Samsung H8000 HDTVs at CES 2014 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-09-2014, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 1079

The flagship H8000 HDTVs from Samsung are the only 1080p models with curved screens.

Samsung is betting heavily on curved screens, including the H8000 HDTVs seen here.

Return to CES Master Post

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 2727

I just realized the "wall of TVs" at Best Buy is about to get its first wave of curved-screen TVs aimed at the mass market. I can't deny that they will stick out.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #3 of 14 Old 01-18-2014, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I just realized the "wall of TVs" at Best Buy is about to get its first wave of curved-screen TVs aimed at the mass market. I can't deny that they will stick out.

Looks like it would be more involving that wrap -around feel will put you right into the middle of the action. Now did they announce any price points yet for these guys..i would love a 65".and when will they be available?
post #4 of 14 Old 01-19-2014, 06:27 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by emofan21 View Post

Looks like it would be more involving that wrap -around feel will put you right into the middle of the action. Now did they announce any price points yet for these guys..i would love a 65".and when will they be available?

That simply does not happen. Probably the biggest disappointment with curved screens is the one that's mentioned the least—at best, they look just about the same as a flat screen of the same size. There is never, ever a sense of "wow, that's more immersive."

That improved sense of immersion comes from other advances in image quality such as enhanced detail, more motion resolution, larger screen sizes, and higher contrast ratios. All of that gets packaged in a curved screen, and then the curved screen gets the credit for the TV having a better-looking picture.

post #5 of 14 Old 01-19-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:

That simply does not happen. Probably the biggest disappointment with curved screens is the one that's mentioned the least—at best, they look just about the same as a flat screen of the same size. There is never, ever a sense of "wow, that's more immersive."

That improved sense of immersion comes from other advances in image quality such as enhanced detail, more motion resolution, larger screen sizes, and higher contrast ratios. All of that gets packaged in a curved screen, and then the curved screen gets the credit for the TV having a better-looking picture.

I don't think so much credit for a better looking picture . But the curve screen makes for a more substantial viewing angle for your peripherals. IMO. We have been watching movies on curved screens for decades. That's what's inside movie theaters, So I don't see where the disappointment in the new design lies...biggrin.gif
post #6 of 14 Old 01-19-2014, 02:21 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

I don't think so much credit for a better looking picture . But the curve screen makes for a more substantial viewing angle for your peripherals. IMO. We have been watching movies on curved screens for decades. That's what's inside movie theaters, So I don't see where the disappointment in the new design lies...biggrin.gif

The size of the screen makes a big difference in terms of whether the curve does anything for the viewer.
eclipsegt likes this.

post #7 of 14 Old 01-19-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:

The size of the screen makes a big difference in terms of whether the curve does anything for the viewer.
well when you consider some of the benefits. Like being able to block out more ambient light due to the curvature of the screen ..especially if you have windows on either side of the screen. Besides..im sure they wont curve, say a 32" screen and since most people living spaces are small to medium size at best..I think a 55" curved screen would make plenty difference for viewing enjoyment...may not see that way on the floor of BestBuy...but most ppls rooms are not the size of BestBuy showroom floor.. biggrin.gif
post #8 of 14 Old 01-19-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:

Yea, I find that misleading.

Once we hit 120+ inches, the curved screens maybe feel a bit immersive... Maybe...

At 65 inches, the benefit is equally non existent to 55 inches... And I'd say the same about 45 inches and 75 inches....

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #9 of 14 Old 01-19-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Yea, I find that misleading.

Once we hit 120+ inches, the curved screens maybe feel a bit immersive... Maybe...

At 65 inches, the benefit is equally non existent to 55 inches... And I'd say the same about 45 inches and 75 inches....
All depends on the size of them room...all things are relative
post #10 of 14 Old 01-19-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I remember when having a flat screen was a good thing. tongue.gif

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #11 of 14 Old 01-19-2014, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

I fully agree. I recently got to see the LG curved OLED in person. The PQ was incredible but then I started paying attention to the curve.

On the 55" screen the curve was actually unnoticeable from the front view. It looked as if the TV was totally flat. From the side view the TVs curve was more noticeable, but it created an odd illusion that would be very distracting. I can't imagine a curved 65" being too much better.

