Sharp Aquos Advantage - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 03-11-2014, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hey, Greeno. I will be interested to see what they show up with. My current model has very good black uniformity and I know it is the luck of the draw.
I've only had one power cycling incident since they swapped out the power supply and that was the next day -- it always seems to happen after an adjustment of some kind.
If the one they bring is deficient in any way, I will reject it on the spot. I plan to darken the room and just plug in the new one with no inputs to see the black level.
If it is cloudy or has flashlighting issues, they will not touch the one I already own. She told me that the same model is still being manufactured -- maybe for the Mexican
market? Maybe that's why it's coming up from a border town in Texas? I trust them to do the right thing -- they have paid for 4 visits and 3 components so far without
arguing about it. They told me I can reject the new one or I can see how it runs over the 90 day warranty period if it initially looks ok. We shall see...
clary81 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 03-11-2014, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
John thanks for the calibration settings for 3d and I hope the replacement tv works out for you and if not like you said keep what you have!!!
post #33 of 50 Old 03-11-2014, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

smile.gif
post #34 of 50 Old 03-12-2014, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So, I had everything set to test the new set -- blinds closed up tight and a dark room to see the black level. I had them plug it in right out of the box without touching my TV.
It wouldn't come on! The chevron flashed very bright white 4 or 5 times, paused and repeated over and over. Hitting the power button or the remote power button made
it switch to the normal, dimmer white steady chevron, but nothing came on and it would revert back to the bright flashing pattern. Does anyone know the error codes for
the Quattrons? Not that it matters. They took it back and I will demand a brand new set with sequins now. No mister nice guy!mad.gif
post #35 of 50 Old 03-12-2014, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I called Aquos Advantage and they were very nice in offering to find a new TV of similar quality. I told them that I would be willing to pay an adjustment for a better model -- I don't
want to get something inferior. I said that I absolutely didn't want another refurbished model delivered -- that I would worry about its pedigree and past as long as I owned it.
I'll find out what they will offer in a few days -- I told them no hurry, since the current one is good 99.99% of the time and is under a 90 day warranty from the last repair anyway...
post #36 of 50 Old 03-13-2014, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey, because I am getting rid of the TV one way or another, I thought I would throw caution to the wind and see what maximum backlight would do to my settings.
To my surprise, everything stayed the same! It rendered everything with the same level of detail, but with more vividness. Really nice to know that! The black level
is washed out just a little bit, but it stays evenly illuminated in a dark room. The OPC keeps it under control at the settings I published. I lowered the backlight to
+12 from the maximum of +16 and kept the vivid look of the picture, while easing my mind a bit about overtaxing the LEDs. I ran the set in a bright room with the
maximum setting for a couple of hours and the top and bottom of the set barely got warm from the LED strips running at maximum power.
So, if you aren't worried by the possibility of wearing out your LEDs a little quicker, you could try pushing the backlight from the -4 I published to +12 and let the OPC
sort it out automatically. It is speculation on my part that the yellow phosphor burns off quicker at higher settings -- based on research on white LEDs in general...
post #37 of 50 Old 03-13-2014, 06:44 PM

Hey John thanks for another great posting but I think I will keep my settings the way they are I don't want to over work the leds to soon I need this tv to last awhile :-).
post #38 of 50 Old 03-14-2014, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You're wise, Clary. The extra work that the LEDs do at +8, 12, or 16 just makes everything look more vivid. I'm surprised that the overall balance of the picture stays the same.
It's a credit to Sharp engineers that backlight changes and OPC room lighting changes are so well-controlled. Running +8 in an extremely bright room looks like -4 in dim light...
post #39 of 50 Old 03-14-2014, 02:47 PM

I put my standard picture and 3d up to +8 with the backlight it sure does make it look more vivid but I won't go any higher then that lol.
post #40 of 50 Old 03-15-2014, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I moved mine back to the STD position in the middle. I would advise against turning up the 3D setting since it might interfere with the effect. It already has a 'brightness boost'.
When this all settles out, I might try a different scheme with the OPC control. I might calibrate the contrast for the very lowest setting of the OPC rather than the midpoint and
then allow it twice as much range to compensate for daylight above that setting. It might be tricky to get it right, so I will wait for now. As it is, the OPC works great to change
the settings to compensate for room light without being obvious about it. Using its full range may or may not maintain the control that it seems to possess. We shall see...
post #41 of 50 Old 03-17-2014, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sharp is sending a brand new TV of the same model as soon as they locate one. Yaay!
post #42 of 50 Old 04-16-2014, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

