Official 2014 Vizio Exxx-Bx Series owners thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #3061 of 3559 Old 11-29-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2406 Post(s)
Liked: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
They must know lag is an issue - The 1.60.xxxxxx firmware incluse a minimal lag for gaming setting that can be applied to any profile.

Not sure if I would say that. It just makes the entire line more similar option wise (E-P). They all now have the GLL where before it was only the P series.

Sent from an system/360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3559 Old 11-29-2014, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just sold my ST60 yesterday (goodbye old friend) and have been using a E600i-B3 for the past seven days. I (practically) broke even with the sale of my previous set, but unfortunately it's going back and being replaced with a Sony W850B. The deal breaker for me is the dirty screen effect while watching hockey. I tried to live with it for a few games and found it so distracting that I see it first and the game second. It's a shame because this set met all my expectations for everything else.

I also didn't like that the color tuner applies to all custom settings instead of being independent to each one, the viewing angle and the unnecessary lean of the stand.
post #3063 of 3559 Old 11-29-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4rry View Post
I just sold my ST60 yesterday (goodbye old friend) and have been using a E600i-B3 for the past seven days. I (practically) broke even with the sale of my previous set, but unfortunately it's going back and being replaced with a Sony W850B. The deal breaker for me is the dirty screen effect while watching hockey. I tried to live with it for a few games and found it so distracting that I see it first and the game second. It's a shame because this set met all my expectations for everything else.

I also didn't like that the color tuner applies to all custom settings instead of being independent to each one, the viewing angle and the unnecessary lean of the stand.

CMS/11pt are per color temp (1 setting each for computer, cool, normal). This is the way it works on the M and P series. Good luck with the new set I know many people are happy with that one.

Sent from an system/360
post #3064 of 3559 Old 11-29-2014, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
With a 120Hz [panel] refresh rate and when you have a 24Hz input (e.g., movie from a Blu-ray disc) the display simply displays each frame 5 times (5 x 24 = 120). With a 60Hz display 3:2 pull-down must be used (repeat one frame 3 times then the next frame 2 times, etc.) which causes judder in the displayed video. Proper use of a 120Hz display can avoid this judder by using what is referred to as 5:5 pull-down, as described above for a 24 Hz source. In fact 120 Hz is kind of a magic number for TV display in the USA because it results in 2:2 pull-down for 60Hz video sources, 4:4 pull-down for 30 Hz sources and 5:5 pull-down for 24 Hz sources thus allowing a fixed number of repeated frames for any of these three input frame rates.

Moving up to the Vizo M-series and P-series TVs also adds support for frame interpolation where, rather than repeating the same frame several times, digitally created (interpolated) frames are inserted between the original frames to create the smooth motion effect that some people here hate while some others like, at least for some program material. These observations have nothing to do the backlight strobing (clear action) which is a different topic.
Thanks for the explanation, that is helpful. Does this also explain why watching sports on some channels seem to be more pixelated than others (when there is fast movement)? For instance, when watching a football game on ABC (720p), it actually looks better than a game on CBS (1080i). I've wondered if this is due to the 60Hz panel - or could it also be how much Comcast compresses certain channels?
post #3065 of 3559 Old 11-30-2014, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
How did you guys take off the "stump" at the bottom of the TV when wall mounting? ( the thing that holds the stand).

it had 3 holes for the stand to screw in, but no screw to actually take it off.
post #3066 of 3559 Old 11-30-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunaz View Post
How did you guys take off the "stump" at the bottom of the TV when wall mounting? ( the thing that holds the stand).

it had 3 holes for the stand to screw in, but no screw to actually take it off.
Not sure what set you're referring to but the Vizio E550i-2B has 4 screws that attach the stand to the TV.

There are 3 screws that attach the foot to the stand. After you attach the foot to the stand you slide the assembly into the back slot on the TV and then secure the assembly to the TV with the 4 screws I mentioned.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3067 of 3559 Old 11-30-2014, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone tried a full calibration for the E550 with Active LED Zones turned off? The CNET and other posted settings I've seen leave this feature on in their calibration, so I'm wondering what kind of impact this has since the Active LED feature is commonly disabled?
post #3068 of 3559 Old 11-30-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Official 2014 Vizio Exxx-Bx Series owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theaceman View Post
Has anyone tried a full calibration for the E550 with Active LED Zones turned off? The CNET and other posted settings I've seen leave this feature on in their calibration, so I'm wondering what kind of impact this has since the Active LED feature is commonly disabled?
Many have left it off on the e series since with the small number of zones people have found that the zones are too big. Because of the buffer zones many have found they prefer ALZ off. This may change however with newer firmware if it adjusts the dimming scheme. The best thing to do is watch the TV with both and choose what makes you happy. The only right settings are the ones you are happy with.

