Forum Jump: 

post #3031 of 3049 Old 11-23-2014, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post
The panel inside the 60" is a 120Hz but Vizio uses a simple frame rate converter, not Motion Interpolation, to reach 120Hz.
The good is that 24Hz content is properly handled by the set, no 3:2 pulldown needed.
The bad is that 60Hz content is just doubled, thus it offers no real advantage over a 60Hz set.

It's "Clear Action 180" feature labeled Motion Blur Reduction in the sets settings:
With it off the backlight scans at 120Hz.
With it on scans at 180Hz, 120Hz on and 60Hz off...the uneven sequence creates flicker especially on 24Hz content since 24 can't be multiplied evenly into 180.
How is 24p content handled correctly if it just doubles 60hz to 120hz? Wouldn't you still get 3:2 pulldown, just with all the frames doubled?

Also you talk about the backlight scanning at 120hz, what does that have to do with the panel itself refreshing 120 times per second, the backlight and the actual panel displaying the image are 2 completely different things, I don't see how the backlight strobing at any rate can actually affect the quality of the images displayed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 3049 Old 11-24-2014, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, all.

First time posting here, though I've used this forum as an educational resource in the past.
I'll be buying a television within the week, here, and had it narrowed down to the Vizio E550i. I recently found a Samsung H7150 for about $300 more than the Vizio, and it intrigued me. That's about as high a price as I'd like to pay, and I'm really only considering it because it was previously out of my price range.

I'm not someone who would take advantage of a 3D television, and I don't need a robust smart-TV experience. By all accounts, based on features, the Vizio fit what I was looking for.

So, ultimately, my question is this: Eliminating any price considerations, how much better a television (if at all) is the Samsung H7150 than the Vizio E550i?

I'll take any and all comments on pure performance and experience into review and then consider the price. It's not a determining factor, but I would want to know exactly what I'm getting out of each before buying.

I appreciate any and all input. Again, I've read here for some time and appreciate the insight and conversations. My thanks in advance, all the best.
post #3033 of 3049 Old 11-24-2014, 12:11 PM

To the above post: Both televisions would be 55", used in a bedroom with a priority on good lighting (ideally dark, never bright enough to matter), and used primarily for gaming, sports, and DVD viewing. I'm happy to provide any other pertinent information.
post #3034 of 3049 Old 11-24-2014, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Amazon is apparently offering a Black Friday deal on "VIZIO 55-inch Smart LED TV for $478."

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...s#.VHOTglXF-PU

I'm guessing this must be the E550i-B2 since it's the entry model right? It's now listed at $633 on Amazon. This is precisely the set I want so I'm keenly interested. Supposedly Prime members (like myself) will get early access, but there's nothing on the web site about that or this deal. I've emailed Amazon CS and waiting for a response.

Thoughts?
post #3035 of 3049 Old 11-24-2014, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just ordered one of these units from vizio to replace a defective other model I have. My question is: is there a over the air antenna signal meter. I use a antenna and could not believe the current 70 in vizio I have does not have a signal meter for my ota antenna. I comes in handy when spinning the antenna around. thanks
post #3036 of 3049 Old 11-24-2014, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUCCO View Post
just ordered one of these units from vizio to replace a defective other model I have. My question is: is there a over the air antenna signal meter. I use a antenna and could not believe the current 70 in vizio I have does not have a signal meter for my ota antenna. I comes in handy when spinning the antenna around. thanks
I think it does, it's buried somewhere in the System Information sub-menu IIRC, you have to look hard for it or you'll miss it.
post #3037 of 3049 Old 11-24-2014, 06:57 PM

I saw a signal quality in the sub menu on the current unit I have. It always says 100%, I think that meter just tells you that you have a useable signal and therefore is always 100%. I was more interested in a 0-100% signal strength. I have 6 tvs in the house and even the little 19 in dynex from bestbuy has a meter on it. I know everyone says they are not very reliable but it is better than nothing.
post #3038 of 3049 Old 11-25-2014, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Got a new firmware today on my 40": V1.60.10-004.0443_127 that includes (among other things) a 'Gamma' setting and a 'Game Low Latency' setting...It did turn the dreaded 'Smart Interactivity' setting back on though. It's late now or I'd look around some more.
post #3039 of 3049 Old 11-25-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

