Recent purchase of RCA LED46C45RQ televion left me a bit confused (Regarding audio) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-05-2014, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello,

I've always owned budget TV's, and this new RCA that I purchased is no exception. But with that said, I have very little experience with the various audio ins and outs. My last TV, and this one, have very limited audio options. I dealt with it on my last TV because the built-in speakers were semi-decent, and although the picture is immensely better on this new one, I cannot say the same about the built-in speakers.

So on to the point - This RCA television has no optical audio out. The only connections it does have, are:

2x HDMI, which are being used up by a Wii U, and an Apple TV

1x USB, Presumably for thumb drives, but may be a possible solution for USB speakers IF they provide power?

1x Headphone Jack (according to the manual at least, I haven't personally spotted it on the TV yet)

1x Component, which are being used for our cable box

1x A/V

My confusion lies in that I don't know which is the best option here. The easiest route would be for me to connect a decent set of speakers into the headphone jack, but that would mean that I'd be standing up to adjust the volume every time, right?

I'm just not sure which options I have. I wouldn't mind spending an extra $50 or so bucks to get a nice setup, but that's pretty much all we can afford right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-05-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Sorry: the USB connection is "input" only, for use with storage devices like a USB thumb drive or hard-disk. It can't be used to drive speakers.

If you haven't already, you might check a local thrift-store. They sometimes have audio systems for cheap.

Major edit:
I found the manual for your TV.

The headphone out is to the left of to the Antenna/Cable connector.

The TV does have a digital output, but it uses an RCA coax, unlike most TVs. It's in between the headphone jack and the antenna/cable coax connector.

At your price point, a pair of computer speakers driven from the headphone jack probably would be the best choice. Make sure they have built-in amplifiers. Some don't.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 5 Old 01-05-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out.

A quick follow-up:

If I were to, say, increase my budget for a better audio system in due time, would something like this work? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AMTAV7Q/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1SSY2H4BH2MXC

Or are there better options in the $100-$200 range, in your experience?

Thanks again!

post #4 of 5 Old 01-06-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Bump

Still looking for some help on solutions if anyone has a spare moment.

The reviews on the item I linked above seem to be fairly good, but I'd much prefer to get some feedback from AVS members.

post #5 of 5 Old 01-06-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 464
I've never used a soundbar, myself. Its sound will be noticeably better than what the TV provides, primarily because it has a separate (mis-named) "subwoofer" to provide much lower frequencies than can be provided by the TV speakers.

At that price, though, (~$250) you might be able to get a surround-sound HTiB (Home Theater in a Box) system. Having speakers in the rear or sides of the room can make a noticeable improvement in the experience.

You'll probably get some better answers from experienced soundbar and HTiB users if you were to ask the question in the AVS sub-forums

http://www.avsforum.com/f/195/soundbars
and
http://www.avsforum.com/f/109/home-theater-in-a-box

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Rca 46 Inch Led Lit Tv Led46c45rq
Gear in this thread