AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   2014 Sharp AQUOS Line-Up (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1510153-2014-sharp-aquos-line-up.html)

alk3997 01-06-2014 10:48 AM

At CES today (1/6/14), Sharp unveiled its new line-up of AQUOS TVs. I'll summarize first and then include the press release:

The Everything Line - Sharp AQUOS 4K Ultra HD Series - UD Line:
60" or 70" (with possibly more screen sizes to be announced later in the year)
Native 4K Display
Upsampling of HD to 2160p
HD content upscaled
SuperBright Technology
4 HDMI 2.0 inputs
THX 4K certified
3D ready with 2 Bluetooth glasses included
New SmartCentral platform (SmartCentral 3)
MSRP = $5K for 60" and $6K for 70"


The High End 4K on HD Display - Sharp AQUOS Quattron+ (Q+) - UQ Line
60", 70" and 80"
Quattron Plus for using extra subpixels to improve the resolution of an HD display (extra Green and Yellow pels)
HD content upscaled
SuperBright Technology
Able to handle 4K/24 (does not indicate HDMI 2.0 for higher frame rates)
THX certified
3D ready with 2 Bluetooth glasses included
New SmartCentral platform (SmartCentral 3)
MSRP of $3K for 60"; unknown for 70" and $6K for 80"

Model numbers: 60": LC-60UQ17U; 70: LC-70UQ17U; 80: LC-80UQ17U
Reputable dealer street price in Feb 2014: 60" - $2497; 70" - $3297; 80" - $5497


The "Regular" 4K on HD Display - Sharp AQUOS Quattron+ (Q+) - SQ Line
60" and 70"
Quattron Plus for using extra subpixels to improve the resolution of an HD display (extra Green and Yellow pels)
HD content upscaled
3D Ready (No glasses included)
Able to handle 4K/24 (does not indicate HDMI 2.0 for higher frame rates)
New SmartCentral platform (SmartCentral 3)
MSRP of $2.3K for 60" and $3.1K for 70"

Model numbers: 60": LC-60SQ15U; 70": LC-70SQ15U
Reputable dealer street price in Feb 2014: 60" - $1997; 70" - $2699


Medium Level HD Display - Sharp AQUOS Quattron (Q) - EQ Line
60" and 70"
New SmartCentral platform (SmartCentral 3)
MSRP of $1.7K for 60" and $2.7K for 70"

Model numbers: 60": LC60EQ10U; 70": LC70EQ10U
Reputable dealer street price in Feb 2014: 60" - $1397; 70" - $2197


All Big Sizes of HD Displays - Sharp AQUOS HD Series - LE650 Line
60", 70", 80" and 90"
90" Only 3D Ready
Older SmartCentral platform
MSRP of $1.3K for 60"; $9K for 90" and unknown for other sizes

Model numbers: 60": LC-60LE650U; 70": LC-70LE650U; 80": LC-80LE650U; 90": LC-90LE650U
Reputable dealer street price in Feb 2014: 60" - $997; 70" - $1697


Video summary of Quattron+ technology:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDiG6gBDVb4

Video of Sharp 2014 announcement at CES:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QawPm3E7bfE

Video providing summary of Sharp 2014 Line-Up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLA0vq7A9hA



Here's the original Sharp press release:


Sharp® Unveils Four Series of Large-Screen Sharp AQUOS® LED TVs With Cutting-Edge Picture Technology & New SmartCentral Smart TV Platform

INTRODUCES SHARP AQUOS QUATTRON+ (Q+), THE HIGHEST RESOLUTION FULL HD TV AVAILABLE

LAS VEGAS, NV (January 6, 2014) – Miss nothing, experience everything, with 2014 Sharp® AQUOS® LED Smart TVs. Sharp today unveiled its comprehensive 2014 TV line-up with cutting- edge picture technology, including the new AQUOS Quattron+ (Q+) series of LED televisions, the highest resolution Full HD TV, and a new SmartCentral smart TV platform.

