Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1122 Old 06-17-2014, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by young_makaveli View Post
Also I have my ps4 plugged on hdmi 1/mhl ... is that a good place to put it cause all the others are only hdmi 2 hdmi 3 etc.

They don't have mhl after ...is it ok for my ps4 and tv if I stay plugged on that ?

Sorry I'm really not good with technology

Thanks again
Bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1122 Old 06-17-2014, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike86325 View Post
For those of you who have yours on the stand, what are you doing for a soundbar? It looks like nothing will fit in front of the screen without blocking it. I feel like the only option is to find some sort of short box to boost up the TV higher

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
The Sony soundbar's have IR passthrough, so it's not a concern.
post #453 of 1122 Old 06-17-2014, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone know if Motionflow 800Hz and Motionflow XR 480 are the same?
post #454 of 1122 Old 06-17-2014, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by preludejtstyle View Post
The Sony soundbar's have IR passthrough, so it's not a concern.
I have the 50W800B and the Sony HT-CT770 soundbar and I find I have to hold the TV remote at a higher level for it to register as the soundbar blocks a lot of the inputs, at least from the angle I'm sitting at. It's not that big of a deal, because I usually don't have to use the TV remote that much after selecting the scene mode I want (switch between Cinema and Game), but it is something I need to be aware of.
post #455 of 1122 Old 06-17-2014, 10:04 PM

Does anyone know if the 55W800B uses the same VESA adapter as the 50W800B?
post #456 of 1122 Old 06-17-2014, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Cnet review is up for the 50w800b.

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-kdl-50w800b/
post #457 of 1122 Old 06-18-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hey guys. I was looking for owners of the Sony KDL70W850B. I was wondering if the tv is a good set? Are there any problems with them? blooming, flashlighting, artifacts, picture quality etc...?

I will be playing my PS4 and Xbox ONE on it, and mostly watching bluray and DVDS. This is all this set will be used for because that is basically what the room is for. Tried searching online for reviews which I found a couple including Cnets, but was mainly wondering if the tv exhibits and problems with dark scenes, bright lit rooms, dark lit rooms etc..

I also know this is the direct replacement for the 550A which had its problems.

thanks in advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #458 of 1122 Old 06-18-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post
Hey guys. I was looking for owners of the Sony KDL70W850B. I was wondering if the tv is a good set? Are there any problems with them? blooming, flashlighting, artifacts, picture quality etc...?

I will be playing my PS4 and Xbox ONE on it, and mostly watching bluray and DVDS. This is all this set will be used for because that is basically what the room is for. Tried searching online for reviews which I found a couple including Cnets, but was mainly wondering if the tv exhibits and problems with dark scenes, bright lit rooms, dark lit rooms etc..

I also know this is the direct replacement for the 550A which had its problems.

thanks in advance
I ordered one on Sunday and will post a review when I receive it in the next 2 weeks. For PQ comparisons my other devices are a 2011 50" Panasonic ST30 plasma and a JVC DLA-RS4810.
post #459 of 1122 Old 06-18-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post
I ordered one on Sunday and will post a review when I receive it in the next 2 weeks. For PQ comparisons my other devices are a 2011 50" Panasonic ST30 plasma and a JVC DLA-RS4810.
thanks bud.

Will you be playing games on it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #460 of 1122 Old 06-18-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaddy View Post
Hello. I just purchased a w800b today and it looked good until I noticed that on a dark black screen there are two small lighter cloudy spots barely visible, one on either side of the Sony logo right at the bottom of the screen. They aren't noticeable on lighter colored backgrounds. I was wondering if this is to be expected, or did I get a defective TV? Can anyone help me out? Thanks!
I bought the 50" w800b back in april which had a similar issue. Two diagonal oval shape bright spots on each side of the sony logo at the bottom center. I posted some images of it on AVForums:

http://www.avforums.com/threads/sony...#post-20641819

That thread was meant for the european model of the w800b which is the w829b, but they both appear to have the same issue. Other owners on that thread mention seeing the same issue too, so it may be an issue with the design.

