Official 2014 Vizio Exxx-Bx Series owners thread - Page 118 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #3511 of 3530 Old 04-21-2015, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Vizio e600i-b3 60"

For what it's worth, I owned this TV for 2 weeks and decided to return it and picked up the Samsung UN60H6350. MUCH happier with this set.

The picture quality on the Vizio was great, but the set had some issues - mainly it would randomly shut off on it's own. I called Vizio tech support and they didn't have much to offer - just tried a hard reset, that was about it.

There was also an issue with a blotchy spot about 2"x2" burnt into the bottom left hand part of the screen.

And as others have mentioned, the Smart features on the TV were pretty weak - slow, prone to crashes.

The menus and overall user interface on this TV seemed kinda...weak. Don't know how else to describe it

I also wasn't a fan of the fact that you had to point the remote directly at the sensor on the bottom left part of the screen for the remote to actually work. Very little range/obstruction tolerance.

The picture quality on the Samsung seems very comparable. And it blows the Vizio out of the water in terms of hardware build quality, Smart features, on screen user interface...pretty much everything. But obviously that is to be expected with the price difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 3530 Old 04-24-2015, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So Woot has the VIZIO E700i-B3 70" for $1079.99 right now and I'm considering it. I need a big TV for the living room. I just got a 50" 4k Vizio refurb and love it. The reviews on this E series are scaring me however. Is anyone happy with the VIZIO E700i-B3?
post #3513 of 3530 Old 04-24-2015, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
So Woot has the VIZIO E700i-B3 70" for $1079.99 right now and I'm considering it. I need a big TV for the living room. I just got a 50" 4k Vizio refurb and love it. The reviews on this E series are scaring me however. Is anyone happy with the VIZIO E700i-B3?
I love it. All of my issues, and imo a pretty good percentage of the issues in this thread, relate to the last update prior to this most recent one Vizio released. I have no complaints after the latest update. No regrets.
post #3514 of 3530 Old 04-24-2015, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_shackleford View Post
I love it. All of my issues, and imo a pretty good percentage of the issues in this thread, relate to the last update prior to this most recent one Vizio released. I have no complaints after the latest update. No regrets.
I missed out on the 70", it sold out quick. I could use a smaller one for my kids TV to play games on, but was hoping to get that big one! RATS!
post #3515 of 3530 Old 04-25-2015, 12:52 AM

I have the E420i-B0 and am still trying to figure out if it's better to have the active led zones on or off. I know that many have said to turn them off however most of them were different sets. If I decide to turn them off would I need to change any other settings like increase my contrast. I ask because right now I'm using Cnet's settings and seen where Rtings's settings had a higher contrast with the ALZ off. I would use my WOW disc to check contrast however I seem to have misplaced it.
post #3516 of 3530 Old 04-25-2015, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
question, have an old laptop hooked up with hdmi for windows media center, display is set to 1920/1080 but it doesn't seem to fill the screen, is there a setting or something i'm missing? the computer recognizes the display as its proper model number in the display settings

Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class
Especially since I rule.
post #3517 of 3530 Old 04-30-2015, 04:42 PM

Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC 851 View Post
I have the E420i-B0 and am still trying to figure out if it's better to have the active led zones on or off. I know that many have said to turn them off however most of them were different sets. If I decide to turn them off would I need to change any other settings like increase my contrast. I ask because right now I'm using Cnet's settings and seen where Rtings's settings had a higher contrast with the ALZ off. I would use my WOW disc to check contrast however I seem to have misplaced it.
i have an e420i-b0 as well, & i think PQ is a little better overall w/ active LED switched off. when it's on there's definitely more depth and detail to some scenes, but in dim/dark scenes, or when the picture goes quickly from dim to bright, or vice versa, the TV displays a weird 'bloom' effect as the LED zones are visibly dimming/brightening to keep up. that problem, which arguably all local dimming TVs have to some extent, is probably compounded by the fact that the e420i-b0 has so few local dimming zones--just six (i think three in a left column & three in a right column).

another big deciding factor for me (which may/may not be an issue for you) is that local dimming on my set makes input lag markedly worse. so games at 60fps (call of duties, mario kart 8) are essentially unplayable when it's on.

so i keep LED off and bump contrast a little (though never as high as rtings says--77, right?). but also, it's your TV and so ultimately it's your choice as to how it should be calibrated.

(if you don't find WOW you can use AVS 709, which is here--

AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration

--and which, if you can't burn it to a blu-ray or something, you can play on yr TV using the mp4 files & a thumb drive.)
post #3518 of 3530 Old 05-01-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousguacamole View Post
i have an e420i-b0 as well, & i think PQ is a little better overall w/ active LED switched off. when it's on there's definitely more depth and detail to some scenes, but in dim/dark scenes, or when the picture goes quickly from dim to bright, or vice versa, the TV displays a weird 'bloom' effect as the LED zones are visibly dimming/brightening to keep up. that problem, which arguably all local dimming TVs have to some extent, is probably compounded by the fact that the e420i-b0 has so few local dimming zones--just six (i think three in a left column & three in a right column).

another big deciding factor for me (which may/may not be an issue for you) is that local dimming on my set makes input lag markedly worse. so games at 60fps (call of duties, mario kart 8) are essentially unplayable when it's on.

so i keep LED off and bump contrast a little (though never as high as rtings says--77, right?). but also, it's your TV and so ultimately it's your choice as to how it should be calibrated.