The 2014 Sharp AQUOS large-screen LED Smart TV line up consists of four series: The THX® 4K certified flagship AQUOS 4K series; AQUOS Q+, the highest resolution Full HD TV; AQUOS Quattron (Q) which offers 33 percent more subpixels than a standard HD TV; and AQUOS HD, which offers a breathtaking 1080p HD display. In 2014 Sharp will offer 19 different AQUOS LED TVs 60” and larger.

“Our new line-up of AQUOS TVs provides customers with more higher resolution choices than ever before,” said John Herrington, President, Sharp Electronics Marketing Company of America (SEMCA). “Not only does Sharp manufacture superior 4K and Full HD sets in a variety of large- screen sizes, our Q series and our new Q+ offerings provide viewers with even more resolution options, including picture quality never seen before from a 1080p panel."

Introducing AQUOS Quattron+(Q+) Series: The Game Changer
Unveiled at CES 2014, AQUOS Q+ Series LED TVs, with Quattron and Revelation technologies, are the highest resolution Full HD TVs available today. Q+ televisions feature Sharp’s exclusive Quattron panel and Revelation technology, which divides each pixel, creating two pixels from one, to deliver 16 million subpixels. That’s an astounding 10 million more than conventional Full HDTVs. Q+ TVs have built-in upscaling, so everything you watch is sharper and more vivid. Q+ TVs are also future-ready -- they are the only Full HD TVs that can play 4K content, delivering a UHD experience. Since Q+ TVs are built using a 1080p panel, they can be priced at almost half today’s premium 4K TVs. The Q+ series will be available in 60”, 70”, and 80” class diagonal screen sizes and in two versions: the UQ and SQ lines. The UQ line will boast premium features such as, AquoMotion 960, Super Bright™, premium design, 3D with 2 pairs of glasses, powerful 35W audio, and Bluetooth. The SQ line will be available in two screen sizes (60” and 70” class).

Picture quality certified by THX
Sharp now boasts THX and THX 4K certification for the UQ line in the AQUOS Q+ series and the AQUOS 4K Ultra HD series respectively. Synonymous with great cinema-quality sound for decades, THX now sets the bar for picture quality for the world’s top TV manufacturers. Thirty test categories, with up to 400 bench tests and more than 1000 data points ensure that only the best TVs make the cut.

Sharp’s SmartCentral™ platform: Truly Intuitive TV
Sharp will also debut a new SmartCentral™ smart TV platform. The new SmartCentral lets viewers search once and discover more, all from a single remote. Access your cable, satellite, and streaming services through the SmartCentral interactive guide and search across live TV and built in streaming services by title, genre, time and popularity. It’s so intelligent it will even help you discover new content by providing recommendations based on your preferences. No more launching individual apps to find the shows you want to watch.

All the best apps are available on SmartCentral. From instant access to movies with Netflix, Hulu Plus and Vudu, to videos with YouTube®, music with Pandora® and Rhapsody®, social with Facebook and gaming—what you love is only a click away.

With the SmartCentral mobile app, available for free for iOS and Android, viewers can connect smartphones and tablets to Sharp AQUOS TVs to access, control and share content, search and discover and share videos, pictures and music stored on your smart device.

All Sharp AQUOS Smart LED TVs also come with built in web browses and TV/Web split screen functionality, allowing the viewer to watch TV on one half of the screen, while simultaneously browsing the web.


Features and design to fit your life
AQUOS TVs are designed with high-quality finishes on thin bezels, made of premium materials, like the brushed aluminum used on UQ and 4K models, creating a modern look and feel. The TVs allow for multiple mounting possibilities and are efficiently designed to squeeze all the beautiful picture quality you want into a slim profile.

Turn it off, and the TV is transformed into a work of art. Sharp’s exclusive Wallpaper Mode lets you display virtually any image you choose on the AQUOS screen at a reduced light level that mirrors museum conditions when the TV is powered off, so your screen blends beautifully into your room’s décor. All at extremely low power.

