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/6/5279150/vizio-announces-first-consumer-4k-tvs-kills-3d-support
From a 3D enthusiasts perspective, cinematic production is where 3D creation shines as a priceless artistic canvas. My personal disappointment comes from Visio using sports as a key perspective of Industry research interests instead of perceiving it as an additional-benefiting factor. Hollywood 3D cinema reproduction is what ultimately suffers, limiting consumer access to viewing a directors intent.
Paul H is offline  
post #188 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
J y E 4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

A huge disappointment for many 3D enthusiasts.
From a 3D enthusiasts perspective, cinematic production is where 3D creation shines as a priceless artistic canvas. My personal disappointment comes from Visio using sports as a key perspective of Industry research interests instead of perceiving it as an additional-benefiting factor. Hollywood 3D cinema reproduction is what ultimately suffers, limiting consumer access to viewing a directors intent.

Shhhhh, don't say 3D too loud, its now considered an evil gimmick to be hidden in the marketing material.

4K streaming is the new sweatheart. lol
J y E 4Ever is offline  
post #189 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Member
 
Cabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: JAX
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever View Post

Wife and I have decided to purchase the 2013 70" M for $1,950.00 and forget about the Vizio 2014 lineup.

4K is a huge waste right now, our family will benefit more and have more fun from the large screen passive 3D.

What a huge disappointment for us with Vizio eliminating 3D from their ENTIRE lineup.

You could wait until CES is over, and Super Bowl sales begin, the price may drop significantly in the short term...
Cabby is offline  
post #190 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,968
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

A huge disappointment for many 3D enthusiasts.
From a 3D enthusiasts perspective, cinematic production is where 3D creation shines as a priceless artistic canvas. My personal disappointment comes from Visio using sports as a key perspective of Industry research interests instead of perceiving it as an additional-benefiting factor. Hollywood 3D cinema reproduction is what ultimately suffers, limiting consumer access to viewing a directors intent.

While I think it's a little premature to remove 3D, I think it is perhaps a little dramatic to say that they are "limiting consumer access to a directors intent". VERY few movies were conceived and created specifically for release in a 3D environment. A majority of content was shoe-horned into 3D, probably without even the director having much of a say.

It would be nice if there was a way to allow those who wanted 3D to pay for it, rather than forcing that cost on everyone. I suspect it would die a quick death.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #191 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
J y E 4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabby View Post

You could wait until CES is over, and Super Bowl sales begin, the price may drop significantly in the short term...

Good advise no doubt, I just worry about supply.
J y E 4Ever is offline  
post #192 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Member
 
benz5521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

The verge did an interview with Vizio's chief technology officer, Matt McRae. He says after a lot of market research with their customer base and the industry points to lack of interest in 3D. Sony and Microsoft are taking a wait and see approach and if demand is there will add into PS4/X1 at a later date. Console game development is ballooning to titanic proportions and adding 3D (halving resolution/increasing lag) doesn't seem advisable..ESPN one of the earliest adopters has bowed out of the 3D sports biz and in the UK 3D has been dropped for UHD 4/8K, For a studio to film in "True" 3D not post conversion it takes twice the cameras to film. I would trade PQ over 3D in a heart beat.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/6/5279150/vizio-announces-first-consumer-4k-tvs-kills-3d-support

I believe it. Nobody I know cares about 3d. They think it's a gimmick, as do I, and don't like the fact that you have to pay for 3d to get a better quality tv. I know people on AVSforum like 3d, but that's the extreme minority. They are moving on to the new gimmick.
benz5521 is offline  
post #193 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Member
 
Cabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: JAX
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by benz5521 View Post

I believe it. Nobody I know cares about 3d. They think it's a gimmick, as do I, and don't like the fact that you have to pay for 3d to get a better quality tv. I know people on AVSforum like 3d, but that's the extreme minority. They are moving on to the new gimmick.

A better quality picture resulting from advancing technology is much less of a gimmick than the option to watch a movie in 3D when the mood strikes you.