...or not.
I called March 31st to see if they had an estimated date. They did not. They had to wait for a shipment to their warehouse. I asked if they still sold TVs directly, since they
have a warehouse and they do not. No explanation of what shipment or what warehouse. Meantime, the TV power cycled once in a while and has settled down since 3/23.
They had originally given me the option of getting the set from them directly or else going through BestBuy, who had sold me the defective set. I chose Sharp, thinking there
would be less red tape. Meantime, the model on the shelves at BestBuy has changed to one with stainless steel horizontal bands on top and bottom, which I do not prefer to
the subtle anodized brushed aluminum with mitered corners. I don't know what they are planning, if anything. I feel like I've been punked, but the defective set is working for now...
post #43 of 50 Old 04-23-2014, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

TV had another unwanted reboot yesterday. The first in a while. Still no word from Sharp about a replacement...
post #44 of 50 Old 05-20-2014, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So, the reboots are few and far between, which still makes this TV better than a refurbished set that would likely be sent as a replacement at this late date (new one never materialized).
I will wait for it to fail completely before asking again. Meantime, I've cranked the backlight up to +4 and tinkered with the blue color. I turned the value (brightness) of the blue all the
way to maximum, turned the color intensity of the blue all the way down and turned the hue of the blue all the way to cyan. Almost nothing changed! The overly-blue appearance of
some images is improved, but not what you would expect by pegging the values all the way at their limit. As the LEDs age, the yellow phospohor will fade and the blue will be even
worse. Hopefully, that will be many years from now. I'm not happy with the cyan on this set, but that seems to be a product of the blue pixels being too purplish rather than any problem
with the green -- it makes nice deep saturated greens, thanks to the yellow pixel relieving it of its 'mixing' obligation with red to make yellow. Anyway, life goes on...
post #45 of 50 Old 05-29-2014, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sharp called to day to ask for the correct serial # off the set -- the one they have on file is erroneous.
They are still planning on replacing the 2 year old set with a brand new one, but they didn't say when.
It's been working flawlessly for a while, so I tend to forget that it has an irreparable problem.
Meantime, that new setting for the CMS Blue -- cranking the intensity all the way down, the hue all the way to green, and the brightness all the way up
seems to have opened the blue pallette nicely. No more neon glowing blue tee shirts and there are delicate shades from indigo to aquamarine.
Why they didn't send it out of the factory like that, I don't know. They chose a slightly purple blue because the LEDs are more purplish and it gives higher brightness.
I guess I answered my own question. Changing the values of the blue in the Color Management System doesn't harm the overall brightness or white level, though...
post #46 of 50 Old 05-31-2014, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK, so Sharp called back today and promised a brand new top-of-the-line 70 inch 3D 2014 model with 2 pairs of Blue Tooth glasses and a one year warranty.
He said that they don't want to offer something less than what I have, so they are offering an upgrade instead.
I was away from home at the time, but I thanked him and said I would agree to it. Stay tuned for the final results...
post #47 of 50 Old 06-01-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I will be receiving an LC70UQ17U model to replace the current set.
I haven't researched it yet, but it is supposed to be equal to or better than the one it is replacing...
post #48 of 50 Old 06-06-2014, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The new set is the top of the line this year.
If it has the same level of uniform black as my current TV, I will be well-satisfied.
Much more complicated than the current set for adjustment.
It uses bluetooth instead of infra-red for 3D synch. Not sure why the switch.
It will play 4K content in enhanced 1080p,
YouTube has some 4K content to try out on the new set.
It should arrive within a week or so. Can't wait!
post #49 of 50 Old 06-13-2014, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post
The new set is the top of the line this year.
If it has the same level of uniform black as my current TV, I will be well-satisfied.
Much more complicated than the current set for adjustment.
It uses bluetooth instead of infra-red for 3D synch. Not sure why the switch.
It will play 4K content in enhanced 1080p,
YouTube has some 4K content to try out on the new set.
It should arrive within a week or so. Can't wait!
Sharp came through yesterday -- swapped a new 70UQ17U for
the defective 70LE845U. Very nice set so far, with only minor
tweaks. Clouding is no worse than the old set and no flashlighting.
Colors are much better -- the overpowering blue cast of the LEDs
has been replaced with a cleaner white. Kudos!
post #50 of 50 Old 06-13-2014, 05:01 AM

Liked: 0
very well,It still retains the clean white and the excellent face tones, but it greatly improves the already-weak Cyan output.I will post the final results in another week or so -- depending on how much time I have to spend in the dark! thank you
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Lc70le847u 70 Inch Lcd 70 Class Quattron Led Smart 3d Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page