Even the energy efficiency of Sharp TVs is extraordinary. Sharp AQUOS HD*, Q and Q+ TVs are
Energy Star® qualified.

Sharp AQUOS TV Line-up Details

Sharp AQUOS 4K Ultra HD Series - UD Line:
• 60”, 70” Class Screen Sizes
• Dark Silver Brushed Solid Aluminum Bezel
• 4K Ultra HD 2160p
• Built in Upscaler for HD Content
• SmartCentral 3 Smart TV platform with Miracast
• AquoMotion 240 with 120Hz Panel
• Active 3D with Two Bluetooth 3D Glasses Included
• 4 HDMI Inputs (all 4K Ready and HDMI 2.0 complaint) and 2 USB Ports
• THX 4K Certified
• Duo Bass Sub-Woofer with 35W Audio
• Dual Core Processor
• Wallpaper Mode
• TV/Web Split Screen
• MSRP $4,999.99 - $5,999.99

Sharp AQUOS Quattron+ (Q+) Series - UQ Line:
• 60”, 70”, 80” Class Screen Sizes
• Titanium-Brushed Solid Aluminum Bezel
• Highest Resolution Full HD with Quattron + Revelation Technologies
• Built in Upscaler for HD Content
• SmartCentral 3 with Miracast
• SuperBright Technology
• AquoMotion 960 with 240Hz Panel
• Active 3D with Two Bluetooth 3D Glasses Supplied
• 4 HDMI Inputs (4K Ready) and 2 USB Ports
• THX Certified
• 15W Sub-Woofer
• Bluetooth Audio
• Dual Core Processor
• Wallpaper Mode
• TV/Web Split Screen
• MSRP $2,999.99 - $5,999.99

Sharp AQUOS Quattron+ (Q+) Series - SQ Line:
• 60”, 70” Class Screen Sizes
• Silver-Brushed Plastic Thin Bezel
• Highest Resolution Full HD with Quattron + Revelation Technologies
• Built in Upscaler for HD Content
• SmartCentral 3 with Miracast
• 240Hz Panel
• 3D Ready
• 4 HDMI Inputs (4K Ready) and 2 USB Ports
• Bluetooth Audio
• Dual Core Processor
• Wallpaper Mode
• TV/Web Split Screen
• MSRP $2,299.99 - $3,099.99

Sharp AQUOS Quattron (Q) EQ Series:
• 60”, 70” Class Screen Sizes
• Black Plastic Thin Bezel
• Full HD 1080p with Quattron Technology
• SmartCentral 3 with Miracast
• 240Hz Panel
• 4 HDMI Inputs and 2 USB Ports
• Dual Core Processor
• Wallpaper Mode
• TV/Web Split Screen
• MSRP $1,699.99 - $2,699.99

Sharp AQUOS HD Series - LE650 Line:
• 60”, 70”, 80”, 90” Class Screen Sizes
• Slim Design
• Full HD 1080p
• SmartCentral Smart TV platform
• 120Hz Panel
• 2D / 3D with glasses (90”)
• 4 HDMI Inputs and 2 USB Ports
• Dual Core Processor
• Wallpaper Mode
• TV/Web Split Screen
• MSRP $1,299.99 - $8,999.99

Sharp will be shipping AQUOS HD, Q and Q+ models to retailers nationwide in Spring 2014.

For More Information
Check out the Sharp AQUOS TV line-up, including the new Q+, at the unveiling during the 2014 International CES at SharpUSA.com/CESnews.

