2014 Sharp AQUOS Line-Up - Page 147 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #4381 of 4399 Old 02-04-2015, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was using DYNAMIC, which was really cool and yes had a dramatic SOE. Now I am USER mode , which I like better and the colors aren't nearly as cool, but I still SOE. I guess I will try to tweak and use you suggestion to see what the result is. I haven't done anything in MOVIE mode yet.

" I use resolution enhanced off, motion enhancement 120Hz High, and film mode advanced +5 I do not really notice any soap opera effect when watching netflix or dish. Which picture mode are you using? Dynamic seems to show it more than others I have mines set on movie mode and im not sure if the Tv is a true 240Hz or 120Hz Tv but I would try with it at 120Hz and see if it is still there."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 4399 Old 02-04-2015, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjoe30 View Post
I was using DYNAMIC, which was really cool and yes had a dramatic SOE. Now I am USER mode , which I like better and the colors aren't nearly as cool, but I still SOE. I guess I will try to tweak and use you suggestion to see what the result is. I haven't done anything in MOVIE mode yet.

Movie mode will give you the more accurate color temp from all the modes although it will be dark compared to the others if you do not change any settings. I would suggest you try johnfulls settings on movie mode and just bump up the saturation a bit on red yellow and magenta turn off resolution enhanced and set motion to 120 high film mode can be turned off and raise the sharpness to +10. It took me about 2 months to find the settings I am very happy with, once the colors are tweaked the picture really pops and provides lots of depth and does not require the backlight to be set so high, I currently have mines set at -8 and my room is pretty bright and the picture looks great.
post #4383 of 4399 Old 02-04-2015, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quick question to the experts around here...

Is Aquos flagship and THX-certified panels made in Kagayama or Sakai, western Japan?

50 inch Panasonic Viera G20
46 inch Panasonic Viera G10
50 inch Pioneer Elite 111FD
post #4384 of 4399 Old 02-07-2015, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie_ View Post
Movie mode will give you the more accurate color temp from all the modes although it will be dark compared to the others if you do not change any settings. I would suggest you try johnfulls settings on movie mode and just bump up the saturation a bit on red yellow and magenta turn off resolution enhanced and set motion to 120 high film mode can be turned off and raise the sharpness to +10. It took me about 2 months to find the settings I am very happy with, once the colors are tweaked the picture really pops and provides lots of depth and does not require the backlight to be set so high, I currently have mines set at -8 and my room is pretty bright and the picture looks great.
Hey Reggie, thanks for you all of your input. I really do think that maybe MOVIE mode is the best fit for me as you're correct the color temps are more my speed.

However, you note that your backlight it set to -8? Does that mean you also have resolution enhancement set to off?

I am still seeing SOE but I am working on it.... maybe it is just my eyes if no one else notices anything like that.
post #4385 of 4399 Old 02-07-2015, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LC60SQ15U backlight

Hi,

I am relatively new to HDTVs. Recently I bought a lc60sq15u Sharp. I noticed that in watching movies, shows like Downtown Abbey on Apple TV, etc., that there is a backlight bleed through to what I am watching - which is really noticeable when the part of the picture should be dark - you can see that the backlight is making the picture lighter in that area.

I am now on my second lc60sq15u after returning the first one. Same exact problem. I have played with the settings and can mitigate the problem by either turning the backlight down a lot, or turning on the light sensor.

Observations:

when I turn on the TV as it boots up, I can see areas on the left and right (mid-left/mid-right) that has light showing though the rest of the screen is really dark. As the TV boots up, or as I switch inputs, I can clearly see these light patches as the TV adjusts. Problem is these lighter areas are still there when the picture is playing too. When I turn on the TV it is totally black, but I guess as the LED starts up then you can see these patches.

If I turn the light sensor to "off" then the patches are worse (the screen is brighter - but the backlight problem is too). If I turn the sensor to "on" then these area dim somewhat - as does the brightness of the TV screen. I can manually make them somewhat dimmer (they never really go away - just become less notable) by reducing the backlight setting if my light sensor is off.

Has anyone else noticed this with this class of Sharp TV? Is this normal at all for LED TVs? I really don't want to have to take this one back as overall I like it - except for this bleed thru light problem. I have Sharp sound bar as well so I am involved with Sharp products now but still debating as to whether I am committed or not.

thanks
post #4386 of 4399 Old 02-07-2015, 08:14 PM

lc60sq15u -

I just posted about patches of lighter areas on my Sharp LC60SQ15U that effect my viewing. Bleed through. I've attached a couple of photos that show the light areas, random areas and patterns. If you bring on full screen you get an idea of what I am talking about. My camera does not do the problem justice but you get an idea. Really notable watching TV at night or when the room is dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent1968 View Post
Hi,

I am relatively new to HDTVs. Recently I bought a lc60sq15u Sharp. I noticed that in watching movies, shows like Downtown Abbey on Apple TV, etc., that there is a backlight bleed through to what I am watching - which is really noticeable when the part of the picture should be dark - you can see that the backlight is making the picture lighter in that area.

