AVS Forum banner
570K views 5K replies 452 participants last post by  Stephen Sutton 
#1 ·
At CES today (1/6/14), Sharp unveiled its new line-up of AQUOS TVs. I'll summarize first and then include the press release:

The Everything Line - Sharp AQUOS 4K Ultra HD Series - UD Line:

60" or 70" (with possibly more screen sizes to be announced later in the year)

Native 4K Display

Upsampling of HD to 2160p

HD content upscaled

SuperBright Technology

4 HDMI 2.0 inputs

THX 4K certified

3D ready with 2 Bluetooth glasses included

New SmartCentral platform (SmartCentral 3)

MSRP = $5K for 60" and $6K for 70"

The High End 4K on HD Display - Sharp AQUOS Quattron+ (Q+) - UQ Line

60", 70" and 80"

Quattron Plus for using extra subpixels to improve the resolution of an HD display (extra Green and Yellow pels)

HD content upscaled

SuperBright Technology

Able to handle 4K/24 (does not indicate HDMI 2.0 for higher frame rates)

THX certified

3D ready with 2 Bluetooth glasses included

MSRP of $3K for 60"; unknown for 70" and $6K for 80"

Model numbers: 60": LC-60UQ17U; 70: LC-70UQ17U; 80: LC-80UQ17U

Reputable dealer street price in Feb 2014: 60" - $2497; 70" - $3297; 80" - $5497

The "Regular" 4K on HD Display - Sharp AQUOS Quattron+ (Q+) - SQ Line

60" and 70"

Quattron Plus for using extra subpixels to improve the resolution of an HD display (extra Green and Yellow pels)

HD content upscaled

3D Ready (No glasses included)

Able to handle 4K/24 (does not indicate HDMI 2.0 for higher frame rates)

MSRP of $2.3K for 60" and $3.1K for 70"

Model numbers: 60": LC-60SQ15U; 70": LC-70SQ15U

Reputable dealer street price in Feb 2014: 60" - $1997; 70" - $2699

Medium Level HD Display - Sharp AQUOS Quattron (Q) - EQ Line

60" and 70"

MSRP of $1.7K for 60" and $2.7K for 70"

Model numbers: 60": LC60EQ10U; 70": LC70EQ10U

Reputable dealer street price in Feb 2014: 60" - $1397; 70" - $2197

All Big Sizes of HD Displays - Sharp AQUOS HD Series - LE650 Line

60", 70", 80" and 90"

90" Only 3D Ready

Older SmartCentral platform

MSRP of $1.3K for 60"; $9K for 90" and unknown for other sizes

Model numbers: 60": LC-60LE650U; 70": LC-70LE650U; 80": LC-80LE650U; 90": LC-90LE650U

Reputable dealer street price in Feb 2014: 60" - $997; 70" - $1697

Video summary of Quattron+ technology:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDiG6gBDVb4

Video of Sharp 2014 announcement at CES:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QawPm3E7bfE

Video providing summary of Sharp 2014 Line-Up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLA0vq7A9hA

Here's the original Sharp press release:

Sharp® Unveils Four Series of Large-Screen Sharp AQUOS® LED TVs With Cutting-Edge Picture Technology & New SmartCentral Smart TV Platform

INTRODUCES SHARP AQUOS QUATTRON+ (Q+), THE HIGHEST RESOLUTION FULL HD TV AVAILABLE

LAS VEGAS, NV (January 6, 2014) – Miss nothing, experience everything, with 2014 Sharp® AQUOS® LED Smart TVs. Sharp today unveiled its comprehensive 2014 TV line-up with cutting- edge picture technology, including the new AQUOS Quattron+ (Q+) series of LED televisions, the highest resolution Full HD TV, and a new SmartCentral smart TV platform.

The 2014 Sharp AQUOS large-screen LED Smart TV line up consists of four series: The THX® 4K certified flagship AQUOS 4K series; AQUOS Q+, the highest resolution Full HD TV; AQUOS Quattron (Q) which offers 33 percent more subpixels than a standard HD TV; and AQUOS HD, which offers a breathtaking 1080p HD display. In 2014 Sharp will offer 19 different AQUOS LED TVs 60” and larger.

“Our new line-up of AQUOS TVs provides customers with more higher resolution choices than ever before,” said John Herrington, President, Sharp Electronics Marketing Company of America (SEMCA). “Not only does Sharp manufacture superior 4K and Full HD sets in a variety of large- screen sizes, our Q series and our new Q+ offerings provide viewers with even more resolution options, including picture quality never seen before from a 1080p panel."

