Wall-Mount over Fireplace LED TV Question, want to future-proof for 4K - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-29-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am planning to wall mount an LG 50LN5100 TV above my fireplace (where the picture currently is).  I only plan to connect an XBox and Roku to it which are located in the cabinet to the lower right.  So I want to run cables (HDMI and power) through the wall to the TV.  Ideally, I'd like to put in conduit so that I can run better A/V cables when they become available in the future and not have to worry about what cables are run now.  However, I think that would require ripping up the wall and would be too expensive.  So if I would like to support a 4K TV someday at greater than 30 Hz...do I need to wait until the HDMI 2.0 standard cables are available?  What cables should I run?  Any idea how much this would cost to have a professional install the cables?  I want them to be completely concealed in the wall.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-29-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 317
There are not going to be any new cable standards. (Except in the minds of snake-oil marketers.) Certified "High Speed" cables are supposed to work fine with the higher bitrates used by the HDMI v2.0 standard. The official specs for them require that they pass a higher bandwidth than is currently used. I suspect that non-standard cables with built-in electronics (like Monoprice Redmere) are less likely to work with HDMI v2.0 than passive cables.

Don't forget to run Cat6 networking cables, too, so you can use the "smart" streaming features of the new TV (and its firmware updates).

Sorry, someone else will have to comment on the labor costs.

Selden
post #3 of 4 Old 12-29-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks for the response.  I'll make sure to use good quality high speed cables.  The TV that I'm planning to install is a dumb TV and I don't think it has Ethernet, but I'll check.  I suspect that eventually all TVs will be wireless, at least for Internet.  I'm surprised that has not happened yet.

post #4 of 4 Old 12-29-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 220
The only way you can "future-proof" any installation is to run conduit. Period. HDMI 2.0 specs were officially released in Sept. 2013 and you will start to see HDMI 2.0 hardware in some of the higher end model tv's this coming year. Some mfrs already have firmware updates but that just increases the clock speed (so far). There's even talk of HDMI 3.0. I would seriously consider installing conduit which has a wide enough diameter to accommodate the connector ends of HDMI cable should you choose to install that. A solid core CAT-6 cable or two (along with a pull string for another cable) and a Redmere HDMI cable (if your run is longer than 25') should "future proof" your installation.

Any certified high speed hdmi cable from a reputable mfr (like Monoprice, Blue Jeans, Media Bridge, etc) will work for lengths up to 25' (the certified length for passive hdmi cables). Longer runs may require the use of Redmere cables. Don't fall for the overpriced "high quality" cables that places like BB will try to sell you. Part of the HDMI spec is ethernet but there aren't any consumer devices that take advantage of that so you will either connect your tv via WiFi or ethernet to take advantage of any Smart features.

Any new tv that is "Smart" will have WiFi connectivity and more than likely an ethernet connection as well.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page