Forum Jump: 

post #3241 of 3869 Old 06-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Which model do you have? EQ?
Everything but the UQ should be similar enough for rough first settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3869 Old 06-16-2014, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopergreg View Post
Hello everyone,

For what it's worth, I truly believe the picture has improved with more hours on it. I have not touched the settings in over a month. Contrast, color, brightness are all dialed in. I seem to have found a great balance to mitigate ghosting or backlight bleed. I'm so happy with this TV. Ya know what one of my favorite features is? Netflix. It used to take so long to sign in to Netflix through my TIVO. It's soooo fast now. Touch one button, and you are in, in a matter of seconds!!

I'll provide my settings to anyone with the same TV, as they probably won't apply to another model.

Sincerely,

Greg
The web features are lightyears advanced of Sharps of only 2 years ago.
One button takes you to a string of web icons across the bottom of your active screen
and toggling to your choice and another click takes you there in seconds. Maybe 2 seconds, tops.
It is alarmingly fast and YouTube is ready to play instantly in 4K. Just a joy to use. I love my UQ
already!
post #3243 of 3869 Old 06-16-2014, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post
Which model do you have? EQ?
Everything but the UQ should be similar enough for rough first settings.
It's in my sig

2014 Sharp LC-70EQ10U TV

DENON AVR-3805 Receiver
Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Subwoofer
post #3244 of 3869 Old 06-16-2014, 04:04 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by soopergreg View Post
Hello everyone,

For what it's worth, I truly believe the picture has improved with more hours on it. I have not touched the settings in over a month. Contrast, color, brightness are all dialed in. I seem to have found a great balance to mitigate ghosting or backlight bleed. I'm so happy with this TV. Ya know what one of my favorite features is? Netflix. It used to take so long to sign in to Netflix through my TIVO. It's soooo fast now. Touch one button, and you are in, in a matter of seconds!!

I'll provide my settings to anyone with the same TV, as they probably won't apply to another model.

Sincerely,

Greg
One button takes you to a string of web icons across the bottom of your active screen
and toggling to your choice and another click takes you there in seconds. Maybe 2 seconds, tops.
It is alarmingly fast and YouTube is ready to play instantly in 4K. Just a joy to use. I love my UQ
already!
Agreed! Love the fast connect to Netflix!!

2014 Sharp LC-70EQ10U TV

DENON AVR-3805 Receiver
Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Subwoofer
post #3245 of 3869 Old 06-16-2014, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm assuming everyone is viewing in dot by dot vs stretch, right?

I accidentally hit the aspect button on my Harmony One and i realized it was on stretch.. never changed it before. Any pro vs con on this subject?
post #3246 of 3869 Old 06-16-2014, 06:48 PM

I'm either going bananas or i'm extremely much happier with the picture of the SQ going dot by dot...
post #3247 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 01:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asanievas22 View Post
I'm assuming everyone is viewing in dot by dot vs stretch, right?

I accidentally hit the aspect button on my Harmony One and i realized it was on stretch.. never changed it before. Any pro vs con on this subject?
What is the default? I'm playing my UQ the way it came delivered.
Once in a while, a source will have jagged edges -- like in a news story clip or something.
The majority of the time, the picture goes out to all 4 edges with no edge showing.
I think that is dot for dot, but I'm not sure...
post #3248 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by asanievas22 View Post
I'm either going bananas or i'm extremely much happier with the picture of the SQ going dot by dot...
As you should be. The scaling for overscan does not help the image. It tends to destroy fine details.
post #3249 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Once in a while, a source will have jagged edges -- like in a news story clip or something.
The majority of the time, the picture goes out to all 4 edges with no edge showing.

You can push view mode on the remote to see the active method. It has to be set for each input.
post #3250 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

UQ17U owners, check out my latest calibration.
I started from 'USER' mode this time.

I chose LOW temperature because I can only use 2-Point adjustment and
the LOW has a flatter curve to work from than any of the other temperatures.
Very little CMS processing was required afterward. Other settings are similar
to the STANDARD mode done earlier, but the look of the screen is very different.
The whites are just a bit warmer, but the fleshtones are much much better, as
is the Cyan output. The overall look is much easier on the eyes. 'Better' is in
the eye of the beholder, though. This mode requires each input to be set up
separately, unlike the Standard, where all inputs ran off the same settings.
Let me know what you think!

Sharp UQ17U Calibrations
post #3251 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
already!
Has the Youtube app been updated to support 4k output? It didn't before.

ROB
post #3252 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
Has the Youtube app been updated to support 4k output? It didn't before.
I went to YouTube and searched for '4K' and got a handful of hits.
They play and I assume they are 4K by their appearance.
Costa Rica, Taj Mahal, Soccer Player, etc. -- all play flawlessly...
post #3253 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I went to YouTube and searched for '4K' and got a handful of hits.
They play and I assume they are 4K by their appearance.
Costa Rica, Taj Mahal, Soccer Player, etc. -- all play flawlessly...
sadly though as evidenced by the HTML, they are playing back at 1080p.

The ONLY way I have found to get an actual 4k source is to download a 4k file on a computer and either use a USB key (if it will fit) or connect it to a 4k capable video card (like in some of the newer macbook pros)
post #3254 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelexip View Post
You can push view mode on the remote to see the active method. It has to be set for each input.
Mine is defaulted to 'Dot to Dot'. Thanks!
post #3255 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I just checked and it's still 1080 from the app since my macbook can output 4k and I have hooked the tv up to it before and compared the same clips.

ROB
post #3256 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah I just checked and it's still 1080 from the app since my macbook can output 4k and I have hooked the tv up to it before and compared the same clips.
Could be. There is some color compression, typical of YouTube, but the pixels are dead on.
It shows some of the horizontal smearing that the Consumer Report test revealed, so I was
pretty sure mine was showing 4K -- or the vertical portion of it, anyway.
I can't find a button on the remote that will reveal the input with the Smart Central playing.
You would think they would put a bell or whistle or at least a winking LED to indicate 4K.
Remember when TVs had a pilot light to tell you that the picture was broadcast in color?
This would be less stupid than that, at least...
sdeeble likes this.
post #3257 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

OK, so I copied the Costa Rica 4K onto a 4GB 2.0 stick and stuck it in the USB port #1
on the TV. It showed 'Root' folder, which is usually not a good sign, but then it went
to the YouTube name of the file and showed a 'Play' button, but then just spun its
wheels for several minutes with a black screen. I turned off the TV and unplugged
the drive and made sure the TV still works normally. It somehow erased the name of
my Satellite box, so there was something fishy going on. But no video from the USB.
I haven't tried anything like that before with this or my old set. Kinda scary...
post #3258 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

I tried again, but the mp4 doesn't play. I can stick it in the computer and the VLC player
does just fine with it and shows it to be a 4K source. When I played it the first time on
the computer, straight from YouTube in my Seamonkey browser, and with 4K selected, it crashed the entire system with
a blue screen. This is a relatively new computer and that is one of only a few times that has
happened. When I saved it instead and played it back with the VLC, it plays fine.
Not sure what the issue is with the TV. It seems to know what it is, but never gets going...
post #3259 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe I read a couple months ago it is something about how the TV won't play back 4k video files unless they are I think split into smaller parts and some other jazz. Another great job there by Sharp.

Basically they promote how the tv has some pseudo 4k res and can play 4k content yet you can't watch 4k from Netflix, the Youtube app or easily off a usb drive so it would seem all normal options of 4k aren't available other than hooking up a computer to it. Brilliant!

ROB
post #3260 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

I was quite happy to believe that my shiny new TV was showing me 4K until you burst my balloon!
The 4K videos that the YouTube app brings up are very finely detailed, pixel-wise. No compression.
The colors are compressed, but that is done at the authoring end. I have no way of seeing what is
playing as it is playing -- the video takes the entire screen and no 'Display' or 'View' buttons will work.
That is a bit of a bug, I think. Did you play video straight from the YouTube ap? Pretty darned crisp.
It also ques up instantly, which is better than my 2 year old model could do.
post #3261 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, the 1080 output from those 4k videos is very nice and when I first played one when they got this set I thought it was 4k. It was only when I got closer to the screen and saw some weird stuff that I felt that it couldn't be 4k and I came on here and read up and saw others say it wasn't 4k. I then did my macbook pro hook up test and fully confirmed it.

The difference between the 1080 and 4k videos on the set seemed pretty minor (I mainly used the "It's Just Paint" clip to compare) so it isn't a huge deal yet it's still silly on Sharp's part to have gimped out the way for people to play the 4k material.
RemoteLogic likes this.

ROB

Last edited by rlindo; 06-17-2014 at 01:51 PM.
post #3262 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Yeah, the 1080 output form those 4k videos is very nice and when I first played one when they got this set I thought it was 4k. It was only when I got closer to the screen and saw some weird stuff that I felt that it couldn't be 4k and I came on here and read up and saw others say it wasn't 4k. I then did my macbrook pro hook up test and fully confirmed it.

