2014 Sharp AQUOS Line-Up - Page 154 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 196Likes

post #4591 of 4778 Old 09-02-2015, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixelectronics@ymail.com View Post
I agree but why is the artwork so saturated. Like in the pictures I posted
Does actual content using that service look too saturated or just the artwork? What about games?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 4778 Old 09-02-2015, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I do not use it on games because of the lag. It is just on the settings on this thread for movie that look that way. Not so much saturation on the actual movies/shows but, it is still there. Sucks because it's enough to where I don't want to use my Xbox for anything other than gaming
post #4593 of 4778 Old 09-03-2015, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
I do not use it on games because of the lag. It is just on the settings on this thread for movie that look that way. Not so much saturation on the actual movies/shows but, it is still there. Sucks because it's enough to where I don't want to use my Xbox for anything other than gaming
Manufacturers have always used 'push' on colors to make them pop.
It dates back to the bad old days of NTSC color, when phase shifts in
the signal would cause flesh tones to turn either magenta or green.
Color-correction was born of necessity in the early era.
Nowadays, the limitations are from the backlight source instead.
The blue LED primary source has to be tamed through various methods.
Sharp uses Quattron to supply yellow to cancel some of the blue.
The phosphor applied to the blue LED has green, yellow, and red
wavelengths. Sharp promised to widen the middle of the spectrum
with a deeper blue-green component, but only for their most expensive 'beyond 4K' model to begin with. I can only imagine the
color push that will ensue, when images of Caribbean waters glow
with aquamarine radiation. Actually, no imagination is required.
Wide-gamut existed in the old CCFL backlit sets. LED just needs to
catch up!

post #4594 of 4778 Old 09-03-2015, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sounds like it could be a setup issue in the xbox one. You could do as John said and just turn the colour control down a few clicks.
post #4595 of 4778 Old 09-03-2015, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just picked up an LC70EQ10 for a super duper cheap price. Looking for some calibration settings. Anyone here that can help?

Last edited by bjeong1381; 09-14-2015 at 09:37 AM.
post #4596 of 4778 Old 09-06-2015, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help - before I make new purchase - I want to stream Netflix 4K. I've got the internet speed and a Sharp LC70TQ15U from Best Buy. From what I read in the threads, I need a 4K device that would connect via the HDMI port 1 that has the ability to handle the 4K input. I would believe I could do this with a blu-ray or other streaming device; currently have older Apple TV. I do not have a blu-ray collection so I was looking at Nvdia Sheild. Not sure if I need to worry about a 3D 4K blu-ray or if this other option is the way to go or something else. Purchased the tv a year ago and I'm not ready to invest in another TV but $200 - $300 I could live with.

So is this correct? Can we stream 4K on a Q+ with a 4K decoder device? And any thoughts on which way to go.

I will say that I upgraded my Netflix and I have noticed an improved picture over my already great picture.
post #4597 of 4778 Old 09-06-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The device has to be able to decode hevc and I don't think any blu-ray player offers that. I do not know anything about the Nvidia Shield. I'd gather it should work if the device can do that.

Edit: Just looked into the shield and it says it can so it should work since the 2014 Sharps can apparently accept a hdcp 2.2 signal.
smeaster likes this.

Last edited by rlindo; 09-06-2015 at 09:06 AM.
post #4598 of 4778 Old 09-06-2015, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
The device has to be able to decode hevc and I don't think any blu-ray player offers that. I do not know anything about the Nvidia Shield. I'd gather it should work if the device can do that.

Edit: Just looked into the shield and it says it can so it should work since the 2014 Sharps can apparently accept a hdcp 2.2 signal.
Thank you for your quick response!
post #4599 of 4778 Old 09-07-2015, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi hope someone can help me on this I having this issue during playing PS4, I try everything change HDMI clabe, changing the color setup but this error its random and only with the game of metal gear phantom pain on PS4 at least as today, using Xbox one, or other ps4, blu ray player and watching regular Tv I dont have this problem... Im also change at store the disc and still the problem.

Here is the video as you will see suddenly the sky became purple..., I notice that if I change between video settings the purple color could get lower but I really dont know what to do...

Im not able to upload the link from you tube as Im new here so you could see my video by putting Metal gear solid 5 phantom pain video problems at the search.
post #4600 of 4778 Old 09-07-2015, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolfo sanchez View Post
Hi hope someone can help me on this I having this issue during playing PS4, I try everything change HDMI clabe, changing the color setup but this error its random and only with the game of metal gear phantom pain on PS4 at least as today, using Xbox one, or other ps4, blu ray player and watching regular Tv I dont have this problem... Im also change at store the disc and still the problem.

