post #2431 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post

not true. Some of us are looking at this and other sets.

I was just being sarcastic smile.gif. I was all for waiting for a Vizio P series until I saw the 70UQ in store, and at home it is even more stunning.

Dustin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 07:17 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyxv View Post

I noticed this on my 70UQ, should I exchange it for another?

My 70UQ has the same thing only mine appears to be smaller.  Mine is only about 1/4" in diameter and the only time I see it is if I am on a blank screen like selecting an input.  It doesn't really bother me but I was wondering if it will worsen over time.  My clouding is minimal on my set and I don't really want to go through the trouble of returning something if I only see it on a blanck screen.  I don't watch a blank screen too often :-)

post #2433 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatti-man View Post

So you've seen real content in 4k? Or are you talking about the relatively still images that are meant to look and do look stunning. My point being if you play real movie content the difference isn't that large and there really is zero content to even be had in 4k. Sony offers stuff that proprietary to sony and the Samsung USB junk is just an awful solution. It's either buy a sharp or wait imo, unless you feel like throwing money away.

At 60" or less I really don't understand even getting 4k unless you sit 6' or closer which is very very few of us.
I saw the YouTube 4k demo video. It looked incredible.

The 60 inch UQ looks amazing and is $2200. The 55 inch Samsung is $2500. I'm not convinced either way but I don't think it's throwing money away.

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

post #2434 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelexip View Post

Here are some pictures with gamut set to expanded:

Here is what my Modern Family (latest episode) looks like, since I know people have been referencing the skin tones in that show:

Without changing any settings, here are the skin tones on a different show that look close to perfect (at least to me), so Modern Family probably just uses some sort of post processing to affect the color:

Have you posted all your setting somewhere?

Best of luck
post #2435 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356c View Post

Have you posted all your setting somewhere?

It is AVManic's settings with the following changes, with my thoughts behind each change:

- Backlight 0 (in the middle to be avoid being too dark or too cloudy)

- Brightness +4 (tweaked with WOW)

- Contrast +29 (tweaked with WOW)

- Sharpness +1 (no real visible difference, could probably just be 0)

- Gamma -1 (adds a tiny bit more shadow detail)

- Color Gamut Expanded (adds more color depth for lack of a better word)

- Film Mode Standard (reduces juddering on some sources without excessive soap opera effect)

For gaming I use mrmizzler's settings with the same modifications above, but I think game mode is always in color gamut expanded, and film mode is grayed out.

I keep going back and forth on setting Active Contrast to Standard, but for now I have it back to Off again.

In the end I think there will never be a group of settings that will work perfectly on everyone's set, so it is probably good to use something like this as a baseline, and tweak them to your personal preference and viewing conditions.  AVManic's settings are a good start since he has used real equipment to calibrate, where anything I have done has just been with the WOW disc and by eye.

post #2436 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:

It is AVManic's settings with the following changes, with my thoughts behind each change:
- Backlight 0 (in the middle to be avoid being too dark or too cloudy)
- Brightness +4 (tweaked with WOW)
- Contrast +29 (tweaked with WOW)
- Sharpness +1 (no real visible difference, could probably just be 0)
- Gamma -1 (adds a tiny bit more shadow detail)
- Color Gamut Expanded (adds more color depth for lack of a better word)
- Film Mode Standard (reduces juddering on some sources without excessive soap opera effect)

For gaming I use mrmizzler's settings with the same modifications above, but I think game mode is always in color gamut expanded, and film mode is grayed out.

I keep going back and forth on setting Active Contrast to Standard, but for now I have it back to Off again.

In the end I think there will never be a group of settings that will work perfectly on everyone's set, so it is probably good to use something like this as a baseline, and tweak them to your personal preference and viewing conditions.  AVManic's settings are a good start since he has used real equipment to calibrate, where anything I have done has just been with the WOW disc and by eye.

Thank you for the information, I've been playing as well with various settings. I'm interested in different approaches since I tend to hang with one a little to long....if that makes sense.

