2014 Sharp AQUOS Line-Up - Page 125 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3721 of 4150 Old 08-13-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 87
First I've heard of pixel problems on the Sharp sets...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 4150 Old 08-14-2014, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was again in Pauls TV and they had the Sharp LC 80LE650U next to the Samsung UN75H6350. The thing I like about the Sharp is the size and it has less Glare. However, it also seemed to have a washed out look. The skin tones didn't have the same natural tone. They were much lighter and you couldn't make out lines in the faces of the people. Is this a celebration issue with the Sharp or is the Samsung just a better picture?
post #3723 of 4150 Old 08-14-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudae View Post
I was again in Pauls TV and they had the Sharp LC 80LE650U next to the Samsung UN75H6350. The thing I like about the Sharp is the size and it has less Glare. However, it also seemed to have a washed out look. The skin tones didn't have the same natural tone. They were much lighter and you couldn't make out lines in the faces of the people. Is this a celebration issue with the Sharp or is the Samsung just a better picture?
I found skin tones the most challenging coming from a 47" Samsung to a 60" Sharp. After limited trial and error I'm pleased with the PQ.

Best of luck
post #3724 of 4150 Old 08-14-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Sharps can look good after calibration. They are notoriously difficult, though, due to Quattron...
post #3725 of 4150 Old 08-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just came back from the store - they had a Sony 4k 65X900A (2013 model) beside the 80" UQ. The Sony had amazing natural color and detail. The Sharp seemed overly bright, I'd say due to it being in dynamic mode. Both sets had a demo reel going, one segment had a Bruce Springsteen concert; on the Sharp, his face looked washed out. I wanted to play with the set but the sales guy said he doesn't have the remote.

The Sharp also displayed something weird - on fast moving parts of a scene, the object would become blocky, similar to leaving a trail of broken pixel chunks. On the Sony it was clean. I've seen 2 80" UQs now and both exhibited this anomaly. Is this common for Sharp sets and can it be resolved? I've never seen this before, and I've only owned Pioneer plasma and Sony LCD sets.

Pioneer KURO PDP-5010FD 1080p plasma
Pioneer SC-1523-K Dolby PLIIz +THX 9.2 surround
Sony BDP-S790 bluray player

Last edited by BriS2K; 08-14-2014 at 12:58 PM.
post #3726 of 4150 Old 08-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, did a search and looks like what I see as described above is motion artifacts. Does anyone have motion flow 120/240 turned off and does this fix it?

post #3727 of 4150 Old 08-14-2014, 01:51 PM

Bris2k - That's what I saw as well an overly white color. They also had the Sony where I was and it had a nice picture without the shinny screen. To bad they don't make it in a 75 or 80.

I'm still wondering if you can celebrate out that whitewash on the Sharp.
post #3728 of 4150 Old 08-14-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I think you guys are onto something with the Sharp, though they can be calibrated to behave.
They have pushed their unique quality ever since the advent of Quattron.
They originally used the yellow pixel to broaden the color gamut into deeper cyans and oranges.
When everyone switched to LED backlights, though, the blue became too violet to make a
proper deep aquamarine, so they began pitching the yellow as a way to get more brightness
instead. They combined the overly-intense blue from the LED with yellow to make a very very
bright picture. No one needs so much brightness! But it has become their new uniqueness
with the Quattron. I believe their 4K sets will not offer the yellow pixel any longer and rumor
has it that they are working with Dolby Labs to create a new wide-gamut color palette again.
Personally, I liked my 2 year old Quattron set much better than the UQ17U that they replaced
it with under warranty. The old set was plenty bright and the intense blue could be tamed
with judicious calibration. The new sets are trying far too hard to be the brightest thing this
side of a supernova and it has screwed up the color palette -- fleshtones now tend to be too
yellow and too pale. I had calibrated the old set to have wonderful faces and I cannot yet
repeat that feat with the new set. I can't wait to see what the new 4Ks look like for color.
Meantime, this UQ17U has a dazzling picture and strong colors and crystal clear imaging.
I just wish they had put more into the fleshtone correction circuitry...
BriS2K and jhughy2010 like this.
post #3729 of 4150 Old 08-14-2014, 03:02 PM

