2014 Sharp AQUOS Line-Up - Page 129 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3841 of 3868 Old 09-03-2014, 02:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 68
The enhancements are for things unrelated to the native 240 panel speed.
The Film Mode interpolates between frames of film-based media to give video-like smoothness.
The Aquomotion and other motion enhancements change the backlight strobing characteristics.
The switch to LED lighting source brought with it the strobing effect, for better and for worse.
It can be used, in conjunction with the panel refresh or it can add its own artifacts.
The viewing angle of the UQ17U is not great, but sitting on a 6' sofa at 10 feet is no problem.
The viewing angle is no better than a 2 year old LC series Quattron that this one replaced in June.
The resolution enhancement is very good and acts according to source material to wring out detail.
The global dimming of the backlight, along with the light sensor, makes for high contrast viewing.
The yellow pixel of the Quattron makes a very bright picture possible, thanks to the LED source.
It also introduces some yellow artifacts to the image that have to be carefully calibrated out.
I've come to respect and admire this top-of-the-line replacement for my older set...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 3868 Old 09-03-2014, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Johnfull I've read through this whole thread paying particular attention to your posts. You obviously know what your doing. I'm currently on your user settings and the picture is fantastic. I haven't changed any cms values because because I'm satisfied maybe scared to change them. lol What improvement would I see changing the cms values? There all set to 0. Also I seen in your other thread that you now have calibration settings for dynamic mode. Which do you prefer? If I use your calibration settings in dynamic mode will it change my user settings? I know I can do the factory reset but don't want to bother with it. I've already spent 2 hours on the Spears and Munsil calibration disc. Wife is already telling me to stop the screwing around the pq is excellent. Any thoughts/replies would be much appreciated. By the way I have the 60sq15u.
post #3843 of 3868 Old 09-04-2014, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

Glad you and your wife like the setting!
You can input the Dynamic setting without changing the User setting.
Just change the Picture Quality Setting at the top of the Video menu to Dynamic
and go from there. I really prefer the Dynamic setting now. The only change I
might make to it will be to reduce the upper limit to the Light Sensor adjustment.
In a very bright viewing environment, some images (faces, mostly) get a bit shiny,
like there is too much light on them. I will post the change if I decide to make it.
As for CMS settings, each color acts very differently with that system.
The original changes were based off the calibration disc values, to bring the top
end into alignment -- red and magenta particularly tend to 'clip' and lose detail
when turned up too high. The Dynamic setting is very saturated by design, so I
worked the colors just to the point of balance and no more. Magenta is still
showing a tendency to glow blue in strong light, so a bit more tinkering might be
in order. It will be your personal preference between the settings. User is much
easier on the eyes than Dynamic, which takes a few seconds to get used to.
All the settings are independent of each other, so no fear of losing any...
post #3844 of 3868 Old 09-04-2014, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Johnfull,

I just recently bought a 80uq17u, and have tested both your user and dynamic setup, and I think I personally prefer the user settings. The picture looks much better than the lackluster out-of-the-box settings (thanks for all your effort). The only issue I am seeing is that greens look a bit off. I watch alot college football and the grass just looks a unnaturally greenish/yellow. Are you seeing the same thing on your end or is it just a case of my panel/set being slightly different than yours?

I plan to purchase some form of calibration kit, but in the interim I figured I would run it by you.
post #3845 of 3868 Old 09-04-2014, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

The greens are weird, for sure. You can try adjusting the CMS settings -- turn down
the Saturation or the brightness (Value) or push the Hue further towards blue.
I haven't seen an LCD TV that makes the nice true green of a plasma.
The different colors respond differently to changes in the CMS settings.
Good luck!

Last edited by johnfull; 09-04-2014 at 10:29 AM.
post #3846 of 3868 Old 09-04-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post
Glad you and your wife like the setting!
You can input the Dynamic setting without changing the User setting.
Just change the Picture Quality Setting at the top of the Video menu to Dynamic
and go from there. I really prefer the Dynamic setting now. The only change I
might make to it will be to reduce the upper limit to the Light Sensor adjustment.
In a very bright viewing environment, some images (faces, mostly) get a bit shiny,
like there is too much light on them. I will post the change if I decide to make it.
As for CMS settings, each color acts very differently with that system.
The original changes were based off the calibration disc values, to bring the top
end into alignment -- red and magenta particularly tend to 'clip' and lose detail
when turned up too high. The Dynamic setting is very saturated by design, so I
worked the colors just to the point of balance and no more. Magenta is still
showing a tendency to glow blue in strong light, so a bit more tinkering might be
in order. It will be your personal preference between the settings. User is much
easier on the eyes than Dynamic, which takes a few seconds to get used to.
All the settings are independent of each other, so no fear of losing any...

