2014 Vizio Thread All models - Page 200 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #5971 of 5996 Old 01-20-2015, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 686
I provided an impression (one data point) about one sale price on one specific model and never made an assumption about sales at other stores - only mine as clearly stated. You made some implications and assertions that were stated as facts that you can't seem to provide even one data point for and then have tried to respond to me in a way that puts words in my mouth. You are the one doing the name calling and making the assumptions about where I choose to post. Unbelievable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5972 of 5996 Old 01-20-2015, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
That was hardly a data point and no more specific than what was provided to you. If you had read the thread you too would know the posts he just told you are there.
Ph8te likes this.
post #5973 of 5996 Old 01-20-2015, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Bah I forgot my rule... I apologize to those of the thread for derailing it.

Sent from nowhere
post #5974 of 5996 Old 01-20-2015, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Take a look in the M series owned thread I think I've seen this posted there before. I think one of the tests people did was turning off the internet/wifi to see if that makes a difference.

Sent from nowhere
hmm, after trying both with wifi connected and disabled, I still experience the issue
post #5975 of 5996 Old 01-20-2015, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkalibur View Post
That was hardly a data point and no more specific than what was provided to you. If you had read the thread you too would know the posts he just told you are there.
I have read the thread and when that model first got released in that size and had the special sale it did seem to be in short supply at some peoples places last year. However, as you should know if you followed what he started claiming, he is saying there's places now that are still having a hard time keeping them (the 70 inch) in stock, implying they are still flying off the shelves in these 'other' places. The place my experience was coming from was a San Diego Costco (as I frequently comment on) and its natural for me to ask where any of these places he's talking about today exist without some vague reference to historical posts to sales last year at initial production releases. Just providing any real information that supports the statement spoken as fact about it being out of stock at all these places was a natural request to such a skewed response with his big claims to my singular observation. Could my Costco be selling 100 million of them between my visits? Sure, possible, but not the impression I'm getting. If I said my Costco couldn't keep them on the shelves, I'd be able to point to it being out of stock or some very recent posts saying as much as actual evidence before just pulling stuff out of my ass as well.
post #5976 of 5996 Old 01-22-2015, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's another data point

W
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
I have read the thread and when that model first got released in that size and had the special sale it did seem to be in short supply at some peoples places last year. However, as you should know if you followed what he started claiming, he is saying there's places now that are still having a hard time keeping them (the 70 inch) in stock, implying they are still flying off the shelves in these 'other' places. The place my experience was coming from was a San Diego Costco (as I frequently comment on) and its natural for me to ask where any of these places he's talking about today exist without some vague reference to historical posts to sales last year at initial production releases. Just providing any real information that supports the statement spoken as fact about it being out of stock at all these places was a natural request to such a skewed response with his big claims to my singular observation. Could my Costco be selling 100 million of them between my visits? Sure, possible, but not the impression I'm getting. If I said my Costco couldn't keep them on the shelves, I'd be able to point to it being out of stock or some very recent posts saying as much as actual evidence before just pulling stuff out of my ass as well.
In my local costco north of Pittsburgh today, I saw 1 on display and two in stock. The demo pictures grabbed my attention, and I came here to find out if there's enough content out there to justify moving up from a 2 year old 60" panny plasma. They didn't have it hooked up to any other signal, I'd like to see what it does with 1080p / 720p content. If they're sold out by the time I get my research done, nice to know I can pick one up in SD. Maybe they don't sell well there cause you can just look out your windows and see beautiful scenes

They also had the Samsung UN65HU7200 for almost a couple of hundred more, but not sure if the curved screen is for me (can't watch 3D because of motion sickness)

Last edited by daverph1; 01-22-2015 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Oops, mentioned a price in my post
post #5977 of 5996 Old 01-23-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverph1 View Post
W

In my local costco north of Pittsburgh today, I saw 1 on display and two in stock. The demo pictures grabbed my attention, and I came here to find out if there's enough content out there to justify moving up from a 2 year old 60" panny plasma. They didn't have it hooked up to any other signal, I'd like to see what it does with 1080p / 720p content. If they're sold out by the time I get my research done, nice to know I can pick one up in SD. Maybe they don't sell well there cause you can just look out your windows and see beautiful scenes

