Vizio M651d-A2R Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2014, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
There a number of threads dedicated to specific Vizio models, but could not find one for the 65' M651d-A2R so I thought as a new owner of said television it deserved its own thread...

Just exchanged my 60' E601-A3 for the 65' M651d-A2R and I am truly impressed at the picture quality.

Hoping folks would be so kind as to share their calibration settings?

Thanks all and look forward to reading all of my fellow Vizio M651d-A2R owners sharing and exchanging questions, comments, news, updates, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Just brought home this unit and set it up.  Have not even tweaked settings yet except to set video mode to Cinema Dark.

First reaction: very pronounced brighter splotches on a black screen.  Does not appear to have a visible effect on the picture quality for a regular movie or tv show though.  (Again, have only watched a few minutes of a smattering of shows)

I have a Blu Ray calibration disk that I will use to set it up more carefully, then I will come back here and share what I found.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf57 View Post

Just brought home this unit and set it up.  Have not even tweaked settings yet except to set video mode to Cinema Dark.

First reaction: very pronounced brighter splotches on a black screen.  Does not appear to have a visible effect on the picture quality for a regular movie or tv show though.  (Again, have only watched a few minutes of a smattering of shows)

I have a Blu Ray calibration disk that I will use to set it up more carefully, then I will come back here and share what I found.

Splotches are fairly common with edge-lit technology. I also see some minor splotches when I have a black screen BUT I find the picture to be truly impressive otherwise.

Look forward to seeing what settings the calibration disc provides. I have been tweaking the set since I brought my tv home 5 days ago and have come upon what I think is perfect (for now):

Picture Mode: Vivid
Backlight: 62
Brightness: 40
Contrast: 80
Color: 60
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 50

Color Temperature: Normal
Red Gain: 508
Green Gain: 512
Blue Gain: 529
Red Offset: 511
Green Offset: 512
Blue Offset: 511

Auto Brightness Control: Off
Black Detail: Off
Smart Dimming: Off
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off
Film Mode: Auto
Old 01-23-2014, 08:00 PM

Liked: 12
I was dead set on getting a 65" Samsung and I happened to see this Vizio in Sam's. I tend to scan the screens to see what catches my eye and then look at the brand. I was blown away at the picture quality.

I was going to drop $3000 on the Sammy but the picture quality of this panel combined with all of the features and $1600 price is making me seriously reconsider.

I can't believe a TV of this quality, features and price didn't have it's own thread here already. Guess there's just too many brand snobs.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerscrossed View Post

I was dead set on getting a 65" Samsung and I happened to see this Vizio in Sam's. I tend to scan the screens to see what catches my eye and then look at the brand. I was blown away at the picture quality.

I was going to drop $3000 on the Sammy but the picture quality of this panel combined with all of the features and $1600 price is making me seriously reconsider.

I can't believe a TV of this quality, features and price didn't have it's own thread here already. Guess there's just too many brand snobs.

If you already like what you see, keep in mind they don't calibrate the picture. They set the picture to "store demo", which is not even close to what you will see once you get it home and adjust it accordingly.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:15 AM

Official owner now.

They have it at Sam's Club for $1648 but I wanted to use my American Express card for the extended warranty protection so I went to Best Buy and they price matched the $1648 Sam's price plus got 6% Best Buy rewards, whatever that is.
Technoman_40 likes this.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Congratulations, I would be curious to know what you think of the picture once you set it up and calibrate it.

The Best Buy rewards program earns you 1 point for every $1 spent. You get $5 for every $250 that can be used toward future Best Buy purchases.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Not the best pic I ever took, but thought I would share what my M65 looks like in its new home...
Technoman_40 and HAPPIOUR like this.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:47 PM

I like the smooth motion effect but does anyone know how to cut down the skipping and glitchy frame rate it produces
Old 03-20-2014, 05:57 PM

anyone know if there is any difference in the one costco is selling?? their model number is missing the R M651D-A2.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline377 View Post

anyone know if there is any difference in the one costco is selling?? their model number is missing the R M651D-A2.

It means it only is going to come with 4 3D glasses. I got mine at costco and I was surprised it came with 8 glasses and firmware 1.25. By the way when you get this firmware you will have to recalibrate, because you will get pro calibration which cancels out your gains and offsets. This tv is great for blu-ray and games, but hd cable does not look as good as it did on my Samsung. I got it looking ok for now. Looks like I will have to get someone to calibrate the tv for me since I do not have the right tools or idea how to do it lol

I wish they had more settings to change 3D. To me my friends Samsung active 3D seemed to jump out at you more. This vizio seems to give the picture just more depth then in your face picture.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:48 PM

Liked: 30
I'm thinking of purchasing this tv this weekend, I'm not sure if I should are not? I was thinking of going the 4k route instead, but Im of holding off for a year are two. So they can get all there ducks in a line. Would yall recommend this tv?
Old 05-05-2014, 12:14 PM

Quick update.

We really enjoy the TV but as known, the remote sucks and having to be so precise with the direction and angle of pointing is ridiculous.

The picture is beautiful. I don't have anything to compare the apps to so it's hard to know if they are good or bad relative to other TV's. The response from the remote to using the apps isn't great but they're usable.

It could be my cable provider but the sound synchronization seems a little off sometimes.

