2014 Sharp AQUOS Line-Up - Page 159 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 190Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #4741 of 4766 Unread 03-15-2016, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gatti-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: austin texas
Posts: 1,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
That did it. All I had to do was actually play the movie. Boy do I feel dumb
gatti-man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4742 of 4766 Unread 03-17-2016, 04:53 AM
Senior Member
 
mr b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Glad it worked out for you. Still can't get mine to work w/ my AVR so I may have to give up on it.

__________________________________________________ ________________
LG 75UH8500 | Sharp 70TQ15 | Onkyo TX-NR656 | Polk Satellites | CS200 Center | Infinity BU-1|
IOGear 4-Port 4k x 2k HDMI Switcher | 24TB Server 2012 R2E | ReadyNas RN104 |
Nvidia SATV | Amazon FTV2 | Mede8er 800X3D | Dune HD Duo | XBone | Samsung UBD-K8500 |
mr b is online now  
post #4743 of 4766 Unread 03-21-2016, 12:11 PM
Member
 
rongopongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
It is psuedo 4k... don't bother with upconverting it will likely lead to other image artifacts.
I have a question. Sorry for being newbish. Why is this tv set psuedo 4k? Is it only because its hdmi 1.4 ? Also sharp lists Effective Resolution: Up to 3840 x 2160 Native Panel Resolution: 1920 x 1080, Full HDso what is the difference?
rongopongo is offline  
post #4744 of 4766 Unread 03-21-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jhughy2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by rongopongo View Post
I have a question. Sorry for being newbish. Why is this tv set psuedo 4k? Is it only because its hdmi 1.4 ? Also sharp lists Effective Resolution: Up to 3840 x 2160 Native Panel Resolution: 1920 x 1080, Full HDso what is the difference?
This is an older TV and was released before 4k TVs were around (besides a few Sony and Samsung models that were in the 4-6k range). Effective 4k is definitely not the same as Native 4k... older CRT model monitors used to have effective resolutions as well.

Long story short, this TV only has 2 million pixels regardless of how the pie is sliced (pixel splitting or whatever they call it). As you may know, a 4k TV has some 8 million pixels.
jhughy2010 is offline  
post #4745 of 4766 Unread 04-15-2016, 09:11 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundrog View Post
I am having problems with my LC-65LE645U, it is randomly rebooting while watching content.

Anyone else seeing this?

Watching a movie and the screen goes blank, sharp appears, and no single is displayed then finally it comes back on.

sorry i know this is old, and it might of been answered by someone...
i had this problem, and i found out my problem was the firmware updater
it keeps trying to update, saying there is an update.. but there isnt
so my fix was.. well.. disabling the internet on it.. and havent had a problem since.. tho ruins the fact of getting a smart tv
tinker87 is offline  
post #4746 of 4766 Unread 05-15-2016, 04:37 PM
Member
 
HDTVGCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: No.Va.
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok guys another question related to Sharp LC60sq15u and hdcp 2.2 4K.
That is, I know HDMI 1 input for 4K. I have Amazon Fire Tv 4K player and cannot get it to play 4K (menu in settings for Fire Tv states a 4K tv not connected).
Fire Tv needs hdcp 2.2 which this tv specs indicates it is compliant.
Using a HDMI 2.2 / 2.0 latest version HDMI cable.
I know at the time of purchase (Sept 2014) hdcp was beginning to change and this model has (supposedly) the latest version. I also know it's a quasi 4K tv purchased for 4K playback and 3D. As anyone come across this situation or have more facts about any updates or solutions. I do have the tv latest firmware installed (when bought and none since).
Any input is appreciated.