I did end up returning the TV due to this issue and a couple other things. What's the build date of your TV, the sticker on the back should mention it. The one I got back in April was oddly a January 2014 build. I was actually hoping this was no longer an issue with the newer builds, since these past few month researching other TVs for gaming and movies just leads me back to this one.
post #461 of 1122 Old 06-18-2014, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eanimezero View Post
I bought the 50" w800b back in april which had a similar issue. Two diagonal oval shape bright spots on each side of the sony logo at the bottom center. I posted some images of it on AVForums:

http://www.avforums.com/threads/sony...#post-20641819

That thread was meant for the european model of the w800b which is the w829b, but they both appear to have the same issue. Other owners on that thread mention seeing the same issue too, so it may be an issue with the design.

I did end up returning the TV due to this issue and a couple other things. What's the build date of your TV, the sticker on the back should mention it. The one I got back in April was oddly a January 2014 build. I was actually hoping this was no longer an issue with the newer builds, since these past few month researching other TVs for gaming and movies just leads me back to this one.
My spots look exactly like the ones in your photo. The date on the back is February 2014. Do you think you'd buy it again if the two clouds were the only thing wrong with it?

I read this article and it eased my mind a little bit, as it seems every TV has this to some degree and mine isn't as bad as some. One review had this same issue and still gave screen uniformity a 8/10.

I'm very pleased with this TV otherwise, I spent an hour calibrating it yesterday and it looks amazing. I feel like trying to exchange it could result in worse uniformity or other issues such as dead pixels. I don't think I can find another model of TV of this quality for the price range so I really want to keep it.

Last edited by Deaddy; 06-18-2014 at 11:18 AM.
post #462 of 1122 Old 06-18-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
thanks bud.

Will you be playing games on it?
I have a PS3 I could test with but what I'm looking for? I'm not skilled enough to comment input lag or whatever
post #463 of 1122 Old 06-18-2014, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Just curious: I understand that the KDL-50W800b does not have a standard VESA mounting pattern and seems to need an adapter to accommodate such, but does anyone know if the KDL-55W800b can be mounted to a standard VESA mount?

Thanks!
post #464 of 1122 Old 06-18-2014, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gaming TV Sony KDL-50W800B or Sony KDL-47W802A

Which of these TV would be better for gaming? I will be mostly using it for Xbox, sports and local show. Not much for movies, some Netflix. The Sony KDL-50W800B will be an open box for about $845 and the Sony KDL-47W802A is a display model for $850. I am also posting this on the W802A thread. Thank you for your help.
post #465 of 1122 Old 06-18-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong7R View Post
Which of these TV would be better for gaming? I will be mostly using it for Xbox, sports and local show. Not much for movies, some Netflix. The Sony KDL-50W800B will be an open box for about $845 and the Sony KDL-47W802A is a display model for $850. I am also posting this on the W802A thread. Thank you for your help.
2014 50"SonyKDL-50W800B 1080p 120hz3D 22ms Great
2013 47"Sony KDL-47W802A 1080p 120hz 3D L 17ms Great
http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Last edited by nezff; 06-18-2014 at 05:05 PM.
post #466 of 1122 Old 06-18-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Need to know a nice wall mount for this set also. thanks.

post #467 of 1122 Old 06-19-2014, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
My spots look exactly like the ones in your photo. The date on the back is February 2014. Do you think you'd buy it again if the two clouds were the only thing wrong with it?

I read this article and it eased my mind a little bit, as it seems every TV has this to some degree and mine isn't as bad as some. One review had this same issue and still gave screen uniformity a 8/10.

I'm very pleased with this TV otherwise, I spent an hour calibrating it yesterday and it looks amazing. I feel like trying to exchange it could result in worse uniformity or other issues such as dead pixels. I don't think I can find another model of TV of this quality for the price range so I really want to keep it.
It's hard to say if I will buy it again. I would really prefer that those spots not be there since I do a lot of night time viewing. I understand that clouding is an issue with most TV, but the fact that these are consistantly in the middle of the screen can be a bit distracting. If they were off to the sides, I probably wouldn't mind it much.