They also had the Samsung UN65HU7200 for almost a couple of hundred more, but not sure if the curved screen is for me (can't watch 3D because of motion sickness)

This isn't the thread for that you'll need to go to the P series owners thread. Right now 4k content is really limited to streaming and test clips. We should start to see much more at the end of the year if UHDBR gets released on time. I haven't had any issues with cable content, blu-rays or 720p/1080p rips

Sent from nowhere
post #5978 of 5996 Old 01-23-2015, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I certainly could replace my Mits rear projection set but am really torn to pull the trigger on this or wait for the R. Question is will we see the R in the next 6 months or so?
post #5979 of 5996 Old 01-23-2015, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neyland View Post
I certainly could replace my Mits rear projection set but am really torn to pull the trigger on this or wait for the R. Question is will we see the R in the next 6 months or so?
I would say go with the 70 inch p series
post #5980 of 5996 Old 01-23-2015, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrini1 View Post
I would say go with the 70 inch p series
Is that because you don't believe the R will materialize or that it doesn't offer enough to warrant the wait? Because I don't mind waiting a bit more, but would like to do something in the next 6 months or so.
post #5981 of 5996 Old 01-23-2015, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neyland View Post
Is that because you don't believe the R will materialize or that it doesn't offer enough to warrant the wait? Because I don't mind waiting a bit more, but would like to do something in the next 6 months or so.

From a recent member post it is just a timing thing. It may get released in the next 6 months, but it is an unknown of how much of an upgrade it will be. In 6 months a lot of things can change and we'll be much closer to the release of other manufacturers 2015 sets as well as have some in owners hands. If you can wait I would, we are in a transition phase right now as far as TV tech goes.

Sent from nowhere
post #5982 of 5996 Old 01-24-2015, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
From a recent member post it is just a timing thing. It may get released in the next 6 months, but it is an unknown of how much of an upgrade it will be. In 6 months a lot of things can change and we'll be much closer to the release of other manufacturers 2015 sets as well as have some in owners hands. If you can wait I would, we are in a transition phase right now as far as TV tech goes.
I think you would agree that every Vizio that Costco or other outlets have in stock are 2014 models, and are probably not being manufactured anymore. It's possible that some of the 2015 models are already in production, but Vizio hasn't announced anything for 2015 yet; was not at CES, and may be waiting - just speculating - until after the Super Bowl to say anything. Inventories should be getting a bit low - I would imagine.

As to whether the "R" series will be an upgrade . . the one stat that really stands out is the 384 active dimming zones. The Sharp Elites had around 210 zones, and that picture was the highest rated on the planet in 2012 ( according to CNET, Sound & Vision, etc. ) - even beating out any and all plasma's that year. Then they stopped making them - which was a bummer - although they were very pricey - certainly not in my budget. So here's where I'm hoping that the "R" series will bring that kind of performance at a reasonable price. That's been Vizio's M.O. for the last couple of years, and on paper the "R" looks like it could be the PQ king. I know that OLED is the future, but until I can buy a 70" OLED at under $2K, LED backlit LCD tech is getting my $'s.
post #5983 of 5996 Old 01-24-2015, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
I think you would agree that every Vizio that Costco or other outlets have in stock are 2014 models, and are probably not being manufactured anymore. It's possible that some of the 2015 models are already in production, but Vizio hasn't announced anything for 2015 yet; was not at CES, and may be waiting - just speculating - until after the Super Bowl to say anything. Inventories should be getting a bit low - I would imagine.

As to whether the "R" series will be an upgrade . . the one stat that really stands out is the 384 active dimming zones. The Sharp Elites had around 210 zones, and that picture was the highest rated on the planet in 2012 ( according to CNET, Sound & Vision, etc. ) - even beating out any and all plasma's that year. Then they stopped making them - which was a bummer - although they were very pricey - certainly not in my budget. So here's where I'm hoping that the "R" series will bring that kind of performance at a reasonable price. That's been Vizio's M.O. for the last couple of years, and on paper the "R" looks like it could be the PQ king. I know that OLED is the future, but until I can buy a 70" OLED at under $2K, LED backlit LCD tech is getting my $'s.
OLED is dead. Most are going with nano tech includes Samsung.
post #5984 of 5996 Old 01-24-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
OLED is dead. Most are going with nano tech includes Samsung.
Yep, I read about that. One of the big stories to come out of CES. We'll see how well it performs with the AV reviewers. Looks very promising.
post #5985 of 5996 Old 01-25-2015, 09:56 AM

