Official 2014 Vizio Exxx-Bx Series owners thread - Page 71 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2101 of 2742 Old 06-29-2014, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Is there any speculation on when the E650i-B2 might be available? Vizio' website says "Coming Soon", but I have no idea how long that is in Vizio terms. I just (begrudgingly) sold my 60" Panasonic ST60 due to image retention issues.

I want to go up to a 65" or 70". The M series 65" is available, but I don't really want to spend $1500 for it. I'm going out of town for a few weeks, and won't need to buy a new TV until I get home, but don't want to sit waiting for months for the 65" E series to come out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2742 Old 06-29-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
e480-b2 / no "i" in this model

I purchased an e480-b2. This model does not contain an "i" after the the first numbers. It is therefore not a "smart" TV. I didnt think it necessary to purchase the "i" version because I have appleTV and am therefore internet ready etc. I am assuming there is a greater difference than simply no wireless internet and apps ---> no local dimming, different menu options etc. No model without the "i" has been reviewed on CNET so there are not calibration settings and due to the difference in menu format I cannot just use them - it seems to be a different platform all together...

If someone could confirm the differences and provide a decent calibration calculation I would be very grateful. Also if anyone knows of an update that I could do via usb please inform. Thanks!
post #2103 of 2742 Old 06-29-2014, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg2012 View Post
I purchased an e480-b2. This model does not contain an "i" after the the first numbers. It is therefore not a "smart" TV. I didnt think it necessary to purchase the "i" version because I have appleTV and am therefore internet ready etc. I am assuming there is a greater difference than simply no wireless internet and apps ---> no local dimming, different menu options etc. No model without the "i" has been reviewed on CNET so there are not calibration settings and due to the difference in menu format I cannot just use them - it seems to be a different platform all together...

If someone could confirm the differences and provide a decent calibration calculation I would be very grateful. Also if anyone knows of an update that I could do via usb please inform. Thanks!
I believe it has local dimming, just not Active LED Zones. But since those zones tend to cause more problems then help, your not losing anything. I was looking at the E390 today, and it looked fine. They had it at Walmart for $328. I think Sam's had it for $318.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 16gb ram, 30tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
post #2104 of 2742 Old 06-29-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblast View Post
I believe it has local dimming, just not Active LED Zones. But since those zones tend to cause more problems then help, your not losing anything. I was looking at the E390 today, and it looked fine. They had it at Walmart for $328. I think Sam's had it for $318.
Thanks for your reply... Do you know anything about the calibration settings and why the actual menu differs so much from the "i" models???
post #2105 of 2742 Old 06-30-2014, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg2012 View Post
Thanks for your reply... Do you know anything about the calibration settings and why the actual menu differs so much from the "i" models???
No, sorry. Menu system could be part of the Smart tv programming. Since, the one's without the "I" don't have smart tv, they do it differently. I haven't seen the menu system, but I would imagine that is the reason for the changes. You are losing some features, and saving some money. The picture still looked good, but I don't know the overall difference between the 2. If your not a nitpicker, then you'll probably be happy with it.

The 46" Magnavox I had, looked great, play games great, surfed the net great, but had bad black detail. So, probably 97% of the time, the tv was great. The Avg tv watcher, would love this tv, and love they got it for under $400. Above Avg, this could be a deal breaker, I'm above avg. and the nitpicker would have boxed it back up the same day, and returned it. I mainly return mine, because the tv was shipped damaged, and because I was waiting for the 60" Vizio to come out.

I think the Vizio without the "i" are better tv's in black detail then the Magnavox, So, the above avg. buyer should be happy with it. The nitpicker, maybe not. But you can't buy a budget tv, and expect perfection. You go in knowing there will be some flaws, but it was a cheap tv, and you can deal with it.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 16gb ram, 30tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
post #2106 of 2742 Old 06-30-2014, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just picked up a E500I-B1 and so far it looks great. The app store seems to be pretty weak though, no ESPN nor MLB TV.

Is it better to get a Roku and ignore the smart functions of this TV?
post #2107 of 2742 Old 06-30-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 405
I would always recommend a Roku or sceper are device. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2108 of 2742 Old 06-30-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Never been happy with any smart tv functions. Get a roku 3. I have two.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #2109 of 2742 Old 06-30-2014, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WD TV LIVE + Chromecast..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
post #2110 of 2742 Old 07-01-2014, 07:37 AM

Forgive my newbness..but I recently bought an E500-B1 a couple of months ago. And I am very happy with it..love the black levels, however, why isn't the refresh rate consistent? I can notice what appears to be 120hz on certain channels sometimes..but other times it looks like 60hz. Is it just the different channels? Apparently it's not "true 120hz" it's "effective refresh rate" which I never heard of until I bought this TV. My uncle has a 120hz TV as well but you can tell a big difference in the refresh rate on his than mine.

