Official 2014 Vizio Exxx-Bx Series owners thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2173 Old 01-14-2014, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Nvm the noise seems to go away after a few seconds it's off so it doesn't bother me. Another thing, the gaming mode is horrible lol. It creates this weird border around certain things that just looks ugly. Overall, I'm very happy with the tv. I returned the Sony I bought a week ago for this and I'm satisfied. I'll post more about it later.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2173 Old 01-14-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I'm in the club, picked up the 40" at Costco today. Unknowingly yesterday I had been looking at it and a 40" Samsung next to it, there. This is for our bedroom to replace a beast of a 100lb 27" Sony Trinitron I have had in there for probably 13-14 years. Wife would like to get digital channels as we do on our 61" LED DLP Sammy and in front bedroom a 31" or so Sammy LCD. But my eye kept going over to the Visio yesterday though I couldn't put my finger on why. I actually check marked next to it in my notes. Did not even find the big AVS thread and this one until the afternoon and that's what swayed me.

I think I'm going to like it. I have a JVC 4810 projector that is well calibrated, and my methodology with the 61", the small Sammy panel and now this 2014 40" entry level Visio set is to freeze frame a lot of normal TV programming that I'm familiar with and then work through the scenes with all the control options to make sure I have decent flesh tones, shadow detail, brightness, contrast, etc. Then watch for awhile. Some particular footage looks off I stop and adjust a little more. Eventually it all started to look pretty damn good. I worked from Natural mode and cool temp. I thought the other was too warm.

But yeah freeze frames of the court at Staples Center and the seats in the lights out area, for instance, are a good real world template for how every control option affects "blacks" without crushing any detail that the set is capable of. It was odd though, the first 8 or 9 times into the menu the backlight gain setting was grayed out for the Natural mode and stuck on 80, probably their setting for that mode. I couldn't adjust it upward as I wanted to. Like the other modes allowed. Then all of a sudden it let me into it and I took it up to 92. Contrast, I think I have at about 58 and brightness at 50. The "Black" adjustment on Low or High crushes on my set a lot of shadow detail. Off brightens it up quite nicely. Surprisingly so does the Medium setting, but the highlights in the shadows Pop better with Medium rather than Off so I leave it there.

I think it looks good with the Local dimming off, but in my short hour or so with experimenting and setting it up, I too see an improvement to some degree with the dimming on. Anyway I am pretty happy so far and it looks good. A lot more watching to do and maybe a few more tweaks. 2 year Costco warranty plus I bought the 3 year Square Trade warranty added onto it for 5 years total, for only $29.95 at these smaller sizes. The price of the TV was the $429 that others have paid.

AVS discussion threads for the win once again!! cool.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gif
jasenj1 likes this.
post #93 of 2173 Old 01-14-2014, 08:02 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexownz View Post

Nvm the noise seems to go away after a few seconds it's off so it doesn't bother me. Another thing, the gaming mode is horrible lol. It creates this weird border around certain things that just looks ugly. Overall, I'm very happy with the tv. I returned the Sony I bought a week ago for this and I'm satisfied. I'll post more about it later.

I finally did hear this noise, you have to be right next to the tv and i cant hear it when i am away from the tv. But yes I do hear it now. Might write to vizio support about it.
post #94 of 2173 Old 01-14-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

I'm in the club, picked up the 40" at Costco today. Unknowingly yesterday I had been looking at it and a 40" Samsung next to it, there. This is for our bedroom to replace a beast of a 100lb 27" Sony Trinitron I have had in there for probably 13-14 years. Wife would like to get digital channels as we do on our 61" LED DLP Sammy and in front bedroom a 31" or so Sammy LCD. But my eye kept going over to the Visio yesterday though I couldn't put my finger on why. I actually check marked next to it in my notes. Did not even find the big AVS thread and this one until the afternoon and that's what swayed me.

Welcome to the club, there are now two of us!
post #95 of 2173 Old 01-14-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

I finally did hear this noise, you have to be right next to the tv and i cant hear it when i am away from the tv. But yes I do hear it now. Might write to vizio support about it.

It goes away after about 30 seconds though. It's honestly not a big deal but it is odd.

post #96 of 2173 Old 01-14-2014, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:

Welcome to the club, there are now two of us!