On the other hand, a TV 80" or bigger might be better with a curve.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-20-2014, 12:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:

All depends on the size of them room...all things are relative

It doesn't depend on that. The TV size is the same irrespective of the room size. A 55-inch TV is never going to feel immersive unless you sit yourself about 4-5 feet from it (or closer).

The reason why it "works" on jumbo screen sizes (at all) is that eventually the distance difference between the corners and the center starts to become noticeable. That will never be true on a 65-inch set at any normal viewing distance. It will be truer on a 120-inch set at some normal viewing distances.

A legitimate question is whether you want it curved anyway.... (See below).
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsegt View Post

I fully agree. I recently got to see the LG curved OLED in person. The PQ was incredible but then I started paying attention to the curve.

On the 55" screen the curve was actually unnoticeable from the front view. It looked as if the TV was totally flat. From the side view the TVs curve was more noticeable, but it created an odd illusion that would be very distracting. I can't imagine a curved 65" being too much better.

On the other hand, a TV 80" or bigger might be better with a curve.

I don't believe it would be better. It's true that directly on, it might feel a bit more interesting. But I go to plenty of movies, the vast majority of which are show on completely flat screens, and I never, ever find myself wishing the screen was curved. But I can promise you that even on a 120-inch (or larger), the people off to the sides will find the curved screens weird at home. And that won't change. The near corner gets pushed away from you in an odd enough way that bringing the far corner closer is not enough of a benefit. This is especially true because the center of the screen ends up feeling shoved backwards when viewed off from the sides. The drawing closer of the far corner actually exacerbates this effect. This doesn't even begin to talk about other distortion effects, it's just the illusion of perspective and distance being warped by a screen that is not at all designed for the content....

On giant "Cinerama" type screens, you end up inside the cylinder and, honestly, the effect is still odd outside the sweet spot in the center. It's not as bad, but it's still odd. The reason why projected images are sometimes shown on curved screens has nothing to do with immersion, however, but is about countering optical distortion. None of that exists on flat panels, which raises the question of why curved screens do....

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #13 of 14 Old 01-20-2014, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

I remember when having a flat screen was a good thing. tongue.gif

Still is😉

I don't see how a curved screen of any kind would be beneficial unless maybe you're sitting at the focal point of the tv's arc.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-20-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

It doesn't depend on that. The TV size is the same irrespective of the room size. A 55-inch TV is never going to feel immersive unless you sit yourself about 4-5 feet from it (or closer).

The reason why it "works" on jumbo screen sizes (at all) is that eventually the distance difference between the corners and the center starts to become noticeable. That will never be true on a 65-inch set at any normal viewing distance. It will be truer on a 120-inch set at some normal viewing distances.

A legitimate question is whether you want it curved anyway.... (See below).
I don't believe it would be better. It's true that directly on, it might feel a bit more interesting. But I go to plenty of movies, the vast majority of which are show on completely flat screens, and I never, ever find myself wishing the screen was curved. But I can promise you that even on a 120-inch (or larger), the people off to the sides will find the curved screens weird at home. And that won't change. The near corner gets pushed away from you in an odd enough way that bringing the far corner closer is not enough of a benefit. This is especially true because the center of the screen ends up feeling shoved backwards when viewed off from the sides. The drawing closer of the far corner actually exacerbates this effect. This doesn't even begin to talk about other distortion effects, it's just the illusion of perspective and distance being warped by a screen that is not at all designed for the content....

On giant "Cinerama" type screens, you end up inside the cylinder and, honestly, the effect is still odd outside the sweet spot in the center. It's not as bad, but it's still odd. The reason why projected images are sometimes shown on curved screens has nothing to do with immersion, however, but is about countering optical distortion. None of that exists on flat panels, which raises the question of why curved screens do....
This may be true to some degree..but not all EYES are created equal...And for 3D viewing is just argumentative to say that the experience wouldn't be more profound and immersive. And why any1 would want to be sitting on the side of any screen is beyond me. Especially in a dedicated theater. I just have to accept that some people just hate change and will argue that it serves no purpose other than design. Just like the countless who argue why we need 4K displays smdh biggrin.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Ces 2014

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page