Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2960 Old 02-04-2014, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickTinWis View Post

This is just a non-expert observation. I was at a Sam's and saw a 55" E55-Bx next to a low priced Samsung and I was disappointed in the Vizio video quality. The store supposedly just puts them on display as delivered by the manufacturer. I don't know how to best describe the Vizio, but I watched the entire demo and it just looked unimpressive. The best way I can describe it is it looked like there was a thin film over the screen that lowered the brightness, the color, the clarity and the sharpness. Now the Samsung next to it (and I'm no Samsung fan) looked great. Bright, but not TOO bright, clear, sharp and not looking like it was on an overdone "Vivid" setting. And I really wanted to like the Vizio. Just my fussy, but definitely not videophile observation.

DickTinWis, I know exactly what you mean.. I almost didn't buy mine because of that.. What everyone needs to know is out of the box it is set to the "Standard" setting which is the "energy star" setting.  It looks dull, and like you said looks almost like a film over the screen.  It is for power saving.  Once you change over to one of the other settings like Calibrated, Dark Calibrated or Game etc.. you will notice a big difference.  I am very happy with my E550i-b2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2960 Old 02-04-2014, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Unless your are feeding the same content at the same time to both panels, it may not be a fair test. Depending on time of day/night, the compression used to deliver streaming can vary widely. Don't know about HD cable, but feedng blue ray into both panels should be the best way to compare native picture quality...
Very helpful - thanks. I need about 30 degrees of viewing angle, so if it looks like the E-Series panel can deliver that (barely :-), then that should not be a showstopper for me.

thanks again for the info,

-fafrd

My pleasure for the feedback.  of course everyone's eyes are a little different!!  haha  So far I've only had HD cable hooked up.  Getting out the bluray player and gaming system to test further.  Those signals will be much cleaner than my cable signal.  I'm sure the picture will look much better on a consistent basis with a nice clean stream/signal with no compression or anything.  Too bad my daily TV viewing doesn't consist of such nice video streams all day :-)

post #543 of 2960 Old 02-04-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaShaka View Post

DickTinWis, I know exactly what you mean.. I almost didn't buy mine because of that.. What everyone needs to know is out of the box it is set to the "Standard" setting which is the "energy star" setting.  It looks dull, and like you said looks almost like a film over the screen.  It is for power saving.  Once you change over to one of the other settings like Calibrated, Dark Calibrated or Game etc.. you will notice a big difference.  I am very happy with my E550i-b2

I agree with you guys.  I've shutoff the automatic brightness control as well and go right to the calibrated settings to start my baseline when making any drastic color enhancements.  So far, I haven't been able to get the colors to pop out of the screen.  The picture tends to be on the dull side.

post #544 of 2960 Old 02-04-2014, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzer30 View Post

I agree with you guys.  I've shutoff the automatic brightness control as well and go right to the calibrated settings to start my baseline when making any drastic color enhancements.  So far, I haven't been able to get the colors to pop out of the screen.  The picture tends to be on the dull side.

When I checked out the 47-48"(not sure which) almost 2 weeks ago it was right next to a 2013. Even after moving the 2014 to calibrated and the 2013 to a similar setting( no calibrated) it looked dull also. Always hard to tell in such a bright setting but as a person who desperately needs a new TV(my 58" Sammy plasma died), I will wait for professional reviews before buying. That's my unsolicited opinion to all who care about picture quality as opposed to just a TV.
post #545 of 2960 Old 02-04-2014, 07:40 AM

Anyone got calibration settings for the Vizio E420i-B0? i can't find any calibration settings or even any reviews. Is my TV some obscure model taht nobody in the world has? Even on AVS it seems nobody has my model. This is frustrating.

post #546 of 2960 Old 02-04-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post

When I checked out the 47-48"(not sure which) almost 2 weeks ago it was right next to a 2013. Even after moving the 2014 to calibrated and the 2013 to a similar setting( no calibrated) it looked dull also. Always hard to tell in such a bright setting but as a person who desperately needs a new TV(my 58" Sammy plasma died), I will wait for professional reviews before buying. That's my unsolicited opinion to all who care about picture quality as opposed to just a TV.

That's the sole reason I bought it was to test it out in all lighting conditions.  So far the screen has a fair share of reflection.  Not  big fan of that as I'm in a big bright room most of the time.  I can control the lighting but don't want to have to sit in the dark all the time :-) 

So far this morning, the bluray testing has had much better results than my HD cable testing from last night as expected.  If the TV could display this picture all the time, I would consider it.  

