Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightanole View Post
To my knowledge there is no true 240hz panels out there.

One of the models that I looked at is proudly proclaimed to have native 240Hz refresh rate, Panasonic's TC-55AS680U, their flagship 1080p set for 2014, which only comes in that size (Toshiba's flagship 1080p set, a FALD panel over which I was briefly excited, is also only available as a 55" model). It has not shown up on the market yet.
What about the AS800?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
I don't care for the cnet settings either. They have sharpness at 0 which makes the picture out of focus. When I used the test patterns I found a setting of 50 was correct.
Also cnet complained about too much red. Their settings make the picture even more red.
I used their settings for my previous E series and they were excellent.
Are you sure you used the correct Cnet settings for the exact model? A dependency of 50 in sharpness setting is a red flag (unless it is preference but you mentioned you used a test pattern). And their settings have drastic reductions in the amount of red and so virtually impossible to look more red afterwards.
Yes, I've gone over their settings several times. Sometimes skin tones look fine. Other times too red. Greens and blues are like that too, sometimes too much and other times not enough. Weird. I have a few modes I've set up and flip between to compare.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #4143 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've been reading a lot of praise for the M602I-B3 model. I am leaning against a 4K tv due to prices and still new technology and this Vizio is now on my top 5 list to purchase this month. My question for those who have seen or own it, what would be your con's with the set be? I know Vizio has been coined as a value/economy brand in the past, but does this set keep up with big name brands? Want to make sure that it holds up for a few years, and is good for xbox one gaming and my dish network tv watching.

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #4144 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
I've been reading a lot of praise for the M602I-B3 model. I am leaning against a 4K tv due to prices and still new technology and this Vizio is now on my top 5 list to purchase this month. My question for those who have seen or own it, what would be your con's with the set be? I know Vizio has been coined as a value/economy brand in the past, but does this set keep up with big name brands? Want to make sure that it holds up for a few years, and is good for xbox one gaming and my dish network tv watching.
It's fine for Xbox gaming. My only con is I don't care for the silver edge on the bezel. It's distracting. It easily holds its own against more expensive sets.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #4145 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
We already have a Cosco membership but the only problem is, there is no Costco near the border :|
Has the one in St Catharines closed?
Costco Wholesale, 3 North Service Road, St Catharines, ON L2N 7R1, Canada

Cheers, Dave

Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 06-15-2014 at 11:16 AM.
post #4146 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Cons with this set, and I'll preface with saying I am being extremely picky:

2 piece Stand is kind of difficult to mount onto the tv for the first time setup because of the weird angle it slides into.
It's kind of deep.
There is a super small "inner bezel" besides the normal plastic bezel that you can see if you get up close to the TV and look for it. It shaves off about 1/16th of an inch from the picture.
I'm struggling to think of any more...seriously!

The picture is great, its as good and slightly better than my samsung UN55C8000. It has a ton of settings adjustments, so you can play until your heart is content. However, for my normal hdtv viewing and blurays...I'm finding the preset colors to be just great.

I have no idea why someone wouldn't choose this TV for the price-point....it makes me laugh thinking I paid 3x this for my samsung (3 years ago)!

Hopefully the long term reliability of the electronics inside this thing will hold up....that Nobody can comment on yet.
post #4147 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thanks for the input. As far as lag with gaming, does this set handle it ok? I would not be using the stand, it will be wall mounted

Sent from my iPhone 5
http://twitter.com/JBoDEAN

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #4148 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm curious if the people that bought the m602i-b3 are glad they did or if they wished they waited for the P-series? And how many people are holding off on buying a set until the P comes out to compare? I don't really care about the 4Ktv but there are reasons to suspect PQ may be better with the additional zones (and perhaps better dimming) so I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on the M.
post #4149 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 11:04 AM

Liked: 11
[quote=DoubleDAZ;24983706][quote=Crzyrio;24970985]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaria View Post
Quote:
We already have a Cosco membership but the only problem is, there is no Costco near the border :|
Has the one in St Catharines closed?
Costco Wholesale, 3 North Service Road, St Catharines, ON L2N 7R1, Canada
I am pretty sure it is still open. But Canadian Costco locations don't carry Vizio anymore? Only US locations.

Just got to Sams club, signed up for $45 and have the tv in my cart $1098 😊
post #4150 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 328
2014 Vizio Thread All models

If you are not in a rush wait for the P. That way you can make the most informed decision. As for those wishing they waited for the P kind of hard to do that since it hasn't been released yet. That's like saying I wish I waited for OLED to drop to sub 3K levels instead of buying. A TV now.

