2014 Vizio Thread All models - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 5227 Old 01-10-2014, 08:39 AM
Member
 
Cabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: JAX
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah123 View Post

So When Can We Buy? With the intro of the new models, 2013 model sales will pretty much come to a screeching halt. I am sure Vizio knows this and has planned for fast availability of their new line up. Anyone hear from Vizio when we can expect availability of the m and p models? See that several e models are now available but wondering about 70 inch displays.

I doubt sales will slow, the public is pretty oblivious. 9 out of 10 people dont know what CES is, or that it's going on currently. And with the "Big Game" sales imminent, sales are likely going to see a boost, and it gets the "old" inventory out of there.

Hell, we even have people posting on this forum in threads all over the place about how they "bought a TV last weekend and need advice". That's a bonehead move considering all the factors, new TV's coming, current/old model year about to be significantly discounted, and the like. And they have enough interest to seek out a forum like this one. So bottom line, the existence of the CES and Vizio making positive improvements probably will have very little effect on the current buying market.
rogo, falconman515 and Rf13 like this.
Cabby is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 5227 Old 01-10-2014, 08:45 AM
Member
 
ArttyG12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
All the new Vizios are semi-gloss, per a chat rep at Vizio. From a lingo perspective, is that the same as last years E or M series (which I've read are matte and glossy, respectively), or is it something in between? Haven't had a Vizio before.
ArttyG12 is offline  
post #183 of 5227 Old 01-10-2014, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
falconman515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fresno, CA.
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArttyG12 View Post

All the new Vizio's are semi-gloss, per a chat rep at Vizio. From a lingo perspective, is that the same as last years E or M series (which I've read are matte and glossy, respectively), or is it something in between? Haven't had a Vizio before.

I attribute "Semi-Gloss" as the M-Series of 2013 ... I had both the E Series and M and the E-Series is the standard basic Matte screen with no gloss reflection at all ... the M-Series is what most all call Semi-Gloss as it's not matte and basically no reflective like the E Series matte screen but not glossy enough like a Plasma screen (or like the 65" M-Series model) to call it glossy.

Funny I have heard they are all Matte for 14' ... now you say someone said they are all Semi-Gloss.

Basically we will NEVER know anything really until these models are released .. hell I wouldn't even believe a Vizio rep if they told what it was as they most of the time don't know much of $#!t either.

It's fun to guess and hope but truth is it's all just talk and rumors until the day the first one shows up on a store shelf and in an AVS Members living room. smile.gif

Can't wait to see what kind of improvements come to the 14' line-up.
falconman515 is offline  
post #184 of 5227 Old 01-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Senior Member
 
mxpx5678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I just ordered a 40 inch of the newer E-Series it is the 400i with full array LED backlighting. I get it tomorrow and will let you know what I think.
Rf13 likes this.
mxpx5678 is offline  
post #185 of 5227 Old 01-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Newbie
 
babermac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

I just ordered a 40 inch of the newer E-Series it is the 400i with full array LED backlighting. I get it tomorrow and will let you know what I think.

 

Awesome! I definitely wanna hear what you think. I'm strongly considering returning the 2013 M401i I just purchased (in addition to the common issues discussed on these forums—clouding, bleeding, etc.—it has a flicker in one corner that is most certainly a defect) and ordering the new E400i in its place. Of course I'd love a 2014 M Series, but I'm not sure I'm up for the indefinite wait, and it sounds like the new E very well may outperform last year's M.

 

Looking forward to your review!

 


D
 

babermac is offline  
post #186 of 5227 Old 01-10-2014, 11:00 AM
Senior Member
 
mxpx5678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by babermac View Post

Awesome! I definitely wanna hear what you think. I'm strongly considering returning the 2013 M401i I just purchased (in addition to the common issues discussed on these forums—clouding, bleeding, etc.—it has a flicker in one corner that is most certainly a defect) and ordering the new E400i in its place. Of course I'd love a 2014 M Series, but I'm not sure I'm up for the indefinite wait, and it sounds like the new E very well may outperform last year's M.

Looking forward to your review!



