Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 505 Old 06-12-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Nothing really to say, there has been no official word beyond what has been released. There may have been some off the record information shared, but it will not get posted on the forum until the embargo is over....
post #303 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipa View Post
Bump, cause I really want a new TV.
Buy something else.

Vizio doesn't want your business. If they did, they wouldn't be super tight lipped about their product when they're late to market and don't have a reputation for making high'ish end product.
post #304 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Buy something else.

Vizio doesn't want your business. If they did, they wouldn't be super tight lipped about their product when they're late to market and don't have a reputation for making high'ish end product.
Yeah. that's it, Vizio doesn't want your business.

I can't wait for comments that Vizio rushed the P series to market because of reliability issues.

Samsung PN60E7000
Samsung PN51F5300
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #305 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Yeah. that's it, Vizio doesn't want your business.

I can't wait for comments that Vizio rushed the P series to market because of reliability issues.
Argue with me all you want. My comment is not a flippant one. When you're trying to break out into the higher layers of the TV market for 2014 Vizio is doing it all wrong. First of all, they're late to market. They made big promises at CES, but have pretty much dropped into radio silence about the P and Reference series since then. Nearly every other player has gotten the majority of their 2014 models out into the sales channel. If Vizio wants people to hold out for their products and not buy competitor's products, they need to give people a reason to wait. They need to be dropping breadcrumbs and keeping people interested in the sets with controlled and systematic releases of information about them to keep the hype/buzz building and growing.

They're not doing any of that. Heck, Vizio had a press event this week on Tuesday and wouldn't even talk about the P-series on the record. Does that seem like a sound strategy given that Sony and Samsung have had their UHD sets on sale for months? I'm not expecting them to give shipping dates, but to not even make somewhat general forward looking statements about what the forthcoming P-series will bring when you've already got the press there checking out your M-series? What a lost opportunity...
rlindo and dsinger like this.
post #306 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 638
^^^I rather like it when a manufacturer doesn't keep promoting product still largely in vapor status.

IMO it quickly becomes counter productive to drop too many breadcrumbs and no loaf. As gross as that may sound....

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #307 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Argue with me all you want. My comment is not a flippant one. When you're trying to break out into the higher layers of the TV market for 2014 Vizio is doing it all wrong. First of all, they're late to market. They made big promises at CES, but have pretty much dropped into radio silence about the P and Reference series since then. Nearly every other player has gotten the majority of their 2014 models out into the sales channel. If Vizio wants people to hold out for their products and not buy competitor's products, they need to give people a reason to wait. They need to be dropping breadcrumbs and keeping people interested in the sets with controlled and systematic releases of information about them to keep the hype/buzz building and growing.

They're not doing any of that. Heck, Vizio had a press event this week on Tuesday and wouldn't even talk about the P-series on the record. Does that seem like a sound strategy given that Sony and Samsung have had their UHD sets on sale for months? I'm not expecting them to give shipping dates, but to not even make somewhat general forward looking statements about what the forthcoming P-series will bring when you've already got the press there checking out your M-series? What a lost opportunity...
Really though outside of the shipping dates are we waiting for much more information? We have the specs and the price, really all people are waiting for is the release\shipping dates. I guess it would be nice to have the official word on what will be offered in the set, but if they match what has been released they would just be rehashing the same information. I would love to hear if they let the attendees know a rough shipping date on the P series, but I don't think they are falling behind at all. The prices alone would make people wait for them (which is why most people are waiting).
post #308 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Really though outside of the shipping dates are we waiting for much more information? We have the specs and the price, really all people are waiting for is the release\shipping dates. I guess it would be nice to have the official word on what will be offered in the set, but if they match what has been released they would just be rehashing the same information. I would love to hear if they let the attendees know a rough shipping date on the P series, but I don't think they are falling behind at all. The prices alone would make people wait for them (which is why most people are waiting).
Well the zone counts apparently have changed for some to go up to 96 zones now, but that's not 100% confirmed. How about some tidbits in terms of how many zones at what size panel. How about a time frame that's a little more specific than "fall". How hard would it be to make a statement like, "In the next 2 months we expect to begin shipping the first P-series sets which will build on the performance of these M-series sets offering up to __ dimming zones, UHD resolution, and other enhancements..." How about dropping a hint on which size will be released first? Instead they wouldn't say a single thing on the record.
post #309 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well the zone counts apparently have changed for some to go up to 96 zones now, but that's not 100% confirmed. How about some tidbits in terms of how many zones at what size panel. How about a time frame that's a little more specific than "fall". How hard would it be to make a statement like, "In the next 2 months we expect to begin shipping the first P-series sets which will build on the performance of these M-series sets offering up to __ dimming zones, UHD resolution, and other enhancements..." How about dropping a hint on which size will be released first? Instead they wouldn't say a single thing on the record.
eh, if they say we should start to see them in the next month or two and then that two months passes everyone gets upset because its longer than Vizio said it would be. Its better to NOT say anything (even though this is against what we are so used to these days). Its very rare to see a company with such a good lock on the information that it makes people wonder and sometimes get upset that there is no information available. When the time is right the information will be available, if people cant wait then there are many choices for them to choose from. I don't think Ive ever seen someone so in a tiff over a company actually following what should be the standard.....
post #310 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
eh, if they say we should start to see them in the next month or two and then that two months passes everyone gets upset because its longer than Vizio said it would be. Its better to NOT say anything (even though this is against what we are so used to these days). Its very rare to see a company with such a good lock on the information that it makes people wonder and sometimes get upset that there is no information available. When the time is right the information will be available, if people cant wait then there are many choices for them to choose from. I don't think Ive ever seen someone so in a tiff over a company actually following what should be the standard.....
I agree people seem to forget that vizio is making alot of noise, but they're still a relatively small company compared to the others. they don't ship worldwide and we can obviously tell they don't have as many factories as the others do. im waiting it out anyway until September or November by then they'll be a lot more to choose from. you can already tell its causing quite a stir that a value brand is besting some top name sets. i dont see what all the fuss is about no brand loyalties here, just looking for the set that provides the best overall performance.
post #311 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm not the least bit in a tiff. I just think they're incompetent and are shooting themselves in the foot. Announcing a variety of products in early January at CES and then hoping people will dutifully wait until "fall" without any sort of interim updates along the way... I don't see wee how that's good marketing.