Bluray MP4 rips have also been really good.  Color reproduction and black levels have been really acceptable.  The local dimming on the letterbox bars seems to be working, right now they are pitch black.  Going to throw the xbox on for some gaming. 

post #547 of 2960 Old 02-04-2014, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:

Quote:

That's the sole reason I bought it was to test it out in all lighting conditions.  So far the screen has a fair share of reflection.  Not  big fan of that as I'm in a big bright room most of the time.  I can control the lighting but don't want to have to sit in the dark all the time :-) 

So far this morning, the bluray testing has had much better results than my HD cable testing from last night as expected.  If the TV could display this picture all the time, I would consider it.  

Bluray MP4 rips have also been really good.  Color reproduction and black levels have been really acceptable.  The local dimming on the letterbox bars seems to be working, right now they are pitch black.  Going to throw the xbox on for some gaming. 

Any signs of blooming that you would consider distracting yet? 'Pitch black' letterbox bars sounds like they are disappearing into the bezel and not noticeable in any way. Do you have way to try the side letterbox bars for 480p content to see if they are as dark?

-fafrd
post #548 of 2960 Old 02-04-2014, 09:09 AM

So, the Vizio E420i-B0 out of the boox looks pretty good. No input lag, but, the biggest issue is contrast. I seriously have no idea how to calibrate this TV.

post #549 of 2960 Old 02-04-2014, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the update. What TV did you have before and how does the E compare? Also what's your thoughts on off axis viewing?
post #550 of 2960 Old 02-04-2014, 09:48 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasinnat View Post

So, the Vizio E420i-B0 out of the boox looks pretty good. No input lag, but, the biggest issue is contrast. I seriously have no idea how to calibrate this TV.

Where did you get your 42" ?

post #551 of 2960 Old 02-04-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

BamaShaka,
Then I submit that Vizio is committing a big error by boxing their sets with those settings. I can't picture any average user looking at the Vizio next to any of the other tv's at Sam's and deciding to buy the Vizio. It's the poorest looking set there. Big mistake on their part. Now Samsung knows how to deliver sets for maximum impression on the average shopper.
post #552 of 2960 Old 02-04-2014, 01:35 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Skyline513, I have a question for you. I have had a horrible experience with best buy (as have others, and some even with amazon), about exchanging defective tv's. They get dinged as returns and eventually they will block you from returning things. Does Sams club enforce a policy such as this?

To my knowledge, there is not an official policy in place for returns. The exchange period is supposed to be 90 days wheather it's broken/defective or you just don't like it. As far as returning a lot of items, you should be able to return as many items as you want. Just check with your local store to make sure they're on same page as my store
post #553 of 2960 Old 02-04-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So previously someone posted pictures of the 55" settings and there was a Active LED zones option. My 48" does not have this setting but instead "Smart Dimming". I assume this is the same thing, but why would they be named differently?
post #554 of 2960 Old 02-04-2014, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelegacy View Post

So previously someone posted pictures of the 55" settings and there was a Active LED zones option. My 48" does not have this setting but instead "Smart Dimming". I assume this is the same thing, but why would they be named differently?

Probably, and I have no idea...

-fafrd
post #555 of 2960 Old 02-04-2014, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickTinWis View Post

BamaShaka,
Then I submit that Vizio is committing a big error by boxing their sets with those settings. I can't picture any average user looking at the Vizio next to any of the other tv's at Sam's and deciding to buy the Vizio. It's the poorest looking set there. Big mistake on their part. Now Samsung knows how to deliver sets for maximum impression on the average shopper.

I totally agree, but it could fall on the sales people or store.  I am sure there is a "Demo" mode.  I know when I turned mine on for the first time I was asked if I wanted it in Demo mode or not.. Maybe they didn't set it to demo so it defaulted to Standard?

post #556 of 2960 Old 02-04-2014, 08:22 PM

Unbelievable. Vizio's site still doesn't list these. Are they just hell bent on selling through the old ones before they offer the new ones directly?
post #557 of 2960 Old 02-04-2014, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper187 View Post

Unbelievable. Vizio's site still doesn't list these. Are they just hell bent on selling through the old ones before they offer the new ones directly?

Probably :-(

-fafrd
post #558 of 2960 Old 02-04-2014, 10:12 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblast View Post

No, he told me they aren't allowed to changed the store source. That the remotes are sealed and can't be taken out. I waited 30mins for someone to help me. I talked to the Manager and they seemed absolutely clueless. I felt like a alien speaking another language. It's like no one ever has asked them before if you can use the remote, and check out a tv. But he did say, if you like the tv, buy it. If you don't like it, bring it back.