Introducing AQUOS Quattron+(Q+) Series: The Game Changer

Unveiled at CES 2014, AQUOS Q+ Series LED TVs, with Quattron and Revelation technologies, are the highest resolution Full HD TVs available today. Q+ televisions feature Sharp’s exclusive Quattron panel and Revelation technology, which divides each pixel, creating two pixels from one, to deliver 16 million subpixels. That’s an astounding 10 million more than conventional Full HDTVs. Q+ TVs have built-in upscaling, so everything you watch is sharper and more vivid. Q+ TVs are also future-ready -- they are the only Full HD TVs that can play 4K content, delivering a UHD experience. Since Q+ TVs are built using a 1080p panel, they can be priced at almost half today’s premium 4K TVs. The Q+ series will be available in 60”, 70”, and 80” class diagonal screen sizes and in two versions: the UQ and SQ lines. The UQ line will boast premium features such as, AquoMotion 960, Super Bright™, premium design, 3D with 2 pairs of glasses, powerful 35W audio, and Bluetooth. The SQ line will be available in two screen sizes (60” and 70” class).

Picture quality certified by THX

Sharp now boasts THX and THX 4K certification for the UQ line in the AQUOS Q+ series and the AQUOS 4K Ultra HD series respectively. Synonymous with great cinema-quality sound for decades, THX now sets the bar for picture quality for the world’s top TV manufacturers. Thirty test categories, with up to 400 bench tests and more than 1000 data points ensure that only the best TVs make the cut.

Sharp’s SmartCentral™ platform: Truly Intuitive TV

Sharp will also debut a new SmartCentral™ smart TV platform. The new SmartCentral lets viewers search once and discover more, all from a single remote. Access your cable, satellite, and streaming services through the SmartCentral interactive guide and search across live TV and built in streaming services by title, genre, time and popularity. It’s so intelligent it will even help you discover new content by providing recommendations based on your preferences. No more launching individual apps to find the shows you want to watch.

All the best apps are available on SmartCentral. From instant access to movies with Netflix, Hulu Plus and Vudu, to videos with YouTube®, music with Pandora® and Rhapsody®, social with Facebook and gaming—what you love is only a click away.

With the SmartCentral mobile app, available for free for iOS and Android, viewers can connect smartphones and tablets to Sharp AQUOS TVs to access, control and share content, search and discover and share videos, pictures and music stored on your smart device.

All Sharp AQUOS Smart LED TVs also come with built in web browses and TV/Web split screen functionality, allowing the viewer to watch TV on one half of the screen, while simultaneously browsing the web.

Features and design to fit your life

AQUOS TVs are designed with high-quality finishes on thin bezels, made of premium materials, like the brushed aluminum used on UQ and 4K models, creating a modern look and feel. The TVs allow for multiple mounting possibilities and are efficiently designed to squeeze all the beautiful picture quality you want into a slim profile.

Turn it off, and the TV is transformed into a work of art. Sharp’s exclusive Wallpaper Mode lets you display virtually any image you choose on the AQUOS screen at a reduced light level that mirrors museum conditions when the TV is powered off, so your screen blends beautifully into your room’s décor. All at extremely low power.

Even the energy efficiency of Sharp TVs is extraordinary. Sharp AQUOS HD*, Q and Q+ TVs are

Energy Star® qualified.

Sharp AQUOS TV Line-up Details

Sharp AQUOS 4K Ultra HD Series - UD Line:

• 60”, 70” Class Screen Sizes

• Dark Silver Brushed Solid Aluminum Bezel

• 4K Ultra HD 2160p

• Built in Upscaler for HD Content

• SmartCentral 3 Smart TV platform with Miracast

• AquoMotion 240 with 120Hz Panel

• Active 3D with Two Bluetooth 3D Glasses Included

• 4 HDMI Inputs (all 4K Ready and HDMI 2.0 complaint) and 2 USB Ports

• THX 4K Certified

• Duo Bass Sub-Woofer with 35W Audio

• Dual Core Processor

• Wallpaper Mode

• TV/Web Split Screen

• MSRP $4,999.99 - $5,999.99

Sharp AQUOS Quattron+ (Q+) Series - UQ Line:

• 60”, 70”, 80” Class Screen Sizes

• Titanium-Brushed Solid Aluminum Bezel

• Highest Resolution Full HD with Quattron + Revelation Technologies

• SmartCentral 3 with Miracast

• SuperBright Technology

• AquoMotion 960 with 240Hz Panel

• Active 3D with Two Bluetooth 3D Glasses Supplied

• 4 HDMI Inputs (4K Ready) and 2 USB Ports

• THX Certified

• 15W Sub-Woofer

• Bluetooth Audio

• Dual Core Processor

• Wallpaper Mode

• TV/Web Split Screen

• MSRP $2,999.99 - $5,999.99

Sharp AQUOS Quattron+ (Q+) Series - SQ Line:

• Silver-Brushed Plastic Thin Bezel

• Highest Resolution Full HD with Quattron + Revelation Technologies

• 240Hz Panel

• 3D Ready

• 4 HDMI Inputs (4K Ready) and 2 USB Ports

• Bluetooth Audio

• Dual Core Processor

• Wallpaper Mode

• TV/Web Split Screen

• MSRP $2,299.99 - $3,099.99

Sharp AQUOS Quattron (Q) EQ Series:

• Black Plastic Thin Bezel

• Full HD 1080p with Quattron Technology

• 240Hz Panel

• 4 HDMI Inputs and 2 USB Ports

• Dual Core Processor

• Wallpaper Mode

• TV/Web Split Screen

• MSRP $1,699.99 - $2,699.99

Sharp AQUOS HD Series - LE650 Line:

• 60”, 70”, 80”, 90” Class Screen Sizes

• Slim Design

• Full HD 1080p

• SmartCentral Smart TV platform

• 120Hz Panel

• 2D / 3D with glasses (90”)

• 4 HDMI Inputs and 2 USB Ports

• Dual Core Processor

• Wallpaper Mode

• TV/Web Split Screen

• MSRP $1,299.99 - $8,999.99

Sharp will be shipping AQUOS HD, Q and Q+ models to retailers nationwide in Spring 2014.

