Toshiba Radiance HDR at CES 2014 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 01-09-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 1084

Toshiba's new flagship UHDTV (L9400U, 58" and 65") and HDTV (L7400U, 47" and 55") include a feature called Radiance, which doubles the brightness compared with conventional TVs. Developed internally, the SuperBright LEDs are mounted in a full array behind the LCD panel and implement local dimming to further expand the dynamic range.

There was no side-by-side comparison of the L9400U with Radiance and a more conventional TV, but it did look very bright.

Return to CES Master Post

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

gadgtfreek likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-10-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Count me as interested in the 9400U 65".

I owned a 2009 Regza with 96 zones of FALD, and it was a mostly nice set. This and the Vizio reference series have my eye.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #3 of 31 Old 01-10-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

Toshiba's new flagship UHDTV (L9400U, 58" and 65") and HDTV (L7400U, 47" and 55") include a feature called Radiance, which doubles the brightness compared with conventional TVs. Developed internally, the SuperBright LEDs are mounted in a full array behind the LCD panel and implement local dimming to further expand the dynamic range.

There was no side-by-side comparison of the L9400U with Radiance and a more conventional TV, but it did look very bright.

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Scott,

did the Toshiba Rep give you any idea how many local dimming zones they have implemented in the new Radiance FALD panels? The old Regza apparently only had 96 dimming zones and I have heard from some owners that it was often pretty visible when individual zones were being brightened or dimmed (the 'candle walking across the room' effect). I'm very curious to know if Toshiba has improved their technology since then and is now implementing an Elite-class number of 200+ dimming zones on the new Radiance FALD panels. Any insights you may have greatly appreciated...

-fafrd
post #4 of 31 Old 01-10-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 323
+1?

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #5 of 31 Old 01-20-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm very interested in finding out more about these TVs. I came real close to buying a 65" L7300 due to its combination of picture quality and price. I had seen it at Sears next to Sharp and Samsung models, and the Toshiba was as good or better. I ended up going with a Panasonic 60ST60, but the dang aggressive ABL is driving me crazy, due to the dim screen whenever the image is white or bright.

post #6 of 31 Old 01-23-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

I'm very interested in finding out more about these TVs. I came real close to buying a 65" L7300 due to its combination of picture quality and price. I had seen it at Sears next to Sharp and Samsung models, and the Toshiba was as good or better. I ended up going with a Panasonic 60ST60, but the dang aggressive ABL is driving me crazy, due to the dim screen whenever the image is white or bright.

ABL?

-fafrd

p.s. Scott, any chance you could take a few minutes to follow-up on my questions to your original post?
post #7 of 31 Old 01-23-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

ABL?

-fafrd

p.s. Scott, any chance you could take a few minutes to follow-up on my questions to your original post?

ABL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd1A6o1UsOs
post #8 of 31 Old 01-23-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

ABL

Yes, that is ABL. My Toshiba 50HP66 plasma from about 2007 had no ABL that I ever noticed, and had a nice vivid picture. When it died and was going to cost close to $600 to repair it, I ditched it(which I now regret), not knowing that these newer Panasonic plasma TVs have such aggressive ABL. I now have a Panasonic 60ST60, and it has a great picture as long as the screen is not mostly white or bright. Whenever there is a mostly white or bright screen, the ABL will dim it down to an unacceptable(to me) degree. Overall, the picture is good enough, and I do like the other advantages of plasma, so I guess I'll keep it for now.

post #9 of 31 Old 01-23-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ABL

Auto Brightness Limiter - thanks. Does it also effect movie playback or only computer display & gaming?

Do all plasmas show ABL or is it a problem that only crops up in certain designs/generations?

-fafrd
post #10 of 31 Old 01-23-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

ABL will affect(dim) any mostly white or bright screen, regardless of the source. However, most movies do not have a lot of mostly white or bright screens.

I think I've read in the plasma forums here on AVS that the Samsung plasmas may have less ABL than the Panasonics, but I have no specifics on that. Once you know what ABL is and does, it's pretty easy to tell if you play around with a TV for a while.

post #11 of 31 Old 01-23-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ABL will affect(dim) any mostly white or bright screen, regardless of the source. However, most movies do not have a lot of mostly white or bright screens.

I think I've read in the plasma forums here on AVS that the Samsung plasmas may have less ABL than the Panasonics, but I have no specifics on that. Once you know what ABL is and does, it's pretty easy to tell if you play around with a TV for a while.