Johnfull - What happens when you turn down the brightness. The washout is more than just skin tones it effects the whole color spectrum.
post #3730 of 4150 Old 08-14-2014, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Does anyone know what the update is about.
post #3731 of 4150 Old 08-14-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The Active Contrast should be turned to Advanced and the Light Sensor needs to be On.
The Gamma should be at zero to avoid both washing out and crushing blacks.
Contrast will make more difference than Brightness in the ordinary controls.
I have calibrations posted, as do others, but I'm sure they won't let you do that much tinkering.
Set in Dynamic Fixed (torch!) mode, these TVs overdrive and look awful.
I wish they would eliminate the brightness wars already!
If you can, switch the display model to Film Mode or THX Film Mode to see a better out-of-
the-box picture. Those need refinement, too, but not nearly so much as some of the others...
BriS2K likes this.
post #3732 of 4150 Old 08-14-2014, 08:45 PM

Thanks I'll see if they can switch it to Film Mode.
post #3733 of 4150 Old 08-15-2014, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Oops! I meant Movie mode or THX Movie mode -- the Film Mode is a motion setting.
Sorry 'bout that!
post #3734 of 4150 Old 08-15-2014, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sides View Post
I lurk here a lot, don't post much, and I recently picked up a 70UQ17U.
The TV is great, and I have no complaints, but I have a question about the screen. The mat surface on the panel is wavy where it meets the bezel around the screen. It's hard to describe, so I took the pic to give you an idea. It doesn't affect the picture when the TVs on, and really the only time you notice it is when the screen is off and you look at the reflection.

So my question is; is this normal, or is this something I should be concerned about?
not sure if you got a response to this yet, but I did notice this on the 80" UQ in store. With the tv on demo reel, I could only see it on an off angle with the light reflections. It is rather odd though, perhaps they need to extend the bezel width out a bit more to hide it....

post #3735 of 4150 Old 08-15-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

My 70" is a bit wavy -- the 2 year old one it replaced wasn't nearly so much.
That said, it is not a distraction at all while being watched.
Maybe they threw in the new art exhibition feature so you wouldn't have to notice it...
post #3736 of 4150 Old 08-17-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
Anyone else having issues with bright white spots forming on these sets? I just had a LE replaced with a EQ for it and now the EQ is starting to have the same issue! Am I just unlucky or is this a wide spread issue with all these Sharp sets?
Brian6751, I just noticed tonight that my 70" SQ has some white spots appearing too. I have about 4 or 5 of them that popped up in the last few weeks. They are only visible on very white screens and don't seem to affect anything else. It isn't a dead pixel since it is fine on non white screens. Strange. I may have to make a service call. I"ve had the TV for about 3 months. I"ll try and take a photo in a day or so and post it too.
post #3737 of 4150 Old 08-18-2014, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen33 View Post
Brian6751, I just noticed tonight that my 70" SQ has some white spots appearing too. I have about 4 or 5 of them that popped up in the last few weeks. They are only visible on very white screens and don't seem to affect anything else. It isn't a dead pixel since it is fine on non white screens. Strange. I may have to make a service call. I"ve had the TV for about 3 months. I"ll try and take a photo in a day or so and post it too.

That's the issue I'm talking about. No it's not pixels. I read somewhere that it seems to be a problem with some kind of coating that diffuses the led light or something. They will have you take some pictures and email them. Then they will replace the set. So now I have heard of it on the LE, EQ, and SQ
post #3738 of 4150 Old 08-18-2014, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
That's the issue I'm talking about. No it's not pixels. I read somewhere that it seems to be a problem with some kind of coating that diffuses the led light or something. They will have you take some pictures and email them. Then they will replace the set. So now I have heard of it on the LE, EQ, and SQ
Pics please - supposedly there's a delicate massaging technique to eliminate flashing or blobs - I've never tried it but read from several users on avs that it worked (on their Sony sets)...could be worth a try if you're confident but obviously using great care to avoid potentially damaging the surface of the panel from the rubbing

