post #31 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

I'd imagine anyone who bought a couple of 3D bluray's and already has the 3D Compatible equipment all hooked up wouldn't be considering this series.

I wonder how many people will buy it before realizing it doesn't support their 3d gear and only find out after they hook it up and throw in the latest 3d disney offering?

Someone would have to be pretty clueless to get that far before realizing they had an issue since they wouldn't get any glasses with the TV and they probably didn't get as far as using their previous 3D set without learning that most sets have different glasses.
tlwiz1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 661
clueless? reminds me of LCD sales over the past few years. But I'm picturing all those people buying tv's at costco specifically - they tend to feel pretty protected by their return policy. There's enough new features and logos to be displayed all over that box that one might just take it for granted that its backwards compatible with their previous 3d visios which wer passive.
timc1475 likes this.
post #33 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post

Not much but I guess its a little snack to hold us over lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQgflpFqoOc

He said the same thing about the R Series being released in 'the second half of the year' :-(

Let's hope that that is mainly for the 120" R Series and that they find a way to release the 65" R Series more quickly (maybe with the release of the P Series???)...

-fafrd
post #34 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Imagic, you mentioned that these displays now have perfect motion handling in another thread, can you expand on that and how they have improved? Are they at the level of what a plasma has been capbable of? or, better yet, are they better?
post #35 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Ugh. Might be a long wait to see how these do. One good thing is we would know more about the 4K blu-ray standard by then.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Denon 4520CI / Emotiva XPA-3
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #36 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

clueless? reminds me of LCD sales over the past few years. But I'm picturing all those people buying tv's at costco specifically - they tend to feel pretty protected by their return policy. There's enough new features and logos to be displayed all over that box that one might just take it for granted that its backwards compatible with their previous 3d visios which wer passive.

Buying CE devices without ensuring they do everything "you" need is called learning in the school of hard knocks.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
post #37 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Quote:

Buying CE devices without ensuring they do everything "you" need is called learning in the school of hard knocks.

ha!I certainly graduated that school after dealing with a 3.7$k Samsung Flagship ES8000 LCD panel, with honors if I say so myself wink.gif
post #38 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

As have I. I really want them to get these out earlier so we can get a darn review.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
post #39 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

Ditto! I'm guessing the 120" will be, at the very least, $20K, even with Vizio being as competitive as they are. I still wish they would make an 84" set in their Reference Series to compete with LG, Samsung, Toshiba, and Sony's 84" UHD sets. It would be much more "consumer-friendly" in both size and price.

OK I guess I kinda made an idiot out of myself with my wishful thinking.

However, at 20K I am not sure you need to be price competitive because IMHO at that price you are getting close to the "price does not matter" category.
post #40 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

IMO, itll be a real statement if they even decide to bring the 120" to market.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
post #41 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post

However, at 20K I am not sure you need to be price competitive because IMHO at that price you are getting close to the "price does not matter" category.

That's exactly the category it's in. Actually it's probably not really for any consumer category in particular -- it's for bragging rights and to grab headlines. It's "competition" is the LG that will have an MSRP of $70K and a Samsung with an MSRP of $150K.
post #42 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 3374
Quote:

Imagic, you mentioned that these displays now have perfect motion handling in another thread, can you expand on that and how they have improved? Are they at the level of what a plasma has been capbable of? or, better yet, are they better?

I don't have a ton of details—CES is nuts, if you stop to discuss something for too long, you cause a traffic jam and journalists start piling up. I would need to see a side-by-side comparison of a Vizio Reference series vs. plasma—and know the settings for both—to make that judgement call.

What I know is that action scenes in Oblivion had all the motion resolution I could even ask for, and no soap-opera effect. I don't know how the new sets will measure, but I look forward to finding out if my first impressions jibe with lab-measured reality.

Mark Henninger
post #43 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I don't have a ton of details—CES is nuts, if you stop to discuss something for too long, you cause a traffic jam and journalists start piling up. I would need to see a side-by-side comparison of a Vizio Reference series vs. plasma—and know the settings for both—to make that judgement call.

What I know is that action scenes in Oblivion had all the motion resolution I could even ask for, and no soap-opera effect. I don't know how the new sets will measure, but I look forward to finding out if my first impressions jibe with lab-measured reality.

