2014 Vizio Thread All models - Page 196 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5851 of 5856 Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Was anyone able to do a comparison between the M702i-B3 and the P702ui-B3 as it relates to 1080p picture quality? I'm in the market for a new TV, and while having a relatively future-proof TV (4K) does have some merit, it's not a gotta-have for me. I'd be very much interesting in the HD/1080P performance, for movies/sports/gaming.

Has anyone looked at these two specifically?

Thanks! - M

"If I had a nickel for every nickel I had..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 5856 Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been going back and forth between an E600i-B3 and an M602i-B3. Some people say the E's are better, others the M's. I know numbers-wise, the M is "supposed" to be the better tv, but some reviews say otherwise. Rtings has the E rated just a tad higher than the M. Yes, the E is good, but is it actually better than the M? If the M is the better of the two, is the margin so minuscule and indistinguishable that the price jump isn't worth it?
post #5853 of 5856 Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombasaman View Post
Been going back and forth between an E600i-B3 and an M602i-B3. Some people say the E's are better, others the M's. I know numbers-wise, the M is "supposed" to be the better tv, but some reviews say otherwise. Rtings has the E rated just a tad higher than the M. Yes, the E is good, but is it actually better than the M? If the M is the better of the two, is the margin so minuscule and indistinguishable that the price jump isn't worth it?

Since rtings.com evaluated different panel sizes for the E and the M and those different sizes were different panel types (55" is IPS while 60" is VA) the conclusions they provide over the entire series are not valid (especially for off-axis viewing and contrast) and neither are the comparison they make between the two Series.
post #5854 of 5856 Old Today, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
BUTTT for that 400 extra CDN you also get twice the amount of active LED Zones. 4 Times the Dynamic contrast ratio, 4 Times the Clear Action, and Double the Effective Refresh rate.
Well, to be honest those features are nothing more to me than advertising fluff. Reviews are already showing that twice the amount of LED zones don't make that much of a difference. Not sure if the "clear action" you referred to is either for the "Smooth Motion" feature, or for the TV's "Motion Resolution" capabilities. In either case, I despise the soap opera effect caused by "Smooth Motion", and I've never noticed any distracting blurring effects on TVs with apparently low "Motion Resolution".

At any rate, I decided to go for an 80" Sharp LC-80LE642. It's a 120 Hz set that supports pure 24p playback and I'm quite happy with it. FYI, there are no active LED dimming zones on that set, but I'm quite satisfied with its black levels. I came from a circa-2007 Sony KDL-52W3000 and the black levels were much higher on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomial View Post
What movies' clips did you use? The only time I've noticed 3:2 pulldown on a 60 Hz set is the opening pan in Casablanca. CNET says the 55 inch E series can do 24p, and Rtings says the same for the 60 inch E series.
I used a couple of clips from Star Wars: Episode II. Yeah, I know it's not the best movie, but it has good scenes to test with long camera pans. The first scene I used was a shot of Senator Amidala's ship landing on the platform near the beginning of the movie. There is a long pan across the floating platform that makes for an excellent cadence test. The second clip I used was also from Episode II, where Obi-Wan's touring the clone factory. There are quite a few slow pans here that make for excellent cadence tests.

Yes, I'm aware that CNET claimed that the 55+" E series sets could do 24p (despite the fact that nearly everyone else seemed to claim otherwise), which is why I wanted to perform the tests myself. It appears to me that CNET got it wrong; these sets definitely can't display pure 24p playback.

That said, it sounds to me like you don't really notice the 3:2 cadence in most scenes on a 60 Hz set, so you might be able to get away with picking up this model and not noticing much of a difference.

Cheers,
Visor
post #5855 of 5856 Old Today, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Can anyone confirm what version of Amazon video is on these tvs? Is it a hacked version or a nicer one like on ps4?

Also, any hope for a wwe network app?
post #5856 of 5856 Old Today, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
Can anyone confirm what version of Amazon video is on these tvs? Is it a hacked version or a nicer one like on ps4?

It's the one on PS3 which I assume to be the one on PS4. They seem to be standardizing on that, since at some point my 2012 model Panasonic BDP's Amazon player got updated to that UI, though with a few panes on the main page having words in them instead of cover thumbs. Strangely, Fire TV's UI is different.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Vizio
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page