post #5071 of 5074 Old Yesterday, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post
Yup, I went from a 4200 sq ft house (plus a 2100 sq ft finished basement) in ATL that cost me $520k, to a 2700 sq ft house (no basement) in East SF Bay Area that cost me $700k.
I don't think you are going to find much sympathy living in a 2700 sq ft home that costs 700k. HAHA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5072 of 5074 Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by megaoptimus View Post
I think I have my answer from searching the forum and the manual: I have an m492i and it appears that so long as bitstream is enabled, and the internal speakers on the TV are set to off, the M series model will pass through unsimulated dolby digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1, but that's it. No, HD, or DD+ no matter if you use optical or HDMI audio output, right? Anything above DD or DTS 5.1 will be "down processed" into something the TV can understand and pass-through correct?

I plan on connecting my sources directly to this TV using one of the vizio 5.1 soundbars. I had one already but returned because I think it was faulty. I'd like to try again with a brand new soundbar from bestbuy. I'll be using optical and will do most of my streaming from a PS3 and most of my file viewing from a WD TV 2014 edition.
It's the soundbar and connectors, not the TV - bitstream just means you pass bits through and do nothing with it.

Toslink (coax or optical) is not able to support the bit rates DD+ demands, never mind the lossless protocols (TrueHD, DTS-HD-MA). The original spec for toslink is 3.2 Mbit/s and the DD+ spec says 6.2 Mbit/s, so it will overwhelm it.

Not sure if DD+ will be downgraded to lossy or if the converter extracts a lossy core going from the TV to the soundbar.

But even if you use a soundbar with HDMI inputs (vizio 54" soundbar 5.1), bitstreaming you can get the DD+ stream to it, but the soundbar only supports DTS and DD decoding.

So basically if you want to hear lossless or even DD+, you need to use a receiver.
post #5073 of 5074 Old Yesterday, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
[QUOTE=megaoptimus;
I plan on connecting my sources directly to this TV using one of the vizio 5.1 soundbars. I had one already but returned because I think it was faulty. I'd like to try again with a brand new soundbar from bestbuy. I'll be using optical and will do most of my streaming from a PS3 and most of my file viewing from a WD TV 2014 edition.[/QUOTE]

This is what I did. I have my DTV Genie and BD player connected to the TV and having that pass through to the Vizio 5451 sound bar. I am still having sync issues, but it seems worse on some channels than others. The audio delay feature only goes in one direction and it is the wrong direction for the sound delay I am having...so it is useless.

Hopefully, there will be a FW update to the TV (or sound bar - if that is possible) to allow for better sync detection and adjustment.

Tony
TV: Vizio M702i-B3
Sound: Vizio S5451w Sound Bar
Remote: Harmony One
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Vizio
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page