As are we all (looking forward to that biggrin.gif )

Mark, as one of the few humans that apparently viewed both the Vizio R(eference) Series and the Toshiba Radiance panel at CES last week, I'd be interested in any early impressions you have about how those two products compared (as well as the Vizio P Series if your memory is still fresh).

Thanks in advance,

-fafrd
post #44 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post

Quote:

Ditto! I'm guessing the 120" will be, at the very least, $20K, even with Vizio being as competitive as they are. I still wish they would make an 84" set in their Reference Series to compete with LG, Samsung, Toshiba, and Sony's 84" UHD sets. It would be much more "consumer-friendly" in both size and price.

when you think of the space it would take up and also consider the price, it seems to me that it really begins to compete for customers that have the type of HT spaces that can accomodate a large projector screen. Amongst them, it would certainly be competitive amongst the crowd that wants brightness without sacrificing their black levels. Also, it helps them with Aspect Ratilo issues since it can dyamically shift AR's unlike with CIH anamorphic setups. At 20k, it still represents a premium though.
post #45 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 07:22 PM

Liked: 11
The 120" has got to be expensive but we will all be buyers in ten years and the projectors will be put out to paster. This is why they make these products to make a statement and plant a seed. $20k I doubt it. Probably more like $50k+. Did you watch the video the metal on the bottom takes days to machine and polish. $$$$$
post #46 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT cOz View Post

The 120" has got to be expensive but we will all be buyers in ten years and the projectors will be put out to paster. This is why they make these products to make a statement and plant a seed. $20k I doubt it. Probably more like $50k+. Did you watch the video the metal on the bottom takes days to machine and polish. $$$$$

What Video? Does it apply to the 65" as well?

-fafrd
post #47 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

What Video? Does it apply to the 65" as well?

-fafrd

http://ces.vizio.com/#skip

Go down to bottom and watch video. I think with the time and size, its the 120" stand. Machined for 72 hours and polished for up to 3 days.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
post #48 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I just watched the Verge interview again because it was linked in the other thread. I did not notice the first time, but whatever LCD the Reference series 65" is beside in that Reference room has some gray blacks, pretty bad.

http://youtu.be/ecCxYWvccF8?t=6m25s

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
post #49 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

So they'll give projectors to priests? biggrin.gif
post #50 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

You will notice I had said, "At the VERY LEAST, $20K." I was purposely being very conservative. I'm sure it will be well above $20K, perhaps even above $50K. I am inclined to think, like others, that the 120" may never really make it to the mass consumer market, though it may be sold to large corporations and the like.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #51 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 10:04 PM

Liked: 36
Obviously since Vizio hasn't priced the 120 inch beast yet there is alot of speculation as to what that price will be...(personally I don't even know where to begin to speculate myself) but I just re-posted the interview with Vizio's CTO on another thread so I watched it again. At 5:39 when asked "are you going to make this thing?" - he emphatically says yes "absolutely". Even more intriguing (and this goes to pricing), at 6:04 he says "we have every intention of going into mass production". If thats true, I would think some of the prices being thrown around on here are way too high. Maybe I'm wrong and Matt Mcrae is just seriously delusional as to how big their potential deep-pocketed market is! wink.gif

(The links above will take you directly to the times in the video I'm referencing...)
post #52 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterNincompoop View Post

Obviously since Vizio hasn't priced the 120 inch beast yet there is alot of speculation as to what that price will be...(personally I don't even know where to begin to speculate myself) but I just re-posted the interview with Vizio's CTO on another thread so I watched it again. At 5:39 when asked "are you going to make this thing?" - he emphatically says yes "absolutely". Even more intriguing (and this goes to pricing), at 6:04 he says "we have every intention of going into mass production". If thats true, I would think some of the prices being thrown around on here are way too high. Maybe I'm wrong and Matt Mcrae is just seriously delusional as to how big their potential deep-pocketed market is! wink.gif

(The links above will take you directly to the times in the video I'm referencing...)

Interesting!!

I truly hope I'm way off and that Vizio is going to shock the Home Theater world by giving us an amazingly low price for the 120", one that could really work with the masses. cool.gif

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #53 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

http://ces.vizio.com/#skip

Go down to bottom and watch video. I think with the time and size, its the 120" stand. Machined for 72 hours and polished for up to 3 days.

Got it - thanks.

I sure hope that if those numbers for the bezel are for real, that it applies only to the 120" R Series and that the 65" R Series is a bit more down to earth...