post #3739 of 4150 Old 08-18-2014, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post
My 70" is a bit wavy -- the 2 year old one it replaced wasn't nearly so much.
That said, it is not a distraction at all while being watched.
Maybe they threw in the new art exhibition feature so you wouldn't have to notice it...
Interesting - curious does your older set have a semi-matte screen? Perhaps the waviness is on all large lcd sets/brands, just less noticeable due to bezel size/glass/coatings etc. My first impression when noticing it on the 80" UQ was it looked like pressure points from the bezel screws as the waviness was in equal increments. I didn't even bother looking for it on the neighboring 70/60" sets.

I'll have to go back to the store and look again. As well on the Sony W or X850B series, ideally the 70" model if I can find it a local b&m.

post #3740 of 4150 Old 08-18-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

The old set had the same semi-matte finish. The bezel was thicker on it -- very thin for its
time 2 years ago, but the new one is thinner still and that is part of the problem, I think.
There is simply less room for error when mounting screws have less width to spread their torque.
I do like the overall look of the new one much better -- the old was solid black, with mitered
corners where the new one has a nickel finish top and bottom that is very nice.
I'd go by the picture quality on the sets, though, rather than the appearance turned off.
The UQ17U has a dazzlingly bright picture and a great system of controlling overall contrast.
Where the old set kind of pumped the backlight up and down, depending on content and
room brightness, the new one anticipates (could be why it takes longer to boot) and the
change is really seamless. I like it much better in that regard. Fleshtones, not so much...
post #3741 of 4150 Old 08-18-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriS2K View Post
I just came back from the store - they had a Sony 4k 65X900A (2013 model) beside the 80" UQ. The Sony had amazing natural color and detail. The Sharp seemed overly bright, I'd say due to it being in dynamic mode. Both sets had a demo reel going, one segment had a Bruce Springsteen concert; on the Sharp, his face looked washed out. I wanted to play with the set but the sales guy said he doesn't have the remote.

The Sharp also displayed something weird - on fast moving parts of a scene, the object would become blocky, similar to leaving a trail of broken pixel chunks. On the Sony it was clean. I've seen 2 80" UQs now and both exhibited this anomaly. Is this common for Sharp sets and can it be resolved? I've never seen this before, and I've only owned Pioneer plasma and Sony LCD sets.
What size of TV are you looking for?

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #3742 of 4150 Old 08-18-2014, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

I can accommodate a panel up to 90" as anything larger would look ridiculous in the family room All panels I've found over 80" have a hefty premium and so the Sharp 80UQ is my top choice.

I had also considered the Sony 79X900B but ultimately don't want the side speakers and pay the premium for 4k yet (probably not until popular hollywood films make it onto 4k disc and then let the double dipping ride begin...)

post #3743 of 4150 Old 08-18-2014, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post
I think you guys are onto something with the Sharp, though they can be calibrated to behave.
They have pushed their unique quality ever since the advent of Quattron.
They originally used the yellow pixel to broaden the color gamut into deeper cyans and oranges.
When everyone switched to LED backlights, though, the blue became too violet to make a
proper deep aquamarine, so they began pitching the yellow as a way to get more brightness
instead. They combined the overly-intense blue from the LED with yellow to make a very very
bright picture. No one needs so much brightness! But it has become their new uniqueness
with the Quattron. I believe their 4K sets will not offer the yellow pixel any longer and rumor
has it that they are working with Dolby Labs to create a new wide-gamut color palette again.
Personally, I liked my 2 year old Quattron set much better than the UQ17U that they replaced
it with under warranty. The old set was plenty bright and the intense blue could be tamed
with judicious calibration. The new sets are trying far too hard to be the brightest thing this
side of a supernova and it has screwed up the color palette -- fleshtones now tend to be too
yellow and too pale. I had calibrated the old set to have wonderful faces and I cannot yet
repeat that feat with the new set. I can't wait to see what the new 4Ks look like for color.
Meantime, this UQ17U has a dazzling picture and strong colors and crystal clear imaging.
I just wish they had put more into the fleshtone correction circuitry...
Great post... I hear ya about the overly bright fad panel makers are pushing for. Something that I've experimented around with is setting the backlight sensor to +16/-16. I've found that I am able to really experience the deep blacks that I was missing out on previously. So far I'm pretty satisfied with this new setting especially at night when I'm watching a movie "theater" style. Also, I turned the brightness down to -1 (-3 is what the WOW disc wanted me to do) and the contrast is at +33. This is all movie mode as I'm using rlindo's 10 point settings.