D

 

I will for sure let you know. I ALSO have a 2013 M series 60 inch so hopefully I can do some side by side comparisons. I also have a HDMI Splitter so I can possibly see the same movie on the two sets. I will play around with them and get back to you all.
mxpx5678 is offline  
post #187 of 5227 Old 01-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
bluewhale1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

I will for sure let you know. I ALSO have a 2013 M series 60 inch so hopefully I can do some side by side comparisons. I also have a HDMI Splitter so I can possibly see the same movie on the two sets. I will play around with them and get back to you all.

Great, just friggin great now I'm going to have to sit in front of my pc Saturday waiting to see what you think lol smile.gif

Can't wait.
bluewhale1 is offline  
post #188 of 5227 Old 01-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Member
 
benz5521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by babermac View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

I just ordered a 40 inch of the newer E-Series it is the 400i with full array LED backlighting. I get it tomorrow and will let you know what I think.

 

Awesome! I definitely wanna hear what you think. I'm strongly considering returning the 2013 M401i I just purchased (in addition to the common issues discussed on these forums—clouding, bleeding, etc.—it has a flicker in one corner that is most certainly a defect) and ordering the new E400i in its place. Of course I'd love a 2014 M Series, but I'm not sure I'm up for the indefinite wait, and it sounds like the new E very well may outperform last year's M.

 

Looking forward to your review!

 


D
 


I want the 2014 m too for a gaming TV/when it's bright but I don't want to wait so I may get an e. I just got an st60 so I'm not dying but I don't want to game on it.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
benz5521 is offline  
post #189 of 5227 Old 01-10-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wtfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArttyG12 View Post

All the new Vizios are semi-gloss, per a chat rep at Vizio. From a lingo perspective, is that the same as last years E or M series (which I've read are matte and glossy, respectively), or is it something in between? Haven't had a Vizio before.

Now I'm really hoping they release some kind of panel variations for Costco & Sam's Club this year.
I am not a fan of their semi gloss look.
There are also different types of semi gloss screens. The ones on LG & Vizio are just awful, they blur & smear the colors & picture & give off a dirty screen effect,. But on previous older Sony models, I remember were great & kept the black depth of the screen & didn't distort the picture at all.

This might finally push me to buy a Panasonic plasma or wait until Samsung's 2014 plasma line.

Not buying a crap Edge Lit TV in 2014 & I don't want diffused matted look on a TV.
wtfer is offline  
post #190 of 5227 Old 01-10-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Sequoia, CA
Posts: 30,120
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

Those prices listed make me believe the 120" version might not be too much higher than I paid for my 70" Elite. I might have bought a year too soon.

I have no idea where this rumor is coming from. It's not going to be anywhere near the price you paid for your Elite.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
rogo is offline  
post #191 of 5227 Old 01-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Senior Member
 
mxpx5678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I have no idea where this rumor is coming from. It's not going to be anywhere near the price you paid for your Elite.

Yeah I would imagine the 120inch will be in the 20,000-50,000 range at the very least. They don't really want to sell them, it is more to show what they can do.
mxpx5678 is offline  
post #192 of 5227 Old 01-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Rf13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

Yeah I would imagine the 120inch will be in the 20,000-50,000 range at the very least. They don't really want to sell them, it is more to show what they can do.

Everyone should also keep in mind the logistics of shipping and manufacturing this set I would imagine it may be a little cheaper than the other major brandsbecause vizio only sells in the US. which probably accounts for they're low prices on other sets as well. But don't expect to much they may never even build it if they can't figure out a cost effective way to ship it that's within they're standards of providing the cost they may be currently aiming for. I'd say wait and see what they do who knows they may shock us or not.
Rf13 is online now  
post #193 of 5227 Old 01-10-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf13 View Post

Everyone should also keep in mind the logistics of shipping and manufacturing this set I would imagine it may be a little cheaper than the other major brandsbecause vizio only sells in the US. which probably accounts for they're low prices on other sets as well. But don't expect to much they may never even build it if they can't figure out a cost effective way to ship it that's within they're standards of providing the cost they may be currently aiming for. I'd say wait and see what they do who knows they may shock us or not.

I think you're probably correct on that as far as the 120" R, but the 65" R Series is hopefully the real deal...

