post #4861 of 5747 Old 08-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Now that I have been in a few Vizio owners' homes and seen the picture in real world lighting and condiditions, if I were forced into buying an LCD display today I'd choose one of the vizio's without question.

Although it doesn't have the CR/blacklevel of the extremely expensive Sony's and Samsung's (and seems to be at a lower gamma), I have yet to see one with all the vertical banding/uniformity issues that I see on the Sammy's and Sony's. I'm less distracted by CR and black levels than I am about big Blotches all over my screen pulling me out of my films. So with vizio panels at like hundreds of dollars compared the the more annoying picture of sets that are thousands and thousands more, its a real no brainer and simply hassle free. Good job Vizio.

I've noticed very noticeable vertical banding on the 49" model. konigsberg7 is going on his 5th 65" model in his persistent search for one without vertical banding. Great uniformity as long as there is no camera panning though.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 5747 Old 08-06-2014, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
VIZIO Recalls to Repair 39- and 42-Inch E-Series Flat Panel Televisions....

Recall just announced on some 2014 E-series TV's due to risk of tipping over. I just submitted a claim on Vizio's website by entering my serial number, they said they would ship me a new stand within 7 business days.

VIZIO Recalls to Repair 39- and 42-Inch E-Series Flat Panel Televisions Due to Risk of Tip Over:
Model No. E390-B0
Smart TV Model No. E390i-B0
Smart TV Model No. E420i-B0

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/...l-Televisions/
post #4863 of 5747 Old 08-06-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
I've noticed very noticeable vertical banding on the 49" model. konigsberg7 is going on his 5th 65" model in his persistent search for one without vertical banding. Great uniformity as long as there is no camera panning though.

Are we talking E-Series of M-Series?
post #4864 of 5747 Old 08-06-2014, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Agreed, I see very obvious vertical banding on my M652i when watching baseball during panning scenes. I haven't owned another LCD in many years though, always been a plasma man, so I don't know if I'm being sensitive to it. I think issues other LCDs have would be even more distracting to me, which is why I haven't returned it.
post #4865 of 5747 Old 08-06-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 399
To clarify, I've not seen the M series except in the storefront. Also, I've never seen a 65inch LCD that did not have vertical banding from any company.
post #4866 of 5747 Old 08-06-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
To clarify, I've not seen the M series except in the storefront. Also, I've never seen a 65inch LCD that did not have vertical banding from any company.

Thanks. Are there any theories as why? (65" LCD panels in particular)? I believe I just read that AOU supplies the vast majority of 65" LCD panels to the market...
post #4867 of 5747 Old 08-06-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrandres View Post
Recall just announced on some 2014 E-series TV's due to risk of tipping over. I just submitted a claim on Vizio's website by entering my serial number, they said they would ship me a new stand within 7 business days.

VIZIO Recalls to Repair 39- and 42-Inch E-Series Flat Panel Televisions Due to Risk of Tip Over:
Model No. E390-B0
Smart TV Model No. E390i-B0
Smart TV Model No. E420i-B0

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/...l-Televisions/
http://support.vizio.com/safety-notice
post #4868 of 5747 Old 08-06-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

There was somebody on one of the forums that seemed to be knowledgeable on the details of the manufacturing process and he was explaining something about the screen layers. The interpretation I got from what he was saying (it was pretty technical) was that the roll size for one of the layers of the screen required multiple splices to cover the entire area of the 65 inch sets and the splices needed considerable overlap for the adhesion to blend in. Somehow sets smaller (and even one larger 70inch) were able to get away with less splices. I likened it to the way fabric roles are used on upholstery. Of course, this was just the way I understood the discussion and could be mangling this a bit, or a lot....
post #4869 of 5747 Old 08-06-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Thanks. Are there any theories as why? (65" LCD panels in particular)? I believe I just read that AOU supplies the vast majority of 65" LCD panels to the market...
I'd like to know this as well. My last day to return it tomorrow. I'd decided to live with the banding because I didn't think I had a choice, and any other LCD would have worse issues. But if the 60" M or 70" E don't have banding I'll get one of those instead.
post #4870 of 5747 Old 08-06-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

btw the way I see it, you are always going to see extremely slight uniformity/banding type artifacts even on a plasma from what I've seen, its just that its in the 99% imperceptible range and truly requires hunting for it with slides and only getting the most fleeting glimpses of it on rare occasions in content, whereas the distracting types catch your eye at times without you looking for it and then you notice it in that general area on more than a few occasions throughout your viewing.

