post #2731 of 2744 Old 09-19-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post
Burn in? That's the only plasma complaint you have? every single plasma i've owned has had dirty whites(Whites are pure white on the Vizio E), a dim picture(Vizio E can produce CRT-level brightness) and agressive ABL...Then you have IR, more screen glare(ect) Burn in out of these issues is the least of my worries. :P

i shall have my new 55" on the 27nth hehe. Turning off Active LED lights(to get rid of the weird banding/outline around characters/objects and the artificial-like wax face look) and adjusting the PQ to give the illusion that the gamma is closer to 2.2(ect) will be top priority. :P I hope the difference in blacks truley is only subtle between active led lights being off and on....

That aside, The Vizio E's main two issues will no doubt be viewing angles and weaker motion resolution Vs a plasma.

When calibrated (as most Tvs can be) they all have the same white, what you are referring to most likely is the luminance that makes the TV look "dim" and thus "dirty" to you. White is White and when calibrated would measure the same between sets the only difference being the luminance of said panel. Also most people that say PLasmas have "dirty" whites are used to a picture that pushes white too blue which makes you think its more pure when actually its not white you are looking at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 2744 Old 09-19-2014, 09:49 AM
SPJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
[QUOTE=WaveBoy;27543449]

i shall have my new 55" on the 27nth hehe. Turning off Active LED lights(to get rid of the weird banding/outline around characters/objects and the artificial-like wax face look) and adjusting the PQ to give the illusion that the gamma is closer to 2.2(ect) will be top priority. :P I hope the difference in blacks truley is only subtle between active led lights being off and on....

The blacks will suffer some. The biggest difference will be the native contrast ratio, which is the entire purpose of the local dimming feature in the first place. Without a good local dimming system, you won't get the benefit of a greater native contrast ratio.
post #2733 of 2744 Old 09-19-2014, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can an owner of an E-series tv help me out regarding using the USB media player.

I'm thinking of using this as a monitor for digital signage and wanted to know if the USB player can loop mp4 files? Or play a selection of files continuously?

Thanks,

Mark
post #2734 of 2744 Old 09-19-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrandt View Post
...I'm thinking of using this as a monitor for digital signage and wanted to know if the USB player can loop mp4 files? Or play a selection of files continuously?
No, in fact I don't see a way to do playlists either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2735 of 2744 Old 09-20-2014, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Schucks. Thanks.
post #2736 of 2744 Old 09-20-2014, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I bought a Vizio E420-B1 from Amazon (via a third party seller) that was dead on arrival (no power). I understand that These Things Happen, but I can't help feeling a little gun-shy now. Do I try again with this same model, or jump ship for a comparably-priced competitor? The only other serious competition at this (super-budget) price point seems to be from LG and Sharp, unless I'm missing an obvious alternative....
post #2737 of 2744 Old 09-20-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I get the feeling. Depending on what, if any, troubleshooting you tried... (along with if the item was new,used,rebuilt,previously opened,etc.) it might have been bad batteries,bad contacts, bad remote,stuck power button, bad power cord, loose power connector, etc.. Or the Delivery Service dropped it and broke it. Could really happen with anything you buy.

If the price is right and you like a particular model... go for it. Just maybe look into getting it from a different source/delivery service. Might get you a TV from a different batch and delivery person... might have better luck.
post #2738 of 2744 Old 09-20-2014, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanChan View Post
I bought a Vizio E420-B1 from Amazon (via a third party seller) that was dead on arrival (no power). I understand that These Things Happen, but I can't help feeling a little gun-shy now. Do I try again with this same model, or jump ship for a comparably-priced competitor? The only other serious competition at this (super-budget) price point seems to be from LG and Sharp, unless I'm missing an obvious alternative....
I think you are the first person that I remember anyway, that got the tv, and everything looked OK, but the tv was DOA. So, it's far from a common problem. I would personally give it another try. But if you are really worried, get it from a store you can return it to.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 16gb ram, 30tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
post #2739 of 2744 Old 09-20-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblast View Post
I think you are the first person that I remember anyway, that got the tv, and everything looked OK, but the tv was DOA. So, it's far from a common problem. I would personally give it another try. But if you are really worried, get it from a store you can return it to.
It's too bad there seems to be long long-term data on the longevity/reliability of HDTVs. The models and technologies get shuffled so constantly that I don't think anybody views them as a long-term investment. But for us poor folks, we have to have something that'll last a while. I still have a 13-year-old 27" Philips that's hanging in there, thankfully.
post #2740 of 2744 Old 09-20-2014, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
It's too bad there seems to be long long-term data on the longevity/reliability of HDTVs. The models and technologies get shuffled so constantly that I don't think anybody views them as a long-term investment. But for us poor folks, we have to have something that'll last a while. I still have a 13-year-old 27" Philips that's hanging in there, thankfully.

Yeah, I know what you mean, that's why I invested in the five year warranty. In the hopes that I'll have five years with my new TV. There's a good chance that the Oculus Rift will be coming out next year, and then my new TV, might be collecting dust from then on. Because VR is going to change the world, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 16gb ram, 30tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
post #2741 of 2744 Old Yesterday, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, i have a VIZIO E400i-B2 and i'm looking for some good ps 4 settings. I prefer cool temperature settings, I'm fairly happy with the default calibrated setting but I'd like to try an alternative that isn't so bright.
post #2742 of 2744 Old Yesterday, 05:17 AM

Quote:
E420-B1 cheaper at walmart today.
good luck

my Mitsubishi WD-62827 DLP 8+ years now,new Lamp and mirror & lens cleaning last year and she's like new again. sweet and she has over 33,000 hours now.the most important reading you might ever do.
post #2743 of 2744 Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmadworld View Post
E420-B1 cheaper at walmart today.
good luck
Thanks. I also see that the E420i-B0 is available in some places for not much more than this model. I don't really need a smart TV, since my Blu-Ray player can do the streaming stuff for me, but I wonder if it might be worth it to get the local dimming.....?
post #2744 of 2744 Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by smodak View Post
I am still not entirely happy.

Few main issues that I have now
1. 11 point WB settings are not sticking. Perhaps this is fixable by a firmware update.
2. Gamma looks out of whack making the pictures look a bit washed out
3. Main issue: The dark areas look blue. Anytime there is a blue in the scene it pops. People wearing dark suit looks navy. This is even more obvious off-axis. I might have to bite the bullet and fire up my calman with S3 to see if I can correct this. None of the posted calibrations correct this.
4. The pictures look on the cooler side and I am missing my XBR910 tube TV's calibrated warm picture. It seems to me that the TV is dominated with blues and sometime yellow-greens and the reds are virtually missing.
5. Since the firmware update, the blacks have become deeper but it would seem that the black details are lost.

This TV's color palette looks out whack to me.

Of course a full calibration might correct it but I am not sure I can achieve a good gamma without using the 11 point tuner.
The gamma does indeed look washed out. I won't have my 55" until the end of the month, but if i'm not satisfyed with the gamma by eye balling it & tinkering around with certain settings i'm going to look into getting a meter in order to get 2.2.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E Series E401i A2 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Lit Internet Hdtv , vizio m series m602i-b3
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page