Is there a setting I need to adjust to make the refresh rate higher?
post #2111 of 2742 Old 07-02-2014, 10:03 AM

Liked: 10
Received my E600i-B3 last night, and after a few moments of panic, I have to say it's an excellent product for the price. For some reason, it defaulted to vivid on all inputs... One on my first tests was watching Avatar and it looked godaweful. Changed the settings to calibrated dark, turned off all the sharpening/macroblocking functions and the picture looked immediately better. I still haven't entered any other settings... but I think I'll be leaving all the array dimming functions on. One thing that is noticeable to me is the judder in panning scenes, but I think it'll improve with some tweaking. Anime looks amazing on it, I attribute that to the 10bit panel; color gradations are significantly better.
post #2112 of 2742 Old 07-02-2014, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What settings are you guys using for the 50"?

I just got my update version V1.34.23-101.0000 and noticing some options that I didn't have before.
post #2113 of 2742 Old 07-02-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 View Post
Is there any speculation on when the E650i-B2 might be available? Vizio' website says "Coming Soon", but I have no idea how long that is in Vizio terms. I just (begrudgingly) sold my 60" Panasonic ST60 due to image retention issues.

I want to go up to a 65" or 70". The M series 65" is available, but I don't really want to spend $1500 for it. I'm going out of town for a few weeks, and won't need to buy a new TV until I get home, but don't want to sit waiting for months for the 65" E series to come out.
Don't know how true this information, but when I email them they told me about two weeks.
post #2114 of 2742 Old 07-02-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loststorm View Post
Don't know how true this information, but when I email them they told me about two weeks.
Thanks. That would be perfect for when I want to buy. I don't suppose they quoted a price?
post #2115 of 2742 Old 07-02-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks. That would be perfect for when I want to buy. I don't suppose they quoted a price?
Nope sorry I forgot to ask about pricing.
post #2116 of 2742 Old 07-02-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loststorm View Post
Nope sorry I forgot to ask about pricing.
Funny, I decided to email them as well after your reply, and they claimed it had been in stock this week, and to keep checking back often for it to come back on stock. I have been checking, it definitely hasn't been in stock. Their reply was within an hour though, that was good.
post #2117 of 2742 Old 07-02-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Check the 1st page of the main Vizio 2014 thread they should have prices listed there. The earlier announced priced have remained the same.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #2118 of 2742 Old 07-02-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Check the 1st page of the main Vizio 2014 thread they should have prices listed there. The earlier announced priced have remained the same.

Thanks, I didn't find it there, but that gave me enough info to search and find it. You can find the prices here. The 65" E-Series MSRP is $1,199.99. Exactly what I want.

post #2119 of 2742 Old 07-04-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinss View Post
What settings are you guys using for the 50"?

I just got my update version V1.34.23-101.0000 and noticing some options that I didn't have before.
Same question about the settings.

Also, how do you know if you have the latest update?
post #2120 of 2742 Old 07-04-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Any news on the 50" panels input lag?
post #2121 of 2742 Old 07-05-2014, 12:23 PM

Hey, all!

I picked up the 32" / 1080P E series from Wal-Mart a few days ago. To be specific, it's the E320FI-B2. At first glance, it seemed like
a great little set, for there are A LOT of good things about it. However, after cycling through a number of PS3 and Wii U games, and
a few TV shows / movies on Blu-ray, i noticed both the left and right side of the panel are darker than it's center. Now, i'm aware of
screen uniformity potentially being an issue with LED / LCD screens, and seeing as my main TV is last year's Panasonic ST60 series, i
may just be "seeing things" or even "nitpicking".

Now, to explain it a little better...it looks like a straight, vertical line on the screen, about 6 inches in from the bezel, but there is no
actual "line" - it's just that the area between the bezel and said "line" is darker than the center of the panel, and this is the same for
both the left and the right side. It's easy to spot on some content, while it's a lot more difficult to see on other content. I have gone
through the picture presets, as well as my own adjustments - but unless i turn the backlight all the way down, i keep seeing the lines.
In fact, even with the backlight set to 0, it's faintly visible.

Again, i could just be nitpicking, but i'd like to make sure it's not a defective panel. I know little about these new LED / LCD TVs, so i
don't want to jump to any conclusions without attempting to either educate myself a little more, or coming here for some well informed
advice on the matter.

Last edited by W.Ritzen; 07-06-2014 at 12:18 PM.
post #2122 of 2742 Old 07-06-2014, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Can someone please try and help this newb out? My Panasonic Plasma kicked the bucket after 5 or so years and I was bummed to see they were exiting the plasma game, so after a lot of research and glowing reviews on CNet I bought the E550i-B2 from Best Buy.

Anyway, I like the TV a lot but I'm having issues with the picture despite trying numerous settings that have suggested in this thread. The sports is fine, but when I watching regular shows/movies I tend to have a lot of picture issues, specifically in people's faces. It's almost blurry and the color seems to be way too light. I tried numerous settings suggested but noticed "Standard" seemed to do the best, the issue got really bad when I tried some of the custom ones.

