post #1171 of 2287 Old 04-11-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bast525 View Post

Got the TV back from the store (550i-B2). Did a quick run through on the settings using the free AVC test patterns. Right off the bat I can say that uniformity on this set on black, white, and any solid color screen is damn near perfect and immensely better than either the 2013 E-series and M- series that I tried. There is still a little darkening in the extreme corners but that's it.

Black level also seems MUCH better. With the backlight at 50, smart dimming OFF, and one 40-watt light lighting the room from one corner, displaying a white screen is bright enough to hurt my eyes, displaying a black screen you almost can't see any light coming from the TV. Again, that's with smart dimming OFF.

I did find using the color clipping and color decoder test patterns that there is a very strong green push while reds were slightly under saturated. Yellows are also pulling towards green a bit.

That said, my set is on the v1.25 firmware and does have the professional color tuner options, so I was able to fix all of these issues.

I havent done much WATCHING yet, but so far just going off test patterns and an inital setup, this set is KILLING both 2013 E and M for PQ and uniformity. The only dislike so far? The TV is way to wobbly on the base.

Thank you guys again, I am so glad I posted here and got the responses I did!

No mention of motion blur? tongue.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 2287 Old 04-11-2014, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If there is any motion blur I'm not seeing it. Nor am I drtefting any lag after setting up a custom mode based on the game mode.
post #1173 of 2287 Old 04-12-2014, 12:36 AM

Liked: 11

Went to Sams to pick up some odds and ends and saw they had 6 of the E600i-B3 TVs in stock. Returned my E550 got the E600. Must be much newer firmware as the apps are much nicer on the new one.

post #1174 of 2287 Old 04-12-2014, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If there is any motion blur I'm not seeing it. Nor am I drtefting any lag after setting up a custom mode based on the game mode.

Based on a review, they noted that there's a brightness drop in game mode. Do you notice the drop? is it minor or huge? I don't plan on using back light scanning because that's really supposed to knock down the brightness when activated. :P

At this point, i'm just contemplating on weather i should go for the 50" or 55" if i do decide to get a vizio M. at just under 11 feet away, my current 60" just seems a little too massive and over powering, almost taking over the room. It's just a bit too much. tongue.gif Since Wii U games are 720p, they'll look better on the 50"(they say at around 10 feet 1080p becomes unoticable on a 50" and at 10.73" for a 55") hmmm, vhat to do.
post #1175 of 2287 Old 04-12-2014, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I noticed at a local walmart a 65" 2014 E-series revision E650i-A2 which had the new box design advertising full array + smart dimming. Although there was no zone designation on the box.
post #1176 of 2287 Old 04-12-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

Based on a review, they noted that there's a brightness drop in game mode. Do you notice the drop? is it minor or huge? I don't plan on using back light scanning because that's really supposed to knock down the brightness when activated. :P

I don't see any brightness difference in game mode. Nor do I see any motion issues.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #1177 of 2287 Old 04-12-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

I noticed at a local walmart a 65" 2014 E-series revision E650i-A2 which had the new box design advertising full array + smart dimming. Although there was no zone designation on the box.

That wasn't a 2014 then, it was a 2013.  Ax = 2013, Bx = 2014.

post #1178 of 2287 Old 04-12-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:

At this point, i'm just contemplating on weather i should go for the 50" or 55" if i do decide to get a vizio M. at just under 11 feet away, my current 60" just seems a little too massive and over powering, almost taking over the room. It's just a bit too much. tongue.gif Since Wii U games are 720p, they'll look better on the 50"(they say at around 10 feet 1080p becomes unoticable on a 50" and at 10.73" for a 55") hmmm, vhat to do.

I don't see any drop in brightness switching to game mode. I do see a very slight, but definitely noticeable, drop in brightness when enabling the smooth motion setting. But here's the thing, this TV gets REALLY bright. My living room windows all face south and plenty of sunlight comes in during the day. With the 2013 M, I had to max backlight in the daytime, this TV is MUCH brighter and does fine around 50-60.
post #1179 of 2287 Old 04-12-2014, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Well, went to Sam's today, and they just got the E600i-b3, they were just carrying to the display rack. But the A$$hole employee was there again. He wouldn't even check the model number for me, or let me look. I had to wait for him to carry it over to the display rack and put the tv down before I could get a quick look at the model number. I was excited that it was the b3 and I told them I wanted to buy it.

