2014 Sharp AQUOS Line-Up - Page 148 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 190Likes
post #4411 of 4767 Old 03-08-2015, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 268
EDIT: removed calibrations settings until I get get CMS right.

Last edited by jhughy2010; 03-08-2015 at 11:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 4767 Old 03-08-2015, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceknyght View Post
Hey guys!

3. I wanted to use the Auto backlight feature (and had been using it), but for some reason on random timing, it slightly dims and then goes back to normal (ie: dim...normal...dim...normal, etc). I turn it off and the screen is fine, but I turn it on, no matter which setting, and it starts doing it again (I tried User, Game and Movie settings. THX works fine, since it does not use the auto backlight feature). Not sure why it's doing this, but I turn it off and it works normal...

Other than these problems, the TV is great! I am using John's settings for User setting for now and I am liking how it looks (although, I turned off all the processing since I don't care for the SOE), but I do plan to tinker with it a little more with my WOW disc when it moves into the basement...

But with these problems, are they normal? Should I give the TV more time to settle, or should I call Sharp and have someone look at it? Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
The auto-dim feature seems to have a learning curve -- after a few weeks,
the flicker goes away. It seems to be a feedback response that is damped.
post #4413 of 4767 Old 03-08-2015, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Like I said... These settings yielded near perfect results as it pertains to Rec. 709 standards and the color space was very accurate.
Yikes! I'd say our panels (or eyes) are vastly different (I have a 70UQ). I just popped in your settings because I felt like fiddling with the TV. Clarity was goopy and everyone looked like they forgot to wear sunscreen on a hot summer day at the beach. I'm not questioning your settings on your system... just commenting on how they worked for me. Now that I'm playing around with the settings, I'll plug in some of johnfull's to see what they look like.
post #4414 of 4767 Old 03-08-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by labboypro View Post
Yikes! I'd say our panels (or eyes) are vastly different (I have a 70UQ). I just popped in your settings because I felt like fiddling with the TV. Clarity was goopy and everyone looked like they forgot to wear sunscreen on a hot summer day at the beach. I'm not questioning your settings on your system... just commenting on how they worked for me. Now that I'm playing around with the settings, I'll plug in some of johnfull's to see what they look like.
One of two things are likely happening... are you used to D65? If not, I would suggest you watch a full blu ray film (with ample dark scenes) and let your eyes adjust before making a comparison. When I first plugged in someones settings that were Rec. 709 standards I really didn't like them. This is typical as most displays come pretty blue and high in color temperature out of the box. Chances are, if you don't even like the THX mode on your display, then you aren't going to initially like Rec. 709 settings. It took me a few high def movies to finally appreciate it... then after a few days I could never go back to "inaccurate" color temperatures and settings.

Also, it could very well be that the SQ and the UQ differ enough to where plugging in SQ settings just isn't going to properly adjust a UQ displays settings.
post #4415 of 4767 Old 03-08-2015, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post
The auto-dim feature seems to have a learning curve -- after a few weeks,
the flicker goes away. It seems to be a feedback response that is damped.
Interesting... It's weird cause it starts randomly (ie: not always when I turn the setting on)... A few weeks seem to be a long time to calibrate! I don't know if I have enough patience to wait out the flickering for a couple weeks!

As for actual settings, I know that what I watch over the air (don't currently have cable) and what I watch on Blu Ray are sometimes completely different! On my current settings, all the Blu Rays I have watched look awesome, where over the air stuff is really hit or miss (same settings)...

There can be only one!
post #4416 of 4767 Old 03-08-2015, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Skin tones extremely red on 70sq ...goes to show every panel is somewhat different
post #4417 of 4767 Old 03-08-2015, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Clarity was goopy and everyone looked like they forgot to wear sunscreen on a hot summer day at the beach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue comet View Post
Skin tones extremely red on 70sq
Yep!!! Skin tones were way too red. I just got done watching a movie and could hardly handle it. I must have screwed something up in the CMS or pre-CMS tint calibration. I knew my blue was off (according to my CIE diagram) but I thought I got red pretty good. I'm working on it.
post #4418 of 4767 Old 03-10-2015, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have been a long time DLP owner and looking to get into a flat panel with better picture, resolution and calibration features. I have read most of this thread and done extensive tv review reads. My question is, is the q+ a good tv to get. I was sold on the 70UQ then I went to my local BB and saw some 4K sets in my price range (in smaller screens and made by VIZIO, not sure if im a fan of VIZIO). My impression of the 70UQ in the stores is it blows me away, I mean I have a DLP which I have calibrated to a nice picture but DLP is old tech. Im afraid of what the 70UQ actually looks like at home when its not playing a disc that sharp made to make the tv look great. I mean i'm sure its still a great picture and better than what I have now. But I'm wanting to know if its worth the money to make the switch or should I wait out and see how this 4k business plays out. So my questions other than if you guys still love and recommend your Q+.