If you are down to the P or M and can wait do so, there is no harm in waking to see what the results will be. If you're in need of a TV now then get the M. There are plenty of owners who have posted they are very happy with their M (and E series) sets. @nickl712

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4151 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
I am pretty sure it is still open. But Canadian Costco locations don't carry Vizio anymore? Only US locations.

Just got to Sams club, signed up for $45 and have the tv in my cart $1098 😊
Sorry, I should have known that. Congrats on the new TV.

Cheers, Dave
post #4152 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
If you are not in a rush wait for the P. That way you can make the most informed decision. As for those wishing they waited for the P kind of hard to do that since it hasn't been released yet. That's like saying I wish I waited for OLED to drop to sub 3K levels instead of buying. A TV now.

If you are down to the P or M and can wait do so, there is no harm in waking to see what the results will be. If you're in need of a TV now then get the M. There are plenty of owners who have posted they are very happy with their M (and E series) sets. @nickl712

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought the 2014 55in E series back in April at Costco with the thinking that I would take it back in my 90 day return period after the 55in M was released. At this point I'm so happy with my 55E that I'm no longer contemplating taking it back. I spent $3k total on the last two tv's that I've owned in the last 20 years....so $679 for my new 55in seems like a steal at this point.
int_architect likes this.
post #4153 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Where the M series doesn't hold up against flagship models from Samsung and Sony in terms of PQ is color accuracy and video processing. Mind you they're not bad, just not up to LCD reference levels. If you don't watch much SD content then video processing is pretty much a moot point and I'm not sure how noticeable the differences in color accuracy is outside of a lab.

Also, the M series is unable to properly handle 1080p/24 film cadence and maintain full motion resolution unlike the Samsungs. From my personal experiences I have found that Samsung doesn't handle motion well whether it's TV or film based so to my eyes the test numbers don't match up to reality. SME if engaged looks a lot more natural on the Vizio than it does on the Samsungs I had.

I'm not familiar with gaming but I hear Vizio is not among the best with input lag, I hear Sony excels in this area. And lastly Vizio uses VA panels as opposed to IPS panels so viewing angles are not that great but the trade off is better PQ especially with black levels.

But the Vizio I would say also has some PQ attributes that are actually better than last year's flagship models from Sony and Samsung (according to some Sony has actually regressed from last year on their flagship 1080p display, i.e. they went to a ISP panel) with screen uniformity and shadow detail.

Essentially in overall PQ the M series matches last year's best LCD televisions. Some folks continue to say Vizio has great PQ for the money but IMO Vizio has great PQ regardless of price which is only bettered by plasma and OLED displays and a couple of over the top televisions from Sony and Samsung.

Where Vizio concedes significant ground is with non PQ features such as a web browser, HML/HDMI port, IR blaster, built-in channel guide, elaborate smart features and of course a curve screen which you have no choice if want Samsung's flagship 1080p display, the UNH8000. ALL lesser Samsung models do without its hardware based dimming scheme and consequently would fare poorly against the M series with its full array local dimming design.

If you can wait for the P series (I'm guessing mid August) then it's likely you'll have a TV that doesn't concede much of anything as it should have top notch video processing, be able to properly handle 1080p/24 film cadence and maintain full motion resolution, excellent input lag for gaming, even better shadow detail, HEVC for better compression (you need this to stream UHD but its beneficial for non UHD too), HDMI 2.0 ports (you'll need this to pass UHD content from an external device) and of course UHD resolution. Don't dismiss this TV because it's UHD as it has features that enhances overall PQ and at mid-tier prices compared to Sony and Samsung.

There should be a slew of reviews coming out in the next few weeks for the M series. Apparently cnet had an exclusive last week for their review.
fafrd and jhck66 like this.

Samsung PN60E7000
Samsung PN51F5300
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #4154 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickl712 View Post
I'm curious if the people that bought the m602i-b3 are glad they did or if they wished they waited for the P-series? And how many people are holding off on buying a set until the P comes out to compare? I don't really care about the 4Ktv but there are reasons to suspect PQ may be better with the additional zones (and perhaps better dimming) so I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on the M.
I am more than happy with my purchase and I'm glad I held out over the E series. My only issue is that the 60" is to large for the room it's in and it's a tad to close (6-7'). I have to add that I'm impressed with the build quality over past Vizio sets, they have improved quite a bit....I know longer describe them to family and friends as a turd with a diamond glued to it.

I have no intention of returning it and I have decided to to pick up a 50" P series to replace a samsung PN50C8000.
post #4155 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Issues with subtitles on the E series ?

Question for those that might have noticed this.

We were watching "blue is the warmest color" off netflix last night on our e420i.

The language is French and has English subtitles

Anyway, I noticed that there is a for lack of a better term a "flash" or "pulse" every time a new subtitle comes up. After noticing it, it drove me crazy. I then verified it on a another movie by turning on subtitles and it did the same thing.