The difference between the 1080 and 4k videos on the set seemed pretty minor (I mainly used the "It's Just Paint" clip to compare) so it isn't a huge deal yet it's still silly on Sharp's part to have gimped out the way for people to play the 4k material.
I believe this has been well known for quite a while. The set does not have the HEVC decoder necessary to play native 4K. Sharp also said there would be no firmware updates to incorporate. The only way to play 4K is via a PC or dedicated external device like a ROKU (4)?, etc with the HEVC chips...
Gerry
post #3263 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I'm assuming all my inputs are set to "stretch" per default. I went to my ps4 input and change the ratio from "stretch" to "dot by dot" and it was a significant difference as well.
post #3264 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone who owns any of these TVs also own a Darblet? I use the Darblet with my RS50 yet keep forgetting to bring it over and see what kind of improvement it may offer the 70SQ.

ROB
post #3265 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
I believe this has been well known for quite a while. The set does not have the HEVC decoder necessary to play native 4K. Sharp also said there would be no firmware updates to incorporate. The only way to play 4K is via a PC or dedicated external device like a ROKU (4)?, etc with the HEVC chips...
Gerry
Ok, ok -- I am happy with the 70UQ17U because it's only 70" and because my eyes are 58 years old.
The 2 year old set that this replaced did a better job with the Dish Network satellite feeds, but
this one is better with BluRay and the YouTube HD pictures. The satellite pictures betray a lot of
compression on close inspection that I didn't see so clearly with the old TV of the same size.
BluRay was great, though, and still is. I don't need 4K at that screen size, with my sitting position
at 10+ feet (3.5 metres, Rob). The enhanced resolution makes a very smooth image from even
a short distance away. A 70" 4K would be like a computer screen in detail and would not fit on
my desk and would destroy my neck with all the back and forth and where is the cursed cursor.
Sharp has made very competent sets in the UQ series, I think. The market is fickle, so good luck
to them and to us...
RemoteLogic likes this.
post #3266 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Does anyone who owns any of these TVs also own a Darblet? I use the Darblet with my RS50 yet keep forgetting to bring it over and see what kind of improvement it may offer the 70SQ.
I asked that question a while back ago and never got a response. I was wondering if it was significantly more beneficial or not to add something from the Darbee collection
post #3267 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I may soon have an Oppo with the Darblet and could tell you...
post #3268 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Gerry
I wonder if the external devices with HEVC support will really be able to pass post-encryped signals to other devices. The whole point of HEVC to copy-protection. A physical TV having HEVC decoding means it can play a 4K image but a TV can't record it. If they allow set top boxes to do the decoding and send clean 4K signals, what is to stop people from outputting those signals to their computers and burning copies? It's the same reason that my external headphones plugged into the back of my TV don't work with copy-protected material -- because the TV is designed not to output copy protected material.
post #3269 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
I wonder if the external devices with HEVC support will really be able to pass post-encryped signals to other devices. The whole point of HEVC to copy-protection. A physical TV having HEVC decoding means it can play a 4K image but a TV can't record it. If they allow set top boxes to do the decoding and send clean 4K signals, what is to stop people from outputting those signals to their computers and burning copies? It's the same reason that my external headphones plugged into the back of my TV don't work with copy-protected material -- because the TV is designed not to output copy protected material.
Good question. Maybe the sheer size of the files will slow down pirating.
Did I read it here that HDMI cables can't even carry the signal?
Will the physical media be the size of a LaserDisc to hold the information?
(Grandpa, what's a laserdisc? Never mind. Run along.)
Efforts to stop pirating fall short on every medium.
Maybe 4K will be completely cloud-based and without physical media.
Keeping costs of production and distribution within reason is the best foil.
Give the consumer a product they can afford.
post #3270 of 3869 Old 06-17-2014, 12:53 PM

Liked: 1
I received my 70 SQ15 today. I previously had the TQ15, which was defective. For anyone interested in the differences between the two, the TQ has a different stand, weights 20 pounds more, and has a 15W sub.

I didn't have much time to play with the new set. There is almost no clouding; the TQ had a fair amount. I will put in rlindo's calibration settings tonight and update later.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
picture , Sharp 80 Inch Le650 Class Aquos Smart Led Tv , Sharp Aquos Quattron 70 Inch Class 3d Tv 2 Pairs Of Active 3d Glassses , Sharp He Lc 70ud1u 70 Inch Aquos 4k Ultra Hd 3d Smart Led Tv , smartcentral
Gear in this thread - Le650 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page