AVR-Yamaha RXA 3050 Spkrs-Martin Logan ESL,
Motion 8 Ctr, 4-Polk T15 Ceiling (Atmos/DTS:X),
4-Surround,Subs-Velodyne CHT-8/HSU VTF3 MKII
Game consoles-PS 1/2/3/4,Xbox/Xbox360/Xbox1
Disc players-UBDK8500/Tosh HD-DVD/PYE/Philips,
LG 65UH8500 Tv,Panamax Line Conditioner
HDTVGCL is offline  
post #4747 of 4766 Unread 05-15-2016, 04:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVGCL View Post
Ok guys another question related to Sharp LC60sq15u and hdcp 2.2 4K.
That is, I know HDMI 1 input for 4K. I have Amazon Fire Tv 4K player and cannot get it to play 4K (menu in settings for Fire Tv states a 4K tv not connected).
Fire Tv needs hdcp 2.2 which this tv specs indicates it is compliant.
Using a HDMI 2.2 / 2.0 latest version HDMI cable.
I know at the time of purchase (Sept 2014) hdcp was beginning to change and this model has (supposedly) the latest version. I also know it's a quasi 4K tv purchased for 4K playback and 3D. As anyone come across this situation or have more facts about any updates or solutions. I do have the tv latest firmware installed (when bought and none since).
Any input is appreciated.
Make sure you are using HDMI 1, others are 2.2 non compliant. Just one other thing is the stick connected directly to TV or via the AVR, if so the AVR would also have to be HDCP 2.2 compliant. Good luck.
blacktown is offline  
post #4748 of 4766 Unread 05-15-2016, 05:07 PM
Member
 
HDTVGCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: No.Va.
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktown View Post
Make sure you are using HDMI 1, others are 2.2 non compliant. Just one other thing is the stick connected directly to TV or via the AVR, if so the AVR would also have to be HDCP 2.2 compliant. Good luck.
Thanks for responding. When I got the Fire Tv 4K player, I connected to HDMI 1 and directly to the tv. That's the Fire Tv version like the Apple TV square and not the stick. Stick model not 4K.
Did not try through AVR but if I were to it is HDCP 2.2 compliant (latest Yamaha 3050 model,want to be future ready for true HDR 4K)
Additional input welcomed.

AVR-Yamaha RXA 3050 Spkrs-Martin Logan ESL,
Motion 8 Ctr, 4-Polk T15 Ceiling (Atmos/DTS:X),
4-Surround,Subs-Velodyne CHT-8/HSU VTF3 MKII
Game consoles-PS 1/2/3/4,Xbox/Xbox360/Xbox1
Disc players-UBDK8500/Tosh HD-DVD/PYE/Philips,
LG 65UH8500 Tv,Panamax Line Conditioner
HDTVGCL is offline  
post #4749 of 4766 Unread 05-16-2016, 08:26 AM
Member
 
tadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVGCL View Post
Thanks for responding. When I got the Fire Tv 4K player, I connected to HDMI 1 and directly to the tv. That's the Fire Tv version like the Apple TV square and not the stick. Stick model not 4K.
Did not try through AVR but if I were to it is HDCP 2.2 compliant (latest Yamaha 3050 model,want to be future ready for true HDR 4K)
Additional input welcomed.
I have a 80UQ17U that I get the same message when I try to play 4K content from Directv. I think the reason I get the error on Directv is that the TV does not match the 60fps requirement, not the resolution or 2.2 HDCP requirement. Does your Amazon fire have a FPS requirement?
tadam is offline  
post #4750 of 4766 Unread 05-16-2016, 09:14 AM
Member
 
HDTVGCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: No.Va.
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadam View Post
I have a 80UQ17U that I get the same message when I try to play 4K content from Directv. I think the reason I get the error on Directv is that the TV does not match the 60fps requirement, not the resolution or 2.2 HDCP requirement. Does your Amazon fire have a FPS requirement?
As per a description for product,
"The new 4K Fire TV supports a resolution of 3840 x 2160 (2160p UHD) at a frame rate of 30fps. It, of course, also supports a resolution of 1920 x 1080 (1080p HD) at a frame rate of 60fps. The important specification to key in on is the frame rate. The new Fire TV cannot display 4K video at 60fps. While it would be great if it could, here’s why it’s probably a good thing that it can’t."

