post #3691 of 3977 Old 08-08-2014, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post
http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-bd...ayer-reviewed/

What is Darbee Visual Presence? In a nutshell, it's a form of video processing that improves the sense of depth and clarity in the image by adjusting luminance values, using light and shadow in much the same way an artist does to create a sense of depth and detail in a painting. Unlike sharpness controls and other edge-enhancement technologies that add unwanted information to make the picture seem more detailed, or the contrast/black enhancement tools that just play with overall white and black levels (usually crushing white/black detail in the process), Darbee Visual Presence works at the pixel level, changing luminance values and adding 3D visual cues by creating left and right frames within a 2D space to enhance the sense of depth, dimensionality and, consequently, detail. The technology may be difficult to explain, but the effect is actually quite easy to see. You can learn more about Darbee Visual Presence through the company's website.

I wonder if it would work as well with the UQ17U since it has an advanced 'Contrast Engine"

http://tvevaluate.com/sharp-uq17u-vs...vs-lc-60sq15u/

The UQ17U utilizes the Super bright technology, which is omitted from the SQ15U. The aforementioned technology is a combination of a high brightness panel and a contrast engine that enhances the brightness without degrading the black levels, thus the picture on the UQ17U is more contrasted. The extra brightness can also improve the 3D images in case of the UQ range, since the active shutter 3D glasses can sometimes block too much light, making the image appear darker.
I would give it a try, you can always return it if you don't think it improves what you already have.

Army Rangers lead the way!

Pioneer SC-1523K, OPPO-103, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Darbee DVP 5000, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 3977 Old 08-08-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Hmm...I don't know -- I may be replacing my Denon universal player with the Oppo at some point.
I think the resolution of this set is already stunning. Most issues are centered around content now...
356c and Hubertoliver like this.
post #3693 of 3977 Old 08-09-2014, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Sharp LC-70SQ15U or LC-70EQ10U?

I've been eying 70" TV's for a while. I currently have an Epson Projector and home theater downstairs. Upstairs I have a Samsung 61" 61A750 DLP going on 6 years. It still is an awesome set. I want to upgrade. The Sharps seem like the ones that I like the most. Yet it seems all brands have their problems. I like photographing so I would like to view images on a nice TV. Along with gaming, OTA programming, and ROKU shows. Movies are for the downstairs. Is the 70SQ15U with Q+ worth the extra $500? CNET says it is gimmicky. Not that I agree much with CNET. Or is the 70EQ10U good enough without the Q+? Also what worries me a bit about the Sharps is a lot of light bleeding on the edges. Any tips, info, help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Scott.
post #3694 of 3977 Old 08-09-2014, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawater View Post
I've been eying 70" TV's for a while. I currently have an Epson Projector and home theater downstairs. Upstairs I have a Samsung 61" 61A750 DLP going on 6 years. It still is an awesome set. I want to upgrade. The Sharps seem like the ones that I like the most. Yet it seems all brands have their problems. I like photographing so I would like to view images on a nice TV. Along with gaming, OTA programming, and ROKU shows. Movies are for the downstairs. Is the 70SQ15U with Q+ worth the extra $500? CNET says it is gimmicky. Not that I agree much with CNET. Or is the 70EQ10U good enough without the Q+? Also what worries me a bit about the Sharps is a lot of light bleeding on the edges. Any tips, info, help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Scott.

The 70 SQ has better resolution resulting in a crisper picture . I owned the EQ and exchanged for the SQ within BB 30 day period. Some Corner lighting is noticed during dark scenes while watching in a dark room ...not a game changer IMO
post #3695 of 3977 Old 08-09-2014, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue comet View Post
The 70 SQ has better resolution resulting in a crisper picture
The SQ has the same resolution as its little brother. The SQ is a 1080p TV.

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

post #3696 of 3977 Old 08-09-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
So it doesn't really make much difference then?
post #3697 of 3977 Old 08-09-2014, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So it doesn't really make much difference then?
In all actuality it doesn't.... I think the SQ is a decent enough TV, however, if I could do it again I would probably look elsewhere. The Vizio M series scored raving reviews and last year Samsung Plasma sets are an excellent deal as well in my opinion and for almost a $1000 less.

