LG TruMotion Settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 12-31-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have an LG 55LN5600. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/55-class-54-5-8-diag--led-1080p-60hz-smart-hdtv/1511709.p?id=1219053212756&skuId=1511709&st=55ln5600&cp=1&lp=1 

The problem is I can't find the TruMotion setting under picture in order to get rid of the soap opera effect. If it doesn't have that setting, how do I adjust it? I had one on my last TV and it got rid of that problem right away. I hate to be down on myself, but setting up this new TV and soundbar is making me feel really stupid. I keep googling for these answers and nothing tells me where that setting is. I went through all the setting options and nothing. 

I am starting to feel super dumb since apparently no one else has these questions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-31-2013, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It's sad that you aren't giving it a chance. I truly feel like after a short time you will get used to it and things will look smoother without looking fake.
But check picture then advanced settings or picture options.
post #3 of 30 Old 12-31-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

The soap opera effect is not something you can really get used to- I don't think that is sad to want your TV to not have the effect. It looks like I am watching a soap opera and takes away from the original cinematography intended. I already did check picture under the settings as mentioned in my post. I love the TV and quality- just need to get rid of that pesky effect. 

Do you have this TV?  

On this page it explains soap opera effect. You may have your motion settings adjusted or something. I just can't find mine which was my question.  

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/blogs/gadgets-on-the-go/why-do-movies-look-so-fake-on-my-new-hdtv-20130710-2ppd2.html

"The issue is known as the "soap opera" effect, because it makes grand-looking Hollywood movies appear as if they were shot on video tape like a budget soap opera. Everything looks a little too crisp and real, to the point where foreground objects can stand out as if they're not really part of the scene and were added later using CGI trickery."

post #4 of 30 Old 12-31-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkWonderGirl View Post

The soap opera effect is not something you can really get used to- I don't think that is sad to want your TV to not have the effect. It looks like I am watching a soap opera and takes away from the original cinematography intended. I already did check picture under the settings as mentioned in my post. I love the TV and quality- just need to get rid of that pesky effect. 

Do you have this TV?  

On this page it explains soap opera effect. You may have your motion settings adjusted or something. I just can't find mine which was my question.  

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/blogs/gadgets-on-the-go/why-do-movies-look-so-fake-on-my-new-hdtv-20130710-2ppd2.html
"The issue is known as the "soap opera" effect, because it makes grand-looking Hollywood movies appear as if they were shot on video tape like a budget soap opera. Everything looks a little too crisp and real, to the point where foreground objects can stand out as if they're not really part of the scene and were added later using CGI trickery."

Yes, it really is something you get used to. I don't notice it AT ALL now even though I strongly desire it.
The original cinematography was not intended to be viewed on an LCD screen which has inherent issues such as motion blur and judder. The trumotion fixes those issues.

I have the step up from that TV.
post #5 of 30 Old 12-31-2013, 04:53 PM

Oh but the setting is trumotion under picture option
post #6 of 30 Old 01-01-2014, 07:51 AM

Liked: 12
Try updating the firmware and report back.
post #7 of 30 Old 01-01-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Updating the firmware has nothing to do with the way TruMotion is accomplished. Just turn the feature off. Some tv's handle motion interpolation better than others. Some tv's allow you turn it off altogether and some don't.
post #8 of 30 Old 01-01-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Updating the firmware has nothing to do with the way TruMotion is accomplished. Just turn the feature off.
Quote:

The problem is I can't find the TruMotion setting under picture in order to get rid of the soap opera effect. If it doesn't have that setting, how do I adjust it?

Otto, how do you propose for PinkWonderGirl to turn off TruMotion if she cannot find it in the menu options? I chuckled a bit.