My membership expires in a few days, and it's a business account, I want to change it to a personal account and renew my membership. You have to have a personal Sam's credit card to take advantage of the 12 month delay payment sale they have going on now. I had to close my business at the end of 2013, and I don't need a business card anymore. So, this would be a good time to change it over, and get the sale. But for some reason, I can't change it to a personal card till after my old membership expires. Doesn't make any sense to me. But now I have to wait till the 20th before I can change the membership and credit card to personal. I hate having to wait.

They told me they have 33 of them in stock, and they really doubt they will sell them all before I come back on the 20th. They wouldn't hold one for me. If they are sure they aren't going to sell out that fast, then what's the problem with just holding one for me. If I don't come on the 20th, they move it back with all the others they haven't sold yet, right....

The A$$hole knew I wanted to see what the tv looked like, so, he waited till it was the last tv he hooked up, and even after he hooked it up, he didn't put it on the video demo system, So, I never got to see it working. I couldn't wait any longer, and had to leave. I'd really like to tell upper management about this guy. He does very little to help anyone interested in a tv. He won't get a remote for any tv, he just says if you like it, buy, and if you don't like it, just bring it back. It's a waste of my time, and it cost Sam's Club money I'm sure, getting a bunch of tv's back.

So, I'm going to return this 46" Magnavox, and get a refund, then I'm going to buy the E600i-b3 one way or another. If I can't get a personal credit card for some reason, I'll just use my discovery card instead, and forget about the sale.

The sale price was $898, plus $99 for 4 year warranty, that's really only 3 years. Since the warranty starts the day you buy it. I'd go to Costco, but it's a much farther drive, and there is nothing out that way for me, other then Costco. So, I would have very little reason to go there again after I bought a membership and the tv. So, I'm stuck with Sam's. The club that could careless what you want.

If I can get the delay payment, I think I'll run over to Walmart and get the 42" E420i-b2 as well, in place of the Magnavox. The 60" and the 42" sitting side by side on my desk would look pretty good I think.

They had the new LG 2014 55" there, and the picture looked really good. I don't know the model number, but it was $798.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 16gb ram, 19tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
post #1180 of 2287 Old 04-12-2014, 01:50 PM

Quick question. I had to return my 55 inch to Sam's Club due to the top left corner flash lighting issue, and exchanged it for another one. Now given Sams' policy of 90 day returns, does this mean that I have an additional 90 days with the TV I got to replace the previous one?

post #1181 of 2287 Old 04-12-2014, 02:40 PM

I don't think so, I think they give you back the original ticket, otherwise, you can just bring back your tv every 85 days, and keep getting new ones. You'd never need to buy a tv again, because you could just return the one you bought over and over again. biggrin.gif

Then again, they just might give you a new ticket, but they will keep track if you keep returning tv's. Let's say, on the 90th day, the tv failed, you return the tv, and take home a replacement, and that tv dies a week later, you shouldn't be stuck with it, or maybe they will stick you with it, and force you to deal with the Manufacturer. I guess I'm not a lot of help on this huh. LOL

I really do think they base it on the first purchase date though. I guess, that's when the Extended warranty might help out.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 16gb ram, 19tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
post #1182 of 2287 Old 04-12-2014, 04:14 PM

A word of caution if anyone is looking to pick up the 50" from Target. They are using the same stock number for the A1 and the B1. Ordered a B1 from the website for store pickup. Got to the store and it was an A1. As others have noted, it had the new box style. Has anyone ordered from Target and gotten a B1 delivered? Just wondering if they are unknowingly doing the bait and switch all around.

It's like, how much more black could this be... and the answer is none... none more black.
post #1183 of 2287 Old 04-12-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't see any drop in brightness switching to game mode. I do see a very slight, but definitely noticeable, drop in brightness when enabling the smooth motion setting. But here's the thing, this TV gets REALLY bright. My living room windows all face south and plenty of sunlight comes in during the day. With the 2013 M, I had to max backlight in the daytime, this TV is MUCH brighter and does fine around 50-60.