The SQ and the UQ are gimmicky products due to the whole "effective" 4k display stuff Sharp touts.

Theater set-up:  

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

post #3698 of 3977 Old 08-09-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post
I got the DARBEE hooked up this morning and my initial impression is outstanding. Still experimenting with the settings.
As a Darbee dealer, we get very few complaints......
post #3699 of 3977 Old 08-09-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:

Not quite correct - the SQ, like the UQ, is a Quatron+ TV, meaning 1080p+/4K-

Where a true 'standard' RGB LED/LCD has 3 subpixels per pixel and a total of 6 million subpixels in a 1080p resolution screen, and a standard Sharp Quatron LCD has 4 subpixels per pixel and a total of 8 million subpixels in a 1080p resolution screen, the Q+ panels (both SQ and UQ) split each of these subpixles to result in 8 subpixels per pixel and a total of 16 million subpixels in a 1080p+/4K- resolution screen.

This compares to a standard RGB 4K screen which has a total of 24 million subpixels per 4K resolution screen.

The 16 million subpixels of a Q+ screen can be individually addressed allowing the SQ/UQ to deliver near 4K resolution - true 4K resolution in chroma and green and half-4K resolution in red and green. So for 4:2:2 sources the Q+ panels will look indistinguishable from a true 4K panel and for true 4:4:4 4K sources, the Q+ panels will have full 4K vertical resolution but only half horizontal resolution.

If you compare the Q+ panels in a store to both RGB 1080p panels and RGB 4K panels, the pixel structure is much more similar to a true 4K panel (less visible pixels).

To recap:

standard RGB 1080p = 6 million subpixels
standard Sharp Quatron 1080p (ie: Sharp EQ) = 8 million subpixels
Sharp Quatron+ 100p+/4K- (ie: Sharp SQ/UQ) = 16 million subpixels
standard RGB 4K = 24 million subpixels
post #3700 of 3977 Old 08-09-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I don't know what the "little brother" of the SQ is but the SQ has a better more detailed picture than the EQ (i think that's what your asking). EQ is quattron while SQ is quattron + . SQ is worth the additional cost plus has 3d...
post #3701 of 3977 Old 08-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Where a true 'standard' RGB LED/LCD has 3 subpixels per pixel and a total of 6 million subpixels in a 1080p resolution screen, and a standard Sharp Quatron LCD has 4 subpixels per pixel and a total of 8 million subpixels in a 1080p resolution screen, the Q+ panels (both SQ and UQ) split each of these subpixles to result in 8 subpixels per pixel and a total of 16 million subpixels in a 1080p+/4K- resolution screen.

This compares to a standard RGB 4K screen which has a total of 24 million subpixels per 4K resolution screen.

The 16 million subpixels of a Q+ screen can be individually addressed allowing the SQ/UQ to deliver near 4K resolution - true 4K resolution in chroma and green and half-4K resolution in red and green. So for 4:2:2 sources the Q+ panels will look indistinguishable from a true 4K panel and for true 4:4:4 4K sources, the Q+ panels will have full 4K vertical resolution but only half horizontal resolution.

If you compare the Q+ panels in a store to both RGB 1080p panels and RGB 4K panels, the pixel structure is much more similar to a true 4K panel (less visible pixels).

To recap:

If you want to buy into the "sub" pixel gimmick that's fine. I'm content with my SQ in knowing that it's JUST a 1080p TV. It is no sharper than any other 1080p TV I've seen. 4k on both the SQ and UQ is a joke.
Quote:
I don't know what the "little brother" of the SQ is but the SQ has a better more detailed picture than the EQ (i think that's what your asking). EQ is quattron while SQ is quattron + . SQ is worth the additional cost plus has 3d...
Yes I was referring to the EQ. The SQ has slightly better blacks than the EQ. I have not compared them side by side, however, I would save the few hundred bucks and get the EQ over the SQ if I was stuck with Sharp. Actually, I wouldn't even get a Sharp. I'd get a Samsung Plasma.