Exclamation Dedicated thread for victims of 1.60 firmware for 2014 & 2013 m series owners

IF YOU ARE AN OWNER OF A 2014 "M" SERIES TV AND RECEIVED THE 1.60 FIRMWARE UPDATE; AND ARE EXPERIENCING ISSUES WITH LOCAL DIMMING PERFORMANCE AND OTHER ANOMALIES, THERE IS NOW A NEW DEDICATED THREAD.

Vizio 1.60 defective firmware update -- victims post here

LET'S BUILD A BIG LIST THAT WE CAN USE TO GET VIZIO'S ATTENTION.
post #5986 of 5996 Old 01-25-2015, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:

I'm pretty sure the 2014 P series is still in production and will be for some time, they didn't come out until last September and it's likely the 2015 models will come out out this September if Vizio follows past trends. Again, following past trends, the 2015 M series will come out in late May. The 2014 E series is likely no longer in production as the they came out this time last year.

As for the R series, Vizio may have been derailed by the other manufacturers with standards for HDR not going in the direction of Dolby Vision. I'm not sure what the future holds for the R series but hopefully its 384 zones show up somewhere.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #5987 of 5996 Old 02-07-2015, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey Guys, my buddy just bought the 65" D650i-C3. I am a newbie for Vizio and trying to dial in the picture setts. I have calibrated my TV using AVSHD and my TV is perfect. On the Vizio it looks washed out and skin tones look dull. Also there was a lot of grain. That was on cable with X1 box. On Netflix it looked good maybe a little washed out but not really bad. Maybe it is just cable?

Picture mode - Custom
Auto brightness - off
Back light - 70
Brightness - 51
Contrast-70
Color-50
Tint-0
Sharpness-15
Color temperature - normal
Black detail - low
Film mode - on/auto

noise stuff is set to off.

One thing is the sharpness to low. I always read set to 0 or as low as possible. I see setting here where it is set to 50. WOW!
post #5988 of 5996 Old 02-07-2015, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Where the heck is the R series?
post #5989 of 5996 Old 02-07-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparbob7 View Post
Hey Guys, my buddy just bought the 65" D650i-C3. I am a newbie for Vizio and trying to dial in the picture setts. I have calibrated my TV using AVSHD and my TV is perfect. On the Vizio it looks washed out and skin tones look dull. Also there was a lot of grain. That was on cable with X1 box. On Netflix it looked good maybe a little washed out but not really bad. Maybe it is just cable?

Picture mode - Custom
Auto brightness - off
Back light - 70
Brightness - 51
Contrast-70
Color-50
Tint-0
Sharpness-15
Color temperature - normal
Black detail - low
Film mode - on/auto

noise stuff is set to off.

One thing is the sharpness to low. I always read set to 0 or as low as possible. I see setting here where it is set to 50. WOW!
The D is a bit of a different animal. Not sure who the panel OEM might be, but give the following settings a try. Not sure if you have the same menu sets as the M series. The settings were metered on a 70" M702i-B3, but they may work well for you. If you have a color tuner in your settings, these will get the red under control. Not sure about what version of firmware you might be running on?

Start from Calibrated Dark
Backlight = 38
Brightness = 51
Contrast = 75
Color = 43
Tint = 0
Sharpness = 2
Color Temp = Normal
Back Detail = Off
Active LED Zones = On
Smooth Motion effect = Off or Medium ( This is a personal taste thing. If you like the soap opera effect then turn it On - works well with sports viewing )
Clear Action = Off ( FW 1.60 )
Motion Blur Reduction = Off ( Same as Clear Action - FW 1.34 )
Reduce Signal Noise = Off
Reduce Block Noise = Off
Film Mode = Auto
Gamma = 2.2 ( FW 1.60 )

Color Tuner:
All Hue and Saturation = 0
Brightness: R=-4, G=0, B=0, C=-8, M=-7, Y=-7
Offset: R=-1, G=0, B=1
Gain: R=5, G=0, B=-8

11pt White Balance:
Gain R G B
5% 0, 0, 0
10% 0, 0, 0
20% -1, 0, 3
30% -3, 0, 0
40% -4, 0, 0
50% -1, 0, 1
60% -5, 0, 0
70% -5, 0, 0
80% -9, 0, -4
90% -8, 0, 3
100% -10, 0, 0
post #5990 of 5996 Old 02-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 60
New purchaser of the 50" E series.