Really? Well that's good to hear about there not being any brightness difference and it's even greater that you actually have control over the PQ settings in game mode, as it turns into a custom setting without any additional input lag.
BUT, what about local dimming, is it automatically set to off in game mode?

I'm coming from an LG LK450 2010 LCD( it's an VA panel), and i'd love to know just how much better the black levels, motion handeling and brightness(if it's at least on par with the LK's than that's perfect) are in comparison.
The LK's black levels are pretty disappointing, which is a pretty big deal breaker in combination with the motion blur. but it does everything else extremely well.....That is, if you can get past the screen clouding and back light shining/bleeding coming out of the back and projecting onto the wall.lol

Anyhoo, still wondering if i should go for the 55" or 50" At just under 11 feet, my current 60" is just too much. feels too overpowering for my living room. It still boggles my mind that there are people that sit 8 feet away from that size, their living rooms must be totaly dwarfed down, chlostrophobic and awkward. tongue.gif
post #1184 of 2287 Old 04-12-2014, 10:55 PM

Hi, I'm new here and looking for some opinions/help with my E400i-b2.  Can anyone tell me what the grainy, "moving pixels" look is when any dark or black scene comes on the screen?  Any night time scene is very distracting because the whole background is moving, it looks like the pixels are struggling or something.  Don't know any technical terms, this is the best way I could describe it.  I've tried every calibration available to fix it but nothing improved it even slightly.  Is it possible this is a problem with my FIOS or is it the tv?  Also, I've been trying for hours to get the skin colors right....I'll get it good on one station, then switch channels and all the skin tones look terrible again. The color overall is a little off even after much time calibrating.  Is it possible I just got a bum tv?  Most people seem to love their picture here so I'm wondering why mine isn't so great!  Thanks for any help you can offer.

post #1185 of 2287 Old 04-13-2014, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

I don't see any brightness difference in game mode. Nor do I see any motion issues.

Reviewed.Com - Televesions >

"The drawback to the Game picture mode is that it dims the screen considerably, and disables the local dimming out of necessity"

Now, if playing around with PQ settings in game picture mode, which then turns it into custom mode(with the same low lag in game mode) maybe it also retains the actual custom modes brightness?
And by motion issues, i mean blur. It's just how it is with all LCD/LED's, and to a much lesser extent high end plasmas. The question is, how much does it blur?

a few or so reviewers up on Amazon mentioned just how bad the blur actually is.
post #1186 of 2287 Old 04-13-2014, 03:15 AM

Quote:

Really? Well that's good to hear about there not being any brightness difference and it's even greater that you actually have control over the PQ settings in game mode, as it turns into a custom setting without any additional input lag.
BUT, what about local dimming, is it automatically set to off in game mode?

I'm coming from an LG LK450 2010 LCD( it's an VA panel), and i'd love to know just how much better the black levels, motion handeling and brightness(if it's at least on par with the LK's than that's perfect) are in comparison.
The LK's black levels are pretty disappointing, which is a pretty big deal breaker in combination with the motion blur. but it does everything else extremely well.....That is, if you can get past the screen clouding and back light shining/bleeding coming out of the back and projecting onto the wall.lol

Anyhoo, still wondering if i should go for the 55" or 50" At just under 11 feet, my current 60" is just too much. feels too overpowering for my living room. It still boggles my mind that there are people that sit 8 feet away from that size, their living rooms must be totaly dwarfed down, chlostrophobic and awkward. tongue.gif

It's funny you say that, about distances from tv. I'll be sitting 3 feet from my new 60" when I get it, and it's going to be great. It's going to be like Virtual Reality LOL. I'll see nothing but screen. But I'm a person that sees everything in front of them, and I can't turn it off. In the movie theater I have to see in the front row, because if I sit with people in front of me, and they move while the movie is playing, it will pull me right out of the movie. I'll easily see the whole screen at 3 feet away.