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
post #3744 of 4150 Old 08-19-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Does your SQ model have a slight flicker on slowly panning still images?
The UQ is touted to have a unique 'contrast engine' that constantly adjusts to input.
I'm thinking it is the source of hyperactive adjustments that I notice, but try to ignore.
There is no way to shut it off, so I'll just live with it.
If the SQ model has the same habit, it would mean it's something else -- like the Active Contrast,
which can be shut off. I have that feature turned on to avoid the occasional washed-out images.
post #3745 of 4150 Old 08-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Johnfull, is that flicker during wallpaper mode? if so perhaps its due to the bare min resource usage for energy savings...

post #3746 of 4150 Old 08-19-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

No, it goes on constantly -- it's just more noticeable when there is a still image that is panning
or enlarging or whatever. The 'contrast engine' is just a little too hyper, making very fine
adjustments to the backlight and brightness and contrast -- very subtle, but there if you
know what you're looking for. It makes it seem, like you say, like a sputtering of the light in
need of a bit more juice. It's really ok if it is making a large diffference -- that 10 million to one
contrast ratio has to come from somewhere. I just wondered if the SQ did it, too, or if it really
was the unique feature of the UQ at work. A still image is completely stable and a normal scene
with objects in motion is stable. It's those in-between stills that are moving slowly enough to
see the background brightness subtly shifting as different kinds of objects come into view...
post #3747 of 4150 Old 08-19-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriS2K View Post
I can accommodate a panel up to 90" as anything larger would look ridiculous in the family room All panels I've found over 80" have a hefty premium and so the Sharp 80UQ is my top choice. I had also considered the Sony 79X900B but ultimately don't want the side speakers and pay the premium for 4k yet (probably not until popular hollywood films make it onto 4k disc and then let the double dipping ride begin...)
That is why the Sharps are still a good buy........
post #3748 of 4150 Old 08-19-2014, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think I asked this before but here goes. Is the power cord hard wired on the LC80UQ17U (not a deal breaker just curious). Is the screen semi-matte? I am pulling the trigger tomorrow with Cleveand Plasma. These answers are not going to break any deal for me I am just curious. Sorry if I asked before.
post #3749 of 4150 Old 08-19-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

The screen is semi-matte.
The power cord looks like it may be detatchable, but I am not 100% positive.
It dissappears into a removeable panel and if you reach inside, it feels like the ridges of a grip
that would let you unplug it at the TV. Maybe Cleveland Plasma would know for sure...
post #3750 of 4150 Old 08-19-2014, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

What are the odds that the LC-70UQ17U is still on sale at Microcenter for that price? I have one over by my work and that price/size is amazing. I just bought a Sony XBR65X850B for about double of what that Microcenter price was. I would have grabbed the 70", but another $2,000 for 5" wasn't worth it to me. If this set is as good/better as the Sony mentioned, then I'm in, plus I get the 5" too! The space I have is 63.5" and it looks like this will come in just under that.

Also, does this have any noticeable lag for gaming? I will be hooking up a Xbox One, PS4 and Wii U to it. I had a Samsung UHD on my list, but heard the lag was terrible.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
picture , Sharp 80 Inch Le650 Class Aquos Smart Led Tv , Sharp Aquos Quattron 70 Inch Class 3d Tv 2 Pairs Of Active 3d Glassses , Sharp He Lc 70ud1u 70 Inch Aquos 4k Ultra Hd 3d Smart Led Tv , smartcentral
Gear in this thread - Le650 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page