post #3271 of 3959 Old 06-17-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post
Ok, ok -- I am happy with the 70UQ17U because it's only 70" and because my eyes are 58 years old.
The 2 year old set that this replaced did a better job with the Dish Network satellite feeds, but
this one is better with BluRay and the YouTube HD pictures. The satellite pictures betray a lot of
compression on close inspection that I didn't see so clearly with the old TV of the same size.
BluRay was great, though, and still is. I don't need 4K at that screen size, with my sitting position
at 10+ feet (3.5 metres, Rob). The enhanced resolution makes a very smooth image from even
a short distance away. A 70" 4K would be like a computer screen in detail and would not fit on
my desk and would destroy my neck with all the back and forth and where is the cursed cursor.
Sharp has made very competent sets in the UQ series, I think. The market is fickle, so good luck
to them and to us...
haha nice on the metric comment. Here in Canuckland though we basically go by feet.

Do you think the worse satellite image is because this tv is superior at transparency (garbage in, garbage out) or that the resolution enhancement (if you are using it) is causing the issues?

The cnet reviewer reported the enhancement magnifying noise and other artifacts and I think I have seen examples of that but only when I was near the TV. Then there is that consumereports article that implies the feature is also causing some issues in dark areas.

I'll probably be back at my folks tomorrow to watch the dogs so I will bring my Darblet and see what improvement it offers. It's huge on my RS50, not really anything on my 50" Panny VT25 plasma and a nice but not big gain on my 46" Sammy D630 LCD. This Sharp seems to be so uh sharp that I am wondering if it'll be anything noticeable.

ROB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 3959 Old 06-17-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post
Good question. Maybe the sheer size of the files will slow down pirating.
Did I read it here that HDMI cables can't even carry the signal?
Will the physical media be the size of a LaserDisc to hold the information?
(Grandpa, what's a laserdisc? Never mind. Run along.)
Efforts to stop pirating fall short on every medium.
Maybe 4K will be completely cloud-based and without physical media.
Keeping costs of production and distribution within reason is the best foil.
Give the consumer a product they can afford.
I still have my Pioneer laserdisc player (cost $1,000 at the time) and a collection of about 40 discs, including a bunch of Criterions. The supplemental material on some of those still beats any special edition DVD or Blu-ray I have seen. I have Star Wars on Laserdisc and the Ultimate collection blu-ray and there's still more rare gems on the laserdisc. The extras on the Terminator 2 disc could practically be film school for someone if they wen't through it all (and I say that having gone to graduate film school)...
post #3273 of 3959 Old 06-17-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
haha nice on the metric comment. Here in Canuckland though we basically go by feet.

Do you think the worse satellite image is because this tv is superior at transparency (garbage in, garbage out) or that the resolution enhancement (if you are using it) is causing the issues?

The cnet reviewer reported the enhancement magnifying noise and other artifacts and I think I have seen examples of that but only when I was near the TV. Then there is that consumereports article that implies the feature is also causing some issues in dark areas.

I'll probably be back at my folks tomorrow to watch the dogs so I will bring my Darblet and see what improvement it offers. It's huge on my RS50, not really anything on my 50" Panny VT25 plasma and a nice but not big gain on my 46" Sammy D630 LCD. This Sharp seems to be so uh sharp that I am wondering if it'll be anything noticeable.
I'm much happier with the results with the 'USER' setting on the UQ set.
There is a lot more chroma coming through and it is more natural. Fleshtones are peachy
and even the cyan is looking better. You would be able to tailor each input with that setting.
I remember that the 'MOVIE' setting didn't allow you that option.
Look at the stairstep grayscale to find which temperature has the smallest 'hump' because
you can't use 10-Point on the USER setting. The lowest temperature was it for the UQ and
I just brought blue and green up to kill the red cast. Not a lot of tinkering needed, otherwise!
I have the satellite box set to the same setting as the BluRay calibration disc and it is awesome.
I think you are right about the set showing more defects and maybe adding a few more noise
elements to inferior pictures. That was an issue with HDTV in conversion from NTSC, too.
A real 4K would not be much fun for watching everyday programming till providers up their
game considerably. No way does satellite look HD and cable is far worse. 4K? We'll see,
post #3274 of 3959 Old 06-17-2014, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I have Dish TV and I run from the Hopper at 720, the picture is sharper and fresher then 1080, 1080 is great for BR's, Dish TV....not so much.
Just an observation.

Best of luck
post #3275 of 3959 Old 06-17-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
I still have my Pioneer laserdisc player (cost $1,000 at the time) and a collection of about 40 discs, including a bunch of Criterions. The supplemental material on some of those still beats any special edition DVD or Blu-ray I have seen. I have Star Wars on Laserdisc and the Ultimate collection blu-ray and there's still more rare gems on the laserdisc. The extras on the Terminator 2 disc could practically be film school for someone if they wen't through it all (and I say that having gone to graduate film school)...
DiscoVision rules! I have several Pioneer Elite players with digital freeze and 2-sided play.
The picture quality is surprisingly good for FM encoded NTSC.
post #3276 of 3959 Old 06-17-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Good ol' laserdisc. I remember when my family first got a player and how great that was and going and looking to find some great movies on the super priced discs. What a change to VHS that was in terms of quality.

I agree that regular tv may look like pure crap on a good 4k set. My cable provider is lousy with so much compression so I can only imagine on a good 4k set it'll look brutal. Factor in TVs people are buying are getting bigger each year and the whole cable/satellite industry needs to shape up big time...at least here. No idea if there in the U.S you guys have anything halfway decent.

When it comes ot the Darblet, are people more interested in what it'll look like with blu-ray, hd broadcasts or both equally? I was going to just focus on the blu-ray aspect yet I can check out the junky hd cable feed here if people are interested.

ROB

Last edited by rlindo; 06-17-2014 at 02:58 PM.
post #3277 of 3959 Old 06-17-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Good ol' laserdisc. I remember when my family first got a player and how great that was and going and looking to find some great movies on the super priced discs. What a change to VHS that was in terms of quality.

I agree that regular tv may look like pure crap on a good 4k set. My cable provider is lousy with so much compression so I can only imagine on a good 4k set it'll look brutal. Factor in TVs people are buying are getting bigger each year and the whole cable/satellite industry needs to shape up big time...at least here. No idea if there in the U.S you guys have anything halfway decent.

When it comes ot the Darblet, are people more interested in what it'll look like with blu-ray, hd broadcasts or both equally? I was going to just focus on the blu-ray aspect yet I can check out the junky hd cable feed here if people are interested.
I was thinking more on the side of the broadcast vs Bluray - reason being... i'd probably pick up a darblet vs a whole new oppo system since i use my ps4 as my streaming/bluray player. I'd hate to have to get an oppo and have a ps4 in the same area (plus the wife would kill me if i got a bluray player AND a ps4 ... she wouldn't understand
post #3278 of 3959 Old 06-17-2014, 03:27 PM

Also, I have my products wired to a: Monster HDP 1800 High Definition PowerCenter Surge suppressor. When Paul's TV came in to do the install, they didn't run the coaxial from the PowerCenter back to the TV... so I could also be tuned in for more "cleaning" from source to source since i haven't gotten an extra coaxial yet.

Has anyone else seen a difference on running products through a "powercenter" ?
post #3279 of 3959 Old 06-18-2014, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cable is terrible here in the States and satellite is not much better.
Fiber optic may be better, but I don't know.
I use satellite for TV and fiber optic for internet.
The internet is carried to the TV via the modem/router and is lightning fast.
Maybe 4K will give fiber optic a new lease on life.
As it is, the TV service provided by my internet/phone provider is inferior
in content and higher in price than satellite. I would not even consider cable...
post #3280 of 3959 Old 06-18-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Good news! I'm testing the Darblet right now and so far with blu-ray the result is fantastic. I'm using it on the HD setting between the 45-50% level since I don't find the enhancement to be too artificial at this amount compared to something like 20%. How one sets up their Darblet is of course all personal preference and the higher you set it the more pronounced the effect is.

I'm about to test it with cable and then gaming with my xbox360.

I can right now totally endorse getting one of these little beauties to use with these TVs. It's not as big an improvement as with my RS50 (as expected) yet it is a bigger improvement than what I was figuring it'd be. It is helping to compensate for the reduced contrast setting I was forced to use when I calibrated this TV.

Edit: Checking out cable right now and it looks pretty good (all things considered given the lousy source) and makes watching it more bearable. I'd say with any high quality channels the setting could stay the same as with blu-ray (if using a 40%+ setting like I am) yet if watching SD or poor HD then you'd probably want to dial it down a lot since it will make the already yucky artificial looking image look more artificial.

Edit 2: Playing GTA Online right now and the Darblet adds a very nice improvement to the image. I bumped it up to 55% for this. Very nice result and makes Online look more like the single player mode which I am pretty sure is sharper.

I need to get another Darblet for my bedroom set up, especially when I upgrade the TV. I'll hook this bad boy up when I go home and see if the improvement is enough on my D630 to get it now instead of when I get the new TV possibly later this year. I don't recall it being enough when I tested it 2 years ago when I got it yet it may be worth it now since I have touched up the calibration there.

I can say without question anyone here who is a big blu-ray/HD media player watcher (as well as gamer) should order one of these sooner than later. If you just mainly watch broadcast TV then I don't feel it's worth it but high def movies and games? Hell yes.

Oh and this SQ70 really is great for ambient light viewing.
asanievas22 likes this.

ROB

Last edited by rlindo; 06-18-2014 at 08:53 AM.
post #3281 of 3959 Old 06-18-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool! Of course, you should re-calibrate with the Darblet in place, lest its signal to the LCD screen
cause the white highlights to go blue yet again. There is no escaping the nonlinearity on those
sets in regards to the blue component of the light. Cranking down the contrast setting severely
cuts light output. Have you tried finding the Temperature setting with the least blue to begin with?
On my old set, the coolest (reddest) pre-set temperatures had the least blue in the top brightness
scale. I would assume that the SQ model is still using that technology, based on your accounts.
The algorithm changes depending on the preset you choose so that you might be able to nudge
more overall brightness at your chosen temperature if you start with a redder screen. Just a thought.
Also, what happens when you switch on the OPC? I know you don't want to use it, but I just
wonder. It manipulates contrast, brightness and backlight levels, depending on how much leash
you give it at the Maximum setting end of things...
post #3282 of 3959 Old 06-18-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

The Darblet doesn't alter the greyscale (I don't believe...if it does it is so minor to not be noticeable) so no need to recalibrate and it wouldn't do anything anyway on test patterns if trying to calibrate since it doesn't work like that.

Yeah I calibrated on low and there is still too much blue if I have the contrast higher. if the 10 point actually correctly worked then it'd be fine but as I have stated before it is gimped. You UQ folk don't start off with as much blue in the low setting (as seen by Mechman's ability to use his 10 point) so the 10 point actually has a use there.

I just turned on that light adjustment and set it to +16 max and -11 min. All it did is severely darken the screen.

ROB
post #3283 of 3959 Old 06-18-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Good news! I'm testing the Darblet right now and so far with blu-ray the result is fantastic. I'm using it on the HD setting between the 45-50% level since I don't find the enhancement to be too artificial at this amount compared to something like 20%. How one sets up their Darblet is of course all personal preference and the higher you set it the more pronounced the effect is.

I'm about to test it with cable and then gaming with my xbox360.

I can right now totally endorse getting one of these little beauties to use with these TVs. It's not as big an improvement as with my RS50 (as expected) yet it is a bigger improvement than what I was figuring it'd be. It is helping to compensate for the reduced contrast setting I was forced to use when I calibrated this TV.

Edit: Checking out cable right now and it looks pretty good (all things considered given the lousy source) and makes watching it more bearable. I'd say with any high quality channels the setting could stay the same as with blu-ray (if using a 40%+ setting like I am) yet if watching SD or poor HD then you'd probably want to dial it down a lot since it will make the already yucky artificial looking image look more artificial.

Edit 2: Playing GTA Online right now and the Darblet adds a very nice improvement to the image. I bumped it up to 55% for this. Very nice result and makes Online look more like the single player mode which I am pretty sure is sharper.

I need to get another Darblet for my bedroom set up, especially when I upgrade the TV. I'll hook this bad boy up when I go home and see if the improvement is enough on my D630 to get it now instead of when I get the new TV possibly later this year. I don't recall it being enough when I tested it 2 years ago when I got it yet it may be worth it now since I have touched up the calibration there.

I can say without question anyone here who is a big blu-ray/HD media player watcher (as well as gamer) should order one of these sooner than later. If you just mainly watch broadcast TV then I don't feel it's worth it but high def movies and games? Hell yes.

Oh and this SQ70 really is great for ambient light viewing.
Great review Rob... but now I hate you because I gotta buy a Darblet.
post #3284 of 3959 Old 06-18-2014, 10:33 AM

hey @rlindo , are you using the DVP5000 or the DVP4000 for your review?

**oops.. i think the 5000 is the darblet and the 4000 is the cobalt. nevermind **
post #3285 of 3959 Old 06-18-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Darblet doesn't alter the greyscale (I don't believe...if it does it is so minor to not be noticeable) so no need to recalibrate and it wouldn't do anything anyway on test patterns if trying to calibrate since it doesn't work like that.

Yeah I calibrated on low and there is still too much blue if I have the contrast higher. if the 10 point actually correctly worked then it'd be fine but as I have stated before it is gimped. You UQ folk don't start off with as much blue in the low setting (as seen by Mechman's ability to use his 10 point) so the 10 point actually has a use there.

I just turned on that light adjustment and set it to +16 max and -11 min. All it did is severely darken the screen.
For the OPC to work properly, you have to calibrate in the dark and set the Minimum to 0.
Then, as room conditions and demands of material dictate, it adjusts upward.
I sent you a private message with my settings on my old TV.
Since you have the blue-tinged LEDs, those settings might improve things.
It's a STANDARD mode set-up, so it wouldn't interfere with the proper calibrations and
can always be re-set to factory.

Last edited by johnfull; 06-18-2014 at 11:16 AM.
post #3286 of 3959 Old 06-18-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Does anyone who owns any of these TVs also own a Darblet? I use the Darblet with my RS50 yet keep forgetting to bring it over and see what kind of improvement it may offer the 70SQ.
I have sold hundreds of darbees, very few complaints . It improves every TV....... ( In most cases )
post #3287 of 3959 Old 06-18-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asanievas22 View Post
haha, I hope you'll be as impressed with the results as I was.

ROB
post #3288 of 3959 Old 06-18-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thumbs down Bad Experiences trying to buy a Sharp 80UQ17U - Abe's, TVSuperstores, etc...

I had a bad bait-and-switch attempt when trying to purchase a Sharp LC 80UQ17U @ Abe's of Maine. They tried to tell me the model they were advertising was an import model that could not have the software updated. I put my order on hold, then called Sharp to question the difference between the "Import" model and the US model. Sharp said they did not have different models--Abe's of Main made up that model number. When I called Abe's back to question them, they now said the "Import" model did not come with a warranty.

Abe's uses two different SKUs; "SHLC80UQ17" for the "Import" and "SHLC80UQ17US" for the US version. Both show the same Sharp part number "LC80UQ17U" -- which is the only part number that Sharp recognized. I CANCELLED THE ORDER.

When I tried TVSuperstores.com with an older Sharp LC-80LE844U model, they tried to up-sell me a totally made up version with some "ultra-black" board added to it. Interestingly, the model number was exactly the same. Sharp did not have a model like this either. I CANCELLED THE ORDER.

After I cancelled the first order with TVSuperstores.com, I tried to buy the Sharp LC 80UQ17U, suddenly this model was out of stock. I CANCELLED THE ORDER TOO.

When I tried to buy the Sharp LC 80UQ17U at BigBoxSuperStore.com they called me back and tried to make me buy $240 of Insurance. I CANCELLED THE ORDER.

When I tried to buy the Sharp LC 80UQ17U at EastCoastTVs.com, they called me back and said they could not provide their free shipping to DALLAS, TX. Huh???? I CANCELLED THE ORDER.

When I tried to buy the Sharp LC 80UQ17U at BuySquad.com they tried to add shipping insurance. I CANCELLED THE ORDER.

When I tried to buy the Sharp LC 80UQ17U with "Free Shipping" at 2020PC.com they sent me an email a few days later stating my order was cancelled because it was incomplete. Huh???

The result is all of these companies try "Bait-and-Switch" or fraudulant sales tactics.

I work in the technology industry and I purchase off the internet all the time without incident. However, this is the first time that I tried to purchase a big TV on the internet. I am totally shocked at the BS coming out of these sales people's mouthes.

To all TV Sales companies out there:

I AM LOOKING TO BUY A Sharp LC 80UQ17U at the lowest price, no tax, free delivery to my doorstep, full US warranty. I am even OK with a refurb or blemish-free demo model too.

CONTACT ME IF YOU REALLY WANT TO SELL A TV -- Best deal without the bull$h!t gets my business.
RemoteLogic likes this.
post #3289 of 3959 Old 06-18-2014, 09:25 PM

Liked: 12
I've wondered about some of the stores you mentioned. If it's to good to be true it likely is, or so it seems.

Best of luck
post #3290 of 3959 Old 06-18-2014, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello. I was looking a round to replace my old 32" Panasonic TV with IPS I use as a PC monitor which has served me well but I want to upgrade to something better. I recently, bought and returned, an LG 39LN5300 because I could not stand the gamma shift on it's AMVA panel, and it had high glare.

Are Sharp TV's any good for PC use? And how good are the panels in the 32-40" range? I found the Sharp 39" LC-39LE551U. There are virtually no reviews of it. I get the feeling it will be another AMVA panel though since all 39" are AMVA, at least that's what I suspect since if you go on panelook, all the 39" entries are AMVA. Can anyone who owns this confirm it is AMVA? I want it to be IPS. There is also a 32" model, and some older 40" model I think. I can't fit more than 40" on my desk.
post #3291 of 3959 Old 06-18-2014, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I lurk here a lot, don't post much, and I recently picked up a 70UQ17U.
The TV is great, and I have no complaints, but I have a question about the screen. The mat surface on the panel is wavy where it meets the bezel around the screen. It's hard to describe, so I took the pic to give you an idea. It doesn't affect the picture when the TVs on, and really the only time you notice it is when the screen is off and you look at the reflection.

So my question is; is this normal, or is this something I should be concerned about?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	125602  
post #3292 of 3959 Old 06-19-2014, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sides View Post
I lurk here a lot, don't post much, and I recently picked up a 70UQ17U.
The TV is great, and I have no complaints, but I have a question about the screen. The mat surface on the panel is wavy where it meets the bezel around the screen. It's hard to describe, so I took the pic to give you an idea. It doesn't affect the picture when the TVs on, and really the only time you notice it is when the screen is off and you look at the reflection.

So my question is; is this normal, or is this something I should be concerned about?
That's a bit more than mine has, and mine has more than the 2 year old 70" Sharp that it replaced.
I think they all have some surface irregularities. The bezel on the new ones has gotten so thin --
I wonder if that effects their ability to mount them uniformly. As long as it doesn't effect the picture
quality with clouding or flashlighting or something worse, you should be ok. Mine has more clouding
than the one it replaced, but the new OPC works so much better that the backlighting is never
seen, except at startup. I love the new TV so far...
3sides likes this.
post #3293 of 3959 Old 06-19-2014, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincente D'Ingianni View Post
I had a bad bait-and-switch attempt when trying to purchase a Sharp LC 80UQ17U @ Abe's of Maine. They tried to tell me the model they were advertising was an import model that could not have the software updated. I put my order on hold, then called Sharp to question the difference between the "Import" model and the US model. Sharp said they did not have different models--Abe's of Main made up that model number. When I called Abe's back to question them, they now said the "Import" model did not come with a warranty.

Abe's uses two different SKUs; "SHLC80UQ17" for the "Import" and "SHLC80UQ17US" for the US version. Both show the same Sharp part number "LC80UQ17U" -- which is the only part number that Sharp recognized. I CANCELLED THE ORDER.

When I tried TVSuperstores.com with an older Sharp LC-80LE844U model, they tried to up-sell me a totally made up version with some "ultra-black" board added to it. Interestingly, the model number was exactly the same. Sharp did not have a model like this either. I CANCELLED THE ORDER.

After I cancelled the first order with TVSuperstores.com, I tried to buy the Sharp LC 80UQ17U, suddenly this model was out of stock. I CANCELLED THE ORDER TOO.

When I tried to buy the Sharp LC 80UQ17U at BigBoxSuperStore.com they called me back and tried to make me buy $240 of Insurance. I CANCELLED THE ORDER.

When I tried to buy the Sharp LC 80UQ17U at EastCoastTVs.com, they called me back and said they could not provide their free shipping to DALLAS, TX. Huh???? I CANCELLED THE ORDER.

When I tried to buy the Sharp LC 80UQ17U at BuySquad.com they tried to add shipping insurance. I CANCELLED THE ORDER.

When I tried to buy the Sharp LC 80UQ17U with "Free Shipping" at 2020PC.com they sent me an email a few days later stating my order was cancelled because it was incomplete. Huh???

The result is all of these companies try "Bait-and-Switch" or fraudulant sales tactics.

I work in the technology industry and I purchase off the internet all the time without incident. However, this is the first time that I tried to purchase a big TV on the internet. I am totally shocked at the BS coming out of these sales people's mouthes.

I AM LOOKING TO BUY A Sharp LC 80UQ17U at the lowest price, no tax, free delivery to my doorstep, full US warranty. I am even OK with a refurb or blemish-free demo model too.

CONTACT ME IF YOU REALLY WANT TO SELL A TV -- Best deal without the bull$h!t gets my business.
Why are you fooling around with "bait and switch" online stores? It appears with 2 posts that you do need help. Contact Chris @cleveland plasma (forum sponsor) for a fair price and great service......
post #3294 of 3959 Old 06-19-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asanievas22 View Post
I was thinking about this earlier this morning....have you ever seen a Darblet in action? I only ask because I remember when it came out and people got one and were disappointed thinking it would do something it doesn't.

ROB
post #3295 of 3959 Old 06-19-2014, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincente D'Ingianni View Post

Under no circumstances but from Abe's. They tried to rip me off too. After placing my order they called me to say that it is an over sized item and will have to be privately shipped for an addition $399.00. They were also very pushy trying to sell me hardware, mounts, and a warranty. They lied to me and said the manufacture only gives a 90 day warranty.

http://www.bbb.org/new-jersey/busine...on-nj-27002918 148 complaints since 2006 and counting <<<< Abes !!
post #3296 of 3959 Old 06-19-2014, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How to get 1080p or 4K from Netflix?

I have read a few posts saying they are getting 1080 resolution from Netflix. Is there something they did to make that happen? Where I live, I have 75mbps down plan on Verizon FIOS (quite high for everything else except Netflix), but Netflix absolutely sucks. Its starts at 480 or even below, gradually goes up but never goes past 720p. Vudu does 1080p right off the bat.

So my question to folks who have Netflix is if they did anything special (tweaks, etc.) to get that resolution in the Netflix streams? I never had Netflix until I got a one year subscription as a gift by LG. On a 80 inch Sharp, the image quality is worse.

Last edited by canbonbon; 06-19-2014 at 10:54 AM.
post #3297 of 3959 Old 06-19-2014, 10:51 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by canbonbon View Post
I have read a few posts saying they are getting 1080 resolution from Netflix. Is there something they did to make that happen? Where I live, I have 75mbps down plan on Verizon FIOS (quite high for everything else except Netflix), but Netflix absolutely sucks. Its starts at 480 or even below, gradually goes up but never goes past 720p. Vudu does 1080p right of the bat.

So my question to folks who have Netflix is if they did anything special (tweaks, etc.) to get that resolution in the Netflix streams? I never had Netflix until I got a one year subscription as a gift by LG. On a 80 inch Sharp, the image quality is worse.
I have ATT Uverse for internet only (DTV for my TV), and I have found that the only time I can get 1080p and Super HD is to watch Netllix during the day. It's anecdotal, of course, but I find it impossible to get the higher resolution after 5:00 p.m. during the day. Seems to me they are throttling Netflix somehow.

Also, the device itself seems to have a lot to do with it. I can never get HD resolution from my Xbox One, but my PS4 and Oppo hit that resolution with no problem (during the day only).
post #3298 of 3959 Old 06-19-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought I read earlier this year how some ISPs do throttle Netflix. It may have just been Comcast in some contract type dispute yet I can see others doing the same.

ROB
post #3299 of 3959 Old 06-19-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Netflix and Verizon have been at odds with each other over Net neutrality.

http://www.zdnet.com/netflix-traffic...os-7000026500/
post #3300 of 3959 Old 06-19-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Why are you fooling around with "bait and switch" online stores? It appears with 2 posts that you do need help. Contact Chris @cleveland plasma (forum sponsor) for a fair price and great service......
Ditto. Vincente, you ran right down the list of unscrupulous vendors. Unfortunately they come up first in low price searches. Also, they have managed to stuff the ballot boxes at vendor rating services, but if you look closely you will come across enough credible descriptions of experiences just like yours to raise a big red flag. I appreciate you reporting all the bad transactions and luckily you seem to have escaped with no permanent damage, but you could have avoided all the aggravation with just a little time researching before ordering. One key sign that can be found pretty easily, besides the bad experience descriptions, is that all these vendors require "shipping insurance" for "large items". You'll find it somewhere in the middle of their shipping information page. I don't know of any legitimate vendors who tack this on.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
picture , Sharp 80 Inch Le650 Class Aquos Smart Led Tv , Sharp Aquos Quattron 70 Inch Class 3d Tv 2 Pairs Of Active 3d Glassses , Sharp He Lc 70ud1u 70 Inch Aquos 4k Ultra Hd 3d Smart Led Tv , smartcentral
Gear in this thread - Le650 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page