Best of luck
post #2437 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 09:16 AM

I just bought a 70" AQUOS LED and it did not come with a stand but a wall mount. I'd rather have a stand, will any AQOUS stand work or does it have a specific stand? I've seen some on ebay from a 42" tv, just don't want to buy one and it not work.
post #2438 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner Wing View Post

My 70UQ has the same thing only mine appears to be smaller.  Mine is only about 1/4" in diameter and the only time I see it is if I am on a blank screen like selecting an input.  It doesn't really bother me but I was wondering if it will worsen over time.  My clouding is minimal on my set and I don't really want to go through the trouble of returning something if I only see it on a blanck screen.  I don't watch a blank screen too often :-)

The store manager told me it would get worst over time. I'm not sure if it would but I did the exchange today. Won't be able to set up the new TV until Monday when I have someone to help me. The wife is pregnant so I don't want her lifting anything heavy.
post #2439 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 10:52 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

I store manager told me it would get worst over time. I'm not sure if it would but I did the exchange today. Won't be able to set up the new TV until Monday when I have someone to help me. The wife is pregnant so I don't want here lifting anything heavy.

Congrats!

post #2440 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuppers5 View Post

Congrats!

Thanks. It's our first. She is due in July. Big screen for the cartoons I guess. wink.gif
post #2441 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 10:59 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Thanks. It's our first. She is due in July. Big screen for the cartoons I guess. wink.gif

Lucky-ass kid, ha. I remember I had to watch my cartoons on a 13-inch black and white TV back in my day. And I'm not even that old!

tlwiz1 likes this.
post #2442 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 01:28 PM

I need some help. Just got my 70" q+ hooked up. I'm getting pretty bad frame stutter when watching blu ray using my xbox one frown.gif anyone know why that would be?
post #2443 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoUse4AName68 View Post

I need some help. Just got my 70" q+ hooked up. I'm getting pretty bad frame stutter when watching blu ray using my xbox one frown.gif anyone know why that would be?

Switch to movie with 120hz high and film mode standard, or game mode.
post #2444 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Still happening. Pretty bad too :/
post #2445 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner View Post

I was just being sarcastic smile.gif. I was all for waiting for a Vizio P series until I saw the 70UQ in store, and at home it is even more stunning.

Dustin
sorry I totally missed that one. Yeah I'm still waiting on my tax return. Then it's either th 80UQ or Sony 65X900. I'm leaning Sony. 65 is a good size. It's a 10 bit panel as well. But I am still looking at the Sharp
post #2446 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Still happening. Pretty bad too :/

Which movie are you trying to watch? I can see if I can duplicate it if I own that BluRay.
post #2447 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Which movie are you trying to watch? I can see if I can duplicate it if I own that BluRay.
We tried the dark knight, Metallica live, and you story three. And horrible bosses
post #2448 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

We tried the dark knight, Metallica live, and you story three. And horrible bosses

Okay I just put in Dark Knight Rises. Is there a particular scene, or is it the entire movie?
post #2449 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 05:12 PM

We only watched the bank robbery at the beginning.
post #2450 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:

We only watched the bank robbery at the beginning.

Alright, I do see the juddering during the bank robbery in movie mode, but not in game mode.  Are you seeing it in game mode as well?

Edit: I just set film mode to off on movie mode and that helped with the juddering.  The black levels in this movie are really good on some scenes, almost as dark as the letterboxing bars.

post #2451 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was just at Fry's. 80UQ, 70UQ, 70UD all in a row, left to right. The Sony x850a was behind me and the HU8550 was next to it. Pretty good vantage point to sit for a while, so I did. They were dead, so the rep there changed sources and even played with settings for me. A GREAT audition time.

I have to say, if I could FIT the 80UQ in my area, I would. That set is quite the beauty. But, it's not in my plans, so I didn't look at anything but the promo feed on it.

I watched the promo feeds, Frozen, and Total Recall (Farrell remake) on the others.

I'm not buying until July, but I came in thinking I would probably end up with the Samsung HU8550. It's a great set, and the price may drop again by July. Maybe.

But, after today there is no way I'd go 65" when the 70UQ looks that good. And, I put the set through the ringer watching scenes over and over. I would definitely say I think the picture on the 70UQ is comparable to the Samsung and Sony (I think the HU8550 is slightly crisper than the x850a) - with the 4k TV's having slightly better blacks. I was really blown away. It was gorgeous.