Here is the video as you will see suddenly the sky became purple..., I notice that if I change between video settings the purple color could get lower but I really dont know what to do...

Im not able to upload the link from you tube as Im new here so you could see my video by putting Metal gear solid 5 phantom pain video problems at the search.
Did a search and couldn't find your link. How old is it and what is your youtube user name?
post #4601 of 4778 Old 09-10-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Did a search and couldn't find your link. How old is it and what is your youtube user name?
Hi my user name in you tube is Adolfo Sanchez, the video is upload as Metal gear solid 5 phantom pain video problems
post #4602 of 4778 Old 09-10-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Still can't find it and I went back 2 weeks worth of search results.

Just go make a bunch of posts in different threads here until you reach the target that unlocks posting links.
post #4603 of 4778 Old 09-10-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:

Just go make a bunch of posts in different threads here until you reach the target that unlocks posting links.
ok thanks for you time i will do it so you can see my problem
post #4604 of 4778 Old 09-10-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:

ok thanks for you time i will do it so you can see my problem, also any calibration settings that you can recommend me using the ps4
post #4605 of 4778 Old 09-10-2015, 07:58 PM

hope you can help me
post #4606 of 4778 Old 09-10-2015, 08:24 PM

I notice if i put more sharpness the purple effect on the image can get worst, the funny thing its the only game that this happened, I try movies using blu ray, watching tv, playing other games on PS4, Xbox One and Wii U no problem with getting that purple effect, change HDMI cables,, Im pretty sure that its something about config of settings on the TV
post #4607 of 4778 Old 09-11-2015, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It is hard to tell based on the video but it seemed like when you went to game and movie it looked fine and was the worst on dynamic. Dynamic has the colour at +22 which is WAY too high so if there is a slightly purple cast to the sky in the source then dynamic is going to make it look hideous like that. That you don't see it in anything else says to me it is in the source and the colour being set so high is why it looks like it is a problem.

The colour control shouldn't be set at anything above 0 to begin with if you want things to look closer to how they are supposed to.

On the last page in post 4569 I posted values I got calibrating the tv and by calibrating I mean with actual calibration software and calibration hardware to a set standard. You could try it out. jhughy has posted calibrated settings in the page before that or 2 before that which you can also try out.

There's going to be variance between sets as well so plugging in one set of numbers won't give the exact image as the person who got the numbers. Jhughy's settings for example don't really work on the SQ I have access to yet he calibrated to the same standard as I did.

Last edited by rlindo; 09-11-2015 at 05:50 AM.
post #4608 of 4778 Old 09-11-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
It is hard to tell based on the video but it seemed like when you went to game and movie it looked fine and was the worst on dynamic. Dynamic has the colour at +22 which is WAY too high so if there is a slightly purple cast to the sky in the source then dynamic is going to make it look hideous like that. That you don't see it in anything else says to me it is in the source and the colour being set so high is why it looks like it is a problem.

The colour control shouldn't be set at anything above 0 to begin with if you want things to look closer to how they are supposed to.

On the last page in post 4569 I posted values I got calibrating the tv and by calibrating I mean with actual calibration software and calibration hardware to a set standard. You could try it out. jhughy has posted calibrated settings in the page before that or 2 before that which you can also try out.

There's going to be variance between sets as well so plugging in one set of numbers won't give the exact image as the person who got the numbers. Jhughy's settings for example don't really work on the SQ I have access to yet he calibrated to the same standard as I did.

My model of tv is LC-70SQ15U ok I will try the calibration that you said, so for your opinion its not a TV problem or PS4 problem then... its calibration problem...sorry wonder if you could add me the links as Im not able to find it... sorry and thanks for your help
post #4609 of 4778 Old 09-11-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Well, I tried and I feel I got the image to be a bit better and lessened the the yellow splotch look. Couldn't of course do it and keep things in line so yellow will read out like jhughy's run. To me it is a far better tradeoff than having this people look like they have jaundice. yellow areas on skin are still more pronounced than they should be.

I got greyscale dialed in and actually had brightness at 120 cd/m2 on white but to do that either required setting contrast high (which throws out colours and makes the yellow worse) or upping the backlight to +11 which then made the clouding far more visible so I decided to just give up the brightness target.