I'd bet a paycheck the SQ is not convincingly sharper when even side by side with the EQ.

It has been said here by many reputable members on the forums that the Sharp's are gimmicky... those same members highly recommend Samsung plasma and Vizio FALD panels (both for hundreds less).
post #3702 of 3977 Old 08-09-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
If you want to buy into the "sub" pixel gimmick that's fine. I'm content with my SQ in knowing that it's JUST a 1080p TV. It is no sharper than any other 1080p TV I've seen. 4k on both the SQ and UQ is a joke.

Yes I was referring to the EQ. The SQ has slightly better blacks than the EQ. I have not compared them side by side, however, I would save the few hundred bucks and get the EQ over the SQ if I was stuck with Sharp. Actually, I wouldn't even get a Sharp. I'd get a Samsung Plasma.

I'd bet a paycheck the SQ is not convincingly sharper when even side by side with the EQ.

It has been said here by many reputable members on the forums that the Sharp's are gimmicky... those same members highly recommend Samsung plasma and Vizio FALD panels (both for hundreds less).

It sounds like the Q+ is a built in Darbee. I know a lot of people love the Darbee. I had one for my theater projector but returned it. All it did was sharpen the image. Like you can in Photoshop or Lightroom. It made the film look "crunchy." So in turn I thought the the Darbee was nothing more than electronic snake oil. IMO. I'm now going to look at the Sony KDL70W850B. Thanks.
post #3703 of 3977 Old 08-09-2014, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

To recap:

Quote:
Quote:
It sounds like the Q+ is a built in Darbee. I know a lot of people love the Darbee. I had one for my theater projector but returned it. All it did was sharpen the image. Like you can in Photoshop or Lightroom. It made the film look "crunchy." So in turn I thought the the Darbee was nothing more than electronic snake oil. IMO. I'm now going to look at the Sony KDL70W850B. Thanks.
Yes I've read great reviews on Darbee. It likely does enhance the image in ways the SQ cannot though.

The 850b seems like a great choice if you can afford it.
post #3704 of 3977 Old 08-10-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Yes I've read great reviews on Darbee. It likely does enhance the image in ways the SQ cannot though.

The 850b seems like a great choice if you can afford it.

Comparing Sharp TV's only , the SQ has a better, crisper picture than the EQ . Details in the background are crisper .. As i stated ,i owned both and thats the opinion of myself and half dozen other viewers around my gathering of family and friends who viewed both sets .... Whether its worth the extra money is the buyers decision.. To me it was..
Seawater likes this.
post #3705 of 3977 Old 08-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Comparing Sharp TV's only , the SQ has a better, crisper picture than the EQ . Details in the background are crisper .. As i stated ,i owned both and thats the opinion of myself and half dozen other viewers around my gathering of family and friends who viewed both sets .... Whether its worth the extra money is the buyers decision.. To me it was..
Fair enough... I don't entirely regret my purchase, however, I think I would have been more content with a discounted Sammy plasma or the 2014 E series Vizio.
post #3706 of 3977 Old 08-10-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

juhughy2010 --

Just out of curiosity, did you try any of my calibrations?
They can be found here:

Sharp UQ17U Calibrations

It seems that you went with gauge-determined settings in Movie mode,
if my memory serves me at all. Either from a magazine or a user here with a gauge.
That's great if you like it, but you seem disappointed in the Sharp somehow.
I would like to hear your critique of the USER setting posted at the top of the thread.