First though, I have to see the tv in action, I want to see how well the pixels are, and if there is any screen door effect at that range. Most new hdtv's are great at any distances, I'm hoping the E600i-b3 will be the same.

post #1187 of 2287 Old 04-13-2014, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblast View Post

It's funny you say that, about distances from tv. I'll be sitting 3 feet from my new 60" when I get it, and it's going to be great. It's going to be like Virtual Reality LOL. I'll see nothing but screen. But I'm a person that sees everything in front of them, and I can't turn it off. In the movie theater I have to see in the front row, because if I sit with people in front of me, and they move while the movie is playing, it will pull me right out of the movie. I'll easily see the whole screen at 3 feet away.

First though, I have to see the tv in action, I want to see how well the pixels are, and if there is any screen door effect at that range. Most new hdtv's are great at any distances, I'm hoping the E600i-b3 will be the same.

3 feet from a 60"? good lord man. :pThis would only work out well if you plan on viewing 4k material.. they say '4' feet is the optimum viewing distance for 4k at that size, while 1080p is 8 feet.
I'm still debating on weather i should downgrade to a 55" or 50", i'll be sitting just under 11 feet. I don't like to sit too far away nor do i like to sit too close. Before, when i had a 32" 4:3 sony wega trinitron, i was at about 10 1/2 feet and it was perfect. tongue.gif
And i can kind of relate when it comes to being distracted at the movies, but my problem mainly stems from the fact that there are usually tweeny boppers in the audience either chit chatting, or playing on their I-Phone which sometimes even emits a little glow square the further you look down.lol
I prefer to watch movies(mainly horror), alone, with a pair of HD595 sennhesier headphones hooked up to my receiver.lol
post #1188 of 2287 Old 04-13-2014, 04:10 AM

Quote:

3 feet from a 60"? good lord man. :pThis would only work out well if you plan on viewing 4k material.. they say '4' feet is the optimum viewing distance for 4k at that size, while 1080p is 8 feet.
I'm still debating on weather i should downgrade to a 55" or 50", i'll be sitting just under 11 feet. I don't like to sit too far away nor do i like to sit too close. Before, when i had a 32" 4:3 sony wega trinitron, i was at about 10 1/2 feet and it was perfect. tongue.gif
And i can kind of relate when it comes to being distracted at the movies, but my problem mainly stems from the fact that there are usually tweeny boppers in the audience either chit chatting, or playing on their I-Phone which sometimes even emits a little glow square the further you look down.lol
I prefer to watch movies(mainly horror), alone, with a pair of HD595 sennhesier headphones hooked up to my receiver.lol

I don't think I've really been to the movies since before smartphone came out. So, there wasn't a problem with people looking at their phones all the time. So, no square lights. smile.gif

I'm sitting 3 feet from a 46" right now, and it's great. I'm looking forward to the 60" as long as there is no screen door effect, I should be ok. I won't watch tv on it. Everything I watch is pretty good quality, so, hopefully sitting that close won't be a issue. Also, I'm going to be using it as my main computer monitor, the same as I'm using the 46" right now. Should be very interesting. smile.gif

post #1189 of 2287 Old 04-13-2014, 10:54 AM

Noticed something about this TV last night, not sure if this is typical of all TV's... there is a difference between each picture mode that goes further than just variations in their visible and changeable settings. For example, if I use the AVC patterns to set up a custom mode based on the Calibrated mode, and then do the same but start from the Calibrated Dark mode instead, I end up with slightly different settings for Color and Tint, as well as different color tuner settings to address green push and weak reds.

To put it another way, if I took Calibrated, and Calibrated dark, and set all of their settings exactly the same, this would still result in a slightly different picture.

Secondly, starting in Game mode and making any changes DOES still kick you out of Game mode (you can tell because the screen blacks out for a second when switching into or out of Game), BUT, it doesn't seem to matter, as even not being in Game, the lag is imperceptible to me.