Myself, I'm waiting for the 2014 VE shootout before buying. I don't expect we'll see any Vizio participation in the event, and I'm okay with that.
rlindo likes this.
post #312 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Speaking from personal experience, overhanging the market and getting a reputation for non- or late delivery is something that can critically injure a small company.

If you need an example that most people on this forum have seen, use HTC vs. Samsung.
post #313 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I'm not the least bit in a tiff. I just think they're incompetent and are shooting themselves in the foot. Announcing a variety of products in early January at CES and then hoping people will dutifully wait until "fall" without any sort of interim updates along the way... I don't see wee how that's good marketing.

Myself, I'm waiting for the 2014 VE shootout before buying. I don't expect we'll see any Vizio participation in the event, and I'm okay with that.

Compared to Samsung, Panasonic, and Sony, Vizio is a very small company, with a very small marketing budget. Has anyone seen a nationwide TV campaign for Vizio yet? They have sponsored some sporting events like golf tournaments, but their overall advertising presence is small. They've built their business by starting in the low-cost area and improving their products until their value proposition, a.k.a. "Bang for the Buck", has made them a force to be reckoned with as they move up the product food chain.

For a company with relatively limited resources, I think they are doing quite a few things right. Better product makes them MORE credible, and getting it right is more important than timeliness for them at this point, IMO.
post #314 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 2085
Quote:

You won't see any Panasonic TVs there, either. And, when is that shootout going down anyhow? Where is LG with its 2014 OLEDs?

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #315 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

other companies are being tight lipped as well lg for example with their 4k oleds theirs a few prices, this seems to be another highly anticipated product and the same can be said for toshiba and panasonic. not all sets are out yet so its to early to say they're shooting themselves in the foot when only samsung and sony are the only manufacturers that have nearly completely released their 2014 line up.
post #316 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzo3 View Post
Compared to Samsung, Panasonic, and Sony, Vizio is a very small company, with a very small marketing budget. Has anyone seen a nationwide TV campaign for Vizio yet? They have sponsored some sporting events like golf tournaments, but their overall advertising presence is small. They've built their business by starting in the low-cost area and improving their products until their value proposition, a.k.a. "Bang for the Buck", has made them a force to be reckoned with as they move up the product food chain.

For a company with relatively limited resources, I think they are doing quite a few things right. Better product makes them MORE credible, and getting it right is more important than timeliness for them at this point, IMO.
Vizio advertises a ton with the NFL, and had a Super Bowl ad in 2010:

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough

Last edited by Mavinwow; 06-13-2014 at 10:18 AM.
post #317 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I asked Vizio today about what the schedule is for the P-series and here is the response I received:

"The P-Series will hit stores this fall! We will have more details closer to launch. Be sure to sign-up for notification of the release on our website. Visit http://store.vizio.com/subscribe to join the VIZIO email list. Thanks!"

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #318 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
You won't see any Panasonic TVs there, either. And, when is that shootout going down anyhow? Where is LG with its 2014 OLEDs?

Ive only seen July thrown around loosely...Surprised that Panasonic decided not to throw their hat in with the 4k sets, since they have been generating some buzz recently. I was hoping for the Vizio P to at least get a date within the next month or so, but I don't think that will happen. My TV is on its way out and I might just give up and get the M series instead.
post #319 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
I asked Vizio today about what the schedule is for the P-series and here is the response I received:

"The P-Series will hit stores this fall! We will have more details closer to launch. Be sure to sign-up for notification of the release on our website. Visit http://store.vizio.com/subscribe to join the VIZIO email list. Thanks!"