Your dissatisfaction may have nothing to do with color temperature (white color), but
maybe you can see if you like it or not. Either way, I'd love the feedback.
There are definitely two camps -- those who swear by the gauges and those who don't.
My theory is that Quattron sets throw off the machine readings with the yellow pixel.
They make the gauge read too much blue, were actually it is needed to counteract
the yellow wavelength. Since the gauge is RGB and the Yellow is a different wavelength,
they either don't see it at all or, more likely, misread it. Thanks for your time!
post #3707 of 3977 Old 08-11-2014, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I calibrated with the spears & munsil 2nd edition disk. Picture is great but I still think something is missing. Haven't touched the cms settings. How important are these settings? Do these settings change as you change the basic settings. Also does the tv automatically upscale a blu ray? I ask because when I set my blu ray player to upscale I get sound drops. Turn it off and no sound drops. This is an SQ set.
post #3708 of 3977 Old 08-11-2014, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post
juhughy2010 --

Just out of curiosity, did you try any of my calibrations?
They can be found here:

Sharp UQ17U Calibrations

It seems that you went with gauge-determined settings in Movie mode,
if my memory serves me at all. Either from a magazine or a user here with a gauge.
That's great if you like it, but you seem disappointed in the Sharp somehow.
I would like to hear your critique of the USER setting posted at the top of the thread.

Your dissatisfaction may have nothing to do with color temperature (white color), but
maybe you can see if you like it or not. Either way, I'd love the feedback.
There are definitely two camps -- those who swear by the gauges and those who don't.
My theory is that Quattron sets throw off the machine readings with the yellow pixel.
They make the gauge read too much blue, were actually it is needed to counteract
the yellow wavelength. Since the gauge is RGB and the Yellow is a different wavelength,
they either don't see it at all or, more likely, misread it. Thanks for your time!
Hi John, I am in no way saying that I am disappointing in the calibration settings that rlindo provided in his recent 10 point calibration extravaganza. I think the Sharp SQ has the ability to display a stunning 1080p image that is as sharp as any 1080p TV set out there. Blacks suffer a little on this set, however, it is an LCD so I really wasn't expecting to get the deep ink blacks as the plasmas. Personally, I saw an F8500 in Best Buy right next to a UQ and I was blown away by the F8500. The dark scenes were mouth watering. If I could have done it again, I would have purchased a discounted Plasma like Mark Henninger recently did.

Anyhow, my biggest gripe with the Sharp displays is the outlandish marketing scheme that these displays are somehow 4k simply because it can playback 4k content and it has more "sub" pixels than a 1080p TV. Well, it still only has the same amount of "pixels" so I'm not convinced, nor will I ever be. This is my opinion however, I still purchased one, I regret it, and when I get a chance I think I'll get rid of it and get a 4k TV. There was nothing more mouth watering than watching 4k content on the Samsung's HU8550. I didn't purchase that set due to the price... I think I should have saved up or waited for Vizio P series.

Theater set-up:  

post #3709 of 3977 Old 08-12-2014, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the clarification. I've got my own issues with Sharp and their gimmicks, too.
They originally created Quattron as a wide-gamut color system and I bought my first one
a couple of years ago expecting as much, but was disappointed. The UQ17U is a warranty
replacement for that one and is still not wide-gamut, but is at least stronger in red than
the previous one. The problem here is the backlight source, which uses a blue that is too
violet. It's been written about and it seems that this year's set is better than the 2012.
They've been criticized for poor performing cyan for as long as LEDs have been used.
Sharp is dropping Quattron on 4K and trying to reclaim the mantle of wide-gamut for
themselves next year. I have no use for 4K on a 70" screen, at 12 feet, with 58 year old eyes,
but I do see colors very accutely (hence, the saga with Rob). Until there is content for the
4K system, I won't feel like I'm missing anything -- the Q+ sets deliver a very crisp picture.
The added yellow pixel allows a good range of greens and really boosts the brightness.
Meantime, when I watch a friend's older Toshiba wide-gamut CCFL set and see the deep
and vivid aquamarine, I feel cheated somehow. You and I share that feeling in common...
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #3710 of 3977 Old 08-12-2014, 09:45 AM

Liked: 11
Am I missing something or are the 2013 and 2014 models of the Sharp LC 80LE650U the same?
post #3711 of 3977 Old 08-12-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Everything but the price -- no longer top of the line. Q+ and 4K have superseded.
Plenty of people, myself included, like the older technology as well or better and it's a better value.
post #3712 of 3977 Old 08-12-2014, 03:19 PM

Liked: 11
The Sharp LC 80LE650U can be found for under $2600. But they appear to be 2013 models while the 2014 models start around $2800. That's why I was wondering if thier was a difference.