Did not look at it from the frame rate point of view but I know some devices only will work at 30fps instead of 60fps for 4K.
But reading about the FireTv 4K its specs is 30fps.
Any one that can chime in on an answer is appreciated.

AVR-Yamaha RXA 3050 Spkrs-Martin Logan ESL,
Motion 8 Ctr, 4-Polk T15 Ceiling (Atmos/DTS:X),
4-Surround,Subs-Velodyne CHT-8/HSU VTF3 MKII
Game consoles-PS 1/2/3/4,Xbox/Xbox360/Xbox1
Disc players-UBDK8500/Tosh HD-DVD/PYE/Philips,
LG 65UH8500 Tv,Panamax Line Conditioner
HDTVGCL is offline  
post #4751 of 4766 Unread 05-16-2016, 10:24 AM
Member
 
Carlucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVGCL View Post
As per a description for product,
"The new 4K Fire TV supports a resolution of 3840 x 2160 (2160p UHD) at a frame rate of 30fps. It, of course, also supports a resolution of 1920 x 1080 (1080p HD) at a frame rate of 60fps. The important specification to key in on is the frame rate. The new Fire TV cannot display 4K video at 60fps. While it would be great if it could, here’s why it’s probably a good thing that it can’t."

Did not look at it from the frame rate point of view but I know some devices only will work at 30fps instead of 60fps for 4K.
But reading about the FireTv 4K its specs is 30fps.
Any one that can chime in on an answer is appreciated.
If it's any help to you, I have the Roku 4 and I can confirm that it does in fact work with the LC-70UQ17U. Connecting directly to HDMI 1, the Roku lets me choose 4k output, and the TV reports 2160 resolution. Not sure why the FireTV is not letting you, but I will try with my 4K FireTV and let you know.

One disappointment is that while the resolution is great, with the TV passing audio back to my AVR I am only able to get 2.0 sound. Can anyone confirm that these Sharp TVs will pass back a 5.1 signal via the optical audio out, from an HDMI input? I want to know it's possible before tinker further.
Carlucci is offline  
post #4752 of 4766 Unread 05-16-2016, 04:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlucci View Post
If it's any help to you, I have the Roku 4 and I can confirm that it does in fact work with the LC-70UQ17U. Connecting directly to HDMI 1, the Roku lets me choose 4k output, and the TV reports 2160 resolution. Not sure why the FireTV is not letting you, but I will try with my 4K FireTV and let you know.

One disappointment is that while the resolution is great, with the TV passing audio back to my AVR I am only able to get 2.0 sound. Can anyone confirm that these Sharp TVs will pass back a 5.1 signal via the optical audio out, from an HDMI input? I want to know it's possible before tinker further.
The Roku 4 outputs DD+, and as far as I know it can't be output via optical. The TV can output 5.1 (DD/DTS). I have my Roku directly connected to my AVR via HDMI and 5.1 is output.
blacktown is offline  
post #4753 of 4766 Unread 05-16-2016, 07:08 PM
Member
 
HDTVGCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: No.Va.
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok...here's the scoop. I connected again the FireTv 4K to the HDMI 1 input (2.2 compliant) after first initial installation from sometime ago when not seeing 4K.
I went and played (supposedly) 4K videos and displayed 1080P.
However, if I played the Man in the High Castle video in UHD, it DID display it as 2160P. So, it appears the TV CAN play back 4K material BUT so far only found this title playing at 4K.
Tried the other movies supposedly encoded in 4K but played in 1080P (Transformers, Rain Forest, etc).
If someone can confirm for me why this is the case, let me know. That is, there ought to be other 4K playable material (I know there's little out there for now) I could try finding more.
It may mean hooking it up to my receiver (RXA3050 2.2/2.0 compliant), I would get same effect (2160P - 4K) (would I change setting for video from Processed to Through signal?).
Right now the receiver has video upscale capability to 4K from a 1080P source (24FPS).
Looking closely at the Samsung K8500 and may indicate my TV can now play 4K UHD discs (I know it's not TRUE 4K for TV) but not HDR at this time. It's for another TV set with capability for it.
Sounds a little confusing but happy to clear up the air with more information.

