Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 3636 Old 03-31-2014, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlwiz1 View Post

You will NEVER regret going larger, but most certainly WILL regret not going large enough. 80 uq all day long. Its what I plan on getting (hopefully from Cleveland Plasma!)
That's what I'm thinking. I've tested the 70" version for gaming and movies and it's pretty solid. It didn't feel like the gaming input lag was at 50ms like previously stated in this thread. It felt like it was closer to 40ms to be honest. I'm really not worried about movies. I've seen a couple 4k movies and it was tough to see the difference on the 65" Sony, mainly because it was Spiderman and it was very fast paced. The main concern I had was for gaming and sports.

My room is a dedicated theater room. I'm running MartinLogan Motion 40's with 7.1 ML's throughout. I have a Denon X4000 running the system and an Arcam pre-amp. I also have an Oppo and a Furman power filter. With theater seating as well, I'm just one piece short. I had a 65" 1080p Sony before. The size wasn't bad, but for the same price I can go 15" bigger. I'm leaning 80" Sharp though.
lgspencer and tlwiz1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 3636 Old 03-31-2014, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic13 View Post

I am trying to decide between the 65" 4k displays or the 80" Sharp that just came out. I sit about 12 feet away and it is a dim lit room. I mainly am going to be watching sports, playing video games and watching movies. Please help me out!

4k would be a waste at that size and distance. You will barely see the advantages of 1080p at 12 ft with the 80". http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/09/1080p-charted-viewing-distance-to-screen-size/
post #1353 of 3636 Old 03-31-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

4k would be a waste at that size and distance. You will barely see the advantages of 1080p at 12 ft with the 80". http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/09/1080p-charted-viewing-distance-to-screen-size/
I measured out the viewing distance and it's almost 15 ft.
post #1354 of 3636 Old 03-31-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

That's the great thing about these Sharp's, basically the 4K features are free.......... When last years 857U and 757U came out, they where at these same prices we have today on the UQ and SQ........
tlwiz1 likes this.
post #1355 of 3636 Old 03-31-2014, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlwiz1 View Post

You will NEVER regret going larger, but most certainly WILL regret not going large enough. 80 uq all day long. Its what I plan on getting (hopefully from Cleveland Plasma!)

Agreed. The different between a 65" and 80" TV is huge. 51% more surface area to be exact.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Ascend Acoustics Towers (NrT)
Ascend Horizon Center (NrT)
Definitive Technology Surrounds BP1.2X
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #1356 of 3636 Old 03-31-2014, 07:11 PM

So do you guys feel like these Sharps will do good with 4k? I won't ever build a 4k gaming machine so that's not a big deal, but if 4k movies start coming out, will these perform well? Even though I'm far away, I really don't want to mess up this purchase.
post #1357 of 3636 Old 03-31-2014, 09:08 PM

Liked: 11
Does anyone with a 60 SQ notice a lack of depth in the 2d picture due to the semi matte screen?
post #1358 of 3636 Old 03-31-2014, 10:46 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellojello View Post

I guess its YMMV and luck. Best Buy in store just shot me down. For Amazon.com, it depends if the agent will catch the white glove service or not. Maybe I should have just keep tried calling in and get someone else. Oh well, I just kept my order with Pauls TV.

Sorry for my late response. Totally YMMV and lucky that the matched it for me. The local Best Buy price matched the Pauls price despite no local Pauls store in my area. I've been a loyal Best Buy customer for many years so they've certainly made their money from me. I regret nothing! smile.gif
post #1359 of 3636 Old 03-31-2014, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelexip View Post

Movie mode, film mode off, 120hz high, resolution enhancement mode 1, clear processing off, active contrast off, digital noise reduction off. Are you using a USB 2.0 stick, an external hard drive, something else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post

No. THANKS! :-) Headed back to the store....

With some encouragement from pixelexip and his settings I went back to Fry's for one more try with the 70 SQ. Unfortunately I didn't get what I wanted.

Using 120 Hz High motion setting, etc. I saw about the same motion issues as before. I tried all the various settings, and the BEST motion performance came with motion control OFF. Also, I saw a general flatness and lack of detail. The closeup of the colonel's face after he turns around is usually stunning with fine pores and a sheen to his skin. Instead I saw flat pancake makeup (posterization). Clear Picture on HIGH improved these issues quite a bit. The color seemed undersaturated, so I boosted the color setting a bit. I'm not a saturation freak. I usually run what the color tests tell me is correct. This seemed to need a boost. Often Movie mode is muted. Standard has more punch and Dynamic is over the top. This is even more so for the SQ as Dynamic mode, whether "fixed" or not has color at 100% and non adjustable. In this case, Standard seemed to have more motion artifacts than Movie. Maybe the lack of adjustable dejudder is playing a role. When the yellow truck rolls by Jake, the leading edge of the truck bed over the cab stutters, showing ghosts (double-image), for example.