)
Thanks for the advice. Could you share your settings as a starting point. I like to look at different settings when I calibrate so I can see if I'm in the same ballpark. Right now all I can find is Cnet and Rtings and one has led zones on and the other has a pretty high contrast.
post #3519 of 3530 Old 05-01-2015, 06:06 PM

Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC 851 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Could you share your settings as a starting point. I like to look at different settings when I calibrate so I can see if I'm in the same ballpark. Right now all I can find is Cnet and Rtings and one has led zones on and the other has a pretty high contrast.
sure thing. though some of my settings are almost certainly different from what you'd want.

i used the 'calibrated' mode as a starting point.

first of all, on the 'advanced setting page,' i have:

- color temp - normal
- all of the fancy side-of-the-box-bullet-point settings (from 'black detail' down to 'reduce block noise') - off
- film mode - auto

& in the basic picture settings:

auto brightness - off
backlight - 100
brightness - 50
contrast - 60
color - 50
hue - 0
sharpness - 0

the backlight on my set is WAY high. it's because i have my TV next to a window. set yours depending on the lighting in yr home theater. i think 37 is right for a dark room. you might turn it up (50? 60?) if you're in a medium-bright room, etc.

the contrast is low-ish maybe. but much higher & on my set, details in brighter parts of the picture disappear. do yr own thing w/ it.

& in the 'professional settings' menu, i changed nothing. i don't have a colorimeter & when i tried anybody else's color tuning settings (rtings has some, i think), the picture seemed the same or worse.

keep in mind that, as a general rule, the factory default color tuning is probably better than tuner settings from somebody online.

(there is one nifty thing about the vizio 'color tuner' page, which is, by clicking on 'RED' or 'GREEN' or 'BLUE' at the top you can apply R G or B color filters to the whole screen. which, if you find that WOW disc & want to fine-tune color, will come in handy.)
post #3520 of 3530 Old 05-01-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousguacamole View Post
sure thing. though some of my settings are almost certainly different from what you'd want.

i used the 'calibrated' mode as a starting point.

first of all, on the 'advanced setting page,' i have:

- color temp - normal
- all of the fancy side-of-the-box-bullet-point settings (from 'black detail' down to 'reduce block noise') - off
- film mode - auto

& in the basic picture settings:

auto brightness - off
backlight - 100
brightness - 50
contrast - 60
color - 50
hue - 0
sharpness - 0

the backlight on my set is WAY high. it's because i have my TV next to a window. set yours depending on the lighting in yr home theater. i think 37 is right for a dark room. you might turn it up (50? 60?) if you're in a medium-bright room, etc.

the contrast is low-ish maybe. but much higher & on my set, details in brighter parts of the picture disappear. do yr own thing w/ it.

& in the 'professional settings' menu, i changed nothing. i don't have a colorimeter & when i tried anybody else's color tuning settings (rtings has some, i think), the picture seemed the same or worse.

keep in mind that, as a general rule, the factory default color tuning is probably better than tuner settings from somebody online.

(there is one nifty thing about the vizio 'color tuner' page, which is, by clicking on 'RED' or 'GREEN' or 'BLUE' at the top you can apply R G or B color filters to the whole screen. which, if you find that WOW disc & want to fine-tune color, will come in handy.)
Thanks. After I turned off led zones I turned my contrast to 60 and had backlight at 50 in a dark room so we weren't that far off. I used Cnet's color tuner settings since many say the gamma wasn't right and that Cnet's fixed it. I might reset the TV and just use the default color tuner settings anyway. I plan on looking for the disk tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
post #3521 of 3530 Old 05-11-2015, 09:52 AM