AVR-Yamaha RXA 3050 Spkrs-Martin Logan ESL,
Motion 8 Ctr, 4-Polk T15 Ceiling (Atmos/DTS:X),
4-Surround,Subs-Velodyne CHT-8/HSU VTF3 MKII
Game consoles-PS 1/2/3/4,Xbox/Xbox360/Xbox1
Disc players-UBDK8500/Tosh HD-DVD/PYE/Philips,
LG 65UH8500 Tv,Panamax Line Conditioner
HDTVGCL is offline  
post #4754 of 4766 Unread 05-17-2016, 04:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVGCL View Post
Ok...here's the scoop. I connected again the FireTv 4K to the HDMI 1 input (2.2 compliant) after first initial installation from sometime ago when not seeing 4K.
I went and played (supposedly) 4K videos and displayed 1080P.
However, if I played the Man in the High Castle video in UHD, it DID display it as 2160P. So, it appears the TV CAN play back 4K material BUT so far only found this title playing at 4K.
Tried the other movies supposedly encoded in 4K but played in 1080P (Transformers, Rain Forest, etc).
If someone can confirm for me why this is the case, let me know. That is, there ought to be other 4K playable material (I know there's little out there for now) I could try finding more.
It may mean hooking it up to my receiver (RXA3050 2.2/2.0 compliant), I would get same effect (2160P - 4K) (would I change setting for video from Processed to Through signal?).
Right now the receiver has video upscale capability to 4K from a 1080P source (24FPS).
Looking closely at the Samsung K8500 and may indicate my TV can now play 4K UHD discs (I know it's not TRUE 4K for TV) but not HDR at this time. It's for another TV set with capability for it.
Sounds a little confusing but happy to clear up the air with more information.
I think the UHD bluray should play fine as all the movies right now are 24fps. It should take advantage of the extra colour depth. I've played "4k mastered" blu-ray disks such as Fury and they look fantastic, activating the x.v colour mode on the TV. Please let us know your experience with the player should you purchase it.
blacktown is offline  
post #4755 of 4766 Unread 05-18-2016, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jhughy2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVGCL View Post
Ok...here's the scoop. I connected again the FireTv 4K to the HDMI 1 input (2.2 compliant) after first initial installation from sometime ago when not seeing 4K.
I went and played (supposedly) 4K videos and displayed 1080P.
However, if I played the Man in the High Castle video in UHD, it DID display it as 2160P. So, it appears the TV CAN play back 4K material BUT so far only found this title playing at 4K.
Tried the other movies supposedly encoded in 4K but played in 1080P (Transformers, Rain Forest, etc).
If someone can confirm for me why this is the case, let me know. That is, there ought to be other 4K playable material (I know there's little out there for now) I could try finding more.
It may mean hooking it up to my receiver (RXA3050 2.2/2.0 compliant), I would get same effect (2160P - 4K) (would I change setting for video from Processed to Through signal?).
Right now the receiver has video upscale capability to 4K from a 1080P source (24FPS).
Looking closely at the Samsung K8500 and may indicate my TV can now play 4K UHD discs (I know it's not TRUE 4K for TV) but not HDR at this time. It's for another TV set with capability for it.
Sounds a little confusing but happy to clear up the air with more information.
Here's what I speculate is going on. The TV reports an "effective" resolution of 2160p and a "native" resolution of 1080p to the video hardware processor on the AFTV side. Like my computer (I use an HTPC pretty extensively with my set), the video card favors the native resolution over any other supported resolutions. Since this faux 4k TV isn't the real deal I suspect the AFTV is treating it as a 1080p screen (HDCP 2.2 compliant or not).