If you have a 65 incher that's bad, its not automatic that the 60 inch will be the same - but I wouldn't count on another 65 incher being much more of an improvement. completely my opinion of course.
post #4871 of 5747 Old 08-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Are we talking E-Series of M-Series?

Sorry, the M series for both me and konigsberg7. I believe I'm seeing the LEDs with panning shots, I have a suspicion that a downside to FA backlighting may be that it's more susceptible to banding.

I actually auditioned 2 of them. Also, I didn't like how the M series handled motion with or without SME and I thought it had poor video processing as some low light scenes had noticeable video noise. These are two areas that I think the M series has regressed from last year's model.

I thought the dimming scheme was a net plus as I noticed no non blooming light bleeding issues (that's quite an accomplishment!) but blooming was quite evident in some scenes (the massacre at the church/dress rehearsal early in "Kill Bill Vol. 2" where Beatrix Kiddo is illuminated in her white wedding dress looked really bad). Color performance was terrible, I know, getting the television calibrated would remedy that to acceptable standards but you should be able get decent color performance from one of the calibrated settings out of the box.

I don't see the P series with its 64-72 zones making enough of a difference so surprisingly my interest has turned more towards to the R series. It would be nice if the R series could be available in time before the F8500 goes out of stock.

As for my bedroom TV I ended up getting the 51" F5300, fortunately for me it works out that its panel with no coating or filtering whatsoever is a non factor in my environment. I'm still astonished with its PQ as this $550 unit is right up there with my E7000 except with a tad less video processing prowess and of course the screen filtering. You would never think a TV that looks so terrible at the store would look so great in my bedroom.

I'm thinking of getting a Vizio LT CoStar to make it a smart TV.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer

Last edited by venus933; 08-06-2014 at 06:44 PM.
post #4872 of 5747 Old 08-07-2014, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
^ Hmm, those comments about the motion processing on the M are really concerning me. I have all plasmas now, and my last foray into LCD (in 2010) ended with an abrupt return after 3 minutes of watching sports and seeing how terribly it handled panning and motion processing. I hope I find the M's livable, because I really don't know what other TV I would buy at this point -- I need deep blacks, I need 70-80", and I prefer it to be under $2500.

The R-series will be interesting for sure, but there's a couple puzzling things about it too:

1. Why in the hell would they include a built-in soundbar and wireless sub? I'm guessing a large number of people who shell out for the top-of-the-line TV are already going to have an audio system that's better than any soundbar. And if they don't, they can buy a soundbar. This is just going to up the cost unnecessarily.

2. Why only 65" and 120"? 65" is a bit too small for me, 120" is too big (and probably out of my budget as well). Why not throw an 80" in there?
edpowers likes this.
post #4873 of 5747 Old 08-07-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 374
If you are looking at the P and R series sets I would worry a little less. They have totally different processing than the E and M. Both are advertised to do 24/48 which should mean better processing of motion. Time will tell however.
post #4874 of 5747 Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmj View Post
^ Hmm, those comments about the motion processing on the M are really concerning me. I have all plasmas now, and my last foray into LCD (in 2010) ended with an abrupt return after 3 minutes of watching sports and seeing how terribly it handled panning and motion processing. I hope I find the M's livable, because I really don't know what other TV I would buy at this point -- I need deep blacks, I need 70-80", and I prefer it to be under $2500.

The R-series will be interesting for sure, but there's a couple puzzling things about it too:

1. Why in the hell would they include a built-in soundbar and wireless sub? I'm guessing a large number of people who shell out for the top-of-the-line TV are already going to have an audio system that's better than any soundbar. And if they don't, they can buy a soundbar. This is just going to up the cost unnecessarily.

2. Why only 65" and 120"? 65" is a bit too small for me, 120" is too big (and probably out of my budget as well). Why not throw an 80" in there?
If you turn on both Smooth Motion (frame interpolation) and the Motion Blur Reduction settings, I think you'll find sports look great on the M. Just remember to turn SM back off before watching anything shot in 24fps, unless you prefer the soap opera effect.
rogersmj likes this.
post #4875 of 5747 Old 08-07-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmj View Post
I have the M652i, and watch baseball on it every night. I came from owning only plasma since 2009, and don't find the motion to be an issue. I created two custom picture modes when I calibrated that were nearly identical, except one had motion smoothing set to low and motion blur reduction on. I use that one only for sports.