I used the 10 point controls again (sorry antala) because that's the best way to get the greyscale to be consistent and I was targeting a BT.1886 gamma curve which because of the mediocre black means the overall gamma is around 2.2.

av mode: movie
backlight +5
contrast +23 (if the cms actually worked how it should and had a functioning luminance adjustment then one could jack up contrast a good bit more)
brightness 0
colour 0
tint 0
sharpness 0

advanced menu

resolution enhanced: off (this causes worsening of the yellow when it is on and it also dims the image)
motion enhancement: off (personal preference)
clear picture proc: off

cms hue (in order they appear)
-7, -5, -7, 5, -15, -1

cms saturation (in order they appear)
0, -10 (because yellow sucks so much), 5, 5, 5, 6

cms value: not used because this is broken and should probably be for the cms luminance funny since a luminance control would probably go a long way to fixing the colour issues on this model

colour temp 10 point setting on:

pos 1: 0, 8, -30
pos 2: -9, 9, -30
pos 3: 4, 17, -30
pos 4: 8, 16, -30
pos 5: 3, 18, -30
pos 6: -1, 21, -30
pos 7: -6, 18, -30
pos 8: -7, 21, -30
pos 9: -8, 17, -30
pos 10: 0, 0, -30

gee look at that, -30 for every blue value. stunned!

active contrast: off
gamma: -3
film mode: off (personal pref)
digital noise reduction: off
colour gamut: standard

Watching some Person of Interest on blu-ray right now and I can say I'm not disgusted by the yellowing of some facial areas like I was before. Skin tones are still off yet this is passable.

find it so this config will work for video games like ( ps4, xbx one etc) and blu ray content?

Thks!!
post #4610 of 4778 Old 09-11-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, it (on the set I worked with that is) provide a very accurate image short of the quirks that the TV has which can't be fixed without an external processing device.

Note that when I say accurate I mean just that and what is on the screen will generally look like what the people behind the movie, show or game intended it to look like on our consumer displays. Many don't like accuracy and prefer their own personal taste which is fine but I am not one of those.

If you like the look but don't like the added lag movie mode brings then you could copy everything over to game mode that has a lower input lag figure. Game mode uses the extended colour gamut so it'll lose some accuracy as colours will be more saturated than they should be. May be preferable for games.
post #4611 of 4778 Old 09-11-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Here is the cal to the Sharp SQ 60" using HCFR and i1display Pro (after owning about 1.5 years and spending over 80 hours perfecting the calibration for Rec 709):

AV MODE: Movie
Automatic Light Sensor: Off
Backlight: +8
Contrast: +27
Brightness: +0
Color: +0
Tint: +0
Sharpness: +0

Advanced
Resolution Mode: Mode 1
Motion Enhancement: 120Hz Low
Clear Picture Processing: Off

C.M.S -Hue
R +7
Y +3
G -7
C +4
B +1
M -8

C.M.S - Saturation
R -2
Y -1
G +1
C +9
B +4
M -3

C.M.S. - Value
Not used

Color Temp: Low
R LO: +0
G LO: +10
B LO: -28
R HI: -2
G HI: +20
B HI: -30

Active Contrast: Off
Gamma Adjustment: -2
Film Mode: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Color Gamut Range: Standard
Monochrome: Off

After playing around calibrating for nearly 40 hours I finally discovered that having a lower contrast resulted in a lower average dE across the board with all saturation levels of the primaries/secondaries as well as decent color checker average dE. As a consequence, I increased the backlight. What resulted is a very accurate CIE diagram (compared to many other settings I have experimented with) and lower dE. Initially yellow was only accurate with a C.M.S. Saturation of +17. I found that this increased Orange on the color checker pattern too drastically (a dE of over 6) and flesh tones resulted in too much saturation making things noticeably orange... but the CIE diagram didn't reflect this as yellow "appeared" accurate between 0 and 90% saturation. When I used the color checker "yellow orange" pattern to reduce saturation to yellow then 100% yellow became accurate (low dE) and then Orange became accurate as well. Flesh/skin tones were much better.

Anyhow, anybody with an SQ should try out these settings. Remember, it is only good for Rec 709 material. Video games don't really do well as the input lag is too high for movie mode.
Any setting can I used for Games and Movies
post #4612 of 4778 Old 09-11-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Yes, it (on the set I worked with that is) provide a very accurate image short of the quirks that the TV has which can't be fixed without an external processing device.

Note that when I say accurate I mean just that and what is on the screen will generally look like what the people behind the movie, show or game intended it to look like on our consumer displays. Many don't like accuracy and prefer their own personal taste which is fine but I am not one of those.

If you like the look but don't like the added lag movie mode brings then you could copy everything over to game mode that has a lower input lag figure. Game mode uses the extended colour gamut so it'll lose some accuracy as colours will be more saturated than they should be. May be preferable for games.
Thanks for all your support on this, at soon I get back to home I will try this new settings and inform you the results
post #4613 of 4778 Old 09-11-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for all your support on this, at soon I get back to home I will try this new settings and inform you the results
You're welcome mate, glad to help.

