Sharp Aquos Advantage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 01-09-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I bought a Sharp LC-70LE845U Quattron 3D 70" LED TV at the end of May, 2012.
4 months later, I called the Aquos Advantage folks to report a rare but repeating problem with the set briefly shutting off and back on again.
The representative told me that if the problem returned, I would be covered under warranty because it was reported under warranty.
I hesitated to get it repaired with such a minor and seemingly vanishing problem -- repairs can mess other things up, like the perfect screen (no flashlighting or clouding).
A couple of weeks ago, the problem returned and I contacted them. With the usual runaround, I finally got approval for the repair at their expense.
I still hate to have it tampered with, but the representative said it would be harder to get warranty repair the longer I waited.
Today, they have officially approved a repair, whatever it might entail. I sure hope to keep the set in it's otherwise perfect working order -- wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 01-17-2014, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Diagnostics turned up nothing. Tried a hard re-set and found that the set no longer has wifi.
I haven't used any apps since the first week or so, preferring computer for computer fare.
I assumed I had quit getting updates because the set was older.
Turns out that the lack of connectivity was causing the brief shutdowns (we think) and a
new motherboard is on order. Glad Sharp is honoring the warranty on this. Stay tuned...
post #3 of 50 Old 01-24-2014, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

New mainboard didn't fix the WiFi, but it did add Advanced Quad Pixel Plus to the menu. Not sure that's a good thing. A replacement antenna has to be ordered next...
post #4 of 50 Old 01-24-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Glad to see Sharp fixing the problem & no giving you the runaround.

Did it take the technician a long time to replace the parts?
post #5 of 50 Old 01-25-2014, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The mainboard was quickly swapped out. The WiFi unit will take more work because it is embedded behind one of the stand supports and the set will have to lay prone to get to it.
I am very pleased that Sharp took the problem seriously. Having never used the WiFi since the very earliest days of ownership, I would not have known of the problem.
The WiFi unit will be swapped for new next week and that should finish the repair. Meantime, I will need to hunt for the Quad Pixel Plus functionality elsewhere, since my model
of TV did not have that with the original mainboard. My understanding is that it makes a marginal difference in picture quality. The calibrations that I had originally done will need
to be re-done -- good thing I published those on this forum, though I had greatly modified those first efforts by the time of the repair. Wish me luck...
post #6 of 50 Old 01-25-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Happy to hear your problem is being fixed that's great. I haven't had any issues with my tv and still am using your calibration you posted. Was seeing you had adjusted your calibrations more since you last posted the other ones is there any chance you could post your new calibration settings?
post #7 of 50 Old 01-26-2014, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey, Clary.
I will post new calibrations when the repair is complete and I've had a chance to go over everything.
Already, I've decided not to use the Quad Pixel Plus 2 control that the new mainboard came with.
It makes finely-textured test patterns turn yellow! Not only that, but it adds black and white noise as well.
The idea behind it is good -- to utilize the yellow subpixel to shape very fine detail, but the test pattern shows bad results.
Otherwise, I am also going to concentrate on the Cyan color on my next calibration.
After the hard re-set and subsequent installation of the new mainboard, I saw a technique to get white balance more accurate.
I do the 10-point adjustment of the white balance, starting with the Low Temp setting and moving it towards 'sunny' range.
But then I go back into those adjustments and fine-tune the green/blue balance to get a linear range of the Cyan.
It still retains the clean white and the excellent face tones, but it greatly improves the already-weak Cyan output.
I will post the final results in another week or so -- depending on how much time I have to spend in the dark! smile.gif
post #8 of 50 Old 01-26-2014, 05:50 AM

Wow just reading this post I got lost lol!!!!!! Well I look forward to your new calibrations and are you also doing new calibrations for the 3d option also?
post #9 of 50 Old 01-26-2014, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, I will post new 3D as well, though there is less lattitude for 3D, owing to the need for saturated colors and crushed blacks to avoid artifacts.
Oh, and I changed my mind on the Quad Pixel 2 -- it seems to add detail to actual images (instead of test patterns), so it is turned on 'Advanced'.
For those without this setting, it doesn't alter any other settings.
Do you think I should post it here or in the original post where I mention the model number?
post #10 of 50 Old 01-26-2014, 03:09 PM