Furthermore, I've done some pretty extensive testing with 2160p native material on this set (utilizing HTPC) and have compared it with both 1080p settings and the faux 4k setting. I can tell you without a doubt that this set looks no better when the input signal received is 2160p. In fact, I believe it performed poorly in comparisson (even at 30Hz). This set is 1080p regardless of how to slice a pixel. I'd suggest you do as I've done (over a year ago) and accept it is a 1080p set and be happy
jhughy2010 is offline  
post #4756 of 4766 Unread 05-18-2016, 08:19 PM
Member
 
HDTVGCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: No.Va.
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for a candid and lucid explanation of this tv.
At the time of purchase, I needed a compatible 3D set for my dvd's and 4K playback (even with knowledge it wasn't a true 4K) at a reasonable price.
At the time I paid about $1200 (Sept 2014) and thought it would follow me good for awhile. I've recently upgraded AVR, speakers and so on and want the visuals as best as can be (4K HDR). Just a matter of time on upgrading TV set and get a 4K player to compliment set up. I know prices and new models (tv and players) will start appearing and may be in my favor (saving cash) for waiting.
jhughy2010 likes this.

AVR-Yamaha RXA 3050 Spkrs-Martin Logan ESL,
Motion 8 Ctr, 4-Polk T15 Ceiling (Atmos/DTS:X),
4-Surround,Subs-Velodyne CHT-8/HSU VTF3 MKII
Game consoles-PS 1/2/3/4,Xbox/Xbox360/Xbox1
Disc players-UBDK8500/Tosh HD-DVD/PYE/Philips,
LG 65UH8500 Tv,Panamax Line Conditioner
HDTVGCL is offline  
post #4757 of 4766 Unread 05-19-2016, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jhughy2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVGCL View Post
Thanks for a candid and lucid explanation of this tv.
At the time of purchase, I needed a compatible 3D set for my dvd's and 4K playback (even with knowledge it wasn't a true 4K) at a reasonable price.
At the time I paid about $1200 (Sept 2014) and thought it would follow me good for awhile. I've recently upgraded AVR, speakers and so on and want the visuals as best as can be (4K HDR). Just a matter of time on upgrading TV set and get a 4K player to compliment set up. I know prices and new models (tv and players) will start appearing and may be in my favor (saving cash) for waiting.
I was in a similar situation. When I purchased this TV I was in dire need of a new one and wanted to spend no more than $1500 for the time being and to "get by". In hindsight, I should have settled for a 60" Vizio at Costco for less than $1000. But, I had hopes that the faux 4k would really pay off and it would be something to hold me over while the technology and standardization "smoothed" out. I've just passed the two year mark and have reached a state of acceptance and contentedness as I feel it would be waste at this point to upgrade for the sole purpose to gain resolution. Properly calibrated, it is actually a decent TV. I hope it lasts me 10 years and another move.
jhughy2010 is offline  
post #4758 of 4766 Unread 05-19-2016, 06:07 PM
Member
 
HDTVGCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: No.Va.
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I feel your pain-jhughy2010. I bought the tv to serve 2 purposes, one for 4K experience and the other for playing back my 3D movies. My Panasonic purchased back in 2006 served me well but after replacing 2 bulbs, time for a lcd/led.
Bought a LG 55" (still serving me well) and going strong.
Have major collection of movies and want to get the best visuals for the cash at hand. Will wait and see how it all plays out.

AVR-Yamaha RXA 3050 Spkrs-Martin Logan ESL,
Motion 8 Ctr, 4-Polk T15 Ceiling (Atmos/DTS:X),
4-Surround,Subs-Velodyne CHT-8/HSU VTF3 MKII
Game consoles-PS 1/2/3/4,Xbox/Xbox360/Xbox1
Disc players-UBDK8500/Tosh HD-DVD/PYE/Philips,
LG 65UH8500 Tv,Panamax Line Conditioner
HDTVGCL is offline  
post #4759 of 4766 Unread 05-20-2016, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jhughy2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVGCL View Post
I feel your pain-jhughy2010. I bought the tv to serve 2 purposes, one for 4K experience and the other for playing back my 3D movies. My Panasonic purchased back in 2006 served me well but after replacing 2 bulbs, time for a lcd/led.
Bought a LG 55" (still serving me well) and going strong.
Have major collection of movies and want to get the best visuals for the cash at hand. Will wait and see how it all plays out.
Yes I agree... my next display purchase will be a nice 4k computer monitor.
jhughy2010 is offline  
post #4760 of 4766 Unread 05-20-2016, 04:39 PM
Member
 
HDTVGCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: No.Va.
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok...here goes another question.
Did get the K8500 player. Ready for future purchase of tv with HDR.
Connected directly to tv (HDMI 1) and BD played back in upscale 4K (2160P). Ok so far.
But when I have HDMI cable out from AVR (3050) to tv (HDMI 1), I lose upscaling to 4K if I use direct in 3050 menu.
That is, I thought that the signal from K8500 will be upscale to 4K using the player and the receiver just passes signal through. But if I use processing in 3050 menu, it will upscale to 4K. Is it the receiver doing it or the K8500.

What I need to know is how to set it up in the 3050 menu and the K8500. That is again if I use deep color and whatever needs to be configured.
Again, thanks for any input received as I am sure quite a few of you have this combination.

AVR-Yamaha RXA 3050 Spkrs-Martin Logan ESL,
Motion 8 Ctr, 4-Polk T15 Ceiling (Atmos/DTS:X),
4-Surround,Subs-Velodyne CHT-8/HSU VTF3 MKII
Game consoles-PS 1/2/3/4,Xbox/Xbox360/Xbox1
Disc players-UBDK8500/Tosh HD-DVD/PYE/Philips,
LG 65UH8500 Tv,Panamax Line Conditioner
HDTVGCL is offline  
post #4761 of 4766 Unread 05-21-2016, 05:19 AM
Member
 
HDTVGCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: No.Va.
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Tried hooking video cable for HDMI to tv and audio HDMI audio cable to 3050.
What I got is tv reported 2160P but the audio portion kept cutting in and out.
Using compliant HDMI cables. Is there some specific setting?
If I just use HDMI video cable to 3050, works fine but still trying to figure out if it's my 3050 or K8500 upscaling. If there could be a way to put in writing the correct setting for video / audio using 3050 and K8500, it would be great. Unless there's a thread already, please point it out.
Also, Amazon prime playback of videos, I read there may be issues (lock ups), etc is it true? Tried playing a video with app but hung after a few minutes.

AVR-Yamaha RXA 3050 Spkrs-Martin Logan ESL,
Motion 8 Ctr, 4-Polk T15 Ceiling (Atmos/DTS:X),
4-Surround,Subs-Velodyne CHT-8/HSU VTF3 MKII
Game consoles-PS 1/2/3/4,Xbox/Xbox360/Xbox1
Disc players-UBDK8500/Tosh HD-DVD/PYE/Philips,
LG 65UH8500 Tv,Panamax Line Conditioner
HDTVGCL is offline  
post #4762 of 4766 Unread 05-22-2016, 07:26 AM
Member
 
HDTVGCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: No.Va.
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok...part of solution if any others have it. The audio dropping in and out probably a timing issue. That is, when my harmony ultimate would turn on all 3 components (tv,AVR,k8500), audio issues. However, if I turn on the tv and AVR but wait a minute or so and turn on k8500, I would not have drop outs. Trying to set up remote for command to delay start of k8500. Now I have set to only start tv and AVR and use k8500 remote.

Did try (bought) 4K movies and played (using k8500) through tv without issues. Got atmos decoding properly. Eventually when I can leap into another tv, it will have true 4K playback, HDR and 3D capable (for my large collection of 3D movies).