I bet they don't sell as many TV's as other stores, or at least other Sam's. If it's true, that other Sam's help out more. I was extreme unhappy with Sam's.

Wow... seriously wow. That is the biggest load of bs I've ever heard.. how can they expect to show anyone anything about the tv without the remote?? Especially now that so many TVs are smart TVs, why wouldn't you want to showcase that feature and show it to people? I would be extremely angry if that happened to me too. You go to a store to sample a product. If you aren't able to try it/use it/play with it, why in the world would you want to buy it?

None of what they said makes any sense.. but maybe different stores enforce different rules? I honestly don't know. I'm still calling bs on this.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with that particular Sam's club! If you were closer, I would recommend you check out my club for a better experience.
post #559 of 2960 Old 02-05-2014, 02:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline513 View Post

Wow... seriously wow. That is the biggest load of bs I've ever heard.. how can they expect to show anyone anything about the tv without the remote?? Especially now that so many TVs are smart TVs, why wouldn't you want to showcase that feature and show it to people? I would be extremely angry if that happened to me too. You go to a store to sample a product. If you aren't able to try it/use it/play with it, why in the world would you want to buy it?

None of what they said makes any sense.. but maybe different stores enforce different rules? I honestly don't know. I'm still calling bs on this.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with that particular Sam's club! If you were closer, I would recommend you check out my club for a better experience.

It pissed me off a great deal. I wasted half a hour just waiting for the one guy in the store that knew where the remotes were to help me out. Then when he finally decided to show up, and I told him what I would like to do. He looked at me like, "I don't understand what you want to do, or why you would ask to do that" It probably would have taken a total of 5mins to do what I asked, maybe 10mins since I wanted to look at 2 different ones. Still, that isn't that long, when there were no other customers around.

While I was waiting for this guy to show up, I talked to another employee, and he said, "people use to steal the remotes", and I said, "Of course they would, if you just left them out, but if you chained them, or had the employee lock them up between uses like most places, then that would work" and he said, "They would still go missing." Then I said, "Well, then that's the employee's fault, for not keeping track of the remote. The store could always order a new one." He just shook his head like that wouldn't work.

I bet you this Sam's Club would sell 5x the tv's if they had someone there, working that dept. like they gave a damn. They kept up with what tv's were getting high reviews, and what tv's might be getting hyped, and capitalized on that. Put those tv's out front, or print up something saying great things about this or that tv. Or just have the employee telling people, and showing people different aspects of these tv's that people didn't realize. Make them think about how nice it would be to have this tv in their home. Why they should finally buy a HDTV, if they haven't already. I know a lot of people that still use CRT's, and don't see any point in buying a new one.

This Sam's had the new 40" and 48". The 55" was out of stock. Everyone be careful though, most of the 2013's were in the new design boxes. I had to look at the model numbers on each box to rule them out. For a minute there I thought I found a 2014 50" till I checked the box and was disappointed.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 16gb ram, 30tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
post #560 of 2960 Old 02-05-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaytheGreat View Post

Where did you get your 42" ?

Amazon. 

post #561 of 2960 Old 02-05-2014, 06:54 AM

So after 5 days with my 55" 2014 E, here are my impressions.

Black levels are definitely outstanding. They are far darker than the 55" 2013 M I replaced. Any time there is a black screen with a simple logo or title, there is almost no blooming. FALD is definitely a no brainer.

Motion blur has not seemed to be too big of an issue. I've watched some soccer and although it's not quite as smooth as the 2013 M, it's not too bad either.

I still can't get the color settings right. Sometimes colors pop and have a nice saturation. Other times though, colors look matte, fake, and lack detail. Skin tones have been a big problem so far. The either look pale and dead, or they look plastic.

Overall I'm very happy, especially for the price. But I knew going in I was just holding out for the 2014 M series, so maybe I'm happier with it because I know I'm not going to have to live with it forever. Thank God for 90 day return policies.
post #562 of 2960 Old 02-05-2014, 09:37 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigck417 View Post

So after 5 days with my 55" 2014 E, here are my impressions.

Black levels are definitely outstanding. They are far darker than the 55" 2013 M I replaced. Any time there is a black screen with a simple logo or title, there is almost no blooming. FALD is definitely a no brainer.

Motion blur has not seemed to be too big of an issue. I've watched some soccer and although it's not quite as smooth as the 2013 M, it's not too bad either.

I still can't get the color settings right. Sometimes colors pop and have a nice saturation. Other times though, colors look matte, fake, and lack detail. Skin tones have been a big problem so far. The either look pale and dead, or they look plastic.