Also be sure to try out jhughy's settings as well to see if one works better on your specific set. His will also be fine for all content.
post #4614 of 4778 Old 09-11-2015, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:

Quote:
A few nights ago and made some pretty huge adjustments to my SQ calibration. A few things I did different:

1. Used my HTPC as the source instead of the laptop. I found this to yield much better real world results as I had more control at neutralizing the hardware and ultimately my content comes from the HTPC anyway.

2. Instead of focusing on 75% saturation or 100% saturation I took the average dE from 10 different saturation points. This was done to all colors on the CIE diagram. The result was that color checker had a much lower average dE and the dots on the CIE diagram lined up.

3. I tried 10 point gray scale which yielded favorable results. However, 100% white had a dE above 9 whilst most everything else was well under 2 some close to 0. There was no way to compromise with the 10 point to bring 100% down. Consequently average dE was slightly higher than 2 point. I decided to stick with 2 point because not only was 100% dE significantly lower, but average dE was slightly lower and contrast was slightly higher.

A side note, I've heard from other calibrators that getting 100% dialed in on these Sharps is imperative to get CMS accurate as well.

4. I calibrated game mode the same way. It was much harder but I feel like the results are favorable.

Game mode behaves very differently than movie mode. The settings for each are nowhere close to the same. A calibration from movie will not work in game mode. Playing games in movie mode is pointless due to input lag.

Rlindo, I wonder if our movie mode settings match closer now that I made some huge adjustments. I'll post back soon.
rlindo likes this.

Last edited by jhughy2010; 09-11-2015 at 02:16 PM.
post #4615 of 4778 Old 09-11-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
A few nights ago and made some pretty huge adjustments to my SQ calibration. A few things I did different:

1. Used my HTPC as the source instead of the laptop. I found this to yield much better real world results as I had more control at neutralizing the hardware and ultimately my content comes from the HTPC anyway.

2. Instead of focusing on 75% saturation or 100% saturation I took the average dE from 10 different saturation points. This was done to all colors on the CIE diagram. The result was that color checker had a much lower average dE and the dots on the CIE diagram lined up.

3. I tried 10 point gray scale which yielded favorable results. However, 100% white had a dE above 9 whilst most everything else was well under 2 some close to 0. There was no way to compromise with the 10 point to bring 100% down. Consequently average dE was slightly higher than 2 point. I decided to stick with 2 point because not only was 100% dE significantly lower, but average dE was slightly lower and contrast was slightly higher.

A side note, I've heard from other calibrators that getting 100% dialed in on these Sharps is imperative to get CMS accurate as well.

4. I calibrated game mode the same way. It was much harder but I feel like the results are favorable.

Game mode behaves very differently than movie mode. The settings for each are nowhere close to the same. A calibration from movie will not work in game mode. Playing games in movie mode is pointless due to input lag.

Rlindo, I wonder if our movie mode settings match closer now that I made some huge adjustments. I'll post back soon.

Hi jhughy2010 wonder if you could share your update calibration for I can check also your settings. Thks!
post #4616 of 4778 Old 09-11-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hopefully you will post your game mode settings for Adolfo if it yields that big of difference in settings. I know the cms will be a good bit different yet figured the greyscale would be fairly close.
post #4617 of 4778 Old 09-11-2015, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep I'll post first thing tomorrow morning. I'll post both the game mode and movie mode.... I'll link them at the bottom in my signature too for easy reference... as I highly doubt I'll make any changes in the coming months. My next focus will be a projector
post #4618 of 4778 Old 09-11-2015, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep I'll post first thing tomorrow morning. I'll post both the game mode and movie mode.... I'll link them at the bottom in my signature too for easy reference... as I highly doubt I'll make any changes in the coming months. My next focus will be a projector
Go JVC.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #4619 of 4778 Old 09-12-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok guys I updated my calibrations post and put a link in my signature. Enjoy!
rlindo likes this.
post #4620 of 4778 Old 09-12-2015, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
ok guys i updated my calibrations post and put a link in my signature. Enjoy! :d
thks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
picture , Sharp 80 Inch Le650 Class Aquos Smart Led Tv , Sharp Aquos Quattron 70 Inch Class 3d Tv 2 Pairs Of Active 3d Glassses , Sharp He Lc 70ud1u 70 Inch Aquos 4k Ultra Hd 3d Smart Led Tv , smartcentral

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page