Maybe a real calibration would alleviate what I consider a flat, undersaturated image exhibiting some posterization. But it's unusual to see this issue out of the box and not much improved with some common tweaks. I ran HD709 from my flash drive making sure brightness and contrast were at least correct and teh grayscale didn't have gross color bias. Note I saw the same problems on another set at a different store. Also, when I got home I ran the motion files again on my Sammy. No flatness or posterization and I have color at 46, below the 50 default, and contrast at 97 out of 100 (good according to HD709, Spears & Munsil, WoW!).

I hate to report this. The SQ seems like a screaming bargain, especially with the recent Pauls TV discounts. I had the 70SQ in the cart for checkout many times over the last few weeks. And there are many happy SQ owners here posting nice looking screenshots. But I saw what I saw. Am I too sensitive to motion artifacts? I don't think so. I've got a cheap ass old 46" Sammy CCFL lit LCD. For 3 months I had a cheap ass Vizio 70" LED edge lit LCD that I was happy with (except for a problem with small white spots appearing on the screen after a month). Motion has not been an issue with either of those TVs.

I'd really like to have one of these at home for a few days and run through a meter calibration and figure out why I am not seeing what I expected to see with this TV. Fry's does have a good return policy, but I don't want to abuse it. I used to do that when I was reviewing computer graphics cards online as a hobby in the late 90s. It landed me a job in the industry. Thank you, Fry's :-)
post #1360 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

With some encouragement from pixelexip and his settings I went back to Fry's for one more try with the 70 SQ. Unfortunately I didn't get what I wanted.

Using 120 Hz High motion setting, etc. I saw about the same motion issues as before. I tried all the various settings, and the BEST motion performance came with motion control OFF. Also, I saw a general flatness and lack of detail. The closeup of the colonel's face after he turns around is usually stunning with fine pores and a sheen to his skin. Instead I saw flat pancake makeup (posterization). Clear Picture on HIGH improved these issues quite a bit. The color seemed undersaturated, so I boosted the color setting a bit. I'm not a saturation freak. I usually run what the color tests tell me is correct. This seemed to need a boost. Often Movie mode is muted. Standard has more punch and Dynamic is over the top. This is even more so for the SQ as Dynamic mode, whether "fixed" or not has color at 100% and non adjustable. In this case, Standard seemed to have more motion artifacts than Movie. Maybe the lack of adjustable dejudder is playing a role. When the yellow truck rolls by Jake, the leading edge of the truck bed over the cab stutters, showing ghosts (double-image), for example.

Maybe a real calibration would alleviate what I consider a flat, undersaturated image exhibiting some posterization. But it's unusual to see this issue out of the box and not much improved with some common tweaks. I ran HD709 from my flash drive making sure brightness and contrast were at least correct and teh grayscale didn't have gross color bias. Note I saw the same problems on another set at a different store. Also, when I got home I ran the motion files again on my Sammy. No flatness or posterization and I have color at 46, below the 50 default, and contrast at 97 out of 100 (good according to HD709, Spears & Munsil, WoW!).

I hate to report this. The SQ seems like a screaming bargain, especially with the recent Pauls TV discounts. I had the 70SQ in the cart for checkout many times over the last few weeks. And there are many happy SQ owners here posting nice looking screenshots. But I saw what I saw. Am I too sensitive to motion artifacts? I don't think so. I've got a cheap ass old 46" Sammy CCFL lit LCD. For 3 months I had a cheap ass Vizio 70" LED edge lit LCD that I was happy with (except for a problem with small white spots appearing on the screen after a month). Motion has not been an issue with either of those TVs.

I'd really like to have one of these at home for a few days and run through a meter calibration and figure out why I am not seeing what I expected to see with this TV. Fry's does have a good return policy, but I don't want to abuse it. I used to do that when I was reviewing computer graphics cards online as a hobby in the late 90s. It landed me a job in the industry. Thank you, Fry's :-)

That is unfortunate you had a bad experience. I tried to quickly capture an image of what I am seeing before work this morning.