As for the firmware, nope. I've heard of some LG TVs that shipped earlier last year that featured TruMotion, but lacked the settings to control it until after a firmware update. Is that the case here? I don't know, but an update will certainly reveal the answer.
post #9 of 30 Old 01-01-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never heard of an LG with TruMotion not shipping with a user accessible control setting. On my LG: Menu -> Picture and then click down to TruMotion. Sometimes new users don't fully explore the entire setting options displayed on the screen under each Menu Option.
post #10 of 30 Old 01-01-2014, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

I finally found it! And now movies look normal again! It was under picture settings, but then was in a sub-menu with a weird name, except the menu kept scrolling... and I could come up with a million reasons about why it wasn't my fault I couldn't find it so I won't feel moronic. 

post #11 of 30 Old 01-01-2014, 05:59 PM

Aww you turned it off frown.gif I wish people gave it a chance. Once they get used to it the soap opera effect goes away and everything is clearer and smoother
post #12 of 30 Old 01-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloHelloHello View Post

Aww you turned it off frown.gif I wish people gave it a chance. Once they get used to it the soap opera effect goes away and everything is clearer and smoother
But it's "fake." That's not how the movie was shot, so I don't like it.
post #13 of 30 Old 01-01-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I finally found it! And now movies look normal again! It was under picture settings, but then was in a sub-menu with a weird name, except the menu kept scrolling... and I could come up with a million reasons about why it wasn't my fault I couldn't find it so I won't feel moronic. 

Glad you found it. DIdn't make sense for LG to advertise a feature but not have it configurable right out of the box. I sometimes use it for network television (depending on my mood) but never for movies (especially blu-ray at 24p).
post #14 of 30 Old 01-01-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 View Post

But it's "fake." That's not how the movie was shot, so I don't like it.

How is it fake?

Does real life look like a flip book with judder? Were those frames not really there even though the camera didn't film them?

The movie wasn't shot with an LCD screen with motion blur and judder in mind.

You DO get used to it in such a way it DOESN'T look like soap opera effect, it just looks like everything is smooth.
post #15 of 30 Old 01-01-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I don't enjoy the smoothness either. I've watched several movies over at a friend's house where they have a similar function enabled on their Samsung TV.

With the setting on, movies look more like video games than movies. Movies in theaters aren't smooth either.
post #16 of 30 Old 01-01-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How is it fake?

Adding a frame or duplicating a frame is artificial, hence fake. Some people love it, some people hate it, and some are indifferent to it. Personal preference. No right or wrong.
post #17 of 30 Old 01-01-2014, 09:55 PM

Think about what I'm saying, between two frames of filmed footage, what happened in real life? Not much, the TV guesses what it was and is going to be accurate because it's such a small amount of time.

If an airplane is at point A in frame 1 and then at point B in frame 2, is there ANY doubt that the frame 1.5 the computer made wouldn't be accurate correctly predicting where the airplane was?

Anyway here's the problem. People see it, say they hate it, then turn it off, then talk about it like it's the worst thing ever. They don't realize that even if you DON'T like the soap opera effect, once you've watched it (as if it were your normal/regular TV), you DO get used to it in such a way that it looks exactly normal. But there is no more judder! That's the beauty of it for people who don't like SOE. You WON'T see SOE after a while.
post #18 of 30 Old 01-02-2014, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Does real life look like a flip book with judder?
I don't notice any judder with TruMotion off. Part of the upside of the 120hz HDTV is that 24fps divides evenly into the 120hz refresh rate, eliminating judder without needing the soap opera effect.
post #19 of 30 Old 01-02-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't notice any judder either with TruMotion off. Some people can get used to the SOE after a period of time just like they can get used to a poorly calibrated or adjusted tv.
post #20 of 30 Old 01-02-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:

I've never heard of an LG with TruMotion not shipping with a user accessible control setting.

I have.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408659/lg-trumotion-missing-specific-to-42lm-47lm-55lm-series-excludes-lm7600-and-newer
http://hdguru.com/lg-55lm6700-hdtv-review-when-120-hz-isnt-120-hz-updated/8281/
post #21 of 30 Old 01-02-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Well good for you. My LG (albeit older) didn't need a firmware update to enable the user customizable TruMotion settings. And apparently neither did PinkWonderGirl because she found the settings with a little digging around right where I said it would be.
post #22 of 30 Old 01-02-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:

Well good for you.

That's my line.
post #23 of 30 Old 01-02-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John4721 View Post

That's my line.

At least we agree on something. Progress, that's good wink.gif
post #24 of 30 Old 01-02-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:

At least we agree on something. Progress, that's good wink.gif

Ha. You're alright, Otto. Take it easy.
post #25 of 30 Old 01-02-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:

I don't notice any judder either with TruMotion off. Some people can get used to the SOE after a period of time just like they can get used to a poorly calibrated or adjusted tv.

