post #4801 of 4807 Old Today, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkalibur View Post
On this set, yes. I thought there was more to motion blur in LCDs than just framerate. Something about the speed at which pixels can be changed, translating to refresh rate. So I guess I was hoping that a higher native refresh, in combination with scanning backlight, could reduce the perceived blur even without interpolation.

If not then that puts my mind at ease I have no desire for SOE, so if that is always required then I'm not missing anything.

It's true that the faster the pixel transition, the lower the blur caused from slow pixel transition (which is different than persistence-based motion blur). I believe this was a significant drawback of LCD in the past but has been largely corrected to the point that persistence-based motion blur dominates visible motion blur on modern LCDs.

More specifically, a scanning backlight allows a near 'perfect' effective pixel transition (as long as the actual underlying transition is fast enough) because the backlight is turned OFF until the transition is largely completed.

The best that can be done without activating frame interpolation (SOE) is to effectively double the effective frame rate and half the apparent persistence-based motion blur by only turning on the backlight half of the time. Backlight turns on for half period (8.3ms or 120Hz effective framerate) then turns of just before pixel transition to new value begins, then turns on after transition is completed, etc...

Now if the pixel is fast enough (and the backlight is bright enough), effective framerate can be increased above this level (and persistence-based motion blur can be reduced below this level). For example, the backlight can be strobed on for only one-quarter of the period to deliver an effective framerate of 240Hz with no motion interpolation, but this will reduce brightness by 75%. But this 60-Hz backlight blinking can also introduce noticeable flicker (which is why combining backlight blinking with frame interpolation is generally considered better).

The Soap Opera Effect is generally only an issue with 24fps cinema, where motion blur should not be an issue. For fast-action sports like hockey where even at 60fps the persistence-based motion blur is very noticeable, frame interpolation (SOE) is generally considered a big improvement in the image quality (if properly implemented).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 4807 Old Today, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
The Soap Opera Effect is generally only an issue with 24fps cinema, where motion blur should not be an issue. For fast-action sports like hockey where even at 60fps the persistence-based motion blur is very noticeable, frame interpolation (SOE) is generally considered a big improvement in the image quality (if properly implemented).
Thank you for the very detailed explanation! This helps me understand it a lot better. And how it's implemented on the Vizio makes more sense now.

Movies and scripted TV are the vast majority of what I watch. Now, if only the tv could intelligently switch interpolation on/off by detecting source framerate :-)
post #4803 of 4807 Old Today, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
I agree that the representation of the 80" M Series is misleading, especially because under 'Compare M-Series TVs' the table shows 'LED Backlight' filled with 'Full Array LED' for all M-Series TVs including the 80"...
In the fine print at the bottom of the comparison page, it states:

* 80" TV is Edge lit

So it is accurate, but I agree that it is misleading - especially since most people probably miss the footnote...
post #4804 of 4807 Old Today, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkalibur View Post
Thank you for the very detailed explanation! This helps me understand it a lot better. And how it's implemented on the Vizio makes more sense now.

Movies and scripted TV are the vast majority of what I watch. Now, if only the tv could intelligently switch interpolation on/off by detecting source framerate :-)

Neither of those content sources should cause much motion blur (beyond what has already been baked into the source :-

I think most TVs now have a 'sports' ode which intended to capture the settings for live-action TV including frame interpolation.
post #4805 of 4807 Old Today, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rock View Post
In the fine print at the bottom of the comparison page, it states:

* 80" TV is Edge lit

So it is accurate, but I agree that it is misleading - especially since most people probably miss the footnote...

Good catch - I had not noticed that. But in any case, I agree, accurate but misleading bordering on the inaccurate. I that is Vizio's biggest sin this year, I'm willing to let it slide (especially if they deliver on the 65" R Series :-)
post #4806 of 4807 Old Today, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I just purchased a M322I-B1 Vizio 32" Smart TV and was wondering if anyone had any picture settings that work best with it. Any help would be great, thanks!
post #4807 of 4807 Old Today, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Check the m series owners thread. Not sure anyone has posted any settings for the 32 as of yet.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Vizio
Gear in this thread