AVR-Yamaha RXA 3050 Spkrs-Martin Logan ESL,
Motion 8 Ctr, 4-Polk T15 Ceiling (Atmos/DTS:X),
4-Surround,Subs-Velodyne CHT-8/HSU VTF3 MKII
Game consoles-PS 1/2/3/4,Xbox/Xbox360/Xbox1
Disc players-UBDK8500/Tosh HD-DVD/PYE/Philips,
LG 65UH8500 Tv,Panamax Line Conditioner
HDTVGCL is offline  
post #4763 of 4766 Unread 05-25-2016, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jhughy2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVGCL View Post
Ok...part of solution if any others have it. The audio dropping in and out probably a timing issue. That is, when my harmony ultimate would turn on all 3 components (tv,AVR,k8500), audio issues. However, if I turn on the tv and AVR but wait a minute or so and turn on k8500, I would not have drop outs. Trying to set up remote for command to delay start of k8500. Now I have set to only start tv and AVR and use k8500 remote.

Did try (bought) 4K movies and played (using k8500) through tv without issues. Got atmos decoding properly. Eventually when I can leap into another tv, it will have true 4K playback, HDR and 3D capable (for my large collection of 3D movies).
Good to see you got fixed what you had issues with. I don't spend much time on the forum as of late... it causes me to want Anyhow, I'm not familiar with Yamaha AVRs, but I assume they are similar to the others in that you can simply have the AVR "pass" the video unprocessed to the television for decoding and processing. This is the "passthrough" setting on my Pioneer.

The last thing that I want to point out is that there isn't going to be any "upscaling" going on when you are playing a UHD movie on the K8500. Remember, upscaling only occurs when the television receives an inferior resolution picture than the television can play. This was highly talked about back when the first 720p TVs came out and there was only DVDs in 480i on the market. In that scenario, the DVD player or the TV would either try and upscale the picture to meet the TVs resolution. In your particular situation though, the TV is going to be receiving an 2160p signal and it will likely be down-scaling the image (because the TV is 1080p).
jhughy2010 is offline  
post #4764 of 4766 Unread 05-27-2016, 08:09 AM
Member
 
HDTVGCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: No.Va.
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok...pulled the trigger and got the LG 65UH8500.
Sent the LC60sq15u downstairs for the wife (was using a LG 55" 3D model).
Got it from HHGREGG using 10% coupon and some cash for $1700.
Got the same set up (cables to components) and waiting to tweak image.

Granted, video looks great but if there is a link or someone with calibration settings, please pass it along. Going through my dvd's, BD and so on for observations of video differences.
Thanks again for those users that have been responding.
jhughy2010 likes this.

AVR-Yamaha RXA 3050 Spkrs-Martin Logan ESL,
Motion 8 Ctr, 4-Polk T15 Ceiling (Atmos/DTS:X),
4-Surround,Subs-Velodyne CHT-8/HSU VTF3 MKII
Game consoles-PS 1/2/3/4,Xbox/Xbox360/Xbox1
Disc players-UBDK8500/Tosh HD-DVD/PYE/Philips,
LG 65UH8500 Tv,Panamax Line Conditioner
HDTVGCL is offline  
post #4765 of 4766 Unread 06-01-2016, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jhughy2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVGCL View Post
Ok...pulled the trigger and got the LG 65UH8500.
Really great choice! I'm looking forward to the day I get the green light to replace the bedroom TV (32" Vizio) with the Sharp 60" SQ and then grab a 70" 4K HDR for the main room. It'll be one heck of an upgrade. I'm going to try to be content until next fall and convince her that the current receiver isn't compatible with 4K HDR TV's that way I can grab the current generation Denon x4?00w receiver.
jhughy2010 is offline  
post #4766 of 4766 Unread 06-21-2016, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jsmiddleton4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 5,972
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 98
What does a 4K source input actually do with this TV?

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/Home...LC60UQ17U.aspx


Does the TV downscale it?

Does it have to be the higher resolution to get the TV to kick in the Revelation upscaler to push the TV to what I'm assuming is 2160?

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
jsmiddleton4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
picture , Sharp 80 Inch Le650 Class Aquos Smart Led Tv , Sharp Aquos Quattron 70 Inch Class 3d Tv 2 Pairs Of Active 3d Glassses , Sharp He Lc 70ud1u 70 Inch Aquos 4k Ultra Hd 3d Smart Led Tv , smartcentral
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off