1.) How is the picture displaying blu ray? Kind of a dumb question but im curious because all I have seen it display is what i think is downscaled 4k in the store.
2.) Does the Q+ really enhance your regular HD picture? It sounds like from reviews that there is a slight noticeable difference when displaying normal HD.

Any insight, encouragement, etc. is very welcomed and appreciated.
post #4419 of 4767 Old 03-11-2015, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So I made an upgrade to my home theater system....a Sony STR-DN1050 receiver and the Pioneer SP-PK52FS speaker system. WOW. First subwoofer system and the audio is amazing.

Since the receiver can upconvert, and has HDMI pass thrus, I have the BluRay and DirecTV receiver plugged into it. The Sony HDMI output then goes out to the Sharp LC-60SQ15U, still using the great settings provided by johnfull.

Without thinking about it, I plugged that into HDMI port 1, which supports the 4k/upconvert.

Everything looks great...but am I doing too much converting?

Are there any 4k video clips out there to see the Sharp's 4k support in action?

Thanks for your feedback!
post #4420 of 4767 Old 03-12-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tried calibrating the 60" SQ to 75% color saturation?
post #4421 of 4767 Old 03-13-2015, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePaul View Post
So I made an upgrade to my home theater system....a Sony STR-DN1050 receiver and the Pioneer SP-PK52FS speaker system. WOW. First subwoofer system and the audio is amazing.

Since the receiver can upconvert, and has HDMI pass thrus, I have the BluRay and DirecTV receiver plugged into it. The Sony HDMI output then goes out to the Sharp LC-60SQ15U, still using the great settings provided by johnfull.

Without thinking about it, I plugged that into HDMI port 1, which supports the 4k/upconvert.

Everything looks great...but am I doing too much converting?

Are there any 4k video clips out there to see the Sharp's 4k support in action?

Thanks for your feedback!
I myself let the TV do the processing.

Army Rangers lead the way!

Yamaha RX-A1050, Yamaha BD-A1010, Sharp Q+ 60SQ15U, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #4422 of 4767 Old 03-17-2015, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Will these settings (johnfull) work on a LC70EQ10U?
post #4423 of 4767 Old 03-17-2015, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeffreyxnothing View Post
Will these settings (johnfull) work on a LC70EQ10U?
Give it a try -- you can always re-set it to factory settings if you don't like it...
post #4424 of 4767 Old 03-17-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post
Give it a try -- you can always re-set it to factory settings if you don't like it...
Thanks for the quick reply! Sharp is sending me this unit as a replacement for my le650u that had the "white spots" problem. Can't wait to give these a try.
post #4425 of 4767 Old 03-17-2015, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Finally was able to pull the trigger on a TV. Glad I waited. The price point for the Sharp LC-60UQ17U makes it a great value. It is arriving Saturday. Replacing Mit RPTV.

Searched. Only found another person asking same question. Bluetooth keyboard that works with the TV?

Logitech K400 support says don't expect it work fully. its not designed for smart TV's.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #4426 of 4767 Old 03-20-2015, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
Finally was able to pull the trigger on a TV. Glad I waited. The price point for the Sharp LC-60UQ17U makes it a great value. It is arriving Saturday. Replacing Mit RPTV.

Searched. Only found another person asking same question. Bluetooth keyboard that works with the TV?

Logitech K400 support says don't expect it work fully. its not designed for smart TV's.
I wonder if a Apple cordless will work with the UQ...?

Best of luck
post #4427 of 4767 Old 03-21-2015, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Good question. So far I've gotten nowhere beyond the information from Logitech that the K400 might work for some keys but that it isn't designed to be a keyboard for a smart TV. There's a couple on Amazon that come from China that advertise they are for Smart TV's. But probably a try and see thing.

Sharp is of no help.

The road leads to try them and see what works. That is not exactly the kind of answer I've been hoping to find.

Weird and given this is a small matter you'd think Sharp would have tested a few and had a recommended list.

Or someone selling keyboards would have and made it a sales point for their bluetooth keyboard/mice/touch pad thing.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #4428 of 4767 Old 03-21-2015, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a bluetooth Apple keyboard which I m going to try, I'll report what if anything happens.
Thanks
jsmiddleton4 likes this.

Best of luck
post #4429 of 4767 Old 03-21-2015, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I received a warranty extension from Sharp in the mail the other day. They want me to lock into a 3 year warranty extension for $192. The warranty would start after my one year ends.

Has anyone else purchased an extended warranty from sharp?

I normally do not do extended warranties but for some reason I'm considering doing this.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
post #4430 of 4767 Old 03-21-2015, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice TV. Wow, there's a lot of settings to mess with.....

post #4431 of 4767 Old 03-21-2015, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

So if I used the TV for Netflix how to I get audio out to my home theater receiver?