Thanks - have to admit that ABL was one of the limitations of plasma that I had not encountered in my research on this forum and other places like CNET. If I had ever seen the kind of partial background luminescence change like the link you provided showed, I would have noticed it. The week I had a 65ZT60, we only watched relatively dark movies like Star Trek Into Darkness, The Matrix, and Lord of the Rings and I saw no evidence of ABL on any of those. We also watched a bit of TV and did some video gaming but that was during daytime and my viewing standards (and attention to picture quality) were not at the same level, so I can't say if occasional evidence of ABL from that kind of content might have slipped past me or not.

Appreciate the heads-up,

-fafrd
post #12 of 31 Old 01-23-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks - have to admit that ABL was one of the limitations of plasma that I had not encountered in my research on this forum and other places like CNET. If I had ever seen the kind of partial background luminescence change like the link you provided showed, I would have noticed it. The week I had a 65ZT60, we only watched relatively dark movies like Star Trek Into Darkness, The Matrix, and Lord of the Rings and I saw no evidence of ABL on any of those. We also watched a bit of TV and did some video gaming but that was during daytime and my viewing standards (and attention to picture quality) were not at the same level, so I can't say if occasional evidence of ABL from that kind of content might have slipped past me or not.

Appreciate the heads-up,

-fafrd

By far the easiest way to test the ABL, if you have a cable or satellite box, is to, while displaying a white or bright screen, hit the "info" button which brings up, in my case, a horizontal blue panel of information about the currently playing program. With my cable box, this blue panel takes up about the bottom fourth or third of the screen. What happens is that when I bring up this blue panel, the remainder of the image above will brighten considerably. If I hit the button again, then the blue panel expands to take up about two thirds of the screen, and then the remaining picture above the blue panel brightens even more. What's crazy is that when this occurs, the remaining picture above the blue panel is very vibrant, contrasty, and pleasing. But as soon as I exit out of the info panel, the screen will then dim back to where is was before. You will not notice this phenomenon unless there is a preponderance of bright content on the screen. It is particularly evident on CNN because they usually have a pretty bright banner of information across the bottom of the screen. The blue panel covers this banner and in turn mitigates the ABL as long as it is pulled up.

post #13 of 31 Old 01-24-2014, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 108
any word if these new FALD sets are actually being built by toshiba? I know they stopped using their Regza branding here and sold their NA factory to Compal few years ago, and haven't really released anything interesting since then. I remember the SV670 pretty fondly and really liked the '09 XV645 CCFL I had. Would be great to count Toshiba back in as a real competitor in the high-end panel game.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Silver RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #14 of 31 Old 01-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

ABL is why I got rid of my panny plasma. I am in Flyer's country and watch a lot of ice hockey. My Samsung FALD LED LCD does a better job overall watching movies and sports !
post #15 of 31 Old 01-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

+1 AVS Forum on Google+
Scott is Toshiba using 10 bit panels or is it just brighter LED'S?
post #16 of 31 Old 01-24-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6athome View Post

Scott is Toshiba using 10 bit panels or is it just brighter LED'S?

Scott appears to have abandoned this thread he started :-(

-fafrd

p.s. don't know if it's appropriate within forum etiquette to PM him on this or not...
post #17 of 31 Old 01-27-2014, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Bumping this as I'd like to hear more about this set from people who saw it at CES.
Dalumberjack likes this.
post #18 of 31 Old 01-31-2014, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
This is pure speculation on my part. I believe we will not hear much about these sets, if at all, until the competition starts putting out products and prices that it will compete with in a meaningful way. It would be prudent for Toshiba to wait and see the competition and the market they generate. None of the high end FALD sets have been priced yet and until they hit the streets they are vaporware. It is within reason that it may never hit the streets for various reasons: price (think Vizio), perceived quality (similiar price I rather get the Sony) and the inevitable professional reviews (it just may not have enough zones). Toshiba has to weigh many factors, given their product specs and cost structure, to determine whether there is a space for them in the high end market. Personally, I hope they find a space as I would be very interested in the 47 inch model for the bedroom.
post #19 of 31 Old 02-06-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

CNET just published this review on the Toshiba L9300U: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/toshiba-65l9300u/4505-6482_7-35566941.html

All I can say is I hope Toshiba has seriously upped their game over the past year...

-fafrd
post #20 of 31 Old 02-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

CNET just published this review on the Toshiba L9300U: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/toshiba-65l9300u/4505-6482_7-35566941.html

All I can say is I hope Toshiba has seriously upped their game over the past year...

-fafrd
CNET said it was a late review of the 2013 model. I'm awaiting reviews on the L7400U, the 1080P with the Radiance display for 2014. I'm with you, they better be better.
post #21 of 31 Old 02-09-2014, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

-fafrd

I wouldn't even remotely base a judgement of their latest top tier television based upon that set. That set was your standard edge lit LED setup, their new set is using full array local dimming. It's also the first Toshiba TV in a long time to use components designed in house rather than being sourced from the outside.
post #22 of 31 Old 02-09-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post

I wouldn't even remotely base a judgement of their latest top tier television based upon that set. That set was your standard edge lit LED setup, their new set is using full array local dimming. It's also the first Toshiba TV in a long time to use components designed in house rather than being sourced from the outside.