Sent from an system/360

Last edited by Ph8te; 11-30-2014 at 03:45 PM.
post #3069 of 3559 Old 11-30-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbrown View Post
Thanks for the explanation, that is helpful. Does this also explain why watching sports on some channels seem to be more pixelated than others (when there is fast movement)? For instance, when watching a football game on ABC (720p), it actually looks better than a game on CBS (1080i). I've wondered if this is due to the 60Hz panel - or could it also be how much Comcast compresses certain channels?
It sounds like the video is being bit starved. This could be because the local TV station that taking too much of the already limited data rate to run one or more sub-channels and/or it could be your cable company running too much compression when they re-encode the video to run thru their system.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3070 of 3559 Old 11-30-2014, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbrown View Post
It's Comcast. They are notorious for this. It's the reason I switched to Directv. 3 years later I move to a new neighborhood where I can only get Comcast and now I'm reminded everyday why I hate them.

Do you notice the issue watching Blu rays?
post #3071 of 3559 Old 11-30-2014, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The other day I noticed many of the menu options such as active LED zones, black level detail among others went missing. I'm not sure when it happened or what caused it (I haven't changed the settings). A full reset of the TV restored it.

I decided to see if this would also fix the 11pt white balance settings not being able to save. The next day my changes were still there but the day after that, they were gone again. I'm wondering if maybe the on-board memory in the e600 is perhaps volatile and only holds data for a certain amount of time. Does anyone have insight on how the internals work? My hope is we can troubleshoot this and come up with a fix since it doesn't seem Vizio is doing anything about it.
post #3072 of 3559 Old 12-01-2014, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
The other day I noticed many of the menu options such as active LED zones, black level detail among others went missing. I'm not sure when it happened or what caused it (I haven't changed the settings). A full reset of the TV restored it.

I decided to see if this would also fix the 11pt white balance settings not being able to save. The next day my changes were still there but the day after that, they were gone again. I'm wondering if maybe the on-board memory in the e600 is perhaps volatile and only holds data for a certain amount of time. Does anyone have insight on how the internals work? My hope is we can troubleshoot this and come up with a fix since it doesn't seem Vizio is doing anything about it.
Not sure about testing it, but if you call Vizio and they can't fix it, you're under warranty and they'll replace the board for you at no charge.
post #3073 of 3559 Old 12-01-2014, 08:09 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
It sounds like the video is being bit starved. This could be because the local TV station that taking too much of the already limited data rate to run one or more sub-channels and/or it could be your cable company running too much compression when they re-encode the video to run thru their system.
That makes sense. My other stations that I'm watching sports on are all based out of Indy. But, CBS is local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
It's Comcast. They are notorious for this. It's the reason I switched to Directv. 3 years later I move to a new neighborhood where I can only get Comcast and now I'm reminded everyday why I hate them.

Do you notice the issue watching Blu rays?
I figured Comcast played a part in this as well. It's just strange that only one channel seems to have a major issue with the pixelation. But, like Ron mentioned, I think my local CBS station is also contributing to this.

All other channels, streaming movies/TV, DVD's and Blu Ray's seen to be fine.
post #3074 of 3559 Old 12-01-2014, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quick question:

Since the TV can passthrough 5.1 on optical and HDMI, what is the proper setup to connect everything in my entertainment center? Is it soundbar to TV ARC, and everything to soundbar HDMI 1 and 2; or soundbar to TV ARC and everything to TV HDMI 2 and 3?

In the past I used an optical cable to make input switching easier (and because old speaker setup didn't have HDMI out). Is it simpler for the TV to control all inputs or the soundbar? I ask since I have an ATT Uverse setup where the STB is in an "always-on" state that I can't seem to turn off. The only other input at this time is an Xbox One. I'd pass the STB through the Xbox One but don't want the XB1 to be on at all times (I find the extra lights distracting :P ).
post #3075 of 3559 Old 12-01-2014, 09:00 AM

Liked: 13
I just bought the E550i-B2 today on Amazon for the Cyber Monday deal. $528 with free shipping. I was also able to use some Amex reward points, so my out of pocket was less than $280. Happy with the deal! Can't wait to get the TV. Here's the deal...final price only shows during checkout.