Thanks Johnfull. I think I will try your "full blown" dynamic settings.
post #3847 of 3868 Old 09-04-2014, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have a question that is off topic but I was wondering what brand of HDMI cables you use? I just had a HDMI cable go bad where I thought it was an issue with the SHARP but thankfully not..cable instead was the culprit.

Army Rangers lead the way!

Pioneer SC-1523K, Sony BDP-S6200, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #3848 of 3868 Old 09-05-2014, 01:34 AM

Liked: 0
Greetings this is my first post. Just ordered a LC-60TQ15U and wanted to get any input about my recent purchase. I have always owned Samsung or Panasonic; this is my first Sharp. There is no information in the web about this tv. Any reviews or input are much appreciated.
post #3849 of 3868 Old 09-05-2014, 01:53 AM
Advanced Member

Congratulations on the TQ purchase!
Like all Quattron sets, it is capable of a great picture with a little bit of adjustment.
I have a list of different settings that others have enjoyed as well that you can start with.
Although my settings were made on a UQ, they have been found compatible with your model.
I recommend the User and the Dynamic settings to start with.
Let us know how you like the set!

Sharp UQ17U Calibrations

post #3850 of 3868 Old 09-05-2014, 05:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post
I have a question that is off topic but I was wondering what brand of HDMI cables you use? I just had a HDMI cable go bad where I thought it was an issue with the SHARP but thankfully not..cable instead was the culprit.
Monoprice or Blue Jeans cables, both of whom are sponsor's of AVS.

From being on here, I have bought monoproce cables. $30ish for 6 delivered, or there abouts.

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #3851 of 3868 Old 09-05-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 585
I do not think many people could tell the difference from a $100 HDMI cable to a $10 cable.......
356c likes this.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #3852 of 3868 Old 09-05-2014, 08:46 PM

LC-70SQ15U vs LC-70UQ17U

I am replacing LC-70LE650U under warranty and am trying to decide between the 70SQ15U and the 70UQ17U and need some help. I understand that the UQ comes with 3D glasses, is THX certified, has higher dynamic contrast, and may have a different bezel and better speakers, but is there enough of a difference to justify the additional $400 in price over the SQ? I am a medium-core user, and this will be in my living room, but not a real theater environment. It will be our every day TV with Blu-Ray, dvd, PS3, Xbox, Roku, U-verse, older higher end receiver and other devices will be attached to it.

I don't really care too much about 3D, and the glasses are only $35 each anyway. Do the THX and contrast really make the UQ that much better than the SQ? I enjoy a great picture, but I am not one to spend ours tweaking the living heck out of it. If, when set up properly, the UQ has a superior picture, I will go that route.

I hope that gives enough background about my viewing preferences, any and all help would be greatly appreciated. UQ or SQ, that is the question!!

Thanks all!
Febtober
post #3853 of 3868 Old 09-06-2014, 02:58 AM
Advanced Member

I had a 70LE845U that was replaced with the 70" UQ17U in June under warranty.
The contrast and image detail are superior on the UQ, and the backlight control is better.
It was much more difficult to get fleshtones correct with the new set, however.
Overall, it is a better set, with amazing brightness and shadow detail.
Since it was a warranty replacement, I won't complain. I didn't have to pay a premium
for the upgrade. It's hard to say how much better it is than the SQ, except that they are
basically very similar, as was the 2 year old set that was replaced...
post #3854 of 3868 Old 09-09-2014, 02:13 PM

Hello All,

Just purchased a LC-70UQ17 and used the settings suggested. Great picture!. Thanks to all who have shared settings. My question is what type of off axis fall off do other users see? If I am about 45 degrees off center, the picture starts looking washed out to the blue side. Is this normal? I don't remember seeing this in the store and am wondering if I should bring this to their attention? 90% of our viewing is straight on but as I walk by, this shift catches my eye.