If money wasn't an object I would have gone with a Samsung but for the money I saved and the size and picture quality I'm getting with this Vizio for the money, it's a trade I'm willing to make. The picture is huge and quality is awesome.
Technoman_40 likes this.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:18 PM

I went to Best Buy convinced that I would do nothing less than a Sammy 55" 3D. My wife and I were looking at the units, and saw this one on an upper display shelf. We asked if we could see a 3D signal on the T.V, and the store employee that was with us tried to change it to 3D without changing the signal. I sat there and told him that it wouldn't work. We were not able to see the 3D in the store on this unit, but the picture was pretty good. I checked online and saw what another person posted above with the price at Sams. I asked about matching that price and they said they would. Bought the television, took it home and had it installed (replaced my older 52" Samsung LCD) in about 30 minutes. The picture quality of this set is amazing. The remote does leave you a little lacking, but it does work much better if you go through the automated setup and let the television "discover" the TV.

The fun began when we tried to view something in 3D. I had my old set connected from my Verizon Fios box to a Google Play (Logitech) box, and then to the television. When I attempted to play a 3D signal from the Verizon box, the television would only display the picture in about 45% of the screen centered. It was playing it 3D, just not full screen. We tried a 3D signal from Netflix, and it played full screen and looked fabulous.

After much searching, I thought I would remove the Google Play Logitech box since this was a smart TV and had most of that available. Needless to say, that corrected the issue and now I have a great looking 3D display from any and all devices.

I am still looking for the optimal settings, so if anyone has a professional calibration CD and runs it let me know your settings please.

I am very pleased with this set!
Old 05-05-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:

Quick update.

We really enjoy the TV but as known, the remote sucks and having to be so precise with the direction and angle of pointing is ridiculous.

The picture is beautiful. I don't have anything to compare the apps to so it's hard to know if they are good or bad relative to other TV's. The response from the remote to using the apps isn't great but they're usable.

It could be my cable provider but the sound synchronization seems a little off sometimes.

If money wasn't an object I would have gone with a Samsung but for the money I saved and the size and picture quality I'm getting with this Vizio for the money, it's a trade I'm willing to make. The picture is huge and quality is awesome.

Did you let the television "discover" your remote in the automated setup? It takes a while for it to complete, but it does make the remote work much better.

The remote is a WIFI based remote and should not require you to point it at the television to use it.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:56 PM

I did the setup but don't know if I did that or not.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try it again and see if it helps.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:42 PM

I just checked the menu again and don't see anywhere that I can do a setup. There is the option for tuner set up and network setup but neither one have anything to do with the remote.

any idea where I might find the option to make the remote work as it should. as of right now I have to point it precisely at the bottom left hand corner of the TV to get it to work.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I didn't see you mention your firmware version. If you're pre 1.09 the wifi remote is not functional.Otherwise I think it's under devices. Not in front of my TV at the moment. Tells you in the built in manual too.
Quote:

I just checked the menu again and don't see anywhere that I can do a setup. There is the option for tuner set up and network setup but neither one have anything to do with the remote.

any idea where I might find the option to make the remote work as it should. as of right now I have to point it precisely at the bottom left hand corner of the TV to get it to work.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

I didn't see you mention your firmware version. If you're pre 1.09 the wifi remote is not functional.Otherwise I think it's under devices. Not in front of my TV at the moment. Tells you in the built in manual too.

Once discovered it shows under devices. You can also add more remotes there. My firmware version reports 1.25.24.0234_125!
Old 05-07-2014, 03:42 AM

Liked: 30
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/2400#post_23509574
These are some of the settings you can try. Make sure to use the ones labeled for the 65".
Old 06-06-2014, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

I have had my set since January with less than 100 hours viewing hours. I just turned the set on and I am now seeing ghosting. I never had any issues like this before. Can anyone provide any assistance as to why this suddenly started or what can be done to resolve this issue?

Thank you
Old 06-07-2014, 01:30 AM
Advanced Member

You didn't accidentally put it into 3d mode did you???
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr852 View Post

I have had my set since January with less than 100 hours viewing hours. I just turned the set on and I am now seeing ghosting. I never had any issues like this before. Can anyone provide any assistance as to why this suddenly started or what can be done to resolve this issue?

Thank you
Old 06-07-2014, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

You didn't accidentally put it into 3d mode did you???

No, this is similar to what you would see on a plasma after years of use. It's temporary in most areas (lasting only a few seconds) but in some areas it is not going away.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:16 PM

Has ANYONE got the firmware update for this TV yet? The advertised wireless remote is NEEDED because otherwise the remote sucks. That's about the only problem I'm having with this TV. The Vizio tech support said it might take months (bought the TV in March 2014 and it's already June) back in April . . . .
Old 06-25-2014, 03:31 PM

Liked: 0
I got the new update but what's the release notes on what the update does
Old 06-25-2014, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

What version did you receive???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boybert00 View Post
I got the new update but what's the release notes on what the update does
Old 06-26-2014, 08:40 AM

It's amazing how much of a negative impact a ****** remote can have.

The picture is gorgeous and I love it but the remote sucks so bad that it really negatively impacts the use of the TV.

Looking back I would definitely spend the additional money on the Sammy just to have a remote that works properly and a better app experience.

Last edited by fingerscrossed; 06-26-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerscrossed View Post
It's amazing how much of a negative impact a ****** remote can have.

The picture is gorgeous and I love it but the remote sucks so bad that it really negatively impacts the use of the TV.

Looking back I would definitely spend the additional money on the Sammy just to have a remote that works properly and a better app experience.
Once I got the firmware update (Last Night) my remote ROCKS. It is now a universal remote. Controls my soundbar, blueray player, cable box etc. So far it has worked really well - especially since I don't have to AIM it at the TV any longer.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:36 PM

Liked: 0
How do I get a firmware update that would make my remote universal? Thanks.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:49 AM

Somewhere in the menu area there is a place where you can have your TV run a sort of diagnostic. Make sure you are setup on your wifi network. Run the diagnostic and I think that will force it to upgrade your system if it's not current.

Tags
Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv