2014 Sharp AQUOS Line-Up - Page 121 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3601 of 3973 Old 07-17-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Understood, Im just coming from plasma and know nothing about Sharp menu features. I read the Cnet review on the 2014 UQ and they made it sound like the rez enhance made the image worse. So Im trying to get a bearing on everything I need to try and what it actually does.

Chad will be able to set most of it accurately, but there is always stuff like frame interpolation I may choose one way before he calibrates.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3973 Old 07-17-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Understood, Im just coming from plasma and know nothing about Sharp menu features. I read the Cnet review on the 2014 UQ and they made it sound like the rez enhance made the image worse. So Im trying to get a bearing on everything I need to try and what it actually does.

Chad will be able to set most of it accurately, but there is always stuff like frame interpolation I may choose one way before he calibrates.
The review said that certain content distorted because of the
uni-directional enhancement. The review said that it is not
noticeable from a proper viewing distance, but noted the artifact.
You can decide whether or not you like the added detail.
Most services compress the signal, so it might be moot.

If Chad doesn't mind, you could post your readings here and join
the conversation about the yellow pixel and its effect on calibration.
I'm leading a group of renegades who think you need more blue
than an RGB device calls for to counteract the Y of RGBY.
The sets are notoriously touchy with fleshtones, so I hope he does
a good job and that you are pleased!
post #3603 of 3973 Old 07-17-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Ive talked at length with him about the yellow pixel, which he agrees causes issues. He has done a lot of sharp work and has a method for it.

I have no problem posting my settings, as long as folks realize it may make things worse on their set

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
post #3604 of 3973 Old 07-17-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

The other thing to consider, watching a 70" display at 12 feet means very little with regards to 4K, so better motion resolution is probably the better choice, vs psuedo 4K.

Ill have to look it all over with some good testing, I have plenty of blu-ray test discs

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
post #3605 of 3973 Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ive talked at length with him about the yellow pixel, which he agrees causes issues. He has done a lot of sharp work and has a method for it.

I have no problem posting my settings, as long as folks realize it may make things worse on their set
Good to hear that he addresses the yellow pixel problems.
Anything that is done can be undone, so none of need be afraid of
trying different settings!
post #3606 of 3973 Old 07-17-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The other thing to consider, watching a 70" display at 12 feet means very little with regards to 4K, so better motion resolution is probably the better choice, vs psuedo 4K.

Ill have to look it all over with some good testing, I have plenty of blu-ray test discs
You might look at some of the YouTube content that is labeled 4K
to see the added upscaling effect. While it is not true 4K, it shows
off the clarity of the resolution enhancement very nicely.
post #3607 of 3973 Old 07-17-2014, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Has anyone used the wallpaper feature on the UQ Q+ yet? I have loaded pics on to a USB drive and activated in the menu. I "thought" when you turn the unit off it was supposed to convert any pic into a watercolor or oil painting, using an internal feature. I have consulted the manual and don't see that there is a way to adjust the settings to apply that filter. Maybe I misunderstood the application. It just displays the picture in its original format in cycles of 3 minutes, between multiple pics. Am I missing something or did I truly misinterpret the functionality?
post #3608 of 3973 Old 07-17-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRod16 View Post
Has anyone used the wallpaper feature on the UQ Q+ yet? I have loaded pics on to a USB drive and activated in the menu. I "thought" when you turn the unit off it was supposed to convert any pic into a watercolor or oil painting, using an internal feature. I have consulted the manual and don't see that there is a way to adjust the settings to apply that filter. Maybe I misunderstood the application. It just displays the picture in its original format in cycles of 3 minutes, between multiple pics. Am I missing something or did I truly misinterpret the functionality?
I think it only displays what you put into it.
Maybe you can run your art through Instagram or PhotoShop first?
post #3609 of 3973 Old 07-17-2014, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post
I think it only displays what you put into it.
Maybe you can run your art through Instagram or PhotoShop first?
That is what I have deduced, from my further research. I DID misunderstand the feature.
post #3610 of 3973 Old 07-17-2014, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
except that the 4k at content on you tube is streamed at 1080p not 4 k, so if you are seeing anything its purely a placebo effect.

The ONLY way to get and view a 4k source on these tv"s is to do so via a USB file or from a device that can truly output 4k such as some of the higher end PC graphics cards or newer Macbook pros.

Even then it will be very difficult to impossible to distinguish from a 1080 source.
post #3611 of 3973 Old 07-17-2014, 08:21 PM

Liked: 24
Purple stripe has returned... same place as before; unaffected by source selection (Oppo BD or cable box). Will be calling Sharp tomorrow.

post #3612 of 3973 Old 07-17-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
I hope by this you mean if they have a computer connected to the TV rather than via the YouTube app since it has been stated and proven numerous times the app does not output at 4k and you very well know that unless you have decided to not believe the handful of users who have stated that undeniable fact. If you are talking about the built-in app then please do not spread misinformation as it helps nobody and people don't need to fire up the YouTube app and think they are seeing 4k when they aren't.

I also agree with azcompguy that the difference between 1080 and the 4k is minimal on these sets. I do believe there is a difference yet it isn't night and day as in someone could see the 4k feed and say "well that's 4k for sure!"

ROB
post #3613 of 3973 Old 07-18-2014, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
I hope by this you mean if they have a computer connected to the TV rather than via the YouTube app since it has been stated and proven numerous times the app does not output at 4k and you very well know that unless you have decided to not believe the handful of users who have stated that undeniable fact. If you are talking about the built-in app then please do not spread misinformation as it helps nobody and people don't need to fire up the YouTube app and think they are seeing 4k when they aren't.

I also agree with azcompguy that the difference between 1080 and the 4k is minimal on these sets. I do believe there is a difference yet it isn't night and day as in someone could see the 4k feed and say "well that's 4k for sure!"
The YouTube picture is better than my Dish Network satellite feed.
That's really all I'm saying. The satellite images are compressed
and noisy in comparison and don't show the upscaling effect of the
TV as nicely as YouTube. I don't think I claimed actual 4K content.
It's still a toss-up whether to use the resolution or the motion
enhancement since you can't have both. I think it was you, Rob,
who told me to use the AquoMotion 240 and it has been adequate
to my purposes to eliminate the strobing of the backlight.
Aquo 960 seems like a lot of overkill, but some people say they get
double images at the 240 strobe setting. Choices are available...
post #3614 of 3973 Old 07-18-2014, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I want to get a Sharp 70 inch SQ, I still have about 600 posts in this thread left to read, but what I have read convinced me a 70SQ is the way to go for me. I've copied down people's settings to try for when I get the tv. So thanks to all of you for the information.

My question and or problem possibly is my TV stand is 40 inches tall. My viewing distance is from 12 feet away, and my eye level is at about 38 inches high when I'm sitting in my chair. Will the fact that because my stand is 40 inches tall so I won't be looking straight on the middle of the screen, I will be looking up a little bit be any kind of problem for me with how the TV looks? I'm very limited space wise and the 40 inch high stand is my only option. Does anyone here think this will be any kind of problem for me? Thanks.
post #3615 of 3973 Old 07-18-2014, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman321 View Post
I want to get a Sharp 70 inch SQ, I still have about 600 posts in this thread left to read, but what I have read convinced me a 70SQ is the way to go for me. I've copied down people's settings to try for when I get the tv. So thanks to all of you for the information.

My question and or problem possibly is my TV stand is 40 inches tall. My viewing distance is from 12 feet away, and my eye level is at about 38 inches high when I'm sitting in my chair. Will the fact that because my stand is 40 inches tall so I won't be looking straight on the middle of the screen, I will be looking up a little bit be any kind of problem for me with how the TV looks? I'm very limited space wise and the 40 inch high stand is my only option. Does anyone here think this will be any kind of problem for me? Thanks.

The SQ has a nice picture.. I've applied Johnfulls settings for the UQ with a + or - here or there.. U shouldn't have a problem at that height. The side viewing angle is the concern with these sets. Any view away from the edge of the screen and u start losing...
Iceman321 likes this.
post #3616 of 3973 Old 07-18-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman321 View Post

Sharp UQ17U Calibrations
Iceman321 likes this.
post #3617 of 3973 Old 07-20-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Having used the WOW disc to calibrate my display I just adjusted my settings to these and was really pleased with the results.

Army Rangers lead the way!

Pioneer SC-1523K, OPPO-103, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Darbee DVP 5000, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #3618 of 3973 Old 07-20-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post
Having used the WOW disc to calibrate my display I just adjusted my settings to these and was really pleased with the results.
post #3619 of 3973 Old 07-20-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by labboypro View Post
Purple stripe has returned... same place as before; unaffected by source selection (Oppo BD or cable box). Will be calling Sharp tomorrow.
Odds are, a new TV will be coming......... It happens to every make and every model........
labboypro likes this.
post #3620 of 3973 Old 07-20-2014, 08:25 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Odds are, a new TV will be coming......... It happens to every make and every model........
Since I bought it from BB (I'm not usually a BB customer, but circumstances pushed me there for this purchase), I had to jump through Geek Squad hoops... phone call to discuss, phone call to set up "TV repair" appointment (where they were going to "diagnose" the problem even though I already offered pictures and my debug efforts-- swapping cables, sources, inputs); followed by 7:30am call from GS tech unilaterally rescheduling his appointment window, then late afternoon (5 minutes BEFORE his self-scheduled service window closed) called to say it would be another 2 hours, followed by another call an hour later to ask me if I could just send him pictures of the problem (so I shared yet again my debug efforts, then texted him pictures and a link to a vidcap), followed by a late evening call to tell me... "it's the panel." Duh. In theory, they'll get some sort of ball rolling on Monday.

*sigh*
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #3621 of 3973 Old 07-20-2014, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclay View Post
If your Pioneer is like mine (I have the sc68), there is a setting for ARC that is kind of hidden. Also, The UQ set requires you to use hdmi 3 for the ARC out. Not sure if that's the same for the SQ. ARC works fine for me. Good luck!

Still a negative on the ARC but that's really not an issue since I prefer the ROKU 3. However I'm curios as to what you have your V.CONV resolution set at on your SC68? I'm having issues with choppy video ( DIRECTV ) and have found it seems to cure the issue with it set to 4K. Thanks in advance.

Army Rangers lead the way!

Pioneer SC-1523K, OPPO-103, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Darbee DVP 5000, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #3622 of 3973 Old 07-20-2014, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post
Still a negative on the ARC but that's really not an issue since I prefer the ROKU 3. However I'm curios as to what you have your V.CONV resolution set at on your SC68? I'm having issues with choppy video ( DIRECTV ) and have found it seems to cure the issue with it set to 4K. Thanks in advance.
C.CONV is set to Off. No issues (Dish).
post #3623 of 3973 Old 07-21-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
So now I have the 80uq. Nice set, no flashlighting at the corners. Very minimal clouding - after gently massaging the screen where clouding appeared - good tip there.

can you explain "gently massaging the screen"
post #3624 of 3973 Old 07-21-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I've heard the suggestion of a new, dry paint roller, putting gentle broad pressure on the screen.
I don't think I dare try it on my 70" UQ17U, even though it has a cloud in the upper lefthand
corner when the TV is booting up. Never during playback -- even when the screen is dark in
that corner, but has objects elsewhere, like end credits. Backlight control seems to alleviate it.
Someone else said that the diffusion material gradually evens out with time, so that's my solution.
Meantime, I try to not watch those first few seconds when it's firing up...
post #3625 of 3973 Old 07-21-2014, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukemon View Post
can you explain "gently massaging the screen"
Well, you'll need some candles, scented oil and mood music of your choice...

If that doesn't work, try this...

Using a dry soft cloth (micro fiber is fine) gently rub (in a circular motion) the areas that show clouding. The only time I notice any clouding now is when the set is shutting down.
chiptouz and drbveb88 like this.
post #3626 of 3973 Old 07-21-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Well, you'll need some candles, scented oil and mood music of your choice...

If that doesn't work, try this...

Using a dry soft cloth (micro fiber is fine) gently rub (in a circular motion) the areas that show clouding. The only time I notice any clouding now is when the set is shutting down.
I'm ready got the battery candles, can of air freshener, cd of ZZ Top then I'll massage the screen
thx
post #3627 of 3973 Old 07-21-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I don't know if this was already posted but if not, Sound and Vision posted their review of a 60" UQ and the reviewer seemed to like it aside from the mediocre black level. He felt the sharpness and colour was very good and it seems his feelings pretty much match mine based on my time with the SQ.

Here is a link to the calibrated settings he got. Keep in mind these are calibrated as in not by eye so if you prefer an image that may have a blue bias for more supposed "pop" they probably won't be for you. Also of note is the set out of the box was indeed too blue (like every other Sharp Q+ model despite anyone who thinks otherwise...) although like I have seen with Mechman's set and the CNET set, the UQ in THX mode is far more accurate out of the box than the SQ is which makes me wonder what Sharp was thinking with the SQ. It also seems the colours are more accurate given the slight changes to the CMS Tom had there.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-hdtv-settings

If you read the review you'll note he doesn't talk about fleshtones being yellow so those who think it is somehow built into these sets because of the yellow sub pixel are most likely wrong. I was able to spend more time with the SQ Saturday and can confirm again that fleshtones aren't all yellow. The one thing I do notice is that spots on skin sometimes seem to be too yellow which had me thinking it was an issue with the set adding a yellow bias yet I compared it on displays at home (all calibrated) and the same spots are yellow yet just not as vibrant as with the Sharp so they blend in a more natural looking way. At this time I do not know if it is an issue with the TV and how it shows yellow (though other yellow areas don't seem off) and close to yellow areas or if it is simply how LED light sourced sets are. At this time I am thinking it is probably part the colours being more vibrant than my CCFL and plasma and LCOS based displays at home and part the TV having a bit of a boost/issue in that shade at specific saturation values (I don't have the ability to see how the colour chart is at various saturation levels) so that is why the shade was more obvious than with other displays. A by-product of the yellow subpixel? Maybe yet again, other areas don't seem to have an issue and fleshtones overall look fine so I do not know. It's also possible I am very sensitive to yellow so what I see is maybe something others wouldn't see. What I notice is also not apparent with every person and again, fleshtones overall look good and natural.