I may end up holding off for another month or two and see if I can get a later batch with the chance that this issue may of been fixed. So unless your willing to wait a bit, I would't exchange it, since you'll probably get another one from the same store batch with the same issue.
post #468 of 1122 Old 06-19-2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanimezero View Post
It's hard to say if I will buy it again. I would really prefer that those spots not be there since I do a lot of night time viewing. I understand that clouding is an issue with most TV, but the fact that these are consistantly in the middle of the screen can be a bit distracting. If they were off to the sides, I probably wouldn't mind it much.

I may end up holding off for another month or two and see if I can get a later batch with the chance that this issue may of been fixed. So unless your willing to wait a bit, I would't exchange it, since you'll probably get another one from the same store batch with same the issue.
I only really seem to notice it when I'm looking for it. Under some conditions I don't really even see it when I look there. They blend into reflections from the room if I have a light on. I'm keeping the TV. If clouding wasn't a known/common issue with all LED TVs then I would be more concerned. I just have to accept it. Thanks for your input.

Extremely satisfied with the 50w800b otherwise. I used the AVS HD 709 disc to calibrate and it looks absolutely perfect!
post #469 of 1122 Old 06-19-2014, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just bought and returned a 39LN5300, which was a 2013 LG model with AMVA. I could not stand the gamma shift and sitting at around three feet away (as a PC monitor), I could see the shift and the loss of contrast and brightened colors taking up the left and right quarter screens to the edge, basically half the image. Another killer was I like to stand up and stretch every hour and use the PC while standing up, staring down at the TV. At this angle, a ton of detail is lost and its basically a TN panel. Another problem is the coating on the screen, which I could see my reflection very easily on dark images. I am currently using an old 32" Panasonic with IPS that doesn't have the deepest blacks or contrast, but is light years ahead of the LG in everything else.

I got excited when I saw the 40" W600, it's relatively cheap cost, and the fact that it was Sony, which I've heard nothing but good things about. But I am hearing that it has an SPVA panel by Samsung? Or maybe the same sort of AMVA tech by AUO that was in the LG I returned? People in the LG thread also said that model had an amazing screen as well and IPS-like viewing angles. I beg to differ. Many are saying the same thing for the 40" W600. How different is the 40" W600 in comparison to the 39LN5300? Ideally I would want an IPS screen, but it's hard to find or figure out which TVs in the 32-40" range have them, since they all seem to be some type of VA or another. If the VA tech in the 40" W600 is significantly different and/or better than the 39LN5300, that is what I am hoping for, since I do like the balck levels and contrast of the tech, but so far my only experience with it has been really bad viewing angles.
post #470 of 1122 Old 06-19-2014, 08:39 AM

anyone know if Motionflow 800Hz and Motionflow XR 480 are the same? Are they just the difference in pal and ntsc region but the same thing? I need to know this before I get the TV, got to make sure its the same as the w829 which got a lot of praise.
post #471 of 1122 Old 06-19-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Does any of the owners have the 70 inch 850b? If so, does this tv have any problems with dark scenes etc..?

post #472 of 1122 Old 06-19-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike86325 View Post
For those of you who have yours on the stand, what are you doing for a soundbar? It looks like nothing will fit in front of the screen without blocking it. I feel like the only option is to find some sort of short box to boost up the TV higher

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
I just picked up the Sony HT-CT60BT 2.1 Sound bar and sub yesterday fits nicely in the front and doesn't block the screen. Also has a unique contemporary look to it too. The sound bar remote can also control the TV. I just programmed everything to work with my universal remote provided by the cable company.

Epson HC 2000 Projector & 120" screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619
PS4 GT: Ringo619

Last edited by BDUB619; 08-06-2014 at 02:50 PM.
post #473 of 1122 Old 06-19-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I only really seem to notice it when I'm looking for it. Under some conditions I don't really even see it when I look there. They blend into reflections from the room if I have a light on. I'm keeping the TV. If clouding wasn't a known/common issue with all LED TVs then I would be more concerned. I just have to accept it. Thanks for your input.