As for motion blur, I've been doing a lot of gaming over the past couple days on the E550, and I really am not seeing an issue with motion blur. Games I've been playing:

Gears of War
New Super Mario U
Street Fighter 4
Skyrim
Insanely Twisted: Shadow Planet
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Ikaruga

I don't expect most of you to know what half of these are biggrin.gif but it is a good mix between first person, side scrolling, high def, low def, fast action, and critical timing gameplay, giving me a good idea of how good the PQ is, how bad the lag is, and how bad the motion blur is. This set gets flying colors on all counts.

Seven years ago when I went shopping for my first HDTV, motion blur was VERY bad, to the point that playing a game like Oblivion, which had fantastic and very detailed graphics at the time... I remember looking at a tree and being able to see every single leaf, and then as soon as I started to move, all the leaves blurred into a green mess. That is NOT an issue here.

Overall, I think this TV is a keeper for me. Having had it a couple days now and really spent time setting it up, I will say that it's solid color/white screen uniformity is NOT as good as it was on the 2013 M, but it's not nearly as bad as it was on the 2013 E either. Black screen uniformity and black level capability it beats both handily. The only actual problem I'm seeing is there is one bright spot that is visible at the bottom on a black screen when first powering the TV on, which fades as the TV warms up... which I think is very weird, but also, given the luck I've had, I think it's acceptable... I'll watch it closely though to make sure it doesn't get any worse during my return period.
post #1190 of 2287 Old 04-13-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is the 55-incher e550i-B2 capable of genuine 120Hz, or is it native 60Hz with "scanning backlight" or whatever to try to simulate 120Hz?
post #1191 of 2287 Old 04-13-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Noticed something about this TV last night, not sure if this is typical of all TV's... there is a difference between each picture mode that goes further than just variations in their visible and changeable settings. For example, if I use the AVC patterns to set up a custom mode based on the Calibrated mode, and then do the same but start from the Calibrated Dark mode instead, I end up with slightly different settings for Color and Tint, as well as different color tuner settings to address green push and weak reds.

To put it another way, if I took Calibrated, and Calibrated dark, and set all of their settings exactly the same, this would still result in a slightly different picture.

Secondly, starting in Game mode and making any changes DOES still kick you out of Game mode (you can tell because the screen blacks out for a second when switching into or out of Game), BUT, it doesn't seem to matter, as even not being in Game, the lag is imperceptible to me.

As for motion blur, I've been doing a lot of gaming over the past couple days on the E550, and I really am not seeing an issue with motion blur. Games I've been playing:

Gears of War
New Super Mario U
Street Fighter 4
Skyrim
Insanely Twisted: Shadow Planet
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Ikaruga

I don't expect most of you to know what half of these are biggrin.gif but it is a good mix between first person, side scrolling, high def, low def, fast action, and critical timing gameplay, giving me a good idea of how good the PQ is, how bad the lag is, and how bad the motion blur is. This set gets flying colors on all counts.

Seven years ago when I went shopping for my first HDTV, motion blur was VERY bad, to the point that playing a game like Oblivion, which had fantastic and very detailed graphics at the time... I remember looking at a tree and being able to see every single leaf, and then as soon as I started to move, all the leaves blurred into a green mess. That is NOT an issue here.

Overall, I think this TV is a keeper for me. Having had it a couple days now and really spent time setting it up, I will say that it's solid color/white screen uniformity is NOT as good as it was on the 2013 M, but it's not nearly as bad as it was on the 2013 E either. Black screen uniformity and black level capability it beats both handily. The only actual problem I'm seeing is there is one bright spot that is visible at the bottom on a black screen when first powering the TV on, which fades as the TV warms up... which I think is very weird, but also, given the luck I've had, I think it's acceptable... I'll watch it closely though to make sure it doesn't get any worse during my return period.

Thanks for the impressions man! That's a nice well rounded gaming list you've got there. And i know what you mean, the majority of gamers on this site are typically call of duty-bro shooter heads. It doesn't get more casual than COD. tongue.gif I'm much more of a nintendo fan these days(have been since the 80's. although i've bought almost every console from sega, including the Genesis, saturn, game gear & Dreamcast, and even stuck with the PS1 over the N64 during that generation). I still haven't gotten around to playing the obscure SHMUP 'ikaruga' yet. Might get it on the gamecube one of these days.
Anyhoo, so there's no drop in brightness in game mode like the other users pointed out? This clashes with that online review which was posted back in march that mentioned that there was a drop. weird.