Very interested in everything you both have to say about these sets. Has either of you had a chance to check 4:3 content yet (with local dimming ON)? With a dark movie or show in a dark room, I'm expecting the letterbox on the left and the right to be disappointingly dark grey (compared to the upper and lower letterboxes when watching widescreen content), but would appreciate a confirmation...

-fafrd
post #97 of 2173 Old 01-14-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Very interested in everything you both have to say about these sets. Has either of you had a chance to check 4:3 content yet (with local dimming ON)? With a dark movie or show in a dark room, I'm expecting the letterbox on the left and the right to be disappointingly dark grey (compared to the upper and lower letterboxes when watching widescreen content), but would appreciate a confirmation...

-fafrd

I dont have my cable box yet but will soon so i can test that out later.
post #98 of 2173 Old 01-14-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:

-fafrd

The letter boxes on the right and left are surprisingly very dark with the local dimming on. It's even better than the sony I had and I thought it was very good on that set. I'm mostly gaming on it right now using the ps3 and ps4 and the only thing I've noticed is that with local dimming on, sometimes the white lettered captions seemed to be grey instead of white when there's a black background. I just simply turned it off and it went away. Even with local dimming off, you're still getting pretty good black levels. I'm still trying to find a good calibration so I'll report back when I can.

post #99 of 2173 Old 01-14-2014, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The letter boxes on the right and left are surprisingly very dark with the local dimming on. It's even better than the sony I had and I thought it was very good on that set. I'm mostly gaming on it right now using the ps3 and ps4 and the only thing I've noticed is that with local dimming on, sometimes the white lettered captions seemed to be grey instead of white when there's a black background. I just simply turned it off and it went away. Even with local dimming off, you're still getting pretty good black levels. I'm still trying to find a good calibration so I'll report back when I can.

Thanks, was the room dark? Since the dimming zones apparently go across the entire width of the screen, the best content would be something bright in the middle and dark on both sides.

If the letters appear light grey instead of white, it means they are keeping the entire backlight dimmed, so the letterboxes appear nice and dark, but you are not getting the bright output that you need for white letters. You need to try something with a bit larger and more complex bright zone in the center of the image...

But again, thanks for this effort,

-fafrd
post #100 of 2173 Old 01-14-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks, was the room dark? Since the dimming zones apparently go across the entire width of the screen, the best content would be something bright in the middle and dark on both sides.

If the letters appear light grey instead of white, it means they are keeping the entire backlight dimmed, so the letterboxes appear nice and dark, but you are not getting the bright output that you need for white letters. You need to try something with a bit larger and more complex bright zone in the center of the image...

-fafrd

There was a center image because it was a loading screen. It's just that the background was black where the captions were. I like my room dark so all the lights were off as well. But I'll do more testing.

post #101 of 2173 Old 01-15-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Anyone confirm issues with the gaming mode and/or the difference it makes with input lag?
post #102 of 2173 Old 01-15-2014, 07:37 AM

Liked: 13
How long do these take to turn on? I think I read that last year's took a while (~20 seconds?). Not a big deal, just curious. I intend to pick up a 55" set when they're available.
post #103 of 2173 Old 01-15-2014, 08:01 AM

Liked: 11
Just noticed that Amazon now has the 48-inch model (E480i-B2) in stock. By my count, that means the 40-inch, the 48-inch, and the 50-inch models are now currently available.

Come on Vizio, make my weekend and release the 42-incher!
post #104 of 2173 Old 01-15-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArttyG12 View Post

How long do these take to turn on? I think I read that last year's took a while (~20 seconds?). Not a big deal, just curious. I intend to pick up a 55" set when they're available.

Around 12 seconds or so. Just tried it, but didn't realize the DirecTV box wasn't on and it took that long for the "no signal" to come up. Turned it off and waited a minute or so after turning the box on, and it still seemed like about that amount of time.
ArttyG12 likes this.
post #105 of 2173 Old 01-15-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:

-fafrd

To be clear I have not confirmed if the dimming zones go horizontal across, that is just what I was thinking based on what I saw. I would not be shocked if they were in some sort of weird configuration.
post #106 of 2173 Old 01-15-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Around 12 seconds or so. Just tried it, but didn't realize the DirecTV box wasn't on and it took that long for the "no signal" to come up. Turned it off and waited a minute or so after turning the box on, and it still seemed like about that amount of time.