I was at a Pauls TV yesterday and the Sharp LC 80LE650U picture was pretty much the same as the Sharp LC 80UQ17U. The Sharp LC 80UQ17U was around $5000. Unless you have money to burn the LE650 is a great set for the money. I think I'm going to take the plunng before football season.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #3713 of 3977 Old 08-12-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

That sounds like a reasonable purchase -- you have to be really close to the newer Q+ sets
to see the difference in resolution. Ditto, the true 4Ks. I think Sharp probably gave the old
model the same new LEDs that the newest generation got, so you get the best of both worlds...
post #3714 of 3977 Old 08-12-2014, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Anyone get a recent firmware upgrade? I did. No issues, but trying to find out what was updated.

Argyl Home Theater - Indefinitely Delayed

My Movie Library - and still growing!

Family Room: Sharp LC-80uq17u + Denon 3808ci + Oppo 93, Speakers: C: Polk CSi-A6, F(L+R): Polk Rti-A7, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: HSU – VTF3-MK4
post #3715 of 3977 Old 08-12-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Same here, Chip. It took 10 minutes to install, but I don't see any changes:

UQ17U Software Update Today
post #3716 of 3977 Old 08-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudae View Post
The Sharp LC 80LE650U can be found for under $2600. But they appear to be 2013 models while the 2014 models start around $2800. That's why I was wondering if thier was a difference.

I was at a Pauls TV yesterday and the Sharp LC 80LE650U picture was pretty much the same as the Sharp LC 80UQ17U. The Sharp LC 80UQ17U was around $5000. Unless you have money to burn the LE650 is a great set for the money. I think I'm going to take the plunng before football season.
they look the same? My guess is the source fed to both sets probably was substandard and/or sets were under torch mode. But with the 80LE650 lacking 3D, that'd be a deal breaker for me, especially on a panel of this size.

Pioneer KURO PDP-5010FD 1080p plasma
Pioneer SC-1523-K Dolby PLIIz +THX 9.2 surround
Sony BDP-S790 bluray player
post #3717 of 3977 Old 08-13-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Anyone else having issues with bright white spots forming on these sets? I just had a LE replaced with a EQ for it and now the EQ is starting to have the same issue! Am I just unlucky or is this a wide spread issue with all these Sharp sets?
post #3718 of 3977 Old 08-13-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

My UQ has clouding when it first comes on, not flashlighting, but a bright spot in the upper left.
The light sensor takes over the backlight and it disappears and I never see it during use.
The very first time the set turned on, it had horrible flashlighting radiating from the top and bottom.
I have never seen that again, fortunately. Some say they get smoother with age, as the diffusion
material behind the screen settles. Is it clouding or flashlighting or actual pixels you're seeing?
post #3719 of 3977 Old 08-13-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
Anyone else having issues with bright white spots forming on these sets? I just had a LE replaced with a EQ for it and now the EQ is starting to have the same issue! Am I just unlucky or is this a wide spread issue with all these Sharp sets?
I was at Sears yesterday and the sales rep asked me the same thing. They had a 60 EQ & SQ and both were exhibiting the white spots or clusters of inactive pixels.
post #3720 of 3977 Old 08-13-2014, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudae View Post

This is what I've been saying all along... $2400 more for what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriS2K View Post
they look the same? My guess is the source fed to both sets probably was substandard and/or sets were under torch mode. But with the 80LE650 lacking 3D, that'd be a deal breaker for me, especially on a panel of this size.
Regardless, $2400 more should "blow" you out of the water in picture differences and it won't.

Theater set-up:  

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
picture , Sharp 80 Inch Le650 Class Aquos Smart Led Tv , Sharp Aquos Quattron 70 Inch Class 3d Tv 2 Pairs Of Active 3d Glassses , Sharp He Lc 70ud1u 70 Inch Aquos 4k Ultra Hd 3d Smart Led Tv , smartcentral
Gear in this thread - Le650 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page