* AQUOS HD 90" class is not EnergyStar qualified.

alk3997 01-07-2014 08:06 AM

Added note about the 2014 models being designated the SQ15 and UQ17 lines.

ecgz88 01-07-2014 09:05 AM

UQ+ 80" $5999, will get this when hit 3-4K price mark

I think Sharp still launch too many models and get people confusing

pgwalsh 01-07-2014 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecgz88 View Post

UQ+ 80" $5999, will get this when hit 3-4K price mark

I think Sharp still launch too many models and get people confusing

I'm with you on this. Was hoping for another 90" full array.

cliffhugger 01-07-2014 09:31 AM

The $5999 on the 80" UQ+ is less then the current $6499 MSRP on the 80 flagship, the LC80LE857.  Even the  2014 90" MSRP is $3k less then last years MSRP.  Am I missing something here, or does this open the doors for these new sets to be cheaper then the current 2013 models?

 

I recently purchased the LC80LE857, but I am exchanging it for the LC90LE657.  It looks like there isn't much reason to wait for the 2014 90".  I was able to negotiate a 60 days price protection starting Jan 11th, so hopefully I'll be safe when the 2014's arrive.


pgwalsh 01-07-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhugger View Post

The $5999 on the 80" UQ+ is less then the current $6499 MSRP on the 80 flagship, the LC80LE857.  Even the  2014 90" MSRP is $3k less then last years MSRP.  Am I missing something here, or does this open the doors for these new sets to be cheaper then the current 2013 models?

I recently purchased the LC80LE857, but I am exchanging it for the LC90LE657.  It looks like there isn't much reason to wait for the 2014 90".  I was able to negotiate a 60 days price protection starting Jan 11th, so hopefully I'll be safe when the 2014's arrive.

Not much of a reason if you want 1080P and wait for 4k for sometime down the line. I might be in the same boat as you. I am working with a rear projection tv still that's about 7 years old.

farsider3000 01-07-2014 10:23 AM

I am very interested in the 80" UQ+. If this tv as sharp as the higher end Samsung 75" HD sets them I am sold. I did not buy the previous 80" Sharp due to what I perceived to be a slightly blurred image.

Gaming lag is also important since this is going on the wall to replace my Panasonic plasma.

I have my doubts about the actual benefit of the increased subpixels as claimed in the Sharp marketing information. The ulitmate test will be when I take my Skyfall blu-ray to Best Buy and hook up a player with a direct hdmi link to the set (not a distributed signal among many sets).

In my theater room my eyes are 14 feet from the screen and based on my research I would see no benefit in 4k at this distance with an 80" screen size. So I have big hopes for this set.

cliffhugger 01-07-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post

I am very interested in the 80" UQ+. If this tv as sharp as the higher end Samsung 75" HD sets them I am sold. I did not buy the previous 80" Sharp due to what I perceived to be a slightly blurred image.

Gaming lag is also important since this is going on the wall to replace my Panasonic plasma.

I have my doubts about the actual benefit of the increased subpixels as claimed in the Sharp marketing information. The ulitmate test will be when I take my Skyfall blu-ray to Best Buy and hook up a player with a direct hdmi link to the set (not a distributed signal among many sets).

In my theater room my eyes are 14 feet from the screen and based on my research I would see no benefit in 4k at this distance with an 80" screen size. So I have big hopes for this set.

I have used the LC80LE875 mostly for gaming since I purchased it, and I haven't noticed any lag.  I think a lot of the input lag concerns are typical internet hype and chatter.


farsider3000 01-07-2014 04:51 PM

Cliffhugger that's great to hear you have had a good experience with gaming on your 80 inch. My 65 inch looks small from 14 feet away.

alk3997 01-08-2014 10:07 AM

Added links in the first append for the Sharp videos of the 2014 line-up.

Cleveland Plasma 01-24-2014 08:41 AM

Sharps are having an early release, most units should be out in March !!

alk3997 01-24-2014 01:22 PM

That's great news. Any idea of what the model numbers are for 2014?

jbug 01-24-2014 04:57 PM

It looks like they left "SuperBright Technology" out of the top of the line 4k sets and why only dual processors when others are using Quad or Quad plus dual?

seggers 01-24-2014 05:51 PM

I have a Mits 73835 RP TV and I'm starting to hanker after an upgrade. Maybe I'll wait for the 2014s to come out and see what price the 90 657 drops to. I can only seem to find them in the 6k region so far.