Yeah start up is not amazing on the TV, it takes about 30 seconds to a minute to turn on the tv and get into the netflix App. Blu Ray seems a little faster but probably around 30 seconds still.
post #107 of 2173 Old 01-15-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I'm going to like it. I have a JVC 4810 projector that is well calibrated, and my methodology with the 61", the small Sammy panel and now this 2014 40" entry level Visio set is to freeze frame a lot of normal TV programming that I'm familiar with and then work through the scenes with all the control options to make sure I have decent flesh tones, shadow detail, brightness, contrast, etc. Then watch for awhile. Some particular footage looks off I stop and adjust a little more. Eventually it all started to look pretty damn good. I worked from Natural mode and cool temp. I thought the other was too warm.

But yeah freeze frames of the court at Staples Center and the seats in the lights out area, for instance, are a good real world template for how every control option affects "blacks" without crushing any detail that the set is capable of. It was odd though, the first 8 or 9 times into the menu the backlight gain setting was grayed out for the Natural mode and stuck on 80, probably their setting for that mode. I couldn't adjust it upward as I wanted to. Like the other modes allowed. Then all of a sudden it let me into it and I took it up to 92. Contrast, I think I have at about 58 and brightness at 50. The "Black" adjustment on Low or High crushes on my set a lot of shadow detail. Off brightens it up quite nicely. Surprisingly so does the Medium setting, but the highlights in the shadows Pop better with Medium rather than Off so I leave it there.

I think it looks good with the Local dimming off, but in my short hour or so with experimenting and setting it up, I too see an improvement to some degree with the dimming on. Anyway I am pretty happy so far and it looks good. A lot more watching to do and maybe a few more tweaks. 2 year Costco warranty plus I bought the 3 year Square Trade warranty added onto it for 5 years total, for only $29.95 at these smaller sizes. The price of the TV was the $429 that others have paid.

OMG….. My bad these are not the settings you want above. I thought it looked good at that point but today I started with the 1st (bright) "CALIBRATED" mode and did all the same things by eye with familiar footage and freeze frames. The new HOT formula (for me) is below. BUT eek.gifeek.gif …. dayam……. this 40" new E series Viszio has now surpassed my expectations

OK YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS OUT AS A STARTING POINT and then adjust to taste. But it has my hard to get Laker purples looking good, shadow detail looking good, "blacks" looking good, skin tones looking good, sharpness, POP ……. I think it has it ALL now. The big change was starting now in CALIBRATED PICTURE MODE and with NORMAL COLOR TEMP.

PICTURE MODE CALIBRATED

BACKLIGHT 100

BRIGHTNESS 54

CONTRAST 68

COLOR 48-50

TINT + 3

SHARPNESS 54 or To Taste

COLOR TEMP NORMAL

AUTO BRIGHT OFF

BLACK DETAIL MEDIUM !!!

SMART DIMMING ON

SIGNAL NOISE LOW Cleanest sources obviously OFF

BLOCK ARTIFACT LOW Same ^^^

FILM MODE AUTO

The CALIBRATED setting starts you off in a very good place.

And now with the CALIBRATED DARK MODE:

BACKLIGHT 58

BRIGHTNESS 48

CONTRAST 74

COLOR 50

SHARPNESS 56 or To Taste

REST SAME AS ABOVE
post #108 of 2173 Old 01-15-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:

OMG….. My bad these are not the settings you want above. I thought it looked good at that point but today I started with the CALIBRATION mode and did all the same with familiar footage and freeze frames. The new HOT formula (for me) is below in separate post. BUT eek.gifeek.gif …. dayam……. this 40" new E series Viszio has now surpassed my expectations

I will be curious to see what settings you landed on
post #109 of 2173 Old 01-15-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSenileGuy View Post

Just noticed that Amazon now has the 48-inch model (E480i-B2) in stock. By my count, that means the 40-inch, the 48-inch, and the 50-inch models are now currently available.

Our local Sam's club has the 55" ( and 48" ).
post #110 of 2173 Old 01-15-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:

OMG….. My bad these are not the settings you want above. I thought it looked good at that point but today I started with the CALIBRATION mode and did all the same with familiar footage and freeze frames. The new HOT formula (for me) is below in separate post. BUT eek.gifeek.gif …. dayam……. this 40" new E series Viszio has now surpassed my expectations

OK YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS OUT AS A STARTING POINT and then adjust to taste. But it has my hard to get Laker purples looking good, shadow detail looking good, "blacks" looking good, skin tones looking good, sharpness, POP ……. I think it has it ALL now. The big change was starting now in CALIBRATED PICTURE MODE and with NORMAL COLOR TEMP.