Your 720p clip on USB:

BluRay on Xbox One:

How do these compare to what you saw in the store? Could you upload a shot of how it looks on your old set?

I found these screen captures online. Are these closer to what you are expecting? The colors in these frame grabs are closer to what I see on the TV, since my images above came out too red for some reason.

post #1361 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 04:27 AM

Hi

Here in the UK we seem to have just one Sharp model from the new line up - Sharp Aquos LC60UQ10. It looks interesting but we only have one retailer selling it currently. There are no reviews here so I was wondering what members think of the US version? From a quick scan of posts it seems fairly positive.

post #1362 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

Quote:

Movie mode, film mode off, 120hz high, resolution enhancement mode 1, clear processing off, active contrast off, digital noise reduction off. Are you using a USB 2.0 stick, an external hard drive, something else?
Quote:

No. THANKS! :-) Headed back to the store....

I didn't really like the PQ out of the box and in store they don't look that impressive at all. As far as gray scale it is way off out of the box. And as for colors they are over saturated as will out of the box per meter. As for looking flat it was a little flat out of the box. You really need to have this in a home environment and calibrated.
The pictures that have been posted no mine but Pixels with my setting and his tweak show what this set is capable of.
Personal opinion but I was never able to form an opinion on a TV in the store. Even if they tried to have a good viewing room. It's just not the same.
But at the end of the day you have to be happy.
As always enjoyed you read...
post #1363 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 05:46 AM

Here is a quick morning show pic form my phone and just as a general viewing shot. 6aby7ere.jpg
post #1364 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 06:54 AM

Has anyone seen the UQ80" in store yet or better still, purchased it and installed it in their home?

post #1365 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahjd2000 View Post

Agreed. The different between a 65" and 80" TV is huge. 51% more surface area to be exact.
The 90" is [91.2% larger] than the 65" wink.gif ............ The 90" is [26.5% larger] than the 80" as well.......
post #1366 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The 90" is [91.2% larger] than the 65" wink.gif ............ The 90" is [26.5% larger] than the 80" as well.......
I can't do the 90". I have played around with it a couple times and the panel doesn't live up to the price. There is a massive amount of input lag and that just won't work for me.
post #1367 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I'm curious, what's the MSRP on the 90"?

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #1368 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 08:58 AM

Liked: 11
Pixelexip - Can I ask where you got that stand? I need a bigger one now for this 70" monster.
post #1369 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 09:14 AM

I visited the Frys store in Tempe Arizona. They had all three 70 inch Q+ models on display next to each other. The nice thing was that the whole store had Direct TV feed to all there TVs. I watch Soccer, Golf and news feeds as well as 480p commercials. All tvs had same settings right out of box and I must say IMO the SQ had better picture quality when comparing  Tvs except 

I felt that the sony X850a 4 K tv was better out of box. If I were ready to buy it will be this TV. With the help of AV manic and others I believe this TV could be special at a great price.I will need a tv in 1-2 months so I will wait for others to hit stores.On a side bar I saw a sony 55w950b, the picture in store with a blueray looked awesome. Too bad the first few reviews from across the pond were very negative by professional publications.Also the largest size is 65inches.   

post #1370 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferch View Post

Pixelexip - Can I ask where you got that stand? I need a bigger one now for this 70" monster.

It is from IKEA in gray/brown:
http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/10250965/

Assembly wasn't too bad, maybe about 1.5 hours. It says the max load is 110 pounds, but it isn't clear if that means on top, or also the shelves. Right now I have the TV, sound bar, router, and backlight kit on top, or about 120 pounds. The shelves have the set top box, xbox 360, and xbox one, which is probably another 15 pounds.
post #1371 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is unfortunate you had a bad experience. I tried to quickly capture an image of what I am seeing before work this morning.

Your 720p clip on USB:

BluRay on Xbox One:

How do these compare to what you saw in the store? Could you upload a shot of how it looks on your old set?

I found these screen captures online. Are these closer to what you are expecting? The colors in these frame grabs are closer to what I see on the TV, since my images above came out too red for some reason.

My motion clip is 1080P, although the Monster University part was upscaled from a 720P rip. I tried taking some more screenshots. With my galaxy S4, the photos are much darker than the actual screen unless I fiddle with exposure a lot. I tried to manipulate it so the photos look like the actual screen, but it's not successful. Plus how these photos look depends on your PC monitor. So, I think I'll just stay with my description that the SQ seemed flat, dull and posterized in some areas. Maybe it's a USB issue. Maybe it's the test files. Certainly the files don't match Blu-Ray, but they are still quite good and I know how they look on my Sammy LN46D630 and the Vizio E701i-A3 I had.

