post #3751 of 3769 Old 08-19-2014, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post
Does your SQ model have a slight flicker on slowly panning still images?
The UQ is touted to have a unique 'contrast engine' that constantly adjusts to input.
I'm thinking it is the source of hyperactive adjustments that I notice, but try to ignore.
There is no way to shut it off, so I'll just live with it.
If the SQ model has the same habit, it would mean it's something else -- like the Active Contrast,
which can be shut off. I have that feature turned on to avoid the occasional washed-out images.
I'm not sure... I haven't noticed any flicker. I used to notice stutter due to frame rate mismatching (I think).

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 3769 Old Yesterday, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 61
It may be strictly a UQ phenomenon, then. Thanks.
post #3753 of 3769 Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ordered the LC80UQ17U today. Super excited. Awesome deals at Cleveland Plasma.
post #3754 of 3769 Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Welcome!

These calibrations, done with the disc from this site, might help to get you started:

Sharp UQ17U Calibrations

Several other folks have settings, too, including several that used the disc plus a gauge.
Mine are done and re-done by eye till I got them the way I like them, especially skin tones.
Let us know how you like the new set!
post #3755 of 3769 Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Welcome!

These calibrations, done with the disc from this site, might help to get you started:

Sharp UQ17U Calibrations

Several other folks have settings, too, including several that used the disc plus a gauge.
Mine are done and re-done by eye till I got them the way I like them, especially skin tones.
Let us know how you like the new set!
Many thanks! I will definitely use them. I am picky aobut skin tones.
post #3756 of 3769 Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone tried any 4k sources going into these tvs yet?

Will these TVs be updated to HDMI 2.0 if they are needed to be?

I have a LC-70SQ15U and I'm disappointed to read in the manual that:
-4k input on hdmi 1 only
-ARC output on hdmi 3 only

So we can't use the tv in a sensible manner with a receiver.

I'm looking forward to being able to buy a device that streams Netflix 4k. Does one exist?
post #3757 of 3769 Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post

-4k input on hdmi 1 only

I'm looking forward to being able to buy a device that streams Netflix 4k. Does one exist?
Native 4k will look good but upscaled probably will not.

Right now there are no devices to stream Netflix 4k outside of a few tvs: brands such as Samsung, Vizio and Sony. Currently there are only two HDMI 2.0 receivers - Onkyo and Pioneer. I hope that next year will bring players that can stream 4k. Netflix has deals with these TV companies exclusively. I imagine it is to sell 4k tvs since there is almost zero 4k content.
post #3758 of 3769 Old Today, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

-4k input on hdmi 1 only

These sets will not support HDMI 2.0 or HDCP 2.2

Yes, it is quite common that only a few HDMI inputs on all "effective 4k" and "native 4k" sets only have one or two HDMI inputs that will support 4k (whether 30hz or 60hz). Having an HDMI input that supports 4k/30 and ARC would require that input to support a higher specification (more bandwidth) hence the reason why Sharp opted to keep them separate (costs).

The only devices that will support Netflix 4k ATM (due to HEVC encode/decode) are built in players on some newer 4k TV's (Samsung HU8550).

Needless to say these TV's (SQ and UQ) are only effective 4k TV's and since they aren't native 4k TV's it makes little difference if the input is 4k or 1080p it is GOING TO LOOK THE SAME. I know this has been the most controversial statement in this thread but it is the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsteagal100 View Post
Native 4k will look good but upscaled probably will not.

Right now there are no devices to stream Netflix 4k outside of a few tvs: brands such as Samsung, Vizio and Sony. Currently there are only two HDMI 2.0 receivers - Onkyo and Pioneer. I hope that next year will bring players that can stream 4k. Netflix has deals with these TV companies exclusively. I imagine it is to sell 4k tvs since there is almost zero 4k content.
Vizio is not quite there yet. Perhaps we'll see their P series on the shelves in the coming weeks. I wish I would have held out for one of them.

Yes, Pioneer and Onkyo have their HDMI 2.0 receivers out. Only Onkyo is HDCP 2.2 so one would have to determine if that specification is worth it... in my opinion it is... Also, Denon has their full line of HDMI 2.0 receivers out as well. They are, however, not HDCP 2.2 compliant.

Theater set-up:  

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

post #3759 of 3769 Old Today, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
These sets will not support HDMI 2.0 or HDCP 2.2

Yes, it is quite common that only a few HDMI inputs on all "effective 4k" and "native 4k" sets only have one or two HDMI inputs that will support 4k (whether 30hz or 60hz). Having an HDMI input that supports 4k/30 and ARC would require that input to support a higher specification (more bandwidth) hence the reason why Sharp opted to keep them separate (costs).