PICTURE MODE CALIBRATED

BACKLIGHT 100

BRIGHTNESS 56

CONTRAST 84

COLOR 52

TINT + 2

SHARPNESS 40 or HIGHER TO TASTE

COLOR TEMP NORMAL

AUTO BRIGHT OFF

BLACK DETAIL MEDIUM !!!

SMART DIMMING ON

SIGNAL NOISE LOW Cleanest sources obviously OFF

BLOCK ARTIFACT LOW Same ^^^

FILM MODE AUTO

The CALIBRATED setting starts you off in a very good place.

Backlight at 100? wow that is super high, i almost never have mine above 50.
post #111 of 2173 Old 01-15-2014, 11:56 AM

Anybody have an opinion (or first-hand experience) regarding how the new E-series 40" from Vizio would compare to a similarly-featured Samsung such as the UN40F5500?

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E400i-B2-40-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00GKKI4Q6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389815725&sr=1-1&keywords=e400i-b2

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN40F5500-40-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00BCGRVWQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1389815346&sr=1-4

Thanks,

-Mark

post #112 of 2173 Old 01-15-2014, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To be clear I have not confirmed if the dimming zones go horizontal across, that is just what I was thinking based on what I saw. I would not be shocked if they were in some sort of weird configuration.

Well, they could have used their 5 zones to perfectly align with:

top letterbox and bottom letterbox (2)
residual left letterbox and residual right letterbox (2)
central portion of the screen(1)

Hooking up you computer to the screen and moving your cursor around a dark screen (as Speakerphile suggested) is probably the only way to see where the boundaries are (unless you can notice them in the course of content playing).

No way that 5 zones can give any real level of 'local' dimming, but they should be able to at lease properly take care of blanking out the letterbox zones (which is an improvement).

-fafrd
post #113 of 2173 Old 01-15-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Backlight at 100? wow that is super high, i almost never have mine above 50.

I watch a bright JVC 4810 on low lamp at -5 to -10 manual aperture, depending on source and what type of material I'm watching, on a legacy material 2.8 gain 8.5' wide 16x9 Hi Power screen. Probably 25-30 FL. Especially when watching sports. Even with movies I am not a 14FL guy, but will take the aperture on the projector lower if needed.

In my setup above I have been watching specifically very clean footage from last week's Broncos vs Chargers game, the last Super Bowl, clean telecasts of Lakers at Staples and some really pristine MLB programming with Dodgers at St. Louis a couple months ago. I have this Vizio looking a lot like what I see outside in that room. And it is really good.

BTW, unless I am remembering incorrectly, don't think so…… the setting for the backlight on Normal from the factory was 80. On the bright CALIBRATED picture mode it was at 100.

EDIT: With more watching, strictly on high quality television broadcasts, current and on my DirecTV DVR, I ammended my above settings with BRIGHTNESS to 55, CONTRAST now to 78 and COLOR now to 50. It keeps getting better. This is with both high quality sporting events, now Zero Dark Thirty for a movie and some other high quality movie transfers on DirectTV. No bluray yet.
post #114 of 2173 Old 01-15-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:

I watch a bright JVC 4810 on low lamp at -5 to -10 manual aperture, depending on source and what type of material I'm watching, on a legacy material 2.8 gain 8.5' wide 16x9 Hi Power screen. Probably 25-30 FL. Especially when watching sports. Even with movies I am not a 14FL guy, but will take the aperture on the projector lower if needed.

In my setup above I have been watching specifically very clean footage from last week's Broncos vs Chargers game, the last Super Bowl, clean telecasts of Lakers at Staples and some really pristine MLB programming with Dodgers at St. Louis a couple months ago. I have this Vizio looking a lot like what I see outside in that room. And it is really good.

BTW, unless I am remembering incorrectly, don't think so…… the setting for the backlight on Normal from the factory was 80. On the bright CALIBRATED picture mode it was at 100.