-fafrd
Rf13 likes this.
fafrd is offline  
post #194 of 5227 Old 01-11-2014, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
bluewhale1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Walmart has 3 reviews of the E400i-B2(One of them seem to be from December 2013 so i think he reviewed the wrong model) You have to scroll to the bottom for the reviews

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-E400i-B2-40-1080p-120Hz-Full-Array-LED-Smart-HDTV/33054851
bluewhale1 is offline  
post #195 of 5227 Old 01-11-2014, 04:19 AM
Senior Member
 
kdog750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I have no idea where this rumor is coming from. It's not going to be anywhere near the price you paid for your Elite.

It came from the rumors that Vizio claimed it was going to be affordable. However, I think Vizio never denied those rumors just to generate speculation and attention to the set.
Rf13 likes this.
kdog750 is offline  
post #196 of 5227 Old 01-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Member
 
jasenj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was in Costco today, they have a wide variety of the 2014 E series sets in stock, from 28" up to 70". From the box I couldn't see how many backlights are in each model, so we'll have to dig through the specs online.

And I have no idea how the model numbers work. I thought the 2014s ended with -Bx, but several of the new sets ended with -Ax. The best way I found to know if it was a new set or not was to look for the red honeycomb on the box.(Someone below said if it doesn't end with -Bx it's not a 2014 model.)

Now I'm impatiently waiting for the M series to drop. There was a nice 40" Sony with LED backlighting that was $50 off making it $429 that was very tempting.

- Jasen.
jasenj1 is offline  
post #197 of 5227 Old 01-11-2014, 11:11 AM
Senior Member
 
mxpx5678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Ok SO I got the 40inch E series today, it is model number E400i-B2.

Initial impressions are that it is very thin and light. In looks it is very comparable to my 60inch M Series. The layout of the HDMI ports and back of the tv is near identical. The menu system is also identical.

Out of the box I set it to calibrated Dark and set my 60inch to the same settings (out of box calibrated dark).

So they were not lying when they said that the individual zones would lead to better black levles. Black levels on this tv are VERY VERY good. The black is a much truer black than on my M series, where the M series is actually more of a grey.

Colors seem really good as well Colors seem to pop off the screen really well. All told the picture seems to be VERY similar to that of my M series if not a little better, the backlighting really helps and the black levels are really good.

The screen is more Matte than the M series, there is a lot more glare on the 60inch M series than on the E Series.

Here are some pictures I took.

Monsters University Blu Ray E series on Left M Series on Right
IMG_20140111_113406.jpg 193k .jpg file

Showing Black Levels between the two sets
IMG_20140111_113757.jpg 218k .jpg file

Colors on the E series
IMG_20140111_120706.jpg 220k .jpg file

Colors on the M Series
IMG_20140111_120657.jpg 173k .jpg file


I did notice that sports looked SLIGHTLY better on the M series. it seems to do action a little better probably due to the smooth motion effect on the M series that the E series lacks. That isn't saying sports looks bad on the E series just looks better on M. I didn't see any jagged motion and the ESPN scrawl scrolls perfectly

Let me know if you have any questions and I will try and answer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140111_113406.jpg (192.6 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140111_113757.jpg (217.5 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140111_120706.jpg (219.7 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140111_120657.jpg (173.3 KB, 94 views)
mxpx5678 is offline  
post #198 of 5227 Old 01-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Senior Member
 
mxpx5678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I realized the pictures didn't load properly before.






Rf13 likes this.
mxpx5678 is offline  
post #199 of 5227 Old 01-11-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

Ok SO I got the 40inch E series today, it is model number E400i-B2.

Initial impressions are that it is very thin and light. In looks it is very comparable to my 60inch M Series. The layout of the HDMI ports and back of the tv is near identical. The menu system is also identical.

Out of the box I set it to calibrated Dark and set my 60inch to the same settings (out of box calibrated dark).

So they were not lying when they said that the individual zones would lead to better black levles. Black levels on this tv are VERY VERY good. The black is a much truer black than on my M series, where the M series is actually more of a grey.

Colors seem really good as well Colors seem to pop off the screen really well. All told the picture seems to be VERY similar to that of my M series if not a little better, the backlighting really helps and the black levels are really good.

The screen is more Matte than the M series, there is a lot more glare on the 60inch M series than on the E Series.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will try and answer.

This is very promising - thanks for the early review. The pictures you sent make it pretty clear that the 2014 Vizio panels will be improved for bright-light/daytime viewing (noticablty reduced reflection/glare, brighter picture/colors).

The next big question will be how well the set performs for nighttime viewing. We'll be very interested to hear more about that once you have had a chance to view a dark movie in a dark room...