Anyone have any idea? I only have 10 more days to return it, I'm hesitant to try and switch it out for another E-series and have to do return it again, thinking about maybe trying the M552? I really don't want to return it as I had a 10% off coupon for the E-series that I can't use on another.

I tried to take pictures of the problem, link is below

http://imgur.com/jtUeumF

http://imgur.com/OtWqDFC

http://imgur.com/03Jb0PO

Any help would be appreciated
post #2123 of 2742 Old 07-06-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I did not expect them at all to sell a Vizio TV set, BUT HSN is even selling them...

http://www.hsn.com/shop/vizio/1325?r...ggested=False&

And even did an on air presentation of the TV set as well.
post #2124 of 2742 Old 07-06-2014, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sst2 View Post
Can someone please try and help this newb out? My Panasonic Plasma kicked the bucket after 5 or so years and I was bummed to see they were exiting the plasma game, so after a lot of research and glowing reviews on CNet I bought the E550i-B2 from Best Buy.

Anyway, I like the TV a lot but I'm having issues with the picture despite trying numerous settings that have suggested in this thread. The sports is fine, but when I watching regular shows/movies I tend to have a lot of picture issues, specifically in people's faces. It's almost blurry and the color seems to be way too light. I tried numerous settings suggested but noticed "Standard" seemed to do the best, the issue got really bad when I tried some of the custom ones.

Anyone have any idea? I only have 10 more days to return it, I'm hesitant to try and switch it out for another E-series and have to do return it again, thinking about maybe trying the M552? I really don't want to return it as I had a 10% off coupon for the E-series that I can't use on another.

Whats the firmware, also did you try a different video source and hdmi cable? maybe exchange it bad quality check
post #2125 of 2742 Old 07-06-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure if it's the camera or not, but it almost looks like there is a "filter" on those images. You may want to try a factory reset of the TV and start from scratch. Also, using other settings is not recommended as there is enough variation to throw your picture off and make it look horrible.

post #2126 of 2742 Old 07-06-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr308 View Post

Whats the firmware, also did you try a different video source and hdmi cable? maybe exchange it bad quality check
God...this is embarrassing...how do I update the firmware? I did control+F on the manual posted online and word firmware isn't mentioned once.

I don't think it's a DirecTV issue because I got a brand new box when I bought this TV (power surge nuked it and my old TV). I also bought a brand new HDMI cords for all devices to be safe.
post #2127 of 2742 Old 07-06-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Not sure if it's the camera or not, but it almost looks like there is a "filter" on those images. You may want to try a factory reset of the TV and start from scratch. Also, using other settings is not recommended as there is enough variation to throw your picture off and make it look horrible.

Are you referring to "Reset & Admin" under System Settings?
post #2128 of 2742 Old 07-07-2014, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Plasma in most cases will offer better black levels, better screen uniformity as well as better motion. You need to decide what fits your environment better The 5300 is a great TV, to really get the most out of it however, the 5300 should be calibrated either by a pro or with a meter and software.

You can also see the following thread:
Why I Bought a Plasma HDTV in 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightanole View Post
The funny thing is hes allready returned his first plasma set, his 2nd set is doing the same thing, he kicked out the repair tech, and he now owns a 2014 M series
Nightanole where did you read that he owns a 2014 M series? I have been following mark aka imagic threads and he doesn't own a M 2014 series, he owns a F8500 Samsung Plasma,Yes he own a Vizio but its not a 2014 series is a M3D550KD, that's a 2012 model, You should read his thread before you post an incorrect info.

Masking Your Edgelit LCD TV for Better Blacks

Vizio Demo: M Series vs. Samsung H7150

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos play:1 for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.

Last edited by losservatore; 07-07-2014 at 12:58 AM.
post #2129 of 2742 Old 07-07-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:

Turn off Active LED Zones. It causes faces to bloom. The blacks are good by default with the E series. Active LED Zones just causes picture problems, and the blacks really aren't that much different.

post #2130 of 2742 Old 07-07-2014, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Nightanole where did you read that he owns a 2014 M series? I have been following mark aka imagic threads and he doesn't own a M 2014 series, he owns a F8500 Samsung Plasma,Yes he own a Vizio but its not a 2014 series is a M3D550KD, that's a 2012 model, You should read his thread before you post an incorrect info.

Masking Your Edgelit LCD TV for Better Blacks

Vizio Demo: M Series vs. Samsung H7150
I cant keep up with his sets, at the time i posted, he: got a Samsung plasma, had red tint, returned it, got another with same thing, had tech look at it, had a 2014 M series at some point in the thread, returned the samsung plasma, got a 2014 E series, didnt like the backlight, returned that and got this:

Why I Bought a Plasma HDTV in 2014

" Quality does not matter to most of the Bose buying public." - Lasher
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E Series E401i A2 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Lit Internet Hdtv , vizio m series m602i-b3
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page