Optical gets me nothing.

Some setting?

HDMI ARC only?

And with my cable box which only does 1080i 240 refresh rate is not available. Normal?

Figured the 120-240 thing. Have to turn off the automatic Modes for Motion Enhancement.

Edit:

Went through my receiver setup again to make sure it had setup the input to use Optical in. That fixed the Netflix audio problem. Weird getting audio off TV broadcast via HDMI in from cable box and optical out.

Working now.

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; 03-21-2015 at 08:37 PM.
post #4432 of 4767 Old 03-22-2015, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgret View Post
I received a warranty extension from Sharp in the mail the other day. They want me to lock into a 3 year warranty extension for $192. The warranty would start after my one year ends.

Has anyone else purchased an extended warranty from sharp?

I normally do not do extended warranties but for some reason I'm considering doing this.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Warranties are designed to be very profitable.
Additionally, technology is rapidly developing.
Besides, defects will show up in the normal one year coverage.
Sharp sets are very reliable when you have one free of defects...
post #4433 of 4767 Old 03-22-2015, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Extended warranty.

I used my Amazon Visa Rewards Card and in doing so the warranty is automatically extended for another year. That makes 2 years. That's enough for me.

post #4434 of 4767 Old 03-22-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Checked the issue at least one user reported about 2D movies kicking in the 3D options. I was able to reproduce it but only if the Auto 3D mode option is set to Mode 2. No problems with Mode 1.

3D looks great. Going from my Mit 63738 and while its 3D looked good it did drop out of 1080P to do 3D.

The minion antics in Despicable Me look great.

While I appreciate the 2 pair of glasses with the 17U Sharp you couldn't throw in two bags for the glasses?

post #4435 of 4767 Old 03-22-2015, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Checked the issue at least one user reported about 2D movies kicking in the 3D options. I was able to reproduce it but only if the Auto 3D mode option is set to Mode 2. No problems with Mode 1.

3D looks great. Going from my Mit 63738 and while its 3D looked good it did drop out of 1080P to do 3D.

The minion antics in Despicable Me look great.

While I appreciate the 2 pair of glasses with the 17U Sharp you couldn't throw in two bags for the glasses?
The 2D kicking to 3D problem started for me right after the latest firmware on my SQ70. I disabled the auto setting to get it to stop. Can't remember if I had it set to Mode 1 or 2 now.
post #4436 of 4767 Old 03-22-2015, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I updated mine as soon as I hooked it up so I didn't get a chance to do A B comparison. It would be easy to manually turn it on. While I enjoy 3D movies we watch them infrequently. The one movie that triggered it the most often was Flatliners. Not sure why. Something in how it switches scenes?

Played perfectly all the way through with Mode 1.

Didn't have the budget for a 70 inch. Bet its nice.

post #4437 of 4767 Old 03-22-2015, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I updated mine as soon as I hooked it up so I didn't get a chance to do A B comparison. It would be easy to manually turn it on. While I enjoy 3D movies we watch them infrequently. The one movie that triggered it the most often was Flatliners. Not sure why. Something in how it switches scenes?

Played perfectly all the way through with Mode 1.

Didn't have the budget for a 70 inch. Bet its nice.
I love the 3D on this TV. It inspired me to increase my 3D move collection. We got hooked. I'm not a fan of the conversion however, just doesn't cut it for me. LOL
post #4438 of 4767 Old 03-22-2015, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't quite understand those to dis 3D. There's movies that are way better in 3D like Avatar.

Not a fan of 2D to 3D conversion either.

Most of the movies I prefer in 3D come in the multi pack bluray packaging so they are actually a good deal.

Watching NCAA Basketball and not a blur in sight. I'm using 240. 960 doesn't seem any better and darkens the screen.

Gonna tackle calibration settings once I figure out the basics. But even at that so many options, settings, kinda over whelming.

post #4439 of 4767 Old 03-22-2015, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

When I get off angle the picture looks like it has too much contrast. Normal viewing angles picture is amazing and quite pleasing.

What am I looking at in terms of possible adjustment for off angle viewing? Obviously new to this LCD thing.

Is that backlighting adjustment, contrast or brightness?

post #4440 of 4767 Old 03-22-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
When I get off angle the picture looks like it has too much contrast. Normal viewing angles picture is amazing and quite pleasing.

What am I looking at in terms of possible adjustment for off angle viewing? Obviously new to this LCD thing.

Is that backlighting adjustment, contrast or brightness?
There's not really much you can do to fix off angle viewing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
picture , Sharp 80 Inch Le650 Class Aquos Smart Led Tv , Sharp Aquos Quattron 70 Inch Class 3d Tv 2 Pairs Of Active 3d Glassses , Sharp He Lc 70ud1u 70 Inch Aquos 4k Ultra Hd 3d Smart Led Tv , smartcentral
Gear in this thread