Also, are you basing your opinion on motion handling with all of that motion interpolation turned off? wouldn't activating 120hz(i'm a bit of an LCD/LED noob so bare with me. coming from CRT & Plasma. i've only owned 2 smaller sized LG LCD's) generate more input lag or alter motion for video games? I wont be using back light scanning now since that feature does in fact knock down the brightness quite a bit.

BTW what do you think the input lag numbers measure at? I'm coming from the S60, which has 34-35ms of input lag, which i'm not exactly too happy with. My previous LG LK450 LCD(Could do 1 frame/16ms via component cables and the same goes for the panasonic S30 which was a god awful set. :P )
I'm hoping for 1 frame or less, but if it's lower than 35ms i'll still make due i guess. Looking forward to CNET's leo B input lag test to get the true numbers. Anybody can say "i hardly feel any lag" online, but that doesn't really mean anything unless they've been gaming on a lag free CRT SDTV for years like i have. wink.gif

Oh and how's the scaling on this set for 720p(Wii U) content? My S60 does a week job at it, where as my older LCD's did a magnificent job. I honestly don't get the love for a lot of these panny plasmas, especially the S60. Panny has integrated their Flat, lifeless and dim 'cinema' mode into their custom mode now and it doesn't look 'true to life' Vs the CRT's and LCD's that i've owned and seen....I can't wait to get rid of this set, and downgrade in size. Once somebody sits in my living room i can tell that they're overwhelmed by my 60" S60 haha.
post #1192 of 2287 Old 04-13-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmi4ever View Post

Is the 55-incher e550i-B2 capable of genuine 120Hz, or is it native 60Hz with "scanning backlight" or whatever to try to simulate 120Hz?
The Vizio promotional material indicates it's the latter for all the 2014 FALD E series sets.
post #1193 of 2287 Old 04-13-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmi4ever View Post

Native 60hz. 180hz with backlight scanning.
post #1194 of 2287 Old 04-13-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

First time poster..   bought the e550i-b2 from ebay deal,  no problems.  

PC/amd 7950 hd /CRU/- - > hdmi input 110HZ never pushed it further. Tried 80HZ-90HZ-100HZ-110HZ no issue or blur(smooth @ 90HZ pc gaming). 

V1.16.47.0758

post #1195 of 2287 Old 04-13-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Alright, i'm almost dead set on the 55" Vizio E, now that the 'M' series won't be hitting until summer...Thanks a lot vizo for the unnecessary release gap. Your name should be switched to Stupizio. wink.gif

Anyhoo! Has anybody experienced any sort of Back light bleeding, like a bit of light shinning or projecting light from the back of the TV and on the wall? This was an issue with my older LK450 traditional LCD. And what about clouding? a bit of blooming is a given, i know that considering there's only 12 dimming zones. but it beats none! Hopefully they'll be selling these Vizio's in Canada....That's going to be another issue all together. tongue.gif

I'm waiting until CNET's review pops up with Leo B input lag results. Fingers crossed for 1 frame/16ms or less.....wink.gif Would be a nice step up from my S60's 34-35ms that's for sure.
On the flip side, the E series actual design is far more pleasing to the eyes, it's beautiful, all black, and simple. Where as the M series looks like it was built in space by an alien drunk off Kryptonite. I can't stand the silver Window designed stand and silver stripes on the side of the TV itself. :P Plus, i'll be saving $200+ and even a bit more since i planned on buying a stand alone E stand for the M i planned on getting, that is if it's compatible with it. tongue.gif

PS: How in the heck am i supposed to order the 55" Vizio E online in Canada? Are there any places that sell the vizio brand down here? BestBuy and futureshop still don't seem to...While costco and Walmart don't seem to carry any online.
post #1196 of 2287 Old 04-14-2014, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's another review.....it scored 40ms for input lag, that's even worse than my S60. WTF?....This is why i don't really care what some random user says online, typically ranging from 'i don't feel any lag, it's near perfect, almost undetectable' in the end, it's all about the numbers. a 34ms set to me doesn't even feel that great vs a 16ms/1 frame set(that i previous owned), then you side that by a 0ms set(CRT SDTV) and there's a noticeable difference right there as well. I'm sorry, but 40ms is too much lag for me. Maybe their testing methods are different compared to the Leo B test?