There are also a couple additions to the 'Timer' menu. You can now blank the screen (useful if you're sending audio only) and there's also a 'Screen Saver' (?) that I haven't explored yet.
post #3040 of 3049 Old 11-25-2014, 01:56 PM

Talking Great deal

Managed to score the Amazon deal this morning: $478 (plus tax) for a new E550i-B2!
SirDracula likes this.
post #3041 of 3049 Old 11-25-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mismjy1 View Post
Managed to score the Amazon deal this morning: $478 (plus tax) for a new E550i-B2!
Same here. This is going to be replacing a 42" Panasonic ST30 (plasma). Are there any things I should expect this set to fall short on, besides black levels and possibly backlight evenness, when comparing to the Panasonic?
post #3042 of 3049 Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM

60" Dilemma

Good Morning All,

Been awhile since I've been here. I'll share some musings with you on the E600i B3 I picked up at Costco the other day. It is used in a bright bedroom.

1. I'm underwhelmed overall (I work in video production and perhaps I'm asking too much from this entry level tv). This replaces an aging Sharp Aquos about 7 years old. I watch mostly Directv, local ota and Blu-ray.

2. I've been messing with settings: blacks just don't look very solid, flesh tones look strange/off color, edge bleed lower right hand corner on black screen.

3. Please suggest a reference/setup disc for a more proper setup.

4. Please provide a link to E600 settings that someone has had success with.

5. Should I be try the M600?

6. Should I consider another set brand?

Thanks in advance, John
post #3043 of 3049 Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
Got a new firmware today on my 40": V1.60.10-004.0443_127 that includes (among other things) a 'Gamma' setting and a 'Game Low Latency' setting...It did turn the dreaded 'Smart Interactivity' setting back on though. It's late now or I'd look around some more.
What options are under the gamma setting? Hopefully this upgrade will come thru for larger sets also.
Im just about to return the 60" because cant get the picture right.
post #3044 of 3049 Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behic View Post
Same here. This is going to be replacing a 42" Panasonic ST30 (plasma). Are there any things I should expect this set to fall short on, besides black levels and possibly backlight evenness, when comparing to the Panasonic?
It will also fall short on viewing angle. As I'm sure you've read, you will lose saturation when viewing from more than a 20 degree angle. I was also coming from a plasma (5 year old 50" Samsung) so it has taken a little getting used to, but like others have said, the picture quality is good for the price.

Enjoy the TV, I've had it for over a month and I really like it.
post #3045 of 3049 Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeeman View Post
what options are under the gamma setting? hopefully this upgrade will come thru for larger sets also.
Im just about to return the 60" because cant get the picture right.
1.8, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.4.
post #3046 of 3049 Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just curious from a gaming standpoint, has anyone noticed or tested whether one HDMI input has less lag than the others? A lot of times various brands tend to have a side port or HDMI 2, etc that is designed for PC input and this is usually the one with the least lag.

I am satisfied as-is coming from an old plasma that was horrendous in this department. But of course, if one input is faster than the other I'd rather use this instead.
post #3047 of 3049 Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mismjy1 View Post
How did you do that? I've been looking for it for a couple days.
post #3048 of 3049 Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdub88 View Post
How did you do that? I've been looking for it for a couple days.
I just happened to check the site on Tuesday morning around 11, and it was live. I went in and it said they were all taken, but gave me the option of a wait list. I signed up and about 15 minutes later I got a message saying I could buy but had to checkout before the deal went away in about 20 minutes.

I have a hunch they may prioritize prime customers from the waitlist, but don't know for sure. I certainly didn't get any alerts - the email updates were basically worthless. Earlier I did write to Amazon customer service asking for help, and got back this message:

Quote:
I'd like to inform you that, Prime Early Access gives early access to limited-time events on MyHabit.com and select Lightning Deals on Amazon.com 30 minutes before they’re available to other customers.

Lightning Deals that are Prime Early Access deals will say so both on the product detail page and anywhere else the deal is advertised on Amazon.com. Just look for language saying "Prime Early Access." MyHabit.com events will also indicate Prime Early Access from 8:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. Pacific Time each day.
Blind luck I happened to be on the site at the right time. If I had missed the sale, I would have asked to get the deal anyway, but don't know if that would have worked.

Can't imagine doing this in the stores...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
vizio e 600-b3 , Vizio E Series E401i A2 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Lit Internet Hdtv , vizio m series m602i-b3
Gear in this thread - E401i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page