I'm hoping you're right, as a long time owner of Toshiba products, including my laptop, my RCA(Toshiba) HD-DVD player, and 50HP66 plasma TV, which was very good! I'm very interested in these UHD sets.

post #23 of 31 Old 02-09-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post

Quote:

-fafrd

The switch from edge-lit to FALD would not do much to allay my concern - putting out crappy TVs with substandard performance for the class reflects poorly on the company no matter what.

Your second comment regarding in-house components would be a reason for me to think the performance of the L9400U could deliver a significant step up from the L9300U. Where did you see that information?

I've always had the highest respect for Toshiba's technology and own several of their products (including a now-unused HD-DVD player biggrin.gif). The Toshiba I thought I knew would not have put out a product that underperformed the competition for the same class device, and unfortunately, the review of the L9300U implies that that is exactly what the company has done in 2013.

Let's hope that that was an anomaly and that the L9400U proves that Toshiba is back to their usual standard of putting out class-leading products...

-fafrd
post #24 of 31 Old 02-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

I have a old 720p monitor tv from Toshiba and it is still working and the kids play wi on it. The crappy china TV's are almost gone and that is from making TV's for the name brands.
I don't think the Toshiba TV's will be any worse than the new Sony out sourced TV's . I bet they will be made by foxcom or some other china tv maker.
post #25 of 31 Old 02-16-2014, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

I just found this about who is making the panels for Toshiba and Panasonic

Innolux to supply high color gamut Ultra HD TV panels to Toshiba and Panasonic starting 3Q13

Julian Ho, Taipei; Alex Wolfgram, DIGITIMES [Tuesday 20 August 2013]

Innolux will reportedly supply Toshiba and Panasonic with 50-, 58- and 65-inch high color gamut Ultra HD TV panels starting third-quarter 2013, according to industry sources.

The panels are expected to have color saturation as high as NTSC 100% and come equipped with LED backlighting that uses red and green phosphors instead of yellow ones along with color filters that are reduced in density, which will help reduce color distortion, the sources said.

The sources added that the TVs could be released as early as September

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130820PD214.html
post #26 of 31 Old 02-16-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Innolux to supply high color gamut Ultra HD TV panels to Toshiba and Panasonic starting 3Q13

Innolux will reportedly supply Toshiba and Panasonic with 50-, 58- and 65-inch high color gamut Ultra HD TV panels starting third-quarter 2013, according to industry sources.

The panels are expected to have color saturation as high as NTSC 100% and come equipped with LED backlighting that uses red and green phosphors instead of yellow ones along with color filters that are reduced in density, which will help reduce color distortion, the sources said.

So this practically confirms that Panasonic will be coming out with their FALD LCD that they debuted at CES.

Good to know that it wasn't a prototype.
post #27 of 31 Old 02-16-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

September 2013, this appears to be old news...

We are now approaching Q2 2014 and no timing yet of when Toshiba will be releasing the Radiance panels...

-fafrd
post #28 of 31 Old 02-16-2014, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

September 2013, this appears to be old news...

We are now approaching Q2 2014 and no timing yet of when Toshiba will be releasing the Radiance panels...

-fafrd
Yes it is old news but it takes time to produce the panels, so it is not old news from the marketing end.
post #29 of 31 Old 02-17-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Makes sense.
Supply the panels in 3rd Quarter of '13. Start designing, manufacturing & testing new panels through 4th quarter '13 & 1st quarter '14.

Release the sets midway through 2014.

If they were supplying the panels just now, I would be worried they would arrive by the end of the year.
post #30 of 31 Old 02-17-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Makes sense.
Supply the panels in 3rd Quarter of '13. Start designing, manufacturing & testing new panels through 4th quarter '13 & 1st quarter '14.

Release the sets midway through 2014.

If they were supplying the panels just now, I would be worried they would arrive by the end of the year.

The usual term for what you are calling 'supply' above is 'sample'

'Supply' generally implies that the manufacturing line is running and a continuous 'supply' of panels has begun...

Between the supply of panels coming in and delivery of TVs to the market going out, there may as much as a month to 'manufacturing cycle time' but not much more than that. From delivery of first samples through release of qualified production, 6 months is probably realistic and perhaps even too aggressive - may take as long as 12 months to get the final production line qualified///

If the schedule you have outlined is realistic, it means they are about 6 months late versus where they thought they would be last August...

-fafrd
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Ces 2014

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page