I am now on my second lc60sq15u after returning the first one. Same exact problem. I have played with the settings and can mitigate the problem by either turning the backlight down a lot, or turning on the light sensor.

Observations:

when I turn on the TV as it boots up, I can see areas on the left and right (mid-left/mid-right) that has light showing though the rest of the screen is really dark. As the TV boots up, or as I switch inputs, I can clearly see these light patches as the TV adjusts. Problem is these lighter areas are still there when the picture is playing too. When I turn on the TV it is totally black, but I guess as the LED starts up then you can see these patches.

If I turn the light sensor to "off" then the patches are worse (the screen is brighter - but the backlight problem is too). If I turn the sensor to "on" then these area dim somewhat - as does the brightness of the TV screen. I can manually make them somewhat dimmer (they never really go away - just become less notable) by reducing the backlight setting if my light sensor is off.

Has anyone else noticed this with this class of Sharp TV? Is this normal at all for LED TVs? I really don't want to have to take this one back as overall I like it - except for this bleed thru light problem. I have Sharp sound bar as well so I am involved with Sharp products now but still debating as to whether I am committed or not.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0531.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	532601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0533.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	532609  
post #4387 of 4399 Old 02-08-2015, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello Kent1968, i had the LC60SQ17U, it is the same panel, i had the same problem as you, it is really annoying, but it is a common issue with edge-lit technology as by far as i know, my solution was to turn on the OPC and the colors were less shine but it became more dificult to see the clouding, and the backlight bleeding. Believe me, when you get used to the OPC you don't wanna move manually your backlight, for me it is more comfortable for my eyes, i think sharp did a great job with the light sensor.
Have you tried to put leds in the back of your tv, bias light or something, i have read that leds provide better contrast, so you wont see "clouding or DSE".
Sorry for my english.
post #4388 of 4399 Old 02-09-2015, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yayi1991 View Post
Hello Kent1968, i had the LC60SQ17U, it is the same panel, i had the same problem as you, it is really annoying, but it is a common issue with edge-lit technology as by far as i know, my solution was to turn on the OPC and the colors were less shine but it became more dificult to see the clouding, and the backlight bleeding. Believe me, when you get used to the OPC you don't wanna move manually your backlight, for me it is more comfortable for my eyes, i think sharp did a great job with the light sensor.
Have you tried to put leds in the back of your tv, bias light or something, i have read that leds provide better contrast, so you wont see "clouding or DSE".
Sorry for my english.
You are right! The OPC, or Light Sensor, works really well.
Try either the USER or the DYNAMIC setting here:

Sharp UQ17U Calibrations
post #4389 of 4399 Old 02-09-2015, 08:10 PM

[quote=johnfull;31611545]You are right! The OPC, or Light Sensor, works really well.
Try either the USER or the DYNAMIC setting here:

Thanks John ad Yayi. I do try the sensor setting and also used the settings you recommended. The problem still exists but is better. From what you've both said . . . this seems to be a known issue with LEDs so I guess there is no reason to take this TV back? Thanks
post #4390 of 4399 Old 02-16-2015, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Is the UQ17U the equivalent of the LE960X here in southeast asia?

Cant seem to find LE960X reviews and wondering if I can use the uq17u as reference.
post #4391 of 4399 Old 02-17-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodust View Post
Is the UQ17U the equivalent of the LE960X here in southeast asia?

Cant seem to find LE960X reviews and wondering if I can use the uq17u as reference.
The 960 is enhanced 4K. The UQ17U is enhanced HD.
Both use the Quattron system to expand definition...
post #4392 of 4399 Old 02-17-2015, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply john.

What is the equivalent of this in your shores?

Currently contemplating between the h7150/h6400 and the le960x. Since the 60s of the samsung use sharp panels anyway, thinking to just get a sharp!

Will be mainly used for a PC (both gaming and movies) PS3/PS4 gaming.

Primary concern is PQ and input lag.

Viewing distance around 9 feet.
post #4393 of 4399 Old 02-19-2015, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
To all Sharp Aquos owners,

I know this is probably the wrong section to post, but I posted over in the media streaming section, and haven't received a response after 31 views. I'm thinking nobody there has configured XBMC to Sharp Aquos. Here's my original post, http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/1900833-xbmc-via-sharp-aquos-lc-70tq15u.html and I'm hoping someon can shed some light on what I'm doing wrong.