The only devices that will support Netflix 4k ATM (due to HEVC encode/decode) are built in players on some newer 4k TV's (Samsung HU8550).

Needless to say these TV's (SQ and UQ) are only effective 4k TV's and since they aren't native 4k TV's it makes little difference if the input is 4k or 1080p it is GOING TO LOOK THE SAME. I know this has been the most controversial statement in this thread but it is the truth.

Yes, Pioneer and Onkyo have their HDMI 2.0 receivers out. Only Onkyo is HDCP 2.2 so one would have to determine if that specification is worth it... in my opinion it is... Also, Denon has their full line of HDMI 2.0 receivers out as well. They are, however, not HDCP 2.2 compliant.
Thanks for the info. I'm interested if the tv does look better with 4k sources, if it doesn't, it doesn't.

The manual for the LC-70SQ15U says it supports 4k input on hdmi 1 with hdcp 2.2
I'm sure why HDCP is spelled out here in the specs, is it needed for 4K video now?

I found the Netflix page that lists the tv they support. https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

I just got a Sony STR-DH550 which says it has HDMI 2.0 switching and 4K pass through, seems as though it has a reduced 4k set though.
I got it to test a Sony receiver out and as a stop gap until the 4k issues has settled with tv/receiver/player, and to use for ARC with this tv.
post #3760 of 3769 Old Today, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Either I got a good one or my eyes are not as good as you guys. My 70SQ15U looked horrible out of the box but with a few simple tweaks and tips I read here the picture is stunning. No flicker, no waves, no light leakage, good white and black, good flesh tones (took a little work) overall I am very happy with the set. After the firmware update that popped up as soon as I connected the set to my network it would no longer connect to the internet at all and the would not recognize the cable box at all either. I did call the support line and they walked me through a hard reset and it works perfect now.
post #3761 of 3769 Old Today, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Good to hear satisfaction!
I used my USER settings for months till I tried a new approach this morning.
Knowing that these sets shine with high light output, I opted to modify the DYNAMIC mode.
I tried the High temperature, but the white was too green and couldn't be modified, so
I went down one notch to Medium High and bingo! It was a bit pink, so I cut the Hi Red
just enough to clean up the white and it looks super! I used the calibration disc to get the
black & white within range -- both were extremely close to the mark. Then just some cleanup
in the CMS to bring forth the Cyan as much as possible and warming of the harsh Blue,
removing the green tinge from the Yellow, and making the Green a little less charteurse.
The fleshtones are a major improvement -- more color can be used without distortion.
I think I have a new winner over the softer USER setting:

Sharp UQ17U Calibrations
post #3762 of 3769 Old Today, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm interested if the tv does look better with 4k sources, if it doesn't, it doesn't.
It doesn't. I downloaded tears of steel which is a true 4k video and played it back on three TVs using my Macbook pro as the source

My sharp sq15u, my brothers 60 inch vizio M series, and my 55 inch LG 8500 4k tv.

The best picture quality in order from best to worst (with 4k)
1. The LG, you could really see the detail in the main characters stubble
2. The vizio- best black levels of the bunch
3. The Sharp- a distant 3rd overall

To address the naysayers, the Macbook pro did sense the Sharp as a 4k display and output appropriately as it also did with the LG. The macbook saw the Vizio as a 1080p display.

Long story short, the sold called pseudo 4k is pure marketing BS the same way as the first time they marketed the quattron enhanced color gamut.

I have the sq15u and its a decent 1080 p class tv, albeit an overpriced one. If you buying expecting anything more, as i did, you will be disappointed.

And before you think i'm just jaded because of the LG, 4k content is the only area where the LG is a superior TV. For example with SD content, it looks terrible
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #3763 of 3769 Old Today, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Very interesting comparisons and the last bit about versatility is key.
I've had the 70" UQ17U for several months now and my primary concern is
how bad the signals are compressed before sending, during editing, because
of lousy cameras, etc. HD video from YouTube looks excellent and with only
a second or two of buffering, so why can't satellite and especially cable companies
deliver a better HD product? So now we have to expect 4K to look better than
they have managed to get HD to look? I don't think so. My 70" Q+ looks great
from the appropriate viewing distance if the source is decent. I doubt that I would
see the difference between its upscale and true 4K, but I DO see the difference
from one content source to another. HDTV can look very very good on a 70" set.
Most of the time it's garbage still. One step forward and two steps back.
I wonder how many people are jumping at 4K only because their HD cable looks like poo?
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #3764 of 3769 Old Today, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The manual for the LC-70SQ15U says it supports 4k input on hdmi 1 with hdcp 2.2
I'm sure why HDCP is spelled out here in the specs, is it needed for 4K video now?