So is this a artifact of the local dimming that this TV uses? The same movie was fine on our Sharp.

Is there anyway to fix this? We don't watch a lot of movies with subtitles, but we do occasionally?

Thx in advance
post #4156 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcompguy View Post
Question for those that might have noticed this.

We were watching "blue is the warmest color" off netflix last night on our e420i.

The language is French and has English subtitles

Anyway, I noticed that there is a for lack of a better term a "flash" or "pulse" every time a new subtitle comes up. After noticing it, it drove me crazy. I then verified it on a another movie by turning on subtitles and it did the same thing.

So is this a artifact of the local dimming that this TV uses? The same movie was fine on our Sharp.

Is there anyway to fix this? We don't watch a lot of movies with subtitles, but we do occasionally?

Thx in advance
Yes, I'm thinking your flashing is the result of your television's local dimming scheme. The fix would be to turn off Active LED Zones under Advance Picture settings when watching movies with subtitles.

Samsung PN60E7000
Samsung PN51F5300
post #4157 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Is there anyway to fix this? We don't watch a lot of movies with subtitles, but we do occasionally

Have you tried playing around with the "Subtitle appearance" Netflix profile setting? Maybe some combination of color and background will not cause the flash.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #4158 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 139
This is slightly off-tpic but this post seems to get the most Vizio-related traffic… Do any of the owners of Vizio 2013 M-series sets know how to explain the picture settings? The one I just got has firmware version 1.25. All the user posted picture settings I have found here and online have gain and offset figures well over 100, for example 147, 154, etc. But the CMS in the set I have only allows -100 to +100 so I can't duplicate those. And it has many more choices than just gain and offset -- saturation, hue, etc. And more colors than just red, green , blue -- magenta, cyan. Did Vizio change the CMS in later firmware versions or sets? Am I supposed to assume 147 = +47? Just looking to dial in the picture settings and can't find a single post on any of the sites online that offer settings compatible with the CMS on this set.

Thanks.
post #4159 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Quote:
Is there anyway to fix this? We don't watch a lot of movies with subtitles, but we do occasionally

Have you tried playing around with the "Subtitle appearance" Netflix profile setting? Maybe some combination of color and background will not cause the flash.
Yes, tried the various settings for subtitles , but no joy.

Turning off local dimming fixes the issue but seriously degrades the overall picture quality with grey instead of back bars on letterbox stuff.

Too bad I can't speak, French, Italian, and Portuguese
post #4160 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

The local dimming issue is why I returned my E series and got an M series

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

post #4161 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
This is slightly off-tpic but this post seems to get the most Vizio-related traffic… Do any of the owners of Vizio 2013 M-series sets know how to explain the picture settings? The one I just got has firmware version 1.25. All the user posted picture settings I have found here and online have gain and offset figures well over 100, for example 147, 154, etc. But the CMS in the set I have only allows -100 to +100 so I can't duplicate those. And it has many more choices than just gain and offset -- saturation, hue, etc. And more colors than just red, green , blue -- magenta, cyan. Did Vizio change the CMS in later firmware versions or sets? Am I supposed to assume 147 = +47? Just looking to dial in the picture settings and can't find a single post on any of the sites online that offer settings compatible with the CMS on this set.

Thanks.
Yes, there was a some slight hardware changes and different firmware. My advice, don't copy another person's settings and don't touch the CMS unless you have a meter and software to adjust them properly. Every set is different so copying someone else good make it better or worse, just rolling the dice.
post #4162 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.
Yes, there was a some slight hardware changes and different firmware. My advice, don't copy another person's settings and don't touch the CMS unless you have a meter and software to adjust them properly. Every set is different so copying someone else good make it better or worse, just rolling the dice.
Seems like a pretty major upgrade to the CMS mid-year if so. The dilemma with not using anyone else's settings is that I will have no way to really judge if I'll keep this TV. Out of the box the picture kind of sucks (at least by the standard I am coming from). I will hire a calibrator if I decide to keep it but I want to at least get some reassurance that I can get closer using settings others have done. I have already tried just using the settings others have posted unrelated to the color temp -- basic backlight, brightness, color, tint, contrast, etc. -- and it still seems WAY off. I've done this with my previous sets before -- used posted settings to get closer then hired a calibrator later. Just disappointed so far.
post #4163 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.
Seems like a pretty major upgrade to the CMS mid-year if so. The dilemma with not using anyone else's settings is that I will have no way to really judge if I'll keep this TV. Out of the box the picture kind of sucks (at least by the standard I am coming from). I will hire a calibrator if I decide to keep it but I want to at least get some reassurance that I can get closer using settings others have done. I have already tried just using the settings others have posted unrelated to the color temp -- basic backlight, brightness, color, tint, contrast, etc. -- and it still seems WAY off. I've done this with my previous sets before -- used posted settings to get closer then hired a calibrator later. Just disappointed so far.
Agree, and they didn't do it mid year, only starting Dec of last year. Almost like they were testing the new menus for the 2014 models or maybe starting to use some components found in the 2014 models.