Extremely satisfied with the 50w800b otherwise. I used the AVS HD 709 disc to calibrate and it looks absolutely perfect!
I have a clouding issue on mine as well. It actually is in the lower left corner and not horrible but on an all black scene it is noticeable. I actually picked up another unit and put it beside mine and it actually had the same issue yours had with the two ovals in the middle. I returned that one and kept my original. I watch usually in a dark setting and keep the backlight at 3. It helps hide it but it is still there. Probably going to keep the set regardless and just get over it. I don’t want to play the exchange game until I find a so called "perfect" unit. Probably just me being picky as all LCD's have a degree of this problem.

Out of curiosity, what scene mode and picture settings are you currently using?

Thank you.
post #474 of 1122 Old 06-19-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckymakers View Post
I have a clouding issue on mine as well. It actually is in the lower left corner and not horrible but on an all black scene it is noticeable. I actually picked up another unit and put it beside mine and it actually had the same issue yours had with the two ovals in the middle. I returned that one and kept my original. I watch usually in a dark setting and keep the backlight at 3. It helps hide it but it is still there. Probably going to keep the set regardless and just get over it. I don’t want to play the exchange game until I find a so called "perfect" unit. Probably just me being picky as all LCD's have a degree of this problem.

Thank you.
I'm uncertain about my backlight setting, I picked 5 just cause it seemed good, but I'm thinking about trying 4... so these settings are based on a backlight level of 5:

Scene: Cinema
Picture Mode: Cinema 1
Backlight 5
Picture 96 (Max might have been ok but I wanted to be cautious)
Brightness 51
Color 54
Hue 0 (I left this alone)
Temp: Warm 2 (I left this alone due to it being default and based on a professional review I read)
Sharp 50 (I calibrated this but I'm not 100% sure on it, going to check the test pattern again)
All of the reduction filters and things like that: OFF
Motionflow: TrueCinema (for 1080p blu-rays)
Advanced Menu: Everything off, Gamma -2 just because that was the default setting
White Balance: Left this alone, all 0

Last edited by Deaddy; 06-19-2014 at 12:39 PM.
post #475 of 1122 Old 06-19-2014, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Does any of the owners have the 70 inch 850b? If so, does this tv have any problems with dark scenes etc..?
I've had mine for a week and very impressed. Black levels are very deep even in a well lit room and so far no problems with blobs, flashlighting, etc. I also use this for gaming and extremely impressed with the colors, no motion blur and low lag (~24ms).

Epson HC 2000 Projector & 120" screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619
PS4 GT: Ringo619
post #476 of 1122 Old 06-19-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckymakers View Post

Thank you.

can you post pics?

thanks

post #477 of 1122 Old 06-19-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
can you post pics?

thanks
Sure, I will grab some tonight and post.
post #478 of 1122 Old 06-19-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaroo View Post
anyone know if Motionflow 800Hz and Motionflow XR 480 are the same? Are they just the difference in pal and ntsc region but the same thing? I need to know this before I get the TV, got to make sure its the same as the w829 which got a lot of praise.
Im pretty sure they are, and the difference is explained by:

1. the fact that US is based on 60Hz and the UK is 50Hz

2. Motion Flow 800hz and Motion flow XR 480 are not comparing apples to apples. The XR number is some proprietary calculation done by Sony.
post #479 of 1122 Old 06-19-2014, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sony W630b?

I'm a loooong time reader of AVS Forum and a first time poster. Have made my last 2 TV and audio purchases based on info found here. I'm in the market for another TV and came across the W630b. Anybody know anything about it? I can't find any real reviews or anything and was curious about the picture, black level, etc. Can't really tell anything from what they have set up in the store. Hope this was an okay place to ask this. If not, someone please point me in the right direction...
post #480 of 1122 Old 06-19-2014, 03:52 PM

so is w800b native 120 hz like I can use it as a 120Hz mon with pc hooked up?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 55w900a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page