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/vizio-lcd-tv/vizio-e550i-b2.html
post #1197 of 2287 Old 04-14-2014, 04:20 AM

Quote:

Here's another review.....it scored 40ms for input lag, that's even worse than my S60. WTF?....This is why i don't really care what some random user says online, typically ranging from 'i don't feel any lag, it's near perfect, almost undetectable' in the end, it's all about the numbers. a 34ms set to me doesn't even feel that great vs a 16ms/1 frame set(that i previous owned), then you side that by a 0ms set(CRT SDTV) and there's a noticeable difference right there as well. I'm sorry, but 40ms is too much lag for me. Maybe their testing methods are different compared to the Leo B test?

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/vizio-lcd-tv/vizio-e550i-b2.html

I don't think I would trust that page. It looks like they reviewed the 40", and the specs of the rest of the Vizio line and then it's almost like they copied and pasted the 40" review for the rest of the line, with a guess what the specs would do for that size tv, and changing the review to fit their guess. They change the reviews for each size, but it feels more like they reviewed just one tv from the line and made it look like they reviewed them all. The only tv in the line that seem to click when the tv is off, is the 40". But I think they say all the line does that. Never seen a review that complained about that for the 55" clicking. It's the reason why I think they are basing all their reviews off the 40".

I've read a lot of reviews, and don't remember any of them complaining about gaming lag. If there was a real gaming lag issue with the vizio line, then you would see many people talking about lag. Most people seem really happy with the tv. Still 40ms is really low, below 30 would be better, but the difference between 40ms, 30ms is so small, I doubt you could feel it. Still, I wouldn't trust their review on the lag numbers, or their review at all.

Wait for cnet's review, and I might own the 42" and the 60" by next weekend. I plan on doing my own review. But I'm not a expert, and I don't nickpick either. I watch a ton of video though, and there are a few great example videos I'm going to run to test them out, and I play games on my tv all the time. I'm Beta testing Everquest Landmark right now. The distances you can see in that game is huge. When you turn and look around, there is so much on the screen that has to change while your doing it. You can get a good feel of things, by spinning around really quickly, and while jumping. Most of the games I play are MMO's though, there is a racing game I play, where lag could cause a lot of problems. I'll run that as well. Hopefully, I'll come back with glowing reviews.

post #1198 of 2287 Old 04-14-2014, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bought the 55" B2 at Walmart ($598 store grand opening special, new local Warlmart), set it up on Friday, and by Saturday, I noticed a dead pixel. Very annoying considering how much hockey I watch. Also had a bit of a lockup with the info screen (the screen that comes up that tells you resolution and stuff), so back it went on Sunday. I get there and of course they don't have anymore, but the electronics sales clerk says, "we will be getting more in later this afternoon." So I go back in the afternoon and they "have more". Got on line with the TV and remembered to check model number. Sure enough it was an A0, not a B2. So went back to electronics and they didn't have any B2 in the back. He got his manager, and the manager said, no more B2s, they are only sending him A0s at that price. So I got a refund. So now I'm looking, but not sure if I want another one of these, considering the issues I had on the first. The remote seems iffy and I got the bad pixel and lockups. Has anyone else had these issues?

Looking at a JVC that comes with a Roku stick or a Philips 58" that's a bit more money. Not sure if they are better options though.

Steve
post #1199 of 2287 Old 04-14-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by transponder View Post

Went to Sams to pick up some odds and ends and saw they had 6 of the E600i-B3 TVs in stock. Returned my E550 got the E600. Must be much newer firmware as the apps are much nicer on the new one.