Any ideas. Great Thread. I appreciate all the good information.
post #3855 of 3868 Old 09-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

The off-angle is typical of the new Sharps as well as the older ones.
I'm told that the type of panel they use makes better contrast and is faster,
but the tradeoff is limited angle of view. My 70" UQ is next to a doorway, so
going out of the room with the set on lets you see the image wash out as you go.
It is exactly the same characteristic as the 2 year old one that it replaced on warranty.
Glad you found some settings -- these things are mess straight out of the box...
post #3856 of 3868 Old 09-11-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Everyone,

I've been sifting through this thread repeatedly, hoping to find recommended "calibration" settings for the Sharp Aquos LC-60SQ15U, as I recently procured this set from BestBuy. This was an insurance replacement to my 2012 Panasonic 55UT50. I do realize the new Sharp is not a plasma, but of all the available "comparable" sets in the store (price being a major factor), the Sharp 60SQ produced what I thought to be the best picture in terms of contrast, color, deep blacks, smoothness, and connectivity/features, etc.

I really do miss the Panasonic, as it was my first plasma and its image and inky blacks were gorgeous, but it suffered the dreaded 8-blinks board error in only 2 years of moderate home use, and they have since discontinued them. A repair wasn't even possible (we waited on the part for nearly 60 days, repeatedly rescheduling GeekSquad appointments before they finally admitted it was never going to come).

At any rate, the Sharp 60SQ15U has been delivered to my house, and the image (color, contrast, clarity, black levels, etc) is all quite worse looking than the in-store demo setup, though admittedly still pretty decent as compared to most TV's.

I've noticed many posts in this thread referring to AVmaniac's excellent calibration settings for this product line, but due to my relative unfamiliarity with the forum, I wasn't able to find them. Could anyone relink them here, or PM a link to me? Basically, the TV factory settings are horrible, and I do not have a calibration disc. I'm just looking for something reasonable that other's (likely far more experienced than me) have come up with, at least as a starting point for any changes to my personal taste.

I know this set is very powerful, and can produce an amazing picture with deep blacks and vivid colors. Right now it just seems pretty muted and flat to me though... FWIW, our typical usage includes HD Digital Cable, XBOX gaming, Netflix streaming, DVD/BluRay movies, and one potential "wild card" - lots of Ice Hockey.

Anyway, many thanks in advance to anybody with advice or direction for finding recommended settings!
post #3857 of 3868 Old 09-11-2014, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristofer67 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've been sifting through this thread repeatedly, hoping to find recommended "calibration" settings for the Sharp Aquos LC-60SQ15U, as I recently procured this set from BestBuy. This was an insurance replacement to my 2012 Panasonic 55UT50. I do realize the new Sharp is not a plasma, but of all the available "comparable" sets in the store (price being a major factor), the Sharp 60SQ produced what I thought to be the best picture in terms of contrast, color, deep blacks, smoothness, and connectivity/features, etc.

I really do miss the Panasonic, as it was my first plasma and its image and inky blacks were gorgeous, but it suffered the dreaded 8-blinks board error in only 2 years of moderate home use, and they have since discontinued them. A repair wasn't even possible (we waited on the part for nearly 60 days, repeatedly rescheduling GeekSquad appointments before they finally admitted it was never going to come).

At any rate, the Sharp 60SQ15U has been delivered to my house, and the image (color, contrast, clarity, black levels, etc) is all quite worse looking than the in-store demo setup, though admittedly still pretty decent as compared to most TV's.

I've noticed many posts in this thread referring to AVmaniac's excellent calibration settings for this product line, but due to my relative unfamiliarity with the forum, I wasn't able to find them. Could anyone relink them here, or PM a link to me? Basically, the TV factory settings are horrible, and I do not have a calibration disc. I'm just looking for something reasonable that other's (likely far more experienced than me) have come up with, at least as a starting point for any changes to my personal taste.

I know this set is very powerful, and can produce an amazing picture with deep blacks and vivid colors. Right now it just seems pretty muted and flat to me though... FWIW, our typical usage includes HD Digital Cable, XBOX gaming, Netflix streaming, DVD/BluRay movies, and one potential "wild card" - lots of Ice Hockey.