-fafrd
post #54 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterNincompoop View Post

That's a red flag for me. If he had said 'we are going into mass production' I would be more optimistic. But intentions that are here today can be gone tomorrow. I read his use of the word 'intention' to mean he purposely wanted to leave himself and the company the wiggle room to maintain some credibility when the mass production of the 120" never materializes...

Let's hope he only felt the need for that wiggle room regarding the 120" R Series and that the 65" panel is for real.

-fafrd
post #55 of 538 Old 01-13-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

That's a red flag for me. If he had said 'we are going into mass production' I would be more optimistic. But intentions that are here today can be gone tomorrow. I read his use of the word 'intention' to mean he purposely wanted to leave himself and the company the wiggle room to maintain some credibility when the mass production of the 120" never materializes...

Let's hope he only felt the need for that wiggle room regarding the 120" R Series and that the 65" panel is for real.

-fafrd

It was his use of the word "absolutely" as to whether or not they were making it or not, followed by the "mass production" comment that made me think the prices may be lower than what has been thrown around. My point being, if you intend to mass produce it, you must have some expectation of affordability, no? OR, the prices on here are spot on, in which case he's delusion as to how big his market for this monster really is...

Either way its just fun to speculate for sh*ts and giggles as I have no intention of buying one this year (most likely the M-series will fit my bill) - I would however consider the 65 R at some point down the road when 4K, HDR content etc are readily available.
post #56 of 538 Old 01-14-2014, 12:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 774
The 65" R series is real when you can buy one. Until then it's just talk. Vizio is like every other TV mfr. that talks... They usually deliver but sometimes? Not. Samsung, LG and Vizio have all been guilty of this.
RadTech51 likes this.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #57 of 538 Old 01-14-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

The 65" R series is real when you can buy one. Until then it's just talk. Vizio is like every other TV mfr. that talks... They usually deliver but sometimes? Not. Samsung, LG and Vizio have all been guilty of this.

I hear ya bud...
post #58 of 538 Old 01-14-2014, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

I truly hope I'm way off and that Vizio is going to shock the Home Theater world by giving us an amazingly low price for the 120", one that could really work with the masses. cool.gif

Absolutely, Vizio is a company which actually makes products to sell. With the 120" they may easily target high-end dedicated HT projector market where people splurge $15-20K on the projector alone and will be happy to change this to a display if its price is in similar range.

It is not known who makes 120" panels for Vizio an by what method. It is known that the 110" panel used by Samsung is made by the chinese CSOT by stitching projection masks of four 55" panels on a single sheet of glass. This is very delicate custom process done for each panel separately which makes that even at chinese labor costs the panels can not be cheap.
post #59 of 538 Old 01-14-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

They almost sound like some of the bigger CE companies. Im a panny plasma guy, so I can use them for example. Each year the "VT" series got the new improvement goodies, and some of the new and last years tuff trickled down to the other lines. This happened each year. They say as much in the video about Vizio and the "R". That seems to be the flagship that gets all the new stuff, some of which makes it in other lines, and you should see it improve yearly, or every 2 years. Something with the Sony XBR line and the W models.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
post #60 of 538 Old 01-14-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Dolby Vision at CES

http://www.twice.com/articletype/ces2014/dolby-launches-dolby-vision-program-ces/109659
Quote:
Dolby Vision provides a picture-optimization technology and standard that expands the dynamic range of content and display characteristics of LED-based LCD TVs to produce higher contrast ratios, deeper black levels and a wider color gamut – all of which contribute to more lifelike and vibrant images.

From the TV hardware side, Dolby Vision offers direction for the use of local dimming technology behind full-array LED-backlit LCD TV panels. This local dimming instructs sectors of tiny LED lights across the LCD back plane to increase or decrease their brightness in accordance with the properties of the image.

By controlling the level of dimming in areas of the picture, deeper, truer blacks emerge while enabling enough control to ensure that details within shaded areas not blotted out of the field of vision. The effect also serves to boost the apparent brightness of the panel, when called for in the image.

During CES, Dolby announced that Sharp, TCL and Vizio had signed on as manufacturer partners that will be participating in the Dolby Vision program on select TV models.

From the content side, Dolby Vision expands the information in the signal source to help properly equipped TVs, including non-Dolby Vision-enhanced sets, better respond to yield better levels of dynamic range.

Thus far, Netflix, Vudu, Amazon and Microsoft (Xbox) have signed on with the Dolby Vision program.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Ces 2014 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page