There are environmental issues with the store setting. It's on the dark side, which is good, but there are some background reflections AND the TV is up a bit high. My head is about 1/3rd up the screen. Maybe the vertical viewing angle at the store is an issue. But looking at other sets, I don't think so unless the SQ is terribly restricted vertically. Anyway, based on all the favorable results at home, as AVmanic suggested, my store evaluation is probably not representative despite all the efforts I made.
post #1372 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My motion clip is 1080P, although the Monster University part was upscaled from a 720P rip. I tried taking some more screenshots. With my galaxy S4, the photos are much darker than the actual screen unless I fiddle with exposure a lot. I tried to manipulate it so the photos look like the actual screen, but it's not successful. Plus how these photos look depends on your PC monitor. So, I think I'll just stay with my description that the SQ seemed flat, dull and posterized in some areas. Maybe it's a USB issue. Maybe it's the test files. Certainly the files don't match Blu-Ray, but they are still quite good and I know how they look on my Sammy LN46D630 and the Vizio E701i-A3 I had.

There are environmental issues with the store setting. It's on the dark side, which is good, but there are some background reflections AND the TV is up a bit high. My head is about 1/3rd up the screen. Maybe the vertical viewing angle at the store is an issue. But looking at other sets, I don't think so unless the SQ is terribly restricted vertically. Anyway, based on all the favorable results at home, as AVmaniac suggested, my store evaluation is probably not representative despite all the efforts I made.

I'm perplexed that two TVs of lessor 'build' (I'm referring to their specs on paper) out performed two current gen models, one being a 4K set. I don't doubt your observations, instead I'm thinking it must be due to some other factor. Initially I thought maybe it's because the Samsung is FALD (I'm not sure if its but I have a similar Samsung 6 series that is FALD), but then you mention the Vizio E series which is edge lit. I'll try that scene tonight on my Samsung and then later on my new 70 SQ Sharp, which I should get tomorrow.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #1373 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Your 720p clip on USB:

BluRay on Xbox One:

There are environmental issues with the store setting. It's on the dark side, which is good, but there are some background reflections AND the TV is up a bit high. My head is about 1/3rd up the screen. Maybe the vertical viewing angle at the store is an issue. But looking at other sets, I don't think so unless the SQ is terribly restricted vertically. Anyway, based on all the favorable results at home, as AVmanic suggested, my store evaluation is probably not representative despite all the efforts I made.

Bill,

Hope you didn't take my comment in a bad way. You have taken a lot of time going back and forth to the store for testing and I respect that.

I can tell you that when I had to decide if I was going to try another W850 or just get the SQ it was hard because the SQ didn't stand out at me in the store and I to took test material. You may have something with the vertical viewing. If I stand about 3ft from my set and kneel up and down I can see some of the same effect of off axis left to right viewing.
post #1374 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVmanic View Post

Bill,

Hope you didn't take my comment in a bad way. You have taken a lot of time going back and forth to the store for testing and I respect that.

I can tell you that when I had to decide if I was going to try another W850 or just get the SQ it was hard because the SQ didn't stand out at me in the store and I to took test material. You may have something with the vertical viewing. If I stand about 3ft from my set and kneel up and down I can see some of the same effect of off axis left to right viewing.
Zero offense taken. We're all trying to be fair here. Considering there have been ZERO professional reviews of this set, we are totally on our own trying to do some due diligence. I'm trying to replace a 70" Vizio that was surprisingly nice - not perfect, not super duper low blacks, but a bright, clear image with good color and motion handling that I could tune to look very nice under my varying conditions (bright sunroom in daytime and darkroom viewing at night). I'd get a 2014 Vizio 70" if they weren't dragging there feet with releases. So, in the meantime I'm here and looking at other Samsungs and Sonys, both 1080P and 4K. After I bought the Vizio 70" at $1479 + tax, I got into a bargain mode, and the 70 SQ is right in that category. But I want to make sure I'd be happy for a few years at least.