Is full-array backlighting a gimmick, or better refresh rates? If it makes it look better, it's a reason to buy it over something that doesnt look as good. Aren't we all concerned about PQ at some level? 3D is the ultimate definition of a gimmick. Whether 4K or UltraHD, or whatever catchy word they use becomes a driving factor to purchase one TV over another, is yet to be seen, but it's not a gimmick.
Cabby is offline  
post #194 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
Carlos_E's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Did Sony specifically tell you that the TV can not be wall mounted? Everything Sony has told me so far alludes to the fact that they can be.
In other threads they are saying the feet are adjustable and they can be wall mounted using spacers or brackets.
Carlos_E is online now  
post #195 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Citivas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by benz5521 View Post

I believe it. Nobody I know cares about 3d. They think it's a gimmick, as do I, and don't like the fact that you have to pay for 3d to get a better quality tv. I know people on AVSforum like 3d, but that's the extreme minority. They are moving on to the new gimmick.

How do we know we have to pay for 3D in sets? Since all the comparable model high end sets now cost substantially less than they did a few years ago, how does one judge how much consumers are paying for 3D in the panels?

I have yet to buy a set because of 3D. And I don't use it that often, but I don't mind having it. And having both active and passive sets, I can definitely say I would have given up on it if it weren't for the passive set. My kids watch stuff (and play video games) on it all the time using the 2D-3D up-converter too. No one every bother with 3D on the active set, despite it being bigger (65") and a higher end plasma instead of a mid-line LCD like the passive set. I still wouldn't buy a TV specifically because of 3D, but I've come to expect it as an option for my high end sets. I now have a nice collection of 3D blu-rays and as a rule I don't buy many blu-rays but when I do if they are available in 3D I get that so I have the option. I was specifically planning to be in the market for a very large set this year (80"+) and had hoped to see better (and cheaper) sequels to last year's 84" LG and Sony 4K sets but with full HDMI 2, etc. I didn't care so much about the 4K per se, but liked that I could then get Full HD passive 3D. Without that feature, it's just a little harder to justify why I would get a top-end 4K set instead of a cheaper model that had this feature.

A gimmick is when you have a feature you don't use or only use when you first get something or to show off to people. Having had 3D Tv's for a couple years now, the fact that my family is still using them in the normal course suggests that for us it's not a gimmick. And I say that as someone who is not hardcore about 3D -- I don't bother going to the 3D versions of most theatrical films for example and stick with the cheaper 3D version but for maybe 3 movies a year. By comparison, 4K seems like a true gimmick at the moment though in a few years perhaps not.
wth718 likes this.
Citivas is offline  
post #196 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

A huge disappointment for many 3D enthusiasts.
From a 3D enthusiasts perspective, cinematic production is where 3D creation shines as a priceless artistic canvas. My personal disappointment comes from Visio using sports as a key perspective of Industry research interests instead of perceiving it as an additional-benefiting factor. Hollywood 3D cinema reproduction is what ultimately suffers, limiting consumer access to viewing a directors intent.

It's not entirely based on sports, but to give you perspective Disney owns ESPN,ABC,Discovery,history and about 30 additional media outlets. When Disney pulls support for something then people take notice. Declining theatrical interest and poor availability of content as well. I have owned 3D sets and have watched maybe 3 hours max,about 15 minutes every time I would show someone 3D. I feel for enthusiast, but am relieved that someone finally made a decision on the format,so I have an idea where the industry is heading.
Cabby likes this.
Dr.Shankenstein is offline  
post #197 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
J y E 4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

How do we know we have to pay for 3D in sets? Since all the comparable model high end sets now cost substantially less than they did a few years ago, how does one judge how much consumers are paying for 3D in the panels?

I have yet to buy a set because of 3D. And I don't use it that often, but I don't mind having it. And having both active and passive sets, I can definitely say I would have given up on it if it weren't for the passive set. My kids watch stuff (and play video games) on it all the time using the 2D-3D up-converter too. No one every bother with 3D on the active set, despite it being bigger (65") and a higher end plasma instead of a mid-line LCD like the passive set. I still wouldn't buy a TV specifically because of 3D, but I've come to expect it as an option for my high end sets. I now have a nice collection of 3D blu-rays and as a rule I don't buy many blu-rays but when I do if they are available in 3D I get that so I have the option. I was specifically planning to be in the market for a very large set this year (80"+) and had hoped to see better (and cheaper) sequels to last year's 84" LG and Sony 4K sets but with full HDMI 2, etc. I didn't care so much about the 4K per se, but liked that I could then get Full HD passive 3D. Without that feature, it's just a little harder to justify why I would get a top-end 4K set instead of a cheaper model that had this feature.