I found the Netflix page that lists the tv they support. https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

I just got a Sony STR-DH550 which says it has HDMI 2.0 switching and 4K pass through, seems as though it has a reduced 4k set though.
I got it to test a Sony receiver out and as a stop gap until the 4k issues has settled with tv/receiver/player, and to use for ARC with this tv.
HDCP 2.2 is not needed now. I'm guessing a few years before it becomes a imperative feature.

The Sharp SmartCentral Netflix app works fine on these TV's. It is not going to receive a 4k signal though. As stated, HEVC will be required at this point for proper 4k dissemination. Only a few devices will be able to support HEVC as it is a relatively new codec and in its infancy still.

Lastly, there is no point (IMO) to have a 4k device, AVR, delivery mechanism (streaming box) due to the fact that these TVs are not 4k.

Quote:
Good to hear satisfaction!
I used my USER settings for months till I tried a new approach this morning.
Knowing that these sets shine with high light output, I opted to modify the DYNAMIC mode.
I tried the High temperature, but the white was too green and couldn't be modified, so
I went down one notch to Medium High and bingo! It was a bit pink, so I cut the Hi Red
just enough to clean up the white and it looks super! I used the calibration disc to get the
black & white within range -- both were extremely close to the mark. Then just some cleanup
in the CMS to bring forth the Cyan as much as possible and warming of the harsh Blue,
removing the green tinge from the Yellow, and making the Green a little less charteurse.
The fleshtones are a major improvement -- more color can be used without distortion.
I think I have a new winner over the softer USER setting:

Sharp UQ17U Calibrations
Wow that has to be a "overly" saturated picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcompguy View Post
It doesn't. I downloaded tears of steel which is a true 4k video and played it back on three TVs using my Macbook pro as the source

My sharp sq15u, my brothers 60 inch vizio M series, and my 55 inch LG 8500 4k tv.

The best picture quality in order from best to worst (with 4k)
1. The LG, you could really see the detail in the main characters stubble
2. The vizio- best black levels of the bunch
3. The Sharp- a distant 3rd overall

To address the naysayers, the Macbook pro did sense the Sharp as a 4k display and output appropriately as it also did with the LG. The macbook saw the Vizio as a 1080p display.

Long story short, the sold called pseudo 4k is pure marketing BS the same way as the first time they marketed the quattron enhanced color gamut.

I have the sq15u and its a decent 1080 p class tv, albeit an overpriced one. If you buying expecting anything more, as i did, you will be disappointed.

And before you think i'm just jaded because of the LG, 4k content is the only area where the LG is a superior TV. For example with SD content, it looks terrible
This is precisely what I've been preaching for the past several months... have been met with much resistance... and am will to bet my non-4k SQ on it... LOL!

Seriously though, I think the SQ looks terrible with 4k. The same file in 1080p looks much better. My HTPC recognized its 4k "support". I tried it with several videos and not to my surprise it looked horrible due to the extra large pixels of the set compared to an actual 4k TV. I was recently at Sears and sat in front of the HU8550 and marveled at the 4k video feed. I looked like a tool because I was standing about one foot away drewling at how small the pixels were. They are sooo tiny The SQ and UQ were not too far away... the images were nice, however, the pixels were noticeable from several feet away, let alone one foot away. Needless to say, the SQ is a 1080p set and as stated an overpriced 1080p set. I wish I would have bought the VIZIO M652i-B2 65-Inch.

Theater set-up:  

post #3765 of 3769 Old Today, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Very interesting comparisons and the last bit about versatility is key.
I've had the 70" UQ17U for several months now and my primary concern is
how bad the signals are compressed before sending, during editing, because
of lousy cameras, etc. HD video from YouTube looks excellent and with only
a second or two of buffering, so why can't satellite and especially cable companies
deliver a better HD product? So now we have to expect 4K to look better than
they have managed to get HD to look? I don't think so. My 70" Q+ looks great
from the appropriate viewing distance if the source is decent. I doubt that I would
see the difference between its upscale and true 4K, but I DO see the difference
from one content source to another. HDTV can look very very good on a 70" set.
Most of the time it's garbage still. One step forward and two steps back.
I wonder how many people are jumping at 4K only because their HD cable looks like poo?
Yes I agree. Cable companies and the like are still delivering mostly 720p it seems. Some have adopted 1080i and even fewer have made the leap to 1080p. The only reason why I would buy a 4k TV right now is to drewl over the few 4k videos that are out there. It would serve no other purpose for me... I cannot play video games fluidly on them (No GPU's have an HDMI 2.0 output yet) and their are not many movies that I would watch on a continuous basis at 4k. Granted, their are a few TV shows on Netflix... but that alone wasn't enough to justify the price premium.