I assume you had local dimming set to on. With only 16 dimming zones, I'll be interested to see if you could see artifacts and/or visible dimming zone boundaries when viewing at night with local dimming set to on (the 'candle moving across a dark room' effect). I'll also be interested in your impression of nighttime viewing with local dimming set to ON versus set to OFF...

But this is a fantastic first indication that Vizio has indeed upped their game (and their technology) for 2014 and gives me increased hope that they may well have the developed 'the best TV ever' with the 65" R(eference) Series...

-fafrd
fafrd is offline  
post #200 of 5227 Old 01-11-2014, 11:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Rf13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 57
The colors absolutely pop on the new sets. Well I can't wait for the P series I'm sure they won't disappoint. I'm even more curious to see how these sets fair against the other competitors much higher sets.
Rf13 is online now  
post #201 of 5227 Old 01-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Senior Member
 
mxpx5678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

This is very promising - thanks for the early review. The pictures you sent make it pretty clear that the 2014 Vizio panels will be improved for bright-light/daytime viewing (noticablty reduced reflection/glare, brighter picture/colors).

The next big question will be how well the set performs for nighttime viewing. We'll be very interested to hear more about that once you have had a chance to view a dark movie in a dark room...

I assume you had local dimming set to on. With only 16 dimming zones, I'll be interested to see if you could see artifacts and/or visible dimming zone boundaries when viewing at night with local dimming set to on (the 'candle moving across a dark room' effect). I'll also be interested in your impression of nighttime viewing with local dimming set to ON versus set to OFF...

But this is a fantastic first indication that Vizio has indeed upped their game (and their technology) for 2014 and gives me increased hope that they may well have the developed 'the best TV ever' with the 65" R(eference) Series...

-fafrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

This is very promising - thanks for the early review. The pictures you sent make it pretty clear that the 2014 Vizio panels will be improved for bright-light/daytime viewing (noticablty reduced reflection/glare, brighter picture/colors).

The next big question will be how well the set performs for nighttime viewing. We'll be very interested to hear more about that once you have had a chance to view a dark movie in a dark room...

I assume you had local dimming set to on. With only 16 dimming zones, I'll be interested to see if you could see artifacts and/or visible dimming zone boundaries when viewing at night with local dimming set to on. I'll also be interested in you impression of nighttime viewing with local dimming set to ON versus set to OFF...

But this is a fantastic first indication that Vizio has indeed upped their game (and their technology) for 2014 and gives me increased hope that they may well have the developed 'the best TV ever' with the 65" R(eference) Series...

-fafrd

I believe this 40inch only has 5 zones, as the screen gets bigger they add more zones.

With smart dimming off the black levels still look just as good, they actually look better on the M series when I turn smart dimming off. I am thinking they have vastly improved the way smart dimming works on the E series.
mxpx5678 is offline  
post #202 of 5227 Old 01-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Senior Member
 
mxpx5678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf13 View Post

The colors absolutely pop on the new sets. Well I can't wait for the P series I'm sure they won't disappoint. I'm even more curious to see how these sets fair against the other competitors much higher sets.

Yeah I really think this years E series is comparable to last years M series
mxpx5678 is offline  
post #203 of 5227 Old 01-11-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

I realized the pictures didn't load properly before.

The lack of reflection on the new E versus the 2013 M is remarkable. You have two large windows that make the light reflection very visible. Can you confirm that the two set's have been set up at the same angle and that you have photographed the same reflection so that we are comparing apples to apples? Also, if you could turn both sets off and take a picture of the reflection of your windows off of both screens at the same time, that would be fantastic (you can also do the same thing with both set on and black screens, which would also give a sense of daytime dark levels...).

You are the early eyes for all of us :-)

Thanks in advance,

-fafrd
fafrd is offline  
post #204 of 5227 Old 01-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
 
mxpx5678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

The lack of reflection on the new E versus the 2013 M is remarkable. You have two large windows that make the light reflection very visible. Can you confirm that the two set's have been set up at the same angle and that you have photographed the same reflection so that we are comparing apples to apples? Also, if you could turn both sets off and take a picture of the reflection of your windows off of both screens at the same time, that would be fantastic (you can also do the same thing with both set on and black screens, which would also give a sense of daytime dark levels...).