You should invest in a test patter discs or download the free one on AVS, that would help you a lot to get the basic settings correct. However, I will say I have 3 Vizio TVs and have monitored the Cnet calibration settings for many of their sets. For the 2013 e-series (and many other Vizios) setting brightness to 50, sharpness to 0, color to 50, tint to 0 and contrast around 75, then backlight to taste and maybe start with 50. Those settings appear pretty common for most calibrations and would get you close. But that is the other firmware and not sure on the range/scale of the basic settings in the newer firmware. Any advanced settings are where the biggest discrepancies usually are.
post #4164 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.
Agree, and they didn't do it mid year, only starting Dec of last year. Almost like they were testing the new menus for the 2014 models or maybe starting to use some components found in the 2014 models.

You should invest in a test patter discs or download the free one on AVS, that would help you a lot to get the basic settings correct. However, I will say I have 3 Vizio TVs and have monitored the Cnet calibration settings for many of their sets. For the 2013 e-series (and many other Vizios) setting brightness to 50, sharpness to 0, color to 50, tint to 0 and contrast around 75, then backlight to taste and maybe start with 50. Those settings appear pretty common for most calibrations and would get you close. But that is the other firmware and not sure on the range/scale of the basic settings in the newer firmware. Any advanced settings are where the biggest discrepancies usually are.
Thanks. By mid-year I meant mid-product cycle year…

I do have the Spears & Munsil disc and have started using it. I just don't think it will be that helpful with color temp settings. When I apply some of the settings you mention which I have seen online too for the general stuff -- sharpness, color, tint, etc. -- the color gets a lot worse than it started. Faces are too red, the whole image is a tad cloudy. But at least it's better in terms of no soap opera effect. Hope now is that I can dial the color in a bit to see if I can get both a clean image and a reasonably accurate looking (to the eye) color.
post #4165 of 5074 Old 06-15-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.

Thanks. By mid-year I meant mid-product cycle year…

I do have the Spears & Munsil disc and have started using it. I just don't think it will be that helpful with color temp settings. When I apply some of the settings you mention which I have seen online too for the general stuff -- sharpness, color, tint, etc. -- the color gets a lot worse than it started. Faces are too red, the whole image is a tad cloudy. But at least it's better in terms of no soap opera effect. Hope now is that I can dial the color in a bit to see if I can get both a clean image and a reasonably accurate looking (to the eye) color.
Warm is the most accurate color temp. If you are coming from standard or cool you will think warm is too red, but that is the standard and most accurate.
post #4166 of 5074 Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 AM

Could someone comment on the difference between the

602i-B3 and Samsung un60h6350afxzc

They look very similar and the price at a local retailer has been dropped to around the same as Vizio.
post #4167 of 5074 Old 06-16-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

They look very similar and the price at a local retailer has been dropped to around the same as Vizio.
I'm sure you can pull up a side by side of the specs from Samsungs website and Vizios website...if not Google can provide some insight for the lazy.
post #4168 of 5074 Old 06-16-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtn5000 View Post
Quote:

I'm sure you can pull up a side by side of the specs from Samsungs website and Vizios website...if not Google can provide some insight for the lazy.
I guess I did not word my question well enough.

I am more interested in peoples personal opinions.

They are both Full array led's, Samsung is 120Hz with CMR 240 Hz. The border looks nicer on the Samsung imo. Has anyone got the chance to see the Samsung on display?
post #4169 of 5074 Old 06-16-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I've seen the Samsung in a store which isn't a good comparison. The vizio is easily better. I suspect that would be the same at home side by side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

post #4170 of 5074 Old 06-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They are both Full array led's, Samsung is 120Hz with CMR 240 Hz. The border looks nicer on the Samsung imo. Has anyone got the chance to see the Samsung on display?[/quote]

The Samsung 6350 is more of a direct-lit (fewer LEDS) than Full Array and has no dimming scheme, not even frame/global diming. I think you're probably aware of David Katzmaier's opinion between the two sets but if not he has reviewed both sets and you can check them out at cnet.

Also, in the event you're not aware of the thread Vizio Demo: M Series vs. Samsung H7150

It's not the 6350 but it is a step up model from it.

Samsung PN60E7000
Samsung PN51F5300
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Vizio
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page