Oh ok well I don't have the quad pixels setting so I can't change that. Its up to you where you want to post the calibrations just hope I can find it lol.
post #11 of 50 Old 01-29-2014, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, the guy is coming out today to put in the new WiFi.
Just in case he needs to re-boot the system and wipe out my settings, here they are, better than ever.
I haven't re-done the 3D, so these are just the 2D. I'll do the 3D later on:

AV Mode: (Standard)
OPC: (On)
Backlight: (-4)
Contrast: (+24)
Brightness: (+1)
Color: (-2)
Tint: (0)
Sharpness (+10)

CMS Hue: All (0) except Cyan (+12)
CMS Saturation: R: (-9), Y: (0), G: (-16), C: (+30), B: (-5), M: (0)
CMS Value: All (0) except C: (-11), B: (+10)

Color Temperature -- (Low)

10 Point: ON:

Position
1: R: (-30), G: (+30), B: (+30)
2: R: (-13), G: (+30), B: (+30)
3: R: (-10), G: (+30), B: (+30)
4: R: (-3), G: (+30), B: (+30)
5: R: (-8), G: (+30), B: (+30)
6: R: (-3), G: (+30), B: (+30)
7: R: (-8), G: (+30), B: (+30)
8: R: (-7), G: (+16), B: (+10)
9: R: (-3), G: (+12), B: (+25)
10: R: (-5), G: (0), B: (0)

Motion Enhancement: (120 High)
Active Contrast: (OFF)
Gamma: (0)
Film Mode: (Advanced +10)
Digital Noise Reduction: (OFF)
Monochrome: (OFF)
Range of OPC: (Max +16, Min 0)
post #12 of 50 Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good to see some decent warranty support still practiced.
post #13 of 50 Old 01-29-2014, 02:15 PM

Hey John on the position 10 option you must have meant -30 for both R and G there is no + for the option am I right?
post #14 of 50 Old 01-30-2014, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry! I meant '0' for Red and Green and -5 for Blue. I got caught up in the numbering somehow. I'll edit the page if I can.
The very top of the scale of brightness is way too blue because of the type of LEDs used in the set. Cutting it back makes a better color.
Thanks for the catch, Clary!smile.gif
post #15 of 50 Old 01-30-2014, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The WiFi is still not working and the technician will have to make a 4th trip out.
We thought we had it set up and he left before I actually tried out some internet searches.
It shows bars of strength from the router, but the apps themselves don't work.
The question is what is left to replace -- the mainboard and the WiFi component are both new.
Stay tuned. Meantime, II have my excellent picture back to decent settings...
post #16 of 50 Old 01-30-2014, 05:04 AM

Oh ok gotcha and not a problem settings look great look forward to your 3d settings next thank you and hope the tech figures out your issue somehow.
post #17 of 50 Old 01-31-2014, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

TV is still doing exactly what it did before.
It shuts off momentarily, (as if searching for an update is my guess), and then comes back on.
They are coming next Wednesday to try again.
I have no idea what can be done that hasn't been done, but that's why they will do it and not me!
post #18 of 50 Old 01-31-2014, 09:32 AM

Wow John that really sucks really hope they can fix your issue and if not hopefully Sharp will just send you out a new tv or something.
post #19 of 50 Old 02-06-2014, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got my WiFi back -- turns out that it was a modem/router issue. I called the repair company, who referred me to Sharp, who referred me to my ISP.
The old connection was not robust, so we switched to a different method of encryption and it works like a charm. I still won't use it, but it can at least update again.
The gal at Sharp was skeptical that the lack of connectivity had anything to do with the power cycling problem. The power supply is on order as one last attempt
to solve that problem. She said that they would take other measures if the problem persists -- not sure what that would be, other than swapping out the entire set.
I have some tentative new 3D settings, but I won't publish them till they have been auditioned with several films to make sure they work without causing artifacts.
Stay tuned...
post #20 of 50 Old 02-09-2014, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I nudged my settings a bit more to make the brightest highlights more neutral -- they were tending a bit pink:
I will adjust the settings above and on the original page. Service guy is coming on theh 14th to install a new power supply under warranty.
Hopefully, I can get back to enjoying the set for many more years thereafter...
post #21 of 50 Old 02-09-2014, 10:25 AM