Theater set-up:  

post #3766 of 3769 Old Today, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

To me, the 4K screens look just like my computer screen, with pixels of about the same size
and a dynamic range about as anemic. HD is delivering brighter and higher contrast pictures
with better motion control because any technology 4K can employ, HD can use better.
Smaller pixels require more light to drive the same brightness and much more computing power
to drive the same motion. Even with 3D, I don't see any pixels of my 70" at normal viewing
distance. I have set in front of my computer screen and marveled at its detail, but I would
rather watch a movie on the TV because it does more with dynamic range and motion control.
I'm not saying that 4K won't catch up -- it's still native 120 where HD is now 240 -- but it's not
there yet in affordable form. There are things in the world I regret, but HDTV is not one of
them. Sorry if you paid too much for the Quattron, though. Watching prices fall so fast after
a product's introduction is a bummer. I paid $3,000 2 years ago for a lesser Quattron and
only got the UQ17U as a warranty replacement and that $3000 is STILL more than it's worth now!
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #3767 of 3769 Old Today, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
To me, the 4K screens look just like my computer screen, with pixels of about the same size
and a dynamic range about as anemic. HD is delivering brighter and higher contrast pictures
with better motion control because any technology 4K can employ, HD can use better.
Smaller pixels require more light to drive the same brightness and much more computing power
to drive the same motion. Even with 3D, I don't see any pixels of my 70" at normal viewing
distance. I have set in front of my computer screen and marveled at its detail, but I would
rather watch a movie on the TV because it does more with dynamic range and motion control.
I'm not saying that 4K won't catch up -- it's still native 120 where HD is now 240 -- but it's not
there yet in affordable form. There are things in the world I regret, but HDTV is not one of
them. Sorry if you paid too much for the Quattron, though. Watching prices fall so fast after
a product's introduction is a bummer. I paid $3,000 2 years ago for a lesser Quattron and
only got the UQ17U as a warranty replacement and that $3000 is STILL more than it's worth now!

I agree... 4k is not quite "there" yet but for those that can afford (trust me I would if I could) I cannot knock for being an early adopter. In fact, I think that the Samsung HU8550 at $1000 off MSRP is a pretty good bargain over its 1080p counterpart. Furthermore the Vizio P series might be an even better bargain (cannot wait to read some reviews on it).

I actually lucked out and got the SQ at $1499 (bargain price).

Theater set-up:  

post #3768 of 3769 Old Today, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

That IS a bargain! I would rather see progress in getting wider gamut color at this point.
Sharp is promising it (yet again!) with their Spectros next year. I can't get any details as to
what they mean by 21% more of the color spectrum. If it's more of the yellow, forget it!
They have licked the problem with backlight bleed, I think, with their latest contrast engine
that synchronizes perfectly with room lighting AND content to deliver blacks and highlights
that are convincingly rendered. My biggest sorrow is the lack of a rich Cyan with the present
crop of LED lighting. The Red is better than 2 years ago by a wide margin, but Cyan is still weak.
Sony is using some prismatic technique to broaden the spectrum, but if they are using the same
LEDs with a deficiency in the warm blue, cool green region, then they have the same problem.
RGB backlights had far worse problems and the CCFLs will never return, unfortunately.
I wouldn't mind a projector bulb back there for a cleaner spectrum, but the fan noise would
drive me crazy. I wonder who chooses the technologies to pursue? How many people even
have a wall big enough for the screen size that 4K would actually be useful for?...
post #3769 of 3769 Old Today, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stogie View Post
Either I got a good one or my eyes are not as good as you guys. My 70SQ15U looked horrible out of the box but with a few simple tweaks and tips I read here the picture is stunning. No flicker, no waves, no light leakage, good white and black, good flesh tones (took a little work) overall I am very happy with the set. After the firmware update that popped up as soon as I connected the set to my network it would no longer connect to the internet at all and the would not recognize the cable box at all either. I did call the support line and they walked me through a hard reset and it works perfect now.
Don't fight it, that is great news
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
picture , Sharp 80 Inch Le650 Class Aquos Smart Led Tv , Sharp Aquos Quattron 70 Inch Class 3d Tv 2 Pairs Of Active 3d Glassses , Sharp He Lc 70ud1u 70 Inch Aquos 4k Ultra Hd 3d Smart Led Tv , smartcentral
Gear in this thread - Le650 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page