Looking forward to scrolling back through this thread to see all the calibration suggestions.

###
n00b
Projector: BenQ W1070 Receiver: Pioneer VSX-523-K Center: Polk CS10 Fronts: Polk TSi300 Rear:Polk Monitor 30

Last edited by caseyparsons; 12-01-2014 at 09:19 AM. Reason: typo
post #3076 of 3559 Old 12-01-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am stuck between 4 different TV selections. I will be using this for gaming and watching sports and movies primarily. So of course input lag and motion blur are the most important to me. Here are my choices and I will also list the problems with two that I am worried about but not completely sure can be fixed via settings or not. VIZIO-E390-B1E-39-1080p-60Hz-LED-HDTV Our other TV is an older Vizio and have loved it great TV, but from what I have read I am super worried about the Gray uniformity and being able to see the individual led's during sporting events and solid backgrounds. The dirty screen effect I believe that call it or something of that nature. Next choice is the Samsung-40-1080p-60Hz-LED-HDTV-UN40H5003AFXZA I have never really dealt with Samsung but with what I have read I am worried about the Motion blur on there Tv's and also heard a tale of using really cheap Capacitors on there builds. Last choice is Sony-KDL40R350B-40-1080p-60Hz-Class-LED-HDTV . I honestly am not familiar with Sony TVs either. Last choice is LG LB5550 49" 1080p 60Hz Class LED HDTV These are my choices and would love some feedback as to why or why not I should choose each one. All feedback is welcome. Please remember that whichever choice I make it will be used for Gaming,Sporting Events and Movies. Thanks so much
post #3077 of 3559 Old 12-01-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyparsons View Post
I just bought the E550i-B2 today on Amazon for the Cyber Monday deal. $528 with free shipping. I was also able to use some Amex reward points, so my out of pocket was less than $280. Happy with the deal! Can't wait to get the TV. Here's the deal...final price only shows during checkout.

Looking forward to scrolling back through this thread to see all the calibration suggestions.
How did you use Amex points on amazon? I'm curious because i want to do the same thing!
post #3078 of 3559 Old 12-01-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAnge View Post
How did you use Amex points on amazon? I'm curious because i want to do the same thing!

During checkout they give you an option if you have linked the accounts.

Sent from an system/360
post #3079 of 3559 Old 12-01-2014, 12:43 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAnge View Post
You have to add your Amex card as a payment option. Then on the checkout page, Amazon will show you how many points (translated to dollars) you can spend. Makes it VERY easy to use those points.

###
n00b
Projector: BenQ W1070 Receiver: Pioneer VSX-523-K Center: Polk CS10 Fronts: Polk TSi300 Rear:Polk Monitor 30
post #3080 of 3559 Old 12-02-2014, 07:40 AM

Purchased a Vizio E500i-B2 a few weeks ago from Walmart. Very very happy with it after doing a proper calibration. Blacks are quite black, colors pop, no lag or issue with anything thus far.

I was so happy with the set that I decided to grab a D650i-B2 from Walmart on BF for $648. From what I had read it was essentially and E-series with an HDMI input removed. Got it home and placed on the wall to find the worst LED display I've ever seen in my life. Huge light bleeds around the sides, an odd array going crazy in the middle of the screen, and a very washed out picture. Needless to say that one is going back. I currently not sure if I want to try and exchange for another or just quit while I'm ahead and find another model/TV.
post #3081 of 3559 Old 12-02-2014, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Can someone please help me out? I made a thread but no responses to it yet.
Need Help! Picture & Sound on Vizio E550i-B2
post #3082 of 3559 Old 12-02-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys, noob question. This is my first LED/LCD TV, which is better, higher backlight and lower brightness or lower backlight higher brightness?
post #3083 of 3559 Old 12-03-2014, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
I have an E700I-B3 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro. I'm watching a Premier League soccer match on the tablet, using the NBC Sports app. Is there a way to get what's playing on my tablet, to show up on the TV?
post #3084 of 3559 Old 12-03-2014, 01:23 PM

Picked up the E390-B0 from Costco the other day. I plan on posting calibration settings as soon as I get them dialed in. At first, the picture seemed a bit washed out and pinkish, but it's getting better by adjusting the Professional Settings, though you can get lost in there. My dark grays look a bit greenish and whites are still a bit warm for my taste, but it's coming along nicely for a bedroom tv.