A gimmick is when you have a feature you don't use or only use when you first get something or to show off to people. Having had 3D Tv's for a couple years now, the fact that my family is still using them in the normal course suggests that for us it's not a gimmick. And I say that as someone who is not hardcore about 3D -- I don't bother going to the 3D versions of most theatrical films for example and stick with the cheaper 3D version but for maybe 3 movies a year. By comparison, 4K seems like a true gimmick at the moment though in a few years perhaps not.

Correct, 3D has been around for 50-60 years.

Studios and TV makers made it better and better and began to include it in their TVs.

I now expect a 3D option on my TV, simple as that.
J y E 4Ever is offline  
post #198 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
tezster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

It would be nice if there was a way to allow those who wanted 3D to pay for it, rather than forcing that cost on everyone. I suspect it would die a quick death.

Then manufacturers should continue to make both 3D and 2D-only sets, such as the 2013 Sony/Vizio LCD lineup (R520/R550 series for Sony, and the E and M series for Vizio). I don't understand the need to completely eliminate it... but that's just me. In any case, the situation is dynamic and continues to evolve.
tezster is offline  
post #199 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

While I think it's a little premature to remove 3D, I think it is perhaps a little dramatic to say that they are "limiting consumer access to a directors intent". VERY few movies were conceived and created specifically for release in a 3D environment. A majority of content was shoe-horned into 3D, probably without even the director having much of a say.

It would be nice if there was a way to allow those who wanted 3D to pay for it, rather than forcing that cost on everyone. I suspect it would die a quick death.

I was having the same conversation a few days ago about theatrical 3D. With the exception of animated films I have only seen 4 films shot in "true" 3D Avatar, Tron, Prometheus and the Hobbit. The actually equipment needed to film is double 2x cameras, computer servers,etc...just watch the making of Prometheus and see.
Dr.Shankenstein is offline  
post #200 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 12:05 PM
Member
 
wookiee2cu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, WA.
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Electronics View Post

My initial impressions were that the 8550 was as good or better than the 9000.

Definitely like the picture more than this year's 8000 series.  The 9000 adds a depth enhancement feature that added too much depth to some scenes.  The processing supposedly effects the foreground of the picture signal in almost a layering effect.  The picture below is of the 8550 with another picture of accompanying text:




Thanks for the pics. I'm looking at the UN55F9000 and decided to hold off to see what CES brought. I'm interested in knowing the price of the 55" model 8550, wonder how long it will take them to release the pricing, getting impatient for a new TV smile.gif
wookiee2cu is offline  
post #201 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,968
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

Then manufacturers should continue to make both 3D and 2D-only sets, such as the 2013 Sony/Vizio LCD lineup (R520/R550 series for Sony, and the E and M series for Vizio). I don't understand the need to completely eliminate it... but that's just me. In any case, the situation is dynamic and continues to evolve.

Yeah, totally agree that the move is bold, perhaps a bit reckless. I really don't see a reason to remove the feature from the top few series of models. More customers are interested at those price points and the costs end up blending in a lot easier. Wouldn't hurt to have a single mid-range 3D series as well.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #202 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Member
 
michaelmichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post

It looks like passive and active 3D is not uniform by model numbers. it's a miss mash.

Passive 3D
48.5” (diag) X850B 4K Ultra HD TV

Who makes the 49 inch UHD panels for sony ? LG ?
michaelmichael is offline  
post #203 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Member
 
JayG30's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuy01 View Post

There are a few. Vizio dropped 3D from all its lines save their reference P-series, which I would imagine will be passive. The only LG 1080p sets that have 3D are the top LB7100/7200 models. Sony continues to have several models that are 3D, but for 2014 the top of the line 1080p models are the passive sets (W950B) while the cheaper ones are active. That's a switch from 2013, where the cheaper models were passive. I haven't read much about Samsung unfortunately. If any of them are 3D, I wouldn't be surprised at them being active.

Just a thought and I might be mistaken, but isn't Sony the only TV manufacturer that is also as Studio? And they also have stake in BluRay.
So to me it would stand to reason they would want to push 3D content as a way to increase sales.
Where Samsung, Vizio, LG, Toshiba, etc. really don't have anything to do with 3D other then adding it into their TV sets. And if the market research is showing that people don't care about it they probably see little to no incentive to continue offering it like Sony does.
JayG30 is offline  
post #204 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,968
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG30 View Post

Just a thought and I might be mistaken, but isn't Sony the only TV manufacturer that is also as Studio? And they also have stake in BluRay.
So to me it would stand to reason they would want to push 3D content as a way to increase sales.
Where Samsung, Vizio, LG, Toshiba, etc. really don't have anything to do with 3D other then adding it into their TV sets. And if the market research is showing that people don't care about it they probably see little to no incentive to continue offering it like Sony does.

