post #4351 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
Amazon now has twenty 2014 Vizio models listed. This is up from a toggling 17/18. Not sure what is new. I see the M492 is in stock, not sure if it was there before.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_...nid=4972967011

Until today they've only had four of the 2014 M-Series models listed; they've added the 49" and 55" models. They're now listing all of the M-Series models which are available from Vizio's online store, all in stock, all Prime shipping eligible.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4352 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kbug77 View Post
So how many other people are sitting around, money in their account, just waiting for the P series?
My 55ST50 ate it a few weeks ago and having to do/watch everything on my 22 inch monitor is very tedious. This "Fall" release date is awful.
Count me in...if the promise of the P becomes reality!

PSN ID: Kranin
post #4353 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ11 View Post
I am. If it's got better color and motion than the M (very likely) and a <30ms input lag, I'll go for a 55' or 60'. Good to know a lot of us are in the same boat.
I am almost completely decided on the 65 inch P series. I have given some thought to the JVC Diamond series since it is also made by AmTran.

And depending on the price of the 65 inch R series...if it's announced in time...

So many "ifs"!!!
post #4354 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edved03 View Post
I am almost completely decided on the 65 inch P series. I have given some thought to the JVC Diamond series since it is also made by AmTran.

And depending on the price of the 65 inch R series...if it's announced in time...

So many "ifs"!!!
That's a name I haven't heard of in years...JVC.

Are the reviews of their branded products good?
post #4355 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

So many "ifs"!!!
The JVC may be 4K but it's going to be very feature anemic compared to the P series. No 120hz input, no HDMI 2.0 if I remember correctly, and no badass 6 core processor. Among a couple other things.
post #4356 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
The JVC may be 4K but it's going to be very feature anemic compared to the P series. No 120hz input, no HDMI 2.0 if I remember correctly, and no badass 6 core processor. Among a couple other things.
http://www.cnet.com/products/jvc-dm65usr/

Hopefully that link works.

Not sure about the processor but the rest looked comparable. I think I trust the vizio name a little more so I am still leaning to the P series. And if the 65 inch R series is affordable, then all bets are off!
post #4357 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:

Not sure about the processor but the rest looked comparable. I think I trust the vizio name a little more so I am still leaning to the P series. And if the 65 inch R series is affordable, then all bets are off!
Here's a clickable link, doesn't look like you have enough posts yet to post a working URL.

Interesting specs for a 65" at $2K.
post #4358 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's interesting that they bundle a Roku Streaming stick (probably the MHL one) as well implement a "roll your own" version of Android TV (which was announced today). I can't find a spec which claims HEVC decoding or what its APU is like.

post #4359 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
...and no badass 6 core processor.
You realize the processor you're all exciting about it used only for the smart apps and doesn't really have any bearing on the picture quality of video right? It's akin to the processor in a tablet rendering apps and the menu, except the screen is much larger.
post #4360 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:

So I was wrong about the HDMI ports. But AFAIK the P series will be the very first TV to accept a true 120FPS signal, like from a PC.
post #4361 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
You realize the processor you're all exciting about it used only for the smart apps...
In the interviews with vizio reps from CES they said the quad core gpu would be used to handle picture quality as well as apps and whatnot.
post #4362 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
In the interviews with vizio reps from CES they said the quad core gpu would be used to handle picture quality as well as apps and whatnot.
I'm not sure how that works. In the past there have been dedicated video processor in TVs that handle deinterlacing and scaling. I would be surprised if they moved all that into a general purpose GPU since it's not trivial programming and is hard to make sure you don't get any glitches in playback.
post #4363 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
You realize the processor you're all exciting about it used only for the smart apps and doesn't really have any bearing on the picture quality of video right? It's akin to the processor in a tablet rendering apps and the menu, except the screen is much larger.

One of the complaints you see often is that apps are laggy/slow. The hexcore proc should help with that especially if you start streaming 4k. Not only that but the proc may also help with the lag time for video games (which is important to many here, but not me). While your generality of companies usually using a separate gpu for image is correct, they may change things and use the CPU as well. We won't know anything however until the set is released and we can get hands on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4364 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 127
The 2014 M series model line-up from 32 to 70 inches is going to have FALD while the 80 inch model will remain edge-lit. Though many of us suspected this was the case by deciphering Vizio's naming scheme for their model codes this was confirmed by Vizio's product marketing manager and later on by Vizio's official press release on June 10. There is no "I guess we'll see" with the 70" model or "semi confirmation" with the 80 inch model. And it's 36 diming zones for the 70" model.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a bit testy but these discussions at times unresolve issues when some simple googling would suffice.
josephpearson likes this.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer

Last edited by venus933; 06-25-2014 at 06:23 PM.
post #4365 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
It's interesting that they bundle a Roku Streaming stick (probably the MHL one) as well implement a "roll your own" version of Android TV (which was announced today). I can't find a spec which claims HEVC decoding or what its APU is like.
Not really much detail available at all.
post #4366 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
So how many other people are sitting around, money in their account, just waiting for the P series?
My 55ST50 ate it a few weeks ago and having to do/watch everything on my 22 inch monitor is very tedious. This "Fall" release date is awful.
I am too. I have a broken 58" Sammy plasma. Been broken since winter. I will not buy a TV until I see it in person and read a review on the P.
post #4367 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't think that's true. Four of those cores are are a GPU; they have to be running some picture processing features through them. Of course, it has four times as many pixels to crunch, so it needs a much beefier GPU than the 1080p models. As far as the dual core CPU is concerned, every response to a command will be handled by it, as well as smart apps. Another very significant feature is HEVC decoding; besides encoding 4K content in it, Netflix will also be creating video encodes at other resolutions in it, at a 40% to 50% savings in bandwidth. Some of us with bandwidth caps are looking forward to that.

post #4368 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've been strongly considering an M-series (probably 55") but I'm also interested in the P-series. But since I expect to mostly use it with 1080P content I'm wondering how the 4K screen deals with it.

My understanding is that in general 4K displays will do some upscaling/upsampling, interpolating the 1080P pixels. However, is there ever an option to do straight nearest-neighbor scaling, such that one 1080P pixel becomes four (2x2) pixels on the display? Or for a 720P image, nine (3x3) pixels.

The reason that I ask is that in general, anything besides pixel-perfect nearest neighbor scaling results in blurring, which I try to avoid in games with pixel art. I would most likely want to connect a computer outputting 1080P (at 120Hz), so I would want to keep the image as sharp as possible. Basically I would prefer the "Blocking" outcome (left image) in this picture: https://s3.amazonaws.com/red_3/uploa...-artifacts.png

I realize the P-series isn't out yet so it's hard to say for sure, but my impression is that 4K TVs never allow this "blocky" scaling of 1080P content and always produce a blurrier image than a 1080P screen of the same size. However I also realize that the pixel density might be so high that the effect is hardly even noticeable.

I know this is a pretty obscure request, but does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this issue?

Along the same lines, I would expect 720P content to look better on a 4K display than on a 1080P display, due to the 3x integer scaling. Does anyone know if that's actually true?
post #4369 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
So I was wrong about the HDMI ports. But AFAIK the P series will be the very first TV to accept a true 120FPS signal, like from a PC.
Actually a number of TVs will accept and display a 120FPS/120Hz signal from a PC, though in an "unsupported" way. There are some instructions and examples here:
http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv/

Vizio TVs actually have a good track record for accepting 120Hz signals. In fact someone mentioned 120Hz input working on a 2014 Vizio in one of these threads, though I can't remember if it was an E or M-series (unfortunately I'm bad at searching these forums). It actually wouldn't surprise me if all 2014 Vizios accept a 120Hz signal, even if it's not advertised as a feature (and it might disable some image processing settings). It would be nice to get confirmation though, since that's a pretty significant feature that might not be limited to the P-series (and R I imagine).

EDIT: Found it, confirmed 120Hz input on the M602I-B3:

Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread

"Got the M602I-B3 at Costco a couple weeks ago. I can't speak for the X1 or PS4 but this is a must buy for PC gaming. Using a dual link DVI cord and an hdmi adapter I can get a clean 1920x1080 120Hz signal with negligible latency."

I suppose there is still a chance that other sizes might not accept 120Hz, but it's an encouraging sign at least!

Last edited by Zomboe; 06-25-2014 at 08:03 PM.
post #4370 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboe View Post

EDIT: Found it, confirmed 120Hz input on the M602I-B3:

Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread
Well that is super interesting. If I was a less patient man I'd be running out and getting a 70 inch M series ASAP. The specs of the P series are enough to keep me waiting though. There seems to be lots of features trickling down through the model lineup with Vizio this year. Great for us consumers.
tadslippy likes this.
post #4371 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Would any owners of either the E or M series give their opinion on how their TV handles motion when Smooth Motion effect (Soap Opera Effect) is turned off? How much judder or choppiness is there if any? Does the cnet review seem to match what you are seeing? I am trying really hard to justify paying an extra $200-$300 more for M2i-B series over the Samsung plasma PN51F5300 and I think the M2i-B would be worth it if what I am interpreting cnet as saying is wrong, which is the M2i-B doesn't handle motion all that well.
post #4372 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 276
You didn't state which size of the M series you were looking at. If motion is important than the plasma will handle it better in most situations. If people were having major issues with motion, I think they would be posting about it in the owners threads also if most of your viewing is in a light controlled environment then the 5300 would probably win again. Of course choosing either set will have its drawbacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4373 of 4841 Old 06-25-2014, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
You didn't state which size of the M series you were looking at. If motion is important than the plasma will handle it better in most situations. If people were having major issues with motion, I think they would be posting about it in the owners threads also if most of your viewing is in a light controlled environment then the 5300 would probably win again. Of course choosing either set will have its drawbacks.
Thanks for the feedback. I am looking at the 55". My environment doesn't have too much direct sunlight mostly just in the early mornings, there is a window facing east. I currently have a CRT in this room which can struggle with reflections early in the morning. About 75% of my movie watching is after the sun goes down. I would much rather buy some curtains than deal with bad judder. Motion is important enough that anything more than occasional mild judder is a turnoff. Judder effect during panning shots drives me crazy. I have been holding out on the M series hoping that it would fit the bill so I could have something for both daytime and nightime use. I am just trying to get a better idea on how the M series handles motion. The TV sales guy at my local costco wouldn't let me touch the remote of their 60" M that was on display, let alone insert a thumb drive to play some choice content. I wasn't too impressed with the E series playing the hobbit at the time and how it was handling motion. Maybe I am just overly sensitive to judder compaired to most people.
post #4374 of 4841 Old 06-26-2014, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I hadn't even thought about the P series until the release of the M552i-B2 got delayed (now out). Since my 6-year old 40" Sony Bravia is still working I have begun to think that since I don't buy a new TV every year or two like some on this forum, I should at least get the newest technology when I do get something - therefor the P. I have thought about getting an M in about a month or two, and then return it before the 90 days is over for a P. The only potential problem with that plan is that if I do it, Vizio will decide to delay the release of the P until next spring and I will be stuck with the M.
post #4375 of 4841 Old 06-27-2014, 12:31 AM

Red face 49 or 50?

So ive been lurking for some time waiting for a reasonable sized 2014 vizio for my bedroom and i think the time has come.

amazon has the 49in on sale for 699 and i might just bite the bullet but i was reading elsewhere that the 50in is coming out as well with a different B number. Now besides the obvious 1in, is there any other difference? like different amount of zones or refresh rate or what have you?

It doesnt make sense to me that a company would make 2 tv's with only one inch in a difference or maybe im the crazy one

any help here would my much appreciated.
post #4376 of 4841 Old 06-27-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmileo View Post
So ive been lurking for some time waiting for a reasonable sized 2014 vizio for my bedroom and i think the time has come.

amazon has the 49in on sale for 699 and i might just bite the bullet but i was reading elsewhere that the 50in is coming out as well with a different B number. Now besides the obvious 1in, is there any other difference? like different amount of zones or refresh rate or what have you?

It doesnt make sense to me that a company would make 2 tv's with only one inch in a difference or maybe im the crazy one

I agree but at this point it would be just speculation on any other differences though I'm reasonably sure it'll have the same number of zones and refresh rate.

Samsung PN60E7000
post #4377 of 4841 Old 06-27-2014, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:

My bedroom set is the Vizio E550i-B2, the same one David Katzmaier reviewed for CNet. I got it on Amazon for $649. $699 seems to be the discounted norm right now. More screen area than the 49 or 50 inch models, same or lower price. I'm quite happy with mine.
post #4378 of 4841 Old 06-27-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzo3 View Post
My bedroom set is the Vizio E550i-B2, the same one David Katzmaier reviewed for CNet. I got it on Amazon for $649. $699 seems to be the discounted norm right now. More screen area than the 49 or 50 inch models, same or lower price. I'm quite happy with mine.
whoa whoa whoa hold the phone. When did you get it for 649? right now its 899 on amazon. did you price match it somewhere? cause hell id get the 55 for that price.
post #4379 of 4841 Old 06-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
whoa whoa whoa hold the phone. When did you get it for 649? right now its 899 on amazon. did you price match it somewhere? cause hell id get the 55 for that price.
The M552i-B2 is $899 on Amazon, not the E550i-B2 that Ronzo3 is referring to

Samsung PN60E7000
post #4380 of 4841 Old 06-27-2014, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Delivered March 14th. Price was $699 less a $50 reduction for Prime membership promo; no tax (at that time), and free delivery.

Best Buy is carrying it for $699 in South Florida.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Vizio
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page