Sony 4k year 2013 already outdated:: XBR65X900A - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-12-2014, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hopefully I'm not following this issue close enough but just learned that Sony (and others) have partnered up with Netflix to modify their "NEW" 2014 4k tvs with a decoder to decode Neftlix' 4k content soon to be transmitted via internet. Am I correct that my new tv is already outdated and won't be able to stream the 4k content from Netflix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-12-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
All of the 2013 4K TVs are early adopter experiments to some extent. This is part of what comes with technology on the bleeding edge rather than the cutting edge.

The only upgrade path any 4K TV owner really needs to care about as far as I'm concerned is HDMI 2.0, and your Sony will be firmware upgradeable for this standard.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-12-2014, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry I'm ignorant about this stuff. Can you clarify for us new bees? Are you saying that a firmware upgrade at some point might do the trick and permit us to download netflix 4k movies......
post #4 of 6 Old 01-13-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneo View Post

Hopefully I'm not following this issue close enough but just learned that Sony (and others) have partnered up with Netflix to modify their "NEW" 2014 4k tvs with a decoder to decode Neftlix' 4k content soon to be transmitted via internet. Am I correct that my new tv is already outdated and won't be able to stream the 4k content from Netflix?

They haven't received all the details yet but I doubt you need to worry long term about Netflix 4K. If the experiment works they will either update the firmware in the Roku units or new versions of the streaming boxes will have the 4K decoder options.

Your BIG problem is not Netflix, it's that the 2013 sets were all released pre-HDMI 2.0 which will become the standard for 4K transmission. I thought I read where Sony promised some kind of upgrade path for their 2013 4K set though so perhaps that will be available to you.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-13-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Netflix 4k is using h.265 as the codec.(otherwise known as HEVC). Most embedded systems need hardware support of a particular codec since they lack enough processing power to do the decoding in software. To my knowledge, hardware support of h.265 in SoC (system on chip) implementations is exceedingly recent.

So, it is unlikely that anything older is going to get 4k netflix support, firmware update or no. The device will lack the necessary hardware to do the decoding.

It all depends on the decoding chip in use in the TV. If it has h.265 support, it can be enabled through a firmware upgrade. If it does not, then not much is going to be able to be done to get it to decode h.265.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

You'll be able to buy an external media player with HEVC decoding for Netflix and other services. You can relax.

Agreed... except most likely only with an upgraded model.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page