That's assuming it is profitable to do so. Maybe the additional costs to produce a 3D film don't amount to a commensurate increase in revenues. That could explain the lack of enthusiasm from studios to produce "real" 3D films.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #205 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Senior Member
 
AGuy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG30 View Post

Just a thought and I might be mistaken, but isn't Sony the only TV manufacturer that is also as Studio? And they also have stake in BluRay.
So to me it would stand to reason they would want to push 3D content as a way to increase sales.
Where Samsung, Vizio, LG, Toshiba, etc. really don't have anything to do with 3D other then adding it into their TV sets. And if the market research is showing that people don't care about it they probably see little to no incentive to continue offering it like Sony does.

I made a booboo. None of the 2014 Vizios have 3D. Where in the heck did I see that the Reference series (which is not the P-Series like I originally wrote) has 3D?

But yeah, it looks Sony is one with the most 3D sets this year. Most of those are active. I've heard precious little about Samsung this CES. There are still a few days left of the show, though, so maybe we'll hear more in the coming days.
AGuy01 is offline  
post #206 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmichael View Post

Who makes the 49 inch UHD panels for sony ? LG ?
The last I hear AUOptronics was handling Sony/Vizio 4k,they did last years 4k Sony's as well.
Dr.Shankenstein is offline  
post #207 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Member
 
JayG30's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

That's assuming it is profitable to do so. Maybe the additional costs to produce a 3D film don't amount to a commensurate increase in revenues. That could explain the lack of enthusiasm from studios to produce "real" 3D films.

No, I get that. I'm just thinking out loud as to reasons why Sony might want to continue on offering 3D when clearly the market has moved away from it.
My guess is that Sony is probably still making some profit off it and it isn't costing them much to continue offering it in their TV sets.
Or they just don't want to admit it is dying/dead...
JayG30 is offline  
post #208 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG30 View Post

Just a thought and I might be mistaken, but isn't Sony the only TV manufacturer that is also as Studio? And they also have stake in BluRay.
So to me it would stand to reason they would want to push 3D content as a way to increase sales.
Where Samsung, Vizio, LG, Toshiba, etc. really don't have anything to do with 3D other then adding it into their TV sets. And if the market research is showing that people don't care about it they probably see little to no incentive to continue offering it like Sony does.
The very Sony studio you are talking about are partially to blame for Sony's computer and consumer electronics decline. I think Sony has seperated the movies studio from the consumer electronics division. Social networking and 3D were never meant to be a part of the PS3, but after the studio side of things stepped in SCE were forced to shoehorn in the tech. The PS4 does not support 3D playback currently and SCE are taking a wait and see approach to adding in later, but a 4k update is definitely coming for video playback.
Dr.Shankenstein is offline  
post #209 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Member
 
honda steffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Did Sony specifically tell you that the TV can not be wall mounted? Everything Sony has told me so far alludes to the fact that they can be.

Have a Look to the sony Homepage


"

A new angle on TV design allows for larger speakers and enhanced sound capabilities over traditional LED televisions. The iconic design works with traditional wall mounts, and the adjustable TV stand accommodates large or small tables."

What is the Problem? :-)
honda steffen is offline  
post #210 of 529 Old 01-08-2014, 02:33 PM
Senior Member
 
msantti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

It will be Substantially higher. I intentionally capitalized the word substantially. Personally, I don't really care about 3D. Also, I don't think Sony considers the question of "which type of 3D?", a performance related one. I would guess that 99% of customers don't think there's a difference either. Most enthusiasts lean towards passive obviously, but clearly Sony is not putting any weight on either. I don't think they're concerned that customers will choose their TV based on it, and I think they're right.

My opinion on Dolby HDR is still being formed. I'm not convinced that making TV's brighter is the best way to improve contrast. It reeks of gaming the system and seems to play on the uneducated customers that simply think brighter is better. I agree with some of the reasoning, just not the implementation. I guess we'll see shortly.

People do think brighter is better.

Its why LED outsells Plasma.

Of course, we all know Plasma is superior.

wink.gif
msantti is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ue40f8000 , Samsung Un46d8000 46 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Ces 2014
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off