Currently running on calibrated pre-installed setting. It looks the same as the "energy star" setting but the calibrated setting looks like all it does is put a bronze glaze color over the picture.

Any recommended picture settings for movie watching?

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 review: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...ew-2015-a.html
Receiver: Denon x4000
Speakers: HTD Level 3 Bookshelves - Pioneer FS52s (surrounds)
Subwoofer: Outlaw LFM-1 Plus - SVS PB1000 ordered ---- and still continuing my HT journey
post #5991 of 5996 Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What is the story on the D Series?

Is it a step down from the E Series?

Any specs available on Dimming?

D series model posted in this thread is currently on sale at at least a couple price club / big box type stores , but the dimming specs of the well-reviewed E Series is what I'm after.

Anybody have the lowdown on details?
Thanks!
post #5992 of 5996 Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage animal View Post

D series model posted in this thread is currently on sale at at least a couple price club / big box type stores , but the dimming specs of the well-reviewed E Series is what I'm after.

Thanks!
I saw one at Costco last week. First impression was that the casing was much thicker than the E, M, or P series. Kind of like a throwback to a set made a couple of years ago. The PQ seemed OK, but the number of dimming zones was low compared to the E or M. The price is cool. I think you can go to Vizio's site and find it in their online store. Won't see it from the home page.
post #5993 of 5996 Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9674 View Post
Where the heck is the R series?
Vaporware. . . .

Seriously, this was announced at CES in 2014. 13 months later, still nothing definitive. There was some standard ( can't recall at the moment what it was ) that Vizio was implementing in the R. Apparently the rest of the industry is going away from this standard - so it may have forced them back to the drawing board. I'm hoping that those 384 FALD zones show up on something. That may be worth the price of admission alone.
post #5994 of 5996 Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Quote:
Vaporware. . . .

Seriously, this was announced at CES in 2014. 13 months later, still nothing definitive. There was some standard ( can't recall at the moment what it was ) that Vizio was implementing in the R. Apparently the rest of the industry is going away from this standard - so it may have forced them back to the drawing board. I'm hoping that those 384 FALD zones show up on something. That may be worth the price of admission alone.
Dolvy Vision -the Vizio R Series was one of the first TVs announced to include Dolby Vision for HDR content.

Vizio's stated reason for delaying the release on the R Seroies is that they are awaiting first DolbyVision HDR content announcements before releasing the R (so there will be some HDR content you can actually watch on it).

There was a lot of news at CES 2015 surrounding HDR and both Time Warner and Netflix have announced an intention to release some HDR content by mid-year.

So we'll need to wait and see but it is pretty much a certainty that the Vizio R will not be released prior to the first HDR content announcement (and possibly at the same time).
post #5995 of 5996 Old Today, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I saw one at Costco last week. First impression was that the casing was much thicker than the E, M, or P series. Kind of like a throwback to a set made a couple of years ago. The PQ seemed OK, but the number of dimming zones was low compared to the E or M. The price is cool. I think you can go to Vizio's site and find it in their online store. Won't see it from the home page.
Thank you! It's hard to tell the specs on the D since retailer websites have copied and pasted the E series description and specs it seems.

Best bet looks like sticking with the well-reviewed E series, 65" currently on sale for same price as the 60", although this is through Vizio'a site and therefore requires $99 shipping.

Tough to tell which model is on display in some big box retail stores (target for example), but finding the same deal locally, I'd be set, if I could find a package deal with the 3:1 vizio soundbar/sub I'd be sold.
post #5996 of 5996 Old Today, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage animal View Post

Thanks!
I have no clue why that series was even created... It did not make it to CES and they NEVER officially launched it. It is worse than than E series imo.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Vizio
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page