Happy to hear things are coming together for you John and when you get all your settings to perfection I look forward to seeing them on my tv good luck and thanks.
post #22 of 50 Old 02-14-2014, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Servicing is complete, after 4 visits. It seems to be fine. Smugdes on the frame and the edges of the screen from so much lifting for service, though.
Anyone have a good way to safely clean these beasts? From what I've read, the semi-matte finish is particularly prone to streaking from cleaners.
It's not noticeable except in strong daylight with the thing switched off. Still...
post #23 of 50 Old 02-18-2014, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got it cleaned up, good as new, with a damp cloth. I will audition my 3D settings soon and post them, unless they need tinkering.
post #24 of 50 Old 02-23-2014, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oops! TV did the EXACT same trick again on Thursday. Sound cut, picture went black, chevron light blinked off then on and re-started the TV.
I called Aquos Advantage early Friday morning and they said they had to kick it around for a few days before getting back to me with a solution.
I hope I don't have to give up the TV for something inferior -- I would rather keep this one with its occasional hiccup. If only the problem were worse...mad.gif
post #25 of 50 Old 02-23-2014, 05:53 AM

Really sucks that your having this issue they need to just give you a new tv the same model or higher.
post #26 of 50 Old 02-23-2014, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In hindsight, I'm sure they wish they had.
It's odd that the onboard diagnostics didn't pick up something.
My opinion is that there is an LED that is drawing too much current.
The technicians are not allowed to go into the light panel for any reason.
He did everything he could outside that panel, so the next step is total replacement.
Not knowing if the problem will ever go away or get worse makes it hard to decide what to expect from them.
A refurbished model just like mine would have to perform just as well and have just as few "miles" on the unit.
I doubt that they have that model in stock any more, so what will be the 'equivalent' and will the 3D work with my glasses.
All will be hashed out next week. Stay tuned...
post #27 of 50 Old 02-24-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They are offering a factory refurbished of the same model that I can refuse when delivered if it doesn't measure up.
I will have to pull the blinds to see if it has clouding or flashlighting, which my current one doesn't.
They will have to find one, meantime. I should just refuse the refurb one now and save them the trip. Nah!..mad.gif
post #28 of 50 Old 03-06-2014, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A replacement is on its way from south Texas. It will arrive in my area on the 10th and they will set up an appt to install it.
I will ask for it to be plugged in and turned on without a signal so I can see the black level on the screen.
That will be a deal breaker if it is cloudy or has flashlighting. My current one is good and the power cycling has only happened
once since the service guy was last here -- and just a day after that. If the next week doesn't have another episode, I will
probably keep the current set and take my chances...
post #29 of 50 Old 03-11-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, the replacement TV is due to arrive in the next few days, so I had to write down the 3D settings to save.
I watched 'Gravity' on the weekend with these setting and they were satisfactory:

AV Mode: Standard
OPC: Off
Backlight: -2
3D Brightness Boost: Middle
Contrast: +32
Brightness: +4
Color: +2
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +10

Hue: All normal, except Cyan: +15
Saturation: All -15, except Blue: -16
Value:
R: -19
Y: -5
G: -18
C: -10
B: -11
M: -15

Color Temp: Middle
10 Point: Off
Active Contrast: On
Gamma: 0
Film Mode: Advanced +10
Digital Noise Reduction: Middle

These settings compensate for the color shift and brightness reduction through the active 3D glasses.
I will input all my settings on the new TV and let you know if anything needs tweaking. It will be a good test of uniformity between sets! Wish me luck...
post #30 of 50 Old 03-11-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi John,
they're not offering you an 857 model? from my reading of that thread, it's got much better dark screen uniformity than the 847's. I'm surprised there are any refurb's for the 847 series around as it's 2 model years ago.
Best, jeff
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Lc70le847u 70 Inch Lcd 70 Class Quattron Led Smart 3d Tv
Gear in this thread - Lc70le847u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page