Have any of you been able to configure XBMC to succesfully stream to your SHARP Aquos? I recently purchased a Sharp LC 70TQ15U from Best Buy and I only get still image on my TV when I try to stream to it from XBMC. The still image is the preview image of the video within XBMC. I don't receive any video and reverts back to the previous input after 10 secs.. I've been doing alot of research online and it appears Sharps dont' handle DLNA very well. Also I read something about needing a custom profile within XBMC or Plex (if I went this route) to get Sharp's DLNA to talk to the XBMC server. Help......anyone?
post #4394 of 4399 Old 02-25-2015, 01:21 PM

Sharp LC-80UQ17U Did I make the right choice and other questions and concerns

Just Finished my basement and the Wife gave me a budget for a big TV, I had a Pani 1080p Projector and a 121" screen in prior home but we didn't want to devote a specific area to a Home Theater in this home. She told me 70" but I knew I needed 75" or 80". Budget was $2000. I pressed it to $2500.

I've been obsessing and researching for weeks now on this forum and others trying to narrow down the TV and where to purchase it from. I was intrigued by the Online outlets but very skeptical on the process. I own an Insurance Agency and don't need the added stress to my day that I already have.

I wandered into a Brick and Mortar Electronics Store yesterday and saw a Sharp LC80UQ17U Open Box that looks in perfect condition. I was able to negotiate it down to where I needed to be which I think is a great deal. I know there will be a time in the future where this TV will be half the price I paid but I think by that time the new technology will be out a while and I'll be ready for the next Big thing.

It was between the Sammy 75" 6350, 7150 and this one. I think the 7150 may have been a better quality TV but quite frankly I want to move on with life.

A few questions:
1. I have a Pioneer VSX-1022 - should I bail on that and get a Onkyo 636 (4k upscaler) or does the Q+ TV upscale to best quality without having a receiver that supports it? what about the 3D?

2. I ran an optical for Audio/Smart TV and a Redmere HDMI from closet to display, also ran Ethernet, what else am I missing? another HDMI? (separate one for 4K) (I use Fios so I have no technology to give me that unless I stream via Ethernet which I have cable there) Plan to use my Apple TV for media and music. I guess I need a New BD 3D player as mine isn't 3D.

3. picked up an HDMI splitter from Mono to split signal so I can use another smaller TV in work out area, that shouldn't effect things should it?

Should be it for now, I am pretty savvy with this stuff but have been out of the game for a few years. Thanks in advance to whomever wants to tackle this. Ultimate goal is that I want the max PQ and set up for this monster.
post #4395 of 4399 Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
2014 Sharp AQUOS Line-Up

Looks like another software update is out for the UQ.
post #4396 of 4399 Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Website only mentions "updates the Smart Central 3.0 platform." I still so improvement to the handling of OTA channels via SmartCentral.

The TV mentions something about "SambaTV" after the update, but I don't see anything relating to Samba in the menus.
post #4397 of 4399 Old Today, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
DOWNLOADS FOR: LC-70TQ15U

Firmware

Firmware for LC-70TQ15U : This firmware improves the audio playback in the Pandora application. It also improves the backlight level when in THX AV Mode and input signal is switched from 4k to 2k. It also adds support for the IR Blaster accessory, and updates the Smart Central 3.0 platform.

This firmware also contains all previous fixes and enhancements. Please see section 4-32 of the Operation Manual for the software update instructions.

For any LC70UD1U, LCxxLE650U, LCxxLE657U and LCxxC6500U models, this firmware is for models with Serial Numbers starting with "4xxxxxxxx". Please ensure you have the correct firmware version for your serial number before beginning the manual firmware upgrade via USB.

Version: 213U1502131

Date: 2/27/15

http://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSupp...-9C5508F07CCA}
post #4398 of 4399 Old Today, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I just checked and there is an update for the SQ models as well.

Army Rangers lead the way!

Pioneer SC-1523K, OPPO-103, Sharp Q+ 60SQ15U, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #4399 of 4399 Unread Today, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post
I just checked and there is an update for the SQ models as well.
I did this upgrade last night . As a result I was unable to open any Smart Central app. I unplugged the set set but still no go. Was all set to call Sharp this morning but bingo..everything working well ..
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
picture , Sharp 80 Inch Le650 Class Aquos Smart Led Tv , Sharp Aquos Quattron 70 Inch Class 3d Tv 2 Pairs Of Active 3d Glassses , Sharp He Lc 70ud1u 70 Inch Aquos 4k Ultra Hd 3d Smart Led Tv , smartcentral
Gear in this thread - Le650 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page