The question is, do they like how it looks BETTER than a calibrated TV?
post #26 of 30 Old 01-02-2014, 03:52 PM

Liked: 34
Quote:

How is it fake?

Does real life look like a flip book with judder? Were those frames not really there even though the camera didn't film them?

The movie wasn't shot with an LCD screen with motion blur and judder in mind.

You DO get used to it in such a way it DOESN'T look like soap opera effect, it just looks like everything is smooth.

Movies are not supposed to look like real life. Movies take place in a world not happening in front of you, they are created to transport you to a world where this is actually taken place. Film does that. There is a reason Film has stayed in 24fps.

I don't want to watch a movie that looks like I'm a watching a movie set. So it is not about getting used to it.

Now, if you are watching basketball game, that's different story. Trumotion does help in that regard.

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HC-1 MK2 | HSU HB-1 MK2 - LR | Pioneer SP-BS22-SLR | BIC RtR-V44-2 (Presence)
post #27 of 30 Old 01-02-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnewbie21 View Post

Movies are not supposed to look like real life. Movies take place in a world not happening in front of you, they are created to transport you to a world where this is actually taken place. Film does that. There is a reason Film has stayed in 24fps.

I don't want to watch a movie that looks like I'm a watching a movie set. So it is not about getting used to it.

Now, if you are watching basketball game, that's different story. Trumotion does help in that regard.
and why would I care what they are supposed to look like to you? High frame rate looks better to me
post #28 of 30 Old 01-02-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The question is, do they like how it looks BETTER than a calibrated TV?

Some don't like an accurately calibrated tv because it's not what they are used to. They like the torch mode or the presets. I've seen people pay $300 for a calibration and then go back and tweak it to their liking, which basically un-calibrates the tv. Again this is a purely personal choice. For me, I would never enable motion interpolation when watching a blu-ray for example. My tv panel is 24p capable so adding an artificial enhancement to that (SOE) would ruin it for me. But you do what is best for you.
post #29 of 30 Old 01-03-2014, 12:26 PM

Liked: 34
Quote:

and why would I care what they are supposed to look like to you? High frame rate looks better to me

It is what is intended to be, not what I think it should look like to you. If you enjoy the soap opera effect, then have fun with it. You are in luck because of trumotion and the like. But don't tell people they should get use to a technology that lessen the movie experience for "most" people.

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HC-1 MK2 | HSU HB-1 MK2 - LR | Pioneer SP-BS22-SLR | BIC RtR-V44-2 (Presence)
post #30 of 30 Old 03-09-2014, 07:54 PM

I decided to buy the 55ln5600 instead of the 55ln5700 because the only difference I could find was the 60hz vs 120hz spec.

Before I pulled the trigger on the 5600 I did a lot of research.The service manual covers a lot of models.Included is the LN5600/5700/5710/5750/5790 and it also covers the LA6200/6205/6650/6900/6950/6970 with all screen sizes 32-60".

Most models use the same Main board with nothing more then firmware differences.Since the 55ln5600 and the 55ln5700 use the same screen part # it seemed to me that if I decided to add the TruMotion feature all I would need is the main board from a 55ln5700.I have read that LG removed the the ability to change the tool options in the service menu or that would be another way to add the fake 120hz feature.

Well,I get the 5600 and low and behold the TruMotion setting is in the menu.

However.It only has an adjustment for dejudder.There is no deblur adjustment.

Im glad I didnt spend the extra $400 for this feature or the trouble of changing the board.The SOE is very noticeable unless it is set to 1 out of 10.

I watched most of the winter Olympics on this TV without TruMotion and I could not see much blurring.It was there though.

Overall this is a great TV for the price.

Is there really any difference between the 5600 and 5700?

It seems that the 5710 and 5790 models are the same as the 5700 except there is no internal Wi Fi board so it is disabled in the menu and one of the USB inputs must be used.The 5790 comes with a sound bar.

This is similar to the models that include the Smart remote.If its an option you have to use another USB input for the receiver.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 55ln5600 55 Inch 1080p 60hz 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page