The motion isn't what bothers me though, it's the banding that I see when the camera pans. I don't see it any other time, and I'm not sure if I'm overly sensitive because I'm used to perfect uniformity from plasma.
rogersmj likes this.
post #4876 of 5747 Old 08-07-2014, 08:15 PM

Liked: 10
Curious about the curve? M602I-B3

I was looking at my newly bought M602I-B3 today and was wondering whether or not the curve I am seeing on the bottom edge is normal? Or maybe my eyes are just deceiving me. Is this normal for this unit?

#paranoid
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vizio_edge.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	202137  
post #4877 of 5747 Old 08-07-2014, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Leaning towards the E-Series 70", but would really love the M-Series Remote for Netflix. Would the M-Series Remote work with the E-Series and does Vizio sell it separately (not seeing it on their website)? Do 3rd party keyboards work with the TV? Bluetooth?
post #4878 of 5747 Old 08-08-2014, 03:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 132
rebirth24;
I can't tell from that pix with all the reflections. What does the side view of that are look like? Is the screen and/or frame perfectly flat? If you can try another few pics to minimize the reflections it may help show this.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #4879 of 5747 Old 08-10-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hey guys, just a quick warning.

Target is passing off the E701i-A3 (2013 model) as the E700i-B2 (2014 model).

I went to a local Target that showed the E700i-B2 as in stock:
http://www.target.com/p/vizio-70-cla...3/-/A-14408844

They wheeled out a E701i-A3. I'm not sure what the original box looked like, but this one had the same red honeycomb picture on the 2014 models so Vizio may have updated the box artwork. Only in very fine print did I see E701i and it did not advertise full array backlight. The Target display also didn't list the model number so you have to check the box.

I spoke the guy there and both the E701i-A3 and E700i-B2 have the same target stock number, so there is no way for them to differentiate models. It looks like they're trying to get rid of the old models before shipping the new ones.

As far as I'm concerned this is false advertising, and I'm pretty annoyed. You guys may want to check your boxes to make sure you got what you think you got. If anyone did not, please let us know.

Costco may be doing the same thing. I went to Costco yesterday as well since their website was advertising the new model and they also only had the 2013 model in store. I don't know if they're using the same stock number for the two models or not.

I cross posted this in a couple places since I felt it was pretty important. Sorry if that annoys anyone.

Last edited by aeroguy; 08-10-2014 at 10:10 AM.
post #4880 of 5747 Old 08-10-2014, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone have any calibration settings they can share for their M602i-B3? I just purchased one and tried the CNET settings but the picture seemed kind of bland and some colors didn't look correct. Thanks!
post #4881 of 5747 Old 08-10-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

2014 Vizio Thread All models

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXVirusXx View Post
Does anyone have any calibration settings they can share for their M602i-B3? I just purchased one and tried the CNET settings but the picture seemed kind of bland and some colors didn't look correct. Thanks!

The best way to get settings is to do them yourself. Remember though you may not like a calibrated accurate picture. You should adjust your settings to something you like and be happy with the set. You may see other anomalies because of this, but it's better than not being happy with what you're seeing. Also there have been a few members posting settings in the m series thread, you'll just have to search through it. Not many people have put meters on their sets as of yet so there is a "lack" of settings being posted as I think many are just adjusting to something they like and leaving it.

Last edited by Ph8te; 08-10-2014 at 10:59 AM.
post #4882 of 5747 Old 08-10-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Remember though you may like a calibrated accurate picture.

Did you mean "you may not like"? I know that lots of people like "more pop" than is realistic.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #4883 of 5747 Old 08-10-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Did you mean "you may not like"? I know that lots of people like "more pop" than is realistic.

I did, thanks for the catch. Many people have been watching an inaccurate picture for so long that an "accurate" one can be jarring
post #4884 of 5747 Old 08-10-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Do I understand correctly that the 60" M model is a 10 bit panel and that, so far, it is an anomaly among the rest of the currently released lineup?
post #4885 of 5747 Old 08-10-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Do I understand correctly that the 60" M model is a 10 bit panel and that, so far, it is an anomaly among the rest of the currently released lineup?

60 and 70 are 10bit panels.
post #4886 of 5747 Old 08-10-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
60 and 70 are 10bit panels.
Okay, thanks, so they both should have somewhat similar performance with possibly the 70" being a bit darker in some situations/settings.

I'm thinking of picking up the 60"-M to try and get a hands on sense of how well Vizios are currently performing with a look toward the impending P/R series.
post #4887 of 5747 Old 08-10-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

2014 Vizio Thread All models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Okay, thanks, so they both should have somewhat similar performance with possibly the 70" being a bit darker in some situations/settings.