You are the early eyes for all of us :-)

Thanks in advance,

-fafrd


Here are some more pictures. So the E series was slightly lower angle than the M. But with them on the same level the E really isnt reflecting light as much.








mxpx5678 is offline  
post #205 of 5227 Old 01-11-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
*UFO*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

I was in Costco today, they have a wide variety of the 2014 E series sets in stock, from 28" up to 70". From the box I couldn't see how many backlights are in each model, so we'll have to dig through the specs online.

And I have no idea how the model numbers work. I thought the 2014s ended with -Bx, but several of the new sets ended with -Ax. The best way I found to know if it was a new set or not was to look for the red honeycomb on the box.

Now I'm impatiently waiting for the M series to drop. There was a nice 40" Sony with LED backlighting that was $50 off making it $429 that was very tempting.

- Jasen.


The red honeycomb does not mean it is the new E-series. They just put new packaging on the older sets that matches the newer sets. Costco currently only has the new 32" and 50" models. If it does not have a -Bx it is not a 2014 model.
jasenj1 likes this.
*UFO* is offline  
post #206 of 5227 Old 01-11-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
*UFO*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Mxpx, can you set it up in a dark room and check for uniformity issues and black level performance? Also, how are the viewing angles compared to the m-series?
*UFO* is offline  
post #207 of 5227 Old 01-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Senior Member
 
mxpx5678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Mxpx, can you set it up in a dark room and check for uniformity issues and black level performance? Also, how are the viewing angles compared to the m-series?

I will tonight. I can't get my living room very dark it is super bright out today.

Viewing angle again seems better on the E series than the M series.
mxpx5678 is offline  
post #208 of 5227 Old 01-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
falconman515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fresno, CA.
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

I am thinking they have vastly improved the way smart dimming works on the E series.

These new 2014 Vizios are not "Smart Dimming" .... that is the crap term for Edge-Lit dimming technology ..... These Rear-Array LED are TRUE "Local Dimming"

The two technologies are meant to do the same thing but one EPICLY FAILS while the other (true local dimming) is amazing.

You cant shoot light from the edges of a TV and get True dimming .... its the most pointless thing they ever try and put in these this edge-lit TV's

Rear-Array LED and Local Dimming shits down lights in certain directly behind the panel giving you True Dimming Technology.

So as far as being Vastly Improved from the 2013 to 2014 .... its' basically not even the same thing .... these 2014's Local Dimming will put any edge-lit smart technology to shame!

I want to jump on these SO bad this year and let go of my M-Series 70" but lack of 3D is really not sitting well with me .... I think if I can hold out 2015's Vizio Line-up will be the year they we're waiting for.
falconman515 is offline  
post #209 of 5227 Old 01-11-2014, 12:01 PM
Senior Member
 
mxpx5678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

These new 2014 Vizios are not "Smart Dimming" .... that is the crap term for Edge-Lit dimming technology ..... These Rear-Array LED are TRUE "Local Dimming"

The two technologies are meant to do the same thing but one EPICLY FAILS while the other (true local dimming) is amazing.

You cant shoot light from the edges of a TV and get True dimming .... its the most pointless thing they ever try and put in these this edge-lit TV's

Rear-Array LED and Local Dimming shits down lights in certain directly behind the panel giving you True Dimming Technology.

So as far as being Vastly Improved from the 2013 to 2014 .... its' basically not even the same thing .... these 2014's Local Dimming will put any edge-lit smart technology to shame!

I want to jump on these SO bad this year and let go of my M-Series 70" but lack of 3D is really not sitting well with me .... I think if I can hold out 2015's Vizio Line-up will be the year they we're waiting for.

Yeah I was just on the dark flashlight scene in Monsters University and the difference between the two sets was pretty crazy. The smart dimming just does not work very well on the M series and does have some blooming. The E series showed no effects of blooming and the flashlight didnt produce any artifacts.
mxpx5678 is offline  
post #210 of 5227 Old 01-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Member
 
fshbrsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Thanks for taking the pics and the writeup mxpx5678! Was really looking forward it this weekend :) The E-series looks incredible.

 

Would you be able to take another pic or two where it's playing another movie - something that isn't 3D?  Outside of the blacks and colors, would you say the sharpness is similar between the E and the M or is one sharper than the other?

fshbrsh is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Vizio
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off