I made some study of the UN65F9000, Samsung's late 2013 true 4K unit, discounted last week by Pauls TV to $2629 + tax (for me in CA). A number of pro reviews, all laudatory. I came this close to pushing the button, but in the store I had similar motion issues. Jeez, it's a Samsung. You'd think it would work like my old Sammy, but it didn't. Frustrating. With all the pro reviews, it MUST be OK, but I'm going to sit tight for a while, probably go 70" 1080p, and wait for the dust to settle.
Jahjd2000 likes this.
post #1375 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahjd2000 View Post

I'm perplexed that two TVs of lessor 'build' (I'm referring to their specs on paper) out performed two current gen models, one being a 4K set. I don't doubt your observations, instead I'm thinking it must be due to some other factor. Initially I thought maybe it's because the Samsung is FALD (I'm not sure if its but I have a similar Samsung 6 series that is FALD), but then you mention the Vizio E series which is edge lit. I'll try that scene tonight on my Samsung and then later on my new 70 SQ Sharp, which I should get tomorrow.
My old (currently owned) Sammy LN46D630 is CCFL, so no FALD or dimming. A middle of the range TV at best, but I saw it at a friend's place when I owned the top of the line (then) Sammy UN46B8500, FALD with local dimming. Sure, the 8500 would go black, but despite a lot of fiddling, (I was always fiddling), I found the LN46D630 just as compelling and easier to live with. My wife took the 8500 at our divorce and I happily bought the D630 a year after release for about $700. Despite its lowly status, it has full grayscale and CMS control, allowing consumer calibration with a meter. If only it were bigger. The 70" Vizio from 10 feet was like going to the movie theater. I want that experience back. Maybe I should just grab the bargain 70" SQ and trust that with a a little fiddling, I can be as happy as you guys.
post #1376 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bill,

Zero offense taken. We're all trying to be fair here. Considering there have been ZERO professional reviews of this set, we are totally on our own trying to do some due diligence. I'm trying to replace a 70" Vizio that was surprisingly nice - not perfect, not super duper low blacks, but a bright, clear image with good color and motion handling that I could tune to look very nice under my varying conditions (bright sunroom in daytime and darkroom viewing at night). I'd get a 2014 Vizio 70" if they weren't dragging there feet with releases. So, in the meantime I'm here and looking at other Samsungs and Sonys, both 1080P and 4K. After I bought the Vizio 70" at $1479 + tax, I got into a bargain mode, and the 70 SQ is right in that category. But I want to make sure I'd be happy for a few years at least.

I made some study of the UN65F9000, Samsung's late 2013 true 4K unit, discounted last week by Pauls TV to $2629 + tax (for me in CA). A number of pro reviews, all laudatory. I came this close to pushing the button, but in the store I had similar motion issues. Jeez, it's a Samsung. You'd think it would work like my old Sammy, but it didn't. Frustrating. With all the pro reviews, it MUST be OK, but I'm going to sit tight for a while, probably go 70" 1080p, and wait for the dust to settle.

Wow what a great deal on the 65f9000 and it has the upgradeable one connect box.
post #1377 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 02:01 PM

If not happy, you can always return it!  Now, off you go to bring it back home.

Quote:

Maybe I should just grab the bargain 70" SQ and trust that with a a little fiddling, I can be as happy as you guys.
post #1378 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 02:10 PM

While some are pushing the envelope to get that exceptional picture on this set, others are waiting for the Vizio P series. For those with experience with calibrating Vizio TV's is it likely there will be a significant difference in the work required to make either of these TV'S shine?
post #1379 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

That's what i love about the Q+ series with it's upscaling everything I have watched especially on a 70in has more detail and sharpness than any other 1080 TV out there. And we all know with 1080 on a non Q+ TV the bigger you go the bigger the pixels are. I had the 65W850s and the Q+ has a much better picture.
Q17 has better blacks to me
post #1380 of 3636 Old 04-01-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Seymour View Post

While some are pushing the envelope to get that exceptional picture on this set, others are waiting for the Vizio P series. For those with experience with calibrating Vizio TV's is it likely there will be a significant difference in the work required to make either of these TV'S shine?
The Vizio P has it's own thread. But to dispense with this quickly here...The P is quite a ways down the road until release (? August). Looks good on paper and in production prototypes at CES. Should have full calibration options. My E series didn't have CMS and only 2 pt grayscale and had measurable errors in color gamut, but I never noticed it. So, I have been waiting for any 2014 70" Vizio to show up, but I doubt I will wait for the P even though it looks good "on paper".
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
picture , Sharp 80 Inch Le650 Class Aquos Smart Led Tv , Sharp Aquos Quattron 70 Inch Class 3d Tv 2 Pairs Of Active 3d Glassses , Sharp He Lc 70ud1u 70 Inch Aquos 4k Ultra Hd 3d Smart Led Tv , smartcentral
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page