I'm thinking of picking up the 60"-M to try and get a hands on sense of how well Vizios are currently performing with a look toward the impending P/R series.

I really don't think you'll be able to compare the M to the P and R series. The M is more compare able to the E, I believe the P will be more comparable to the R (although P may be "alone"). If the E and M are any indication the the P and R series, I think Vizio may have a few "winners". I'm trying to hold off for the P series, but don't think I'll make it to Sept. I may just pick up an M and see where things fall next year. From my basic tests at Best Buy, I was quite pleased with what I saw. There are definite drawbacks, but I may be willing to live with those in the short term.

As far as we know the P series will be 8 bit panels and the R series a 10. This of course may be different once released, but gives is a small glimpse. That said this focus on 10bit vs 8bit is a non-issue for most as there isn't much content encoded for 10bit, so besides "bragging rights" it doesn't mean much.
post #4888 of 5747 Old 08-10-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Coming off several plasmas myself it takes a few minutes of watching the Vizio for my eyes to adjust. Even with all the motion processing turned on/off on any LCD/LED plasma still does motion smoother IMO. The panning judder (or whatever it's called) is just not as obvious on my plasmas, but the sharpness and brightness of this set is impressive. With the full array backlighting engaged the black levels are just as good as my plasma. Full screen fade outs and black bars are dark not muted grey. The screen uniformity is also very good. I can not stand flash lighting which is what kept me away from any LCD/LED.

There will be trade offs but with the plasma market virtually gone I can say I am happy with the M60. I had the E60 and found the M60 to handle the backlighting better with more zones. Monsters Inc 2 on bluray looks 3d on this set with great detail and depth. Gotta love the Disney animated movies to showcase what these things are capable of....my $.02

Last edited by robshdtv; 08-10-2014 at 01:02 PM.
post #4889 of 5747 Old 08-10-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robshdtv View Post
Coming off several plasmas myself it takes a few minutes of watching the Vizio for my eyes to adjust. Even with all the motion processing turned on/off on any LCD/LED plasma still does motion smoother IMO. The panning judder (or whatever it's called) is just not as obvious on my plasmas. But the sharpnest and brightness of this set is impressive. With the full array backlighting engaged the black levels are just as good as my plasma. Full screen fade outs and black bars are dark not muted grey. The screen uniformity is also very good. I can not stand flash lighting which is what kept me away from any LCD/LED.

There will be trade offs but with the plasma market virtually gone I can say I am happy with the M60. I had the E60 and found the M60 to handle the backlighting better with more zones. Monsters Inc 2 on bluray looks 3d on this set with great detail and depth. Gotta love the Disney animated movies to showcase what these things are capable of....my $.02

Indeed I had some mt2s rips of Disney movies and had people stopping to watch the set. That and the trailers really showed how bad the loops they have going on at BB stores are. I had to play with motion for some of the clips, but I know there are going to be trade offs regardless.
post #4890 of 5747 Old 08-10-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I really don't think you'll be able to compare the M to the P and R series. The M is more compare able to the E, I believe the P will be more comparable to the R (although P may be "alone"). If the E and M are any indication the the P and R series, I think Vizio may have a few "winners". I'm trying to hold off for the P series, but don't think I'll make it to Sept. I may just pick up an M and see where things fall next year. From my basic tests at Best Buy, I was quite pleased with what I saw. There are definite drawbacks, but I may be willing to live with those in the short term.

As far as we know the P series will be 8 bit panels and the R series a 10. This of course may be different once released, but gives is a small glimpse. That said this focus on 10bit vs 8bit is a non-issue for most as there isn't much content encoded for 10bit, so besides "bragging rights" it doesn't mean much.
I mentioned the 60" as it seems it doesn't suffer from(as much?) from banding and I was interested in seeing what Vizio tech could do as a sort of baseline, assuming that the P/R would do it all much better. I realize 10 bit vs 8 bit is a non-issue since there is currently no source material that will utilize it, as far as I know anyway. I'm suppose I'm just a bit too anxious and tired of waiting to see something that may or may not be a let down for all we know. I guess I have the itch to purchase something with my fallback being the F8500, I just really, really want a larger screen size than 64" and would compromise(to a slight degree) to get that larger screen. Going from 73" to 70" is about 8% less screen area already, to go from 73" to 64" is over 22% less so it comes down to size versus performance and I'm hoping the P/R series can close that gap significantly.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Vizio
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page