Interesting, I will have to play around with that.
post #115 of 2173 Old 01-15-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah me too. I just took it down to 50 on the backlight and after eyes adjust, and certainly in a darker room than what I have right now, I could see that working too. So adjust the backlight to your tastes as well for the amount of pop you want. These are LCDs after all, and as mentioned with much of sports and other clean HD telecasts many people will opt for higher than a prescribed 14FL which works for many with Bluray. Have not even hooked up the Bluray player yet to test. THAT should be another step up in WOW factor here. eek.gif Digging this set and very happy with myself for reading all about it for a couple of hours on AVS here, after it sort of caught my "performance" eye next to that whatever model same size Samsung at Costco 2 days ago.
post #116 of 2173 Old 01-15-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 70
RonF:

Not that this is terribly relevant, but on my late 2013 E701i-A3, a brightness of 58 would raise blacks level too much (I end up at 48-50), contrast of 86 would crush whites (73-75 works for me), color of 52 would be over saturated and anything but the lowest sharpness setting would introduce noticeable edge artifacts. Have you run anything like Disney WoW, Spears and Munsil or the AVS disk to see what these settings are doing versus these reference standards? Sure, you may prefer these settings regardless of test results, especially in a very bright room, but I just wonder if any of the adversities I see when testing my 2013 at those settings applies to your new set.

RonF, thanks to you and mxpx5678 for all the reporting so we can live vicariously through you for now. I'm waiting for the larger sizes to appear.
post #117 of 2173 Old 01-15-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Bill, you may be right on all of this, though I don't know if these sets with the really limited local dimming and full array backlight and your set is close to the same as these or not. But no…..this is all quick Down and Dirty strictly by eye. First glances showed more shadow detail with the brightness at somewhat higher than 50. Again, not using patterns but actual footage and freeze frames, like with the blackout seating areas during Lakers games at Staples. Seemed (to me) like blacks and shadow detail actually were crushed over what they "could be" at a setting of 50. I do like the MEDIUM on the Black Detail setting though, considerably better than OFF and that is better than LOW or HIGH. Just seeing as how 50 on backlighting can look good with same settings as 100 on the CALIBRATED picture mode it came with, it seems the granulation is very fine on these adjustments. And again, I am still working with mine. But those settings above have me really pumped. This set looks good with high quality source material and you can dial in as you please. I firmly believe now a new owner should start in the bright CALIBRATED mode.

And of course you're welcome for what any of it is worth. I try to give back with observations as so many members on AVS have helped me to buy and use sooooo much equipment sight unseen. Same thing with Amazon user reviews. LOVE Amazon.
post #118 of 2173 Old 01-15-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 70
RonF: Certainly, it's a completely different screen from 2013 and you have some of the advanced processing turned on which might compensate for crushed whites and blacks. I spent days calibrating my set with a meter and in the end the only settings I retained from calibrating were brightness, contrast, and sharpness.. The rest I did to "taste" with viewing material, like you. Enjoy.
post #119 of 2173 Old 01-15-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:

Bill, you may be right on all of this, though I don't know if these sets with the really limited local dimming and full array backlight and your set is close to the same as these or not. But no…..this is all quick Down and Dirty strictly by eye. First glances showed more shadow detail with the brightness at somewhat higher than 50. Again, not using patterns but actual footage and freeze frames, like with the blackout seating areas during Lakers games at Staples. Seemed (to me) like blacks and shadow detail actually were crushed over what they "could be" at a setting of 50. I do like the MEDIUM on the Black Detail setting though, considerably better than OFF and that is better than LOW or HIGH. Just seeing as how 50 on backlighting can look good with same settings as 100 on the CALIBRATED picture mode it came with, it seems the granulation is very fine on these adjustments. And again, I am still working with mine. But those settings above have me really pumped. This set looks good with high quality source material and you can dial in as you please. I firmly believe now a new owner should start in the bright CALIBRATED mode.

And of course you're welcome for what any of it is worth. I try to give back with observations as so many members on AVS have helped me to buy and use sooooo much equipment sight unseen. Same thing with Amazon user reviews. LOVE Amazon.

Quick question but does your tv do a faint clicking noise when it's off? It goes and it comes randomly and you have to be really close to the tv to hear it. Just wondering if you're experiencing it too.

post #120 of 2173 Old 01-15-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Not that I am aware of. I will try to remember to get up close and personal with it and listen to see if so with mine too. Tough of course when things are random and not happening all the time.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E Series E401i A2 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Lit Internet Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page