I'll post settings later.

\m/
post #3085 of 3559 Old 12-03-2014, 02:18 PM

I'm new here and am not sure how to proceed. We own a Vizio E701i-A3. We purchased it in January of '03. We have the much talked about "white spots". Has anyone decided to just live with it as it doesn't seem to really affect our normal TV watching. My question is - do they increase in size and coverage? The ones we see don't seem to be changing any and if that's the case, being senior citizens on a fixed income, purchasing a new TV is not in our budget. Any comments?
post #3086 of 3559 Old 12-03-2014, 02:19 PM

Can't edit .... purchase date should be 2013, NOT 2003.
post #3087 of 3559 Old 12-03-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammyMike View Post
I'm new here and am not sure how to proceed. We own a Vizio E701i-A3. We purchased it in January of '03. We have the much talked about "white spots". Has anyone decided to just live with it as it doesn't seem to really affect our normal TV watching. My question is - do they increase in size and coverage? The ones we see don't seem to be changing any and if that's the case, being senior citizens on a fixed income, purchasing a new TV is not in our budget. Any comments?
Mike, I can't speak for everyone else here, but my white spots got progressively worse as time went on. They just grew in number over time. Eventually, it becomes very distracting when viewing your set.

Are you still under warranty? If you bought it at Costco, its covered for two years automatically, and if you bought the Square Trade extended warranty, you may be covered for up to five years.

I have already replaced the E701i-A3 set twice due to the white spots problem. Vizio has been great about replacing the sets with this problem. In fact, I just received my third set today. This one was a brand new E700i-B3. Hopefully this new model has resolved the white spots problem.

Even if your out of warranty, I recommend calling Vizio. You never know; it doesn't hurt to try.

Last edited by Squeeken; 12-03-2014 at 07:13 PM.
post #3088 of 3559 Old 12-04-2014, 06:12 PM

active led zones wont stay off!

I have had the e700i-b3 for a few days now, and the active LED zones won't seem to stay off! Is this just my set or is this happening to everyone? The setting in the menu still says "off" however the dimming effect is clearly going on. If I toggle the setting to "on" then "off" again it stays off until I turn it off and back on. I have tried factory reset. It is extremely annoying. Thanks for anyone who replies.
post #3089 of 3559 Old 12-04-2014, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What's the deal with overscan on the E series? My old Samsung has a "Just Scan" mode, but I can't find anything similar for the Vizio. I read that Wide mode turns off overscan, does that mean Normal mode has it enabled?
post #3090 of 3559 Old 12-05-2014, 07:13 AM

Help Newbie Sequence of Setting up New E650i-B2 & refurb components

Oh Boy, I am at a standstill as I don't quite know where to start setting up my new home entertainment system.
I have the 65" E650iB2 new, a refurb Denon S700W, a refub Sony BRP. Sony VCR-DVD player 2 Apple tvs, a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.9.5 and a LG 2 TV NAS Drive for Plex. Latest iTunes.

From what I've read I need to factory reset the Denon and the Sony to wipe out old settings.
I want to hook up all my components via the AVR ARC to TV ARC. so I get the sound out of my speakers all the tim. Everything I have hasas HDMI

This is only TV we have and I believe you only get one shot at setting it up with the help screen. I could be wrong...
Only thing is the Quick set up for the TV tells you to hook everything up first so the TV recognizes it. Gads....I need to get that TV plugged in first to even see if it works or have to take it back. The box was horrible shape so I'm worried about that.

My thoughts (could be totally all wrong) Hook only the TV up to the over the air antenna, then plug the TV and rotating antenna in. Turn those two things on and go ahead with set up (trying to avoid the Yahoo give up all your rights to privacy,) Then calibrate the TV color and audio from the settings I got here, (that you so much for those!!) I've never calibrated a TV so this will be a first.

Look forward to hearing from y'all. I figure it is better to ask first than be sorry later I did it wrong. Please know I am a newbie to all of the stereo stuff and TV, but totally am expert with the Mac computers and running the network, wireless or not.
Thank you all in advance
Katy (on the farm in NE Iowa)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
vizio e 600-b3 , Vizio E Series E401i A2 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Lit Internet Hdtv , vizio m series m602i-b3
Gear in this thread - E401i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page