Only the UD, to me, was better - and that set is easily the best picture I've ever seen anywhere. I'm not sure it's $1200 better than the UQ, but it is luscious. Since I'm buying in July, I will still have time to look at the new Sony and the Panasonic...and maybe the p70 Vizio (doubtful, but I can dream). But for now, my ranking is as follows:

1. 70UD
2. 70UQ
3. HU8550
4. x850a
post #2452 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:

Alright, I do see the juddering during the bank robbery in movie mode, but not in game mode.  Are you seeing it in game mode as well?

Edit: I just set film mode to off on movie mode and that helped with the juddering.  The black levels in this movie are really good on some scenes, almost as dark as the letterboxing bars.
So I go downstairs to try this out and now I'm getting no picture when I put it on the input that my receiver is plugged into. :/
post #2453 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:

So I go downstairs to try this out and now I'm getting no picture when I put it on the input that my receiver is plugged into. :/

That's not good.  Sometimes if the TV gets into a really confused state, the only way to get it to work again is to unplug the power for about 10 seconds and then plug it back in.  For what it's worth, i'm using HDMI 1 for the Xbox One.

post #2454 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 06:51 PM

Any other thoughts on this? If it is going to worsen I need to take it back. If not I can live with it. ***See Below. This post was sent on my phone and the quote didn't work, Sorry for congesting the thread***
post #2455 of 3826 Old 05-03-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:

The store manager told me it would get worst over time. I'm not sure if it would but I did the exchange today. Won't be able to set up the new TV until Monday when I have someone to help me. The wife is pregnant so I don't want her lifting anything heavy.

Any other thoughts on this? In its current state it doesn't bother me but if it is going to worsen I want to exchange it before it is too late.  Thanks for your thoughts.  Here is a picture of my set.  The s a light source coming from the kitchen which makes the screen look funny but you can see the small area of bleeding.

post #2456 of 3826 Old 05-04-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Any other thoughts on this? If it is going to worsen I need to take it back. If not I can live with it. ***See Below. This post was sent on my phone and the quote didn't work, Sorry for congesting the thread***

I personally don't think it'll worsen as it seems like it's more an issue with there being a gap in that spot between the screen and frame causing the light to shine through.

ROB
post #2457 of 3826 Old 05-04-2014, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Here's a good read for everyone having problems with fast moving sports. 1080i 30fps is a big part of the problem.
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/1080i-and-1080p-are-the-same-resolution/
post #2458 of 3826 Old 05-04-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:

I do not think any one should answer that, as who knows. You always have your 1 year warranty so its not a must to swap.
post #2459 of 3826 Old 05-04-2014, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I see on Avs's suggested settings the first thing posted says:

First set gamma 1.18.

Then at the end of his post he says to put gamma at -1.

I am not finding where to change the first gamma setting to 1.18. All I can find in the settings is how to change the gamma from -5 up to +5, but no 1.18 or anything like that. Where would those settings be in the menu?

I have a 70SQ. Will post pics. soon. Definitely liking it. Picture from the cable box is pretty good, but Blu-Ray really shines.
post #2460 of 3826 Old 05-04-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen33 View Post

I see on Avs's suggested settings the first thing posted says:

First set gamma 1.18.

Then at the end of his post he says to put gamma at -1.

I am not finding where to change the first gamma setting to 1.18. All I can find in the settings is how to change the gamma from -5 up to +5, but no 1.18 or anything like that. Where would those settings be in the menu?

I have a 70SQ. Will post pics. soon. Definitely liking it. Picture from the cable box is pretty good, but Blu-Ray really shines.

Setting your gamma to -1 on the set should result in a measured gamma of 1.18 per AVmanic's testing.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
picture , Sharp 80 Inch Le650 Class Aquos Smart Led Tv , Sharp Aquos Quattron 70 Inch Class 3d Tv 2 Pairs Of Active 3d Glassses , Sharp He Lc 70ud1u 70 Inch Aquos 4k Ultra Hd 3d Smart Led Tv , smartcentral
Gear in this thread - Le650 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page