Do you know the Item number?  May be on your receipt.  Just curious, neither of my Sam's have them on the website, checked one physically and there was none out.  Just wondering if I could find them on the samsclub website with the Item number.  Example, the 55" is Sam's Item#73112.  Thanks, wanting to trade my 55 in on a 60 once my Sam;s gets them.

post #1200 of 2287 Old 04-14-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblast View Post

I don't think I would trust that page. It looks like they reviewed the 40", and the specs of the rest of the Vizio line and then it's almost like they copied and pasted the 40" review for the rest of the line, with a guess what the specs would do for that size tv, and changing the review to fit their guess. They change the reviews for each size, but it feels more like they reviewed just one tv from the line and made it look like they reviewed them all. The only tv in the line that seem to click when the tv is off, is the 40". But I think they say all the line does that. Never seen a review that complained about that for the 55" clicking. It's the reason why I think they are basing all their reviews off the 40".

I've read a lot of reviews, and don't remember any of them complaining about gaming lag. If there was a real gaming lag issue with the vizio line, then you would see many people talking about lag. Most people seem really happy with the tv. Still 40ms is really low, below 30 would be better, but the difference between 40ms, 30ms is so small, I doubt you could feel it. Still, I wouldn't trust their review on the lag numbers, or their review at all.

Wait for cnet's review, and I might own the 42" and the 60" by next weekend. I plan on doing my own review. But I'm not a expert, and I don't nickpick either. I watch a ton of video though, and there are a few great example videos I'm going to run to test them out, and I play games on my tv all the time. I'm Beta testing Everquest Landmark right now. The distances you can see in that game is huge. When you turn and look around, there is so much on the screen that has to change while your doing it. You can get a good feel of things, by spinning around really quickly, and while jumping. Most of the games I play are MMO's though, there is a racing game I play, where lag could cause a lot of problems. I'll run that as well. Hopefully, I'll come back with glowing reviews.

The LG LK450 LCD which i owned back in 2010 oddly enough was capable of 16ms/1 frame via component cables(Tested this out with the Wii & PS3) and did a lousy 46ms via HDMI, the difference was mind boggling between the two.eek.gif even 10ms makes a noticeable difference, it all adds up. my previous panny S30 did 32ms using HDMI and 16ms with component as well. Once you start passing 2 frames that's when you should start worrying. 2 frames for me is still not quite good enough.... 16ms vs 0ms is noticeable as well, i have a good old Sony Wega CRT tube SDTV as my secondary display(yeah right, more like my main vs the disappointing S60) and i've done extensive comparisons with every single HDTV i've owned(I'm on my 6th HDTV). For ex, wii motion pointer controls are a wonderful tool to use when comparing lag differences. even 16ms altered my controls when playing metroid prime 3 on the wii for ex, went back to the Tube and i was in heaven. 40ms is not good....games will be playable, but they'll feel clunkier, heavier and won't perform on 'the dime' which totaly hampers the fun factor and gives you a false impression of how the game actually controls. It's one of the reasons WHY i always turn back to my CRT. Gameplay is far more important to me than anything else, i'll only settle for lag in the 20ms's or lower. Anything above that doesn't cut it for me, as somebody who has been gaming since the 80's and has grown accustomed to lag free tube tv's and sidescrollers that require pixel perfect precision. tongue.gif But you're probably right, that review is probably a little on the bogus side, i wouldn't trust those input lag results. Last years vizio's in 'game mode' were awarded with 25ms(That's 9-10ms lower than my S60, nice improvement i'd say) by the Leo B test(Display lag.com) which is great. cool.gif And people are saying now that game mode switching into custom mode has no perceivable difference in lag, hopefully they're right. The last thing i need is a game setting that doesn't allow you to tweak the picture.

CNET needs to hurry up on their review, this is getting ridiculous. And again, i don't know how i'm supposed to order a 55" Vizio E online in canada....I've checked Walmart, Costco, TigerDirect(ugh), BestBuy and FutureShop and they have nothing.
What in the heck am i supposed to do? Thinking about selling my 60" S60 for about $750-$800, that alone will pretty much cover the full price of the 55" Vizio E. Just need to get a smaller new TV stand and i'm set!cool.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E Series E401i A2 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Lit Internet Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page