Overall I'm very happy, especially for the price. But I knew going in I was just holding out for the 2014 M series, so maybe I'm happier with it because I know I'm not going to have to live with it forever. Thank God for 90 day return policies.

Can you please post your settings?
post #563 of 2960 Old 02-05-2014, 09:45 AM

Calibrated
Backlight 80
Brightness 37
Contrast 75
Color 60
Tint 0
Sharpness 40
Color temp. Normal with the green and blue gain turned up a little to balance out the red
Active LED on
post #564 of 2960 Old 02-05-2014, 09:51 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigck417 View Post

Calibrated
Backlight 80
Brightness 37
Contrast 75
Color 60
Tint 0
Sharpness 40
Color temp. Normal with the green and blue gain turned up a little to balance out the red
Active LED on

It's good to see others are posting their settings, helping those out who need it.

Curious tho...

I'm noticing a trend from a few people who are posting their settings...That is the backlight being very high. Are most of the current owners in rooms that aren't dark? When I had the FALD sets from vizio 3 years ago, both sets had their backlight set to around 18 I believe. My viewing room was pitch black at all times, I also had to play with the backlight in order to tame the blooming, maybe that's why I had it so low? My memory is not what it once was so...
post #565 of 2960 Old 02-05-2014, 09:58 AM

Liked: 11
The one thing I've noticed with my settings is that in order for it to look close to right, I need to have the Tint at -7 or -8. That's the big thing that kind of weirded me out about my settings. I got this number from using the THX TuneUp iOS app. I'll post my full settings when I get home, as well as try some of these other settings that have been posted in these past couple pages.

I'm in agreement that the set looks great most of the time, but for some reason there's certain scenes where colors look matte, fake, and lack detail, with an emphasis on poor skin tones. It's very confusing.
\
EDIT: My backlight I also keep pretty high, around 70 or 75. Even in a dark room, the set comes off as too dim with a backlight setting much lower than that.
post #566 of 2960 Old 02-05-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:

This. The game mode makes an huge difference. Standard looked terrible, but, on game mode games look great. 

post #567 of 2960 Old 02-05-2014, 11:22 AM

FAINT CLICKING NOISE

Is anyone with the VIZIO E420i-B0 experiencing the faint clicking noise syndrome that is supposedly only audible when the tv is off?  Believe it comes from the back of the tv and you have to get pretty close to hear it.  I am interested in hearing from those that have the 42".

Thanks

Rob

BTW

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/vizio-42in-e-led-tv-eseries-led-smart-tv/prod12800149.ip?searchTerm=VIZIO%20E420i-B0

post #568 of 2960 Old 02-05-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Any signs of blooming that you would consider distracting yet? 'Pitch black' letterbox bars sounds like they are disappearing into the bezel and not noticeable in any way. Do you have way to try the side letterbox bars for 480p content to see if they are as dark?

-fafrd

I haven't tested any 480p content.  I watched about 3 blurays yesterday at 1080/24p.  The set handled things really well and the image at was really nice.  Much better than HD cable at 60hz.  The letter box bars on the bluray movies did blend right into the bezel.

I also gamed a bit yesterday on the set too.  With film mode odd movement wasn't an issue.  Once I disabled the film mode I got a lot of screen tearing from the movement.  I was playing dead island and splinter cell blacklist on the 360.  As I stated earlier, the glare off the screen is very noticeable.

post #569 of 2960 Old 02-05-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the update. What TV did you have before and how does the E compare? Also what's your thoughts on off axis viewing?

My main TV is a 65" Mitsubishi DLP which I still love.  The color definitely starts to wash out on the set around 30-35 degrees.  If $699 is your budget I would say the set is a recommend, but if you can splurge and time isn't of the essence I would wait for the M or P series.  Again, just my opinion after a couples days with the set. 

post #570 of 2960 Old 02-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My main TV is a 65" Mitsubishi DLP which I still love.  The color definitely starts to wash out on the set around 30-35 degrees.  If $699 is your budget I would say the set is a recommend, but if you can splurge and time isn't of the essence I would wait for the M or P series.  Again, just my opinion after a couples days with the set. 

Thanks. Definitely waiting for reviews on the M and P. I watch some TV from 45 degrees but it's not important viewing(kitchen table). 2 of my seats for watching are 35-40 degrees. Checking out that angle will be my biggest determiner of the set I buy.

I did see a side view(probably around 45 degrees or more) of the M somewhere on AVS and it looked pretty decent.

Good luck to all E purchasers.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
vizio e 600-b3 , Vizio E Series E401i A2 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Lit Internet Hdtv , vizio m series m602i-b3
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page