Seggers

madagent 01-25-2014 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

I have a Mits 73835 RP TV and I'm starting to hanker after an upgrade. Maybe I'll wait for the 2014s to come out and see what price the 90 657 drops to. I can only seem to find them in the 6k region so far.

Seggers

I have the same exact TV as you. 7 years old now. 65 inch one. I've been in Afghanistan for a year, getting back in early march. I NEED a new TV haha. Looking at all 80 inch models. I'm really between Sharp and Vizio right now. The first one to get theirs to market will probably win me over. It's going to be hard to resist the impulse buy for the first one released. But the 3k price difference is kinda crazy. I can't image the Sharp being that much better for 6k vs the 3k Vizio price tag.

seggers 01-25-2014 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madagent View Post

I have the same exact TV as you. 7 years old now. 65 inch one. I've been in Afghanistan for a year, getting back in early march. I NEED a new TV haha. Looking at all 80 inch models. I'm really between Sharp and Vizio right now. The first one to get theirs to market will probably win me over. It's going to be hard to resist the impulse buy for the first one released. But the 3k price difference is kinda crazy. I can't image the Sharp being that much better for 6k vs the 3k Vizio price tag.

Costco has them both up at the moment.

I have to admit that, after having a 73 for so long now, the 80 just wouldn't be big enough. I have my sights set on a 90 inch monster, now that Mits have stopped doing the 92s.

Seggers

http://www.costco.com/51-inch-tvs-and-above.html

Dr.Shankenstein 01-25-2014 08:22 PM

I am hoping that trends continue with projected MSRP on these and the 10-15% drop in price from official site to retailer. Sony announced the MSRP for their mid-high range display on their site and when they began to show up on Best buy.com they were all $200+ dollars less than the announce MSRP. What I am getting at is $2000 for the 60" Q+ is sounding pretty great if it holds true.

erion racer 01-26-2014 07:51 AM

Yeah trying to decide on getting a deal for the 90-LE657 or wait for the 2014 90" model? Don't know which way to go:confused:

Cleveland Plasma 01-26-2014 09:54 AM

The 90" will be about the same next year, as this year. The 90" will not be a Q+ model. Find your deal if you can, Inventory is low on the 90" so I do not think there are any real deals out there.........

erion racer 01-26-2014 04:25 PM

Does anyone know what the differences are between the 2013-2014 90" sharp?

Dr.Shankenstein 01-26-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erion racer View Post

Does anyone know what the differences are between the 2013-2014 90" sharp?
It appears that the Smart central has been updated.

Cleveland Plasma 01-26-2014 07:08 PM

No major changes is the correct answer. Basically the PQ will be about the same if not identical.

ray0414 01-26-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

No major changes is the correct answer. Basically the PQ will be about the same if not identical.

according to what i have read, and the features section on the bestbuy.com website(the new Q series is now listed but available soon), the Q+ tvs have 4k upscalers for all content to optimize resolution. the 2013 models i believe do not.

Captbill 01-30-2014 01:59 PM

ray0414, Get the same impression about the upscalers on the Q plus model, plus the coupla million extra shiny bits compared to the 2013...That is the only reason I am waiting on the 2014"s, seems they should have better picture quality over the 2013's...I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma Monitor that has a superb picture and am reading the 2014 Quattro Plus is supposed to equal the Panny Plasma. Bill

fafrd 01-30-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captbill View Post

ray0414, Get the same impression about the upscalers on the Q plus model, plus the coupla million extra shiny bits compared to the 2013...That is the only reason I am waiting on the 2014"s, seems they should have better picture quality over the 2013's...I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma Monitor that has a superb picture and am reading the 2014 Quattro Plus is supposed to equal the Panny Plasma. Bill

Where did you read that (Quatro+ = Panny Plasma)??