Anyway, many thanks in advance to anybody with advice or direction for finding recommended settings!
Johnfull is our PQ settings guru this is the thread for different settings I like the dynamic settings
Sharp UQ17U Calibrations
post #3858 of 3868 Old 09-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukemon View Post
Johnfull is our PQ settings guru this is the thread for different settings I like the dynamic settings
Sharp UQ17U Calibrations
Thanks, Lukemon.
It's true that the settings I posted seem to be working for all the
different models of the Q+ lineup. Any feedback on the settings
is appreciated. I think you will like the extremely bright and
high-contrast that Dynamic provides. I reigned it in just enough
to keep it from clipping on the whites and the colors. Good luck!
vipervick likes this.
post #3859 of 3868 Old 09-11-2014, 11:23 AM

Thanks!
post #3860 of 3868 Old 09-13-2014, 08:55 AM

Liked: 12
newest SW update

Apologies if I missed it, anyone know what the latest update did? This is the 3rd one I've seen.

Best of luck
post #3861 of 3868 Old 09-13-2014, 04:17 PM

Liked: 22
I think they fixed the blue tint problem on these tv set
post #3862 of 3868 Old 09-13-2014, 06:36 PM

Liked: 13
Does anyone know much about the 55" LC-55LE643U? I found it online for 599 and thought about getting it to replace my 3 year old 42" M series in my family room.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-55...&skuId=5119194
post #3863 of 3868 Old 09-14-2014, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 356c View Post
Apologies if I missed it, anyone know what the latest update did? This is the 3rd one I've seen.
I haven't seen an update lately...
post #3864 of 3868 Old 09-14-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I haven't seen an update lately...
I have the UQ, if memory serves it's the 3rd, I did not see anything different after the update...Amazon would be nice...

Best of luck
post #3865 of 3868 Old 09-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 356c View Post
I have the UQ, if memory serves it's the 3rd, I did not see anything different after the update...Amazon would be nice...
This is the latest one listed on their website:

http://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSupport/SharpCareCenter/downloadfiles.aspx?modelid={12042BD5-8930-1327-ABF8-62FC07122C1C}

Firmware for LC-70UQ17UThis firmware improves the pairing process with some bluetooth keyboards. It also improves handling of 4k signals when switching the source from Full HD to 4k (on UD1UA models). It also includes improvements to the Background Music playability in the Slideshow feature.

This firmware also contains all previous fixes and enhancements.

For any LC70UD1U, LCxxLE650U, LCxxLE657U and LCxxC6500U models, this firmware is for models with Serial Numbers starting with "4xxxxxxxx". Please ensure you have the correct firmware version for your serial number before beginning the manual firmware upgrade via USB.

Version: 208U1406031

Date: 8/8/14
post #3866 of 3868 Old 09-14-2014, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

This was the only other one, so a third one is not listed as yet and I haven't gotten it on my set:

Firmware for LC-70UQ17UThis firmware improves the start up time of the TV. It also improves USB and DLNA handling of 4k pictures (on SQ/TQ/UQ and UD1UA models) and improves handling of 4k video content for LC70UD1UA models.

For any LC70UD1U, LCxxLE650U, LCxxLE657U and LCxxC6500U models, this firmware is for models with Serial Numbers starting with "4xxxxxxxx". Please ensure you have the correct firmware version for your serial number before beginning the manual firmware upgrade via USB.

Version: 205U1404211

Date: 6/9/14
post #3867 of 3868 Old 09-14-2014, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

I got my set in June, after the first update was released.
YouTube disappeared as an an app, but was restored without a formal update.
The August update installed itself without incident, but without any effect on this model...
post #3868 of 3868 Old 09-14-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
This was the only other one, so a third one is not listed as yet and I haven't gotten it on my set:

Firmware for LC-70UQ17UThis firmware improves the start up time of the TV. It also improves USB and DLNA handling of 4k pictures (on SQ/TQ/UQ and UD1UA models) and improves handling of 4k video content for LC70UD1UA models.

Version: 205U1404211

Date: 6/9/14
We bought in April, first update was immediate, second late spring I think, and now this one. Amazon would be nice, but I fear there is more to the story.
Thanks for the info

Best of luck
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
picture , Sharp 80 Inch Le650 Class Aquos Smart Led Tv , Sharp Aquos Quattron 70 Inch Class 3d Tv 2 Pairs Of Active 3d Glassses , Sharp He Lc 70ud1u 70 Inch Aquos 4k Ultra Hd 3d Smart Led Tv , smartcentral
Gear in this thread - Le650 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page