That's the SOP response that everyone has gotten its a copy and paste (same thing people got for the M series before the announcement.
post #320 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Points taken.

Vizio isn't late to the market in terms of what they promised but it's true, other manufacturers have 4K models on the market. I expect the P series will be trickling out this August (still hoping for next month though) with an official PR in September. I agree with Ph8te, we largely know what to expect from this series. I guess I just don't feel there's any great misdeed with Vizio having the manufacturing schedule they have with the P series. It is what it is.

Samsung PN60E7000
Samsung PN51F5300

Last edited by venus933; 06-13-2014 at 04:57 PM.
post #321 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzo3 View Post
Better product makes them MORE credible, and getting it right is more important than timeliness for them at this point, IMO.
Except they don't seem to be doing that. Read the reviews of the E and M series models. The CMS systems and 10 point white balance controls seem to have all sorts of sloppy bugs.

Last edited by Stereodude; 06-13-2014 at 12:02 PM.
post #322 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Mid-July from what I last heard. I thought Robert was still trying to get a Panasonic in the shoot.
post #323 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm not going to shed any tears over Panasonic not being at the shootout. I'm not really interested in edgelit sets and the AX900 isn't ready either. However, Panasonic didn't show the AX900 at CES as a ready to ship product and get a bunch of awards for it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf13 View Post
other companies are being tight lipped as well lg for example with their 4k oleds theirs a few prices, this seems to be another highly anticipated product and the same can be said for toshiba and panasonic. not all sets are out yet so its to early to say they're shooting themselves in the foot when only samsung and sony are the only manufacturers that have nearly completely released their 2014 line up.
FWIW, LG didn't announce their product lineup at CES. They showed some prototypes, so I wouldn't exactly use them as the benchmark here. Toshiba and Panasonic aren't major players in the US TV market, Sony and Samsung are. Also, Toshiba is close. The models the US ones are based on are out in Japan.
post #324 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 12:02 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 2085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Mid-July from what I last heard. I thought Robert was still trying to get a Panasonic in the shoot.
It's not going to happen AFAIK.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #325 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The big issue I have with the 'upcoming' Vizios is that of screen sizes.

With the R series they go from 65" to 120" and nothing in-between! Hello? How many homes will have the wall space for a 120" screen. Add to that, many people like myself, want a larger screen size (75"-85") but not gargantuan to fully enjoy the benefits of 4K.

So for me that pretty much eliminates the "R" series and leaves the "P" series. As to whether the P series will be as good as sets from Sony & Samsung, remains to be seen. More importantly, even there, we're talking about a max screen size of 70". So little interest from me for the P series either.
post #326 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We should know come Monday. The final list of contenders/participants is supposed be posted then.
post #327 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Except they don't seem to be doing that. Read the reviews of the E and M series models. The CMS systems and 10 point white balance controls seem to have all sorts of sloppy bugs.
I think it depends on your definition of "getting it right." The reviews of both E and M series I have read (Cnet, Sound & Vision, and here on AVS) are quite complimentary in terms of performance at the respective price points.
Drlink and venus933 like this.
post #328 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_H View Post
I think it depends on your definition of "getting it right." The reviews of both E and M series I have read (Cnet, Sound & Vision, and here on AVS) are quite complimentary in terms of performance at the respective price points.
Agree, I would also add reviewed.com. I'm pretty confident they'll have a review of the M series next week.

It really needs to be pointed that the M series without taking price into consideration holds it own against flagship 1080p display models from Samsung and Sony. Even the P series has mid tier pricing compared to Samsung and Sony. The P series is going to be a standout product. Fortunately the 70" model will be big enough for me but then again when I first got my 60" Samsung plasma I thought that would be big enough.

Samsung PN60E7000
Samsung PN51F5300

Last edited by venus933; 06-13-2014 at 04:54 PM.
post #329 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The big issue I have with the 'upcoming' Vizios is that of screen sizes.

With the R series they go from 65" to 120" and nothing in-between! Hello? How many homes will have the wall space for a 120" screen. Add to that, many people like myself, want a larger screen size (75"-85") but not gargantuan to fully enjoy the benefits of 4K.

So for me that pretty much eliminates the "R" series and leaves the "P" series. As to whether the P series will be as good as sets from Sony & Samsung, remains to be seen. More importantly, even there, we're talking about a max screen size of 70". So little interest from me for the P series either.
I guess if you want to spend $8K on a Sony or $40K on a Samsung for their FALD designs then yeah, you can get a better television than a P series.

Samsung PN60E7000
Samsung PN51F5300
post #330 of 505 Old 06-13-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^ My major issue is screen sizes. They have zilch in the 75-85" arena.
Rf13 likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Ces 2014

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page