Now I do believe some may be seeing fleshtones that are too yellow (Mechman mentioned this and compared to his plasma) so I do not know what the deal is. I just know it seems it can be corrected.

One thing I adjusted to try and decrease what I was seeing was move the yellow hue more towards red as it made these yellow areas not be so pronounced. It's less accurate yet seemed to be better to my eyes. I believe the value setting in the CMS is supposed to control luminance yet it doesn't work. If it did then I could probably just take care of this with that.

I'll probably end up replacing my great Sammy D630 LCD (which has a better black level, contrast ratio and image depth to these Sharp sets) with the Sammy H7150 so if/when I do that I'll be able to see how the colour is with that LED based set. If I see the same thing then I'll know it is just how it is for LED based sets but if the 7150 looks like my other displays then I'll know it is indeed the Sharp making these spots a bit funky.
jhughy2010 likes this.

ROB
post #3628 of 3973 Old 07-21-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I think we might hit some common points of agreement, Rob.
I've found that, despite my best efforts so far, the UQ set still retains some yellow blotches
in the skin tones. I have to limit the overall Color level to maintain realism much more than
with my older model that this one replaced. The blue bias in the white temperature covers
a variety of nonlinearities in the grayscale, as always -- a cheap fix -- but not enough to
eliminate all trace of that sulfur powder that finds its way onto some cheekbones.
I think they are using the yellow pixel much more aggressively on these sets than on the
LC series of the recent past. Not only is the yellow used to make the white brighter, but it
is now serving to add detail to the pictures as well. Their paint-by-numbers scheme is flawed.
I've seen articles that point to an abandonment of the Quattron system after this year in favor
of a new backlight LED that has a better color spectrum to work from.
Originally, the Quattron was a way to expand the middle of the color spectrum by allowing
the green to be less yellow and better able to make a tropical Cyan. This worked well with the
CCFL fluorescent pigments because they could be tailored to emit specific frequencies.
I have a buddy with an older Toshiba wide-gamut CCFL and the aquamarine colors are stunning.
These can barely muster a powder-blue. The reason is not the green, but the blue. The white
LEDs are based on a blue LED with a yellow phosphor painted on. All makers use a similar
scheme with the white LEDs. The blue is too violet, though, and mixes poorly with green and
is not the prettiest shade in and of itself. So, the original purpose of Quattron -- to open up the
middle of the color spectrum gamut -- has been replaced by using the yellow for sheer brightness.
This is done by making the blue work double-time with yellow as well as with the red/green.
It is not a wider color gamut anymore. Quite the contrary. Sharp is doing research right now
with a new white LED scheme, though, which promises to return them to good reputation.
They will use a blue LED, coupled with red and blue/green phosphors to get more of the total
spectrum and without the yellow pixel. So far, they haven't gotten the brightness they want nor
the durability of the red phosphor that they demand for their customers, but they are getting
close. Just in time for 4K, they can dump the costly 33% increase in cost that a yellow pixel
imposes. Judging from the high-quality wide-gamut CCFLs of the past, there is reason to hope
that tropical aquamarines will be forthcoming yet again -- and we can say goodbye to sulfur cheeks!

Last edited by johnfull; 07-21-2014 at 01:20 PM.
post #3629 of 3973 Old 07-21-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukemon View Post
I'm ready got the battery candles, can of air freshener, cd of ZZ Top then I'll massage the screen
thx
Maybe a little Pearl Necklace to finish it off? I just went where no man should go....ummm where is the exit.

Argyl Home Theater - Indefinitely Delayed

My Movie Library - and still growing!

Family Room: Sharp LC-80uq17u + Denon 3808ci + Oppo 93, Speakers: C: Polk CSi-A6, F(L+R): Polk Rti-A7, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: HSU – VTF3-MK4
post #3630 of 3973 Old 07-21-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

At least then you'd know what was causing the clouding...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
picture , Sharp 80 Inch Le650 Class Aquos Smart Led Tv , Sharp Aquos Quattron 70 Inch Class 3d Tv 2 Pairs Of Active 3d Glassses , Sharp He Lc 70ud1u 70 Inch Aquos 4k Ultra Hd 3d Smart Led Tv , smartcentral
Gear in this thread - Le650 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page