Unfortunately, all of the 2014 Sharp panels including the Quatron+ are edge-lit, and I'm afraid that means that black levels and shadow detail will come nowhere close to that of the best Panny Plasmas (ZT/VT60).

If only Sharp had revived the best-ever FALD technology from the Sharp Elite and combined it with the Quatron+ technology - now that would have been a panel that might have equaled the ZT/VT60...

As it is, these Quatron+ panels are likely to exceed the ZT/VT60 in terms of resolution only (1080p+/4K- versus straight 1080p for the plasmas).

And on that subject, it's not clear that the Quatron+ is going to offer a superior picture over the 2013 1080p models, at least not until 4K content becomes available. And by then, the Quatron+ will offer a better image than a 1080p panel but will offer an inferior image to a 'true' 4K panel...

I know Sharp is facing a great number of challenges, and I am sympathetic to that. But that being said, I am very disappointed to see that they have chosen to invest in this Quatron+ 1080p+/4K- gimmick rather than putting some 2013 R&D effort into reviving and cost reducing the outstanding FALD technology they had developed for the Elite 'Best-ever LCD'...

Sharp had the lead and I fear they have allowed themselves to piss it all away :-(

I guess we'll have to wait to see how things unfold over the next 12-18 months...

-fafrd

gadgtfreek 01-30-2014 05:23 PM

Quote:
Sharp AQUOS Quattron+ (Q+) Series - SQ Line:
• 60”, 70” Class Screen Sizes
• Silver-Brushed Plastic Thin Bezel
• Highest Resolution Full HD with Quattron + Revelation Technologies
• Built in Upscaler for HD Content
• SmartCentral 3 with Miracast
• 240Hz Panel
• 3D Ready
• 4 HDMI Inputs (4K Ready) and 2 USB Ports
• Bluetooth Audio
• Dual Core Processor
• Wallpaper Mode
• TV/Web Split Screen
• MSRP $2,299.99 - $3,099.99

Sharp AQUOS Quattron (Q) EQ Series:
• 60”, 70” Class Screen Sizes
• Black Plastic Thin Bezel
• Full HD 1080p with Quattron Technology
• SmartCentral 3 with Miracast
• 240Hz Panel
• 4 HDMI Inputs and 2 USB Ports
• Dual Core Processor
• Wallpaper Mode
• TV/Web Split Screen
• MSRP $1,699.99 - $2,699.99

Sharp AQUOS HD Series - LE650 Line:
• 60”, 70”, 80”, 90” Class Screen Sizes
• Slim Design
• Full HD 1080p
• SmartCentral Smart TV platform
• 120Hz Panel
• 2D / 3D with glasses (90”)
• 4 HDMI Inputs and 2 USB Ports
• Dual Core Processor
• Wallpaper Mode
• TV/Web Split Screen
• MSRP $1,299.99 - $8,999.99

Question from someone who knows nothing about Sharp LCD's.

PQ between EQ line and the 650 line? I see a lot of complaints from calibrators about the yellow pixel, so is the 650 a better choice? 80" is quite intruiging...


EQ vs SQ. Anyone see the new tech, is it worth $2699 to $3099 for the 70"?

Eric Van Boven 01-30-2014 10:09 PM

Sharp had the lead when they had the large sizes and everyone else maxed out at 65. Now 4k came out and everyone got huge sizes.

ray0414 01-30-2014 10:30 PM

best buy has the 70inch 857 on sale for 2799, if i coulda spared the extra 800bux i probably woulda went with that over my 65inch 7100, but with that said, im extremely happy with the PQ on my 7100, but corner flashlighting is an issue that im trying to fix.

gadgtfreek 01-31-2014 07:17 AM

I think Im putting the 70" SQ Q+ on the top of my list at the moment.

Eric Van Boven 01-31-2014 09:20 AM

The only thing I do not think I could justify is spending the price on a 90 inch when all the 4ks are coming out. 90 inch is way too expensive compared to an 80.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

I think Im putting the 70" SQ Q+ on the top of my list at the moment.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.