For More Information

Check out the Sharp AQUOS TV line-up, including the new Q+, at the unveiling during the 2014 International CES at SharpUSA.com/CESnews .

* AQUOS HD 90" class is not EnergyStar qualified.

See less See more
#4,779 ·
Apple TV 4K

Finally feeding my 70U a steady diet of 4k programming via an Apple TV 4k after reading this article.
https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-tv-4k-no-longer-forces-you-to-watch-everything-in-hdr/

To make it sing, here are the video setting inside the Apple TV 4K menu.

Format. 4K SDR (30Hz) (It will play in HDR mode but will display a hopelessly bright image)
HDMI Output. YCbCr
Chroma 4:4:4
Match Content. Both Dynamic Range and Frame Rate set to On

Unlike other 4K responders I couldn't be happier ... literally a fresh breath of life for this old dog TV set.

#4,782 ·
My 2014 aquos 80 inch 17u is still going very strong. Now that many tv’s are starting to stream in 1080p instead of 1080i I might start exploring the best 4K tv I can find.

#4,783 ·
I got a 17u from 2014 and had my first problem today. This thread seems dead... am I the last person still using this great tv? Lol.
I had a only green screen. I explored a bit and found out that it seems the hdmi input 1 is done. I changed my input to hdmi 2 and I was back in business. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a way to get hdmi 1 back working? Thanks!

steve

#4,785 ·
Man that’s so sad. I bought a Samsung Q80T (Just the 55 inch) for my new basement and I swear my 2014 sharp aquos 17u is still the best picture in the house. It’s still as clear and prestine as ever. I read that the green issue could be a ribbon cable inside the tv that has gotten dusty and that it can be fixed but I’m no handy man and I’ll stick with what I got (the hdmi input 2) until that goes. I’m going to be really sad when this tv dies. One it was a great tv and two I’ll have to replace it with another and that will be costly since it’s a 80 inch tv but it’s perfect in my 20x20 room.

question: what have you guys purchased as your replacement to this tv??? Are you happy???. I know the hisenseis using the sharp aquos technology now. I always liked sharp because of the brightness. Let me know! Thank you!
Steve

#4,786 ·
Only had the tv for 6 years too I guess this model overall ended up being a lemon?

#4,787 ·
My 15u is still trucking as a tv in my gaming loft. Still looks awesome, it got replaced last year with a 75" Vizio PQX.

#4,788 ·
I was going to get a M series Vizio 55 inch vizio for my basement but there was a delay on the 2021’s coming in so I went with the Samsung q80t as I wanted a tv for the basement that was next gen ready for gaming... hdmi 2.1 etc. how do you like the vizio compared to the sharp? At 1999 it’s a lot cheaper than what I paid for my sharp back in the day. I might look into a oled vizio too.

#4,790 ·
We like it very much. Great brightness, and awesome blacks. Some banding with very bright uniform scenes, but otherwise very happy with it. Picked it up from Costco for $1500+tax when it was on sale for black friday. For the money it's very hard to beat. TCL 6 series was another short list contender, but the 75" wasn't available then.

#4,789 ·
I have a LC-60EQ10U installed in my family room for 6 years with no problems.
I have the previous model year's LC-80LE844U installed in my home theater system for 7 years without a problem. The picture still looks great.....especially the 3D
I was sorry to see them sell their assets to Hisense but it looks like there is hope they'll return.
See this news item: The Relationship Between Hisense and Sharp America

#4,791 ·
I have a LC-60EQ10U installed in my family room for 6 years with no problems.
I have the previous model year's LC-80LE844U installed in my home theater system for 7 years without a problem. The picture still looks great.....especially the 3D
I was sorry to see them sell their assets to Hisense but it looks like there is hope they'll return.
See this news item: The Relationship Between Hisense and Sharp America
good to know. Yeah my 80 inch 17u in my family room since April 2014 is going strong minus hdmi port 1 showing a green screen. The overall picture on 1080 blows away my new Samsung Q80T in my opinion. I’ll definitely look into another sharp if they get back into the market. Hopefully at a time when people are buying up 8k’s I can get a top of the line 4K at a discount much like I did with my 1080P sharp back in 2014 when people were buying 4k’s for no reason. Most broadcasts on tv aren’t even 1080P 6 six later lol. Most are only in 1080i

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.