post #5701 of 5711 Unread Yesterday, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by dootin View Post
Just got back from Costco in Las Vegas and the P 70 inch is on the shelf for sale.

That's great. Was it just in cartons or have they set up a display? In any case you should have taken a picture to post--for shame!

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5702 of 5711 Unread Yesterday, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
That's great. Was it just in cartons or have they set up a display? In any case you should have taken a picture to post--for shame!
It was on display and several were for sale. No picture sorry. The location was the summer land branch on park run, in case someone wants to call for info.
post #5703 of 5711 Unread Yesterday, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Just got back from Costco in Las Vegas and the P 70 inch is on the shelf for sale. Lady said the 60 will be available next week. I am waiting for 55. Picture quality not quite as good as tv next to it, which shared the same feed, but im unaware of the picture settings etc.
Maybe the 70 has a similar unremarkable Sharp ASV panel that a lot of 70's have or if they had it mounted to high . Not a lot of options for 70" panels AFAIK . Maybe the other sizes will have better performing panels .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #5704 of 5711 Unread Yesterday, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
It was on display and several were for sale. No picture sorry. The location was the summer land branch on park run, in case someone wants to call for info.
What was the price?
post #5705 of 5711 Unread Yesterday, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I know this is a long shot but my local post office is out of movers packets. Any chance anyone on here has an extra coupon for bestbuy?
post #5706 of 5711 Unread Yesterday, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Maybe the 70 has a similar unremarkable Sharp ASV panel that a lot of 70's have or if they had it mounted to high . Not a lot of options for 70" panels AFAIK . Maybe the other sizes will have better performing panels .

60" and 70" are based on Sharp panels and probably the same panels used in Sharp's recently-released UD27U 4K Flagship TVs (60" and 70").

The 55" and 65" are supposedly based on panels from AUO.

We'll just have to wait to hear how the 65" compares to the 70"...
BHELLWEGE likes this.
post #5707 of 5711 Unread Yesterday, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyyoulove View Post
I'm a bit on the fence as to which P-Series size to get.

My main use case will be as a computer monitor with a 2.5 - 4' distance at my desk, depending on if I am sitting up or reclining back in my office chair or not. Content will be very mixed between coding, photo editing, video editing, graphic design, and browser usage for work, and gaming for play (really hate that these sets don't have 3D for that).
My secondary use will be as a television playing shows/movies off of my computer, with a seating distance near 10-12' from my bed.

My main use case is fine with a large screen, to the point where it starts to affect usability. I mainly worry about reading small text near the corners.
My secondary use case says get the biggest one possible.

I've been using a 42" monitor for the past 7 years, so I'm accustomed to large screens. Does anyone have any experience using 55+" screens as monitors?
I use 59" at 13 feet for photos and reading and I need to squint. I also use 100" projection at 11 feet for entertainment & reading and I can see pixels at 1080p a bit too clearly, but it's fine otherwise. I think you almost cannot go too big with any size - you just over a larger viewing area with increased size.
post #5708 of 5711 Unread Yesterday, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I just bought the 70 inch from Costco in Orem, UT. Looks like they had 4 of em on the shelf. Now they have 2.

First one I brought home had a cracked panel, tested the second in store and all was well.

i went for the square trade plan, $80 bucks for it. They said the price had just changed from 100.

As far as the TV is concerned, mostly very happy. Obviously I don't have many devices that support it, but got netflix streaming at 4k and it looks quite impressive. For non 4k content, the upscaling seems to do a pretty good job. Netflix super HD of the avengers looked great especially considering netflix compression. My TV (Google Fiber) looked decent, but I only really tried more compressed networks (FOOD, HGTV, etc), will try ESPN and networks tomorrow. My non-HDMI 2.0 onkyo receiver has 4k upscaling (only to 30 fps obviously) so I am going to compare it to the built in upscaler before deciding on my final configuration.

Default color options are way overblown (vivid mode), but the "calibrated" option (at least to me) had very accurate colors and looked fantastic. The black levels are really impressive for an LCD. The backlit and active zones seem to work well.

I have one minor annoyance so far, when CEC is on, audio from the built in apps (at least netflix, haven't tried others) doesn't get output to my reciever, with or without an optical audio cable. I have to turn off CEC and use the audio cable. But it does seem to be passing 5.1 (need to double check).

The UI is good and surprisingly snappy. Remote is nice, especially with the keyboard on the back (much better than the slider model they used to have).

All in all, I am pretty happy so far and think that its probably the first viable 4k TV for general consumers. $2500 for a 70 inch backlit LED is a pretty good deal, even without it being 4k. Now I just need a video card for my HTPC with hdmi 2.0
videobruce likes this.
post #5709 of 5711 Unread Yesterday, 11:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy_McClure View Post
I just bought the 70 inch from Costco in Orem, UT.

Congratulations! The UI had better be snappy--no one is using a beefier CPU/GPU chip in a television that I know of (though some are using what should be equally fast chips in their top model lines); one of the main reasons that I prefer this model over others.

Could you try something for me? What do you see if you play "El Fuente: 60 MP10" or "Test Pattern: Downscaling 2997fps 10Min" or "Example Short 23.976", test clips with bit rate/resolution information printed on each of their constituent video encodes. I'm interested in the intermediate bit rate values as they ramp up, presumably to 4K (I know that they used "El Fuente" for 4K testing and "Test Pattern" says that its original source was 4K res).

No big--I'll be able to answer this for myself whenever mine gets here, but curiosity is killing me .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #5710 of 5711 Unread Today, 03:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Troy_McClure;
Since this has been a "speculation" thread, and you are the first with product, how about you starting a new thread?? If you need help on the 1st post let me know.
It needs to be full of details about the series with links so other can revert back for info. A 2nd post 'reserved' for additional info and screen shots is wise also.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.

Last edited by videobruce; Today at 03:42 AM.
post #5711 of 5711 Unread Today, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I think your overestimating and my numbers would be backed up by sales have you asked people if they even know what MLL is? Or heck even calibration of a TV? Sometimes hanging out at forums like these can make the numbers seem bigger than they are.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
I agree. Estimated adoption rate for the US is only expected to be 10% by 2017 for 4K, according to market research firm Strategy Analytics. Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/26831...nto-a-dud.html

That prob means a small amount of 4K content for the next several years, I suppose.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
post #5712 of 5711 Unread Today, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Troy_McClure;
Since this has been a "speculation" thread, and you are the first with product, how about you starting a new thread?? If you need help on the 1st post let me know.
It needs to be full of details about the series with links so other can revert back for info. A 2nd post 'reserved' for additional info and screen shots is wise also.

Isn't there already a P Series thread here: Vizio P Series UHDTVs at CES 2014

The name mentions CES but I don't think that matters anymore.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Vizio
Gear in this thread