Question

Just bought a e390i-b0 for our master bedroom. Encountered an issue and Googled it, but haven't had much luck in finding a fix or a trend. Essentially, after I set it up the TV started becoming non-responsive to the remote. Eventually I started noticing that the menu would lock up or the volume display would lock and just sit there. I kept thinking it may be something HDMI related, but after swapping out cables and even trying the set without anything plugged in, it was still having the issue. Eventually, I narrowed it down to the WIFI. When I have the wifi set up, this problem occurs. Without wifi set up, set works fine. Also, haven't found a site to get firmware from. Any help would be appreciated.
post #3522 of 3530 Old 05-13-2015, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire0 View Post
Just bought a e390i-b0 for our master bedroom. Encountered an issue and Googled it, but haven't had much luck in finding a fix or a trend. Essentially, after I set it up the TV started becoming non-responsive to the remote. Eventually I started noticing that the menu would lock up or the volume display would lock and just sit there. I kept thinking it may be something HDMI related, but after swapping out cables and even trying the set without anything plugged in, it was still having the issue. Eventually, I narrowed it down to the WIFI. When I have the wifi set up, this problem occurs. Without wifi set up, set works fine. Also, haven't found a site to get firmware from. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have DTV Whole Home DVR by chance? I have DTV Whole Home. I was having an issue with my Vizio E60i B3. Right after start up the set would become unresponsive for about 3 minutes. I was doing research and stumbled upon a thread at dbstalk: "Strange Issue with Whole Home and Vizio Smart TV" topic 206759 , I am not able to post the link. I set up a wireless "guest" network separate from Whole Home as suggested and the problem went away. Another member has posted the same type of issue back in April. Is this a common issue? Software will be pushed to your set by Vizio, no website to visit.
post #3523 of 3530 Old 05-15-2015, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Got the 40in a couple of weeks ago. Anyone have issues with the picture not filling the screening? I have a small black border all the way around the image. No matter what I have the picture settings at, zoom, etc. They won't go away. Please help
post #3524 of 3530 Old 05-15-2015, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman1979 View Post
Got the 40in a couple of weeks ago. Anyone have issues with the picture not filling the screening? I have a small black border all the way around the image. No matter what I have the picture settings at, zoom, etc. They won't go away. Please help

whats your source? my 55 does that but only when driven by my laptop at 1920x1080

Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class
Especially since I rule.
post #3525 of 3530 Old 05-15-2015, 08:50 PM

got the e400i-b2. using the netflix app on the tv. also tried my asus tablet, and vizio costar. both set to 1920*1080. Any kind of work around?
post #3526 of 3530 Old 05-15-2015, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman1979 View Post
I got about 3/8" on all four sides on my 40. Blends in with the bezel so I never noticed it. I'd rather have the border than overscan any day.

PS: I can confirm there's no overscan by using the Belle Nuit HD chart.

Last edited by olyteddy; 05-15-2015 at 09:23 PM.
post #3527 of 3530 Old 05-16-2015, 06:39 PM

Has anyone ever had their set automatically turn on while they're gone? Specifically the e550i-b2. It was definitely off when I left the house this afternoon but turned on when I got home. No cats or dogs or anyone else in the house. The set actually hadn't been on for the past 3 days. I'm grasping at straws for how that would happen so I figured I'd check here.
post #3528 of 3530 Old 05-16-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
I got about 3/8" on all four sides on my 40. Blends in with the bezel so I never noticed it. I'd rather have the border than overscan any day.

PS: I can confirm there's no overscan by using the Belle Nuit HD chart.
Same here. But it bothers me. Haven't tried a resolution other than 1920*1080. Can't believe other in this thread haven't mention this. At least that I saw. I have to 70" downstairs and it doesn't do it.
post #3529 of 3530 Unread Today, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIVJackal View Post
Below is my list of current complaints that I send into them every week or so, when I get the chance. Is there anything I am missing or should add?

Reason I am sharing is in the hopes that you send in the same complaints so that they work in these specific ones.

--------------------------------
1. If there is a way to fix the "dirty screen" effect, that would be excellent.
http://www.rtings.com/info/gray-unif...een-effect-dse

2.Fix strange horizontal light bands that stretch across the screen when Active LED Zones are on. Does not happen when
the zones are off. Noticed it more when using the Netflix app.

3.When using custom picture settings, the TV turns on with a red or green filter which goes away after roughly
5 seconds. Does not do this on preset options, only custom.

4.Allow to add specific digital channels, like 7-1, 11-1, etc... I use an Antenna and am missing channels I know
I can pick up if I manually enter. Also, let me see what the signal strength is so that I can better adjust the antenna.

5.Update the sound settings or create an app that allows to fine-tune the equalizer.

6.Have an internet browser as an App. There are live channels I can watch online but don't have the ability
to stream through the TV.

7.When clicking to scan for channels, have a pop up asking if I am sure I want to do that. I have accidentally pressed
that option several times now having to wait several minutes until finished.

8.Have a complete list of which movie formats the TV can play via USB. I think the options are limited,
allow MKV files to play please.

I don't know if the E-series or at least the 2014 models will ever fully support mkvs and the like due to it's processor. You really should look into a standalone streaming device or a ps3 or something.
post #3530 of 3530 Unread Today, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeath View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by bluewhale1 

Hey can one of you load a mkv file on a thumb drive and see it the tv plays it? Not sure if it really makes a difference to everyone but on one of the Amazon reviews they said they loaded a mkv file and it didnt play.(Just in case this is important to someone looking at the tv)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GKKI4Q6?tag=anan06-20

The vizio TVs don't reproduce mkv files. It reproduces mp4 so just rename the file from .mkv to .mp4 and fixed
old post but when you rename them to .mp4 (mine actually just lists mkv files as mp4s anyway) it'll just downconvert the resolution to 480p, at least on my E480-B2. May not be an issue to some but not cool with me.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
vizio e 600-b3 , Vizio E Series E401i A2 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Lit Internet Hdtv , vizio m series m602i-b3
Gear in this thread - E401i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page