Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post
can you post pics?

thanks
Hopefully these photos show up. Now I tried taking at different angles. Depending on what was focused on the cameras white balance adjusted. There is some minor clouding throughout the panel but the main sport is in the bottom left corner. Again, I can live with it but it is noticeable on darks scenes or cropped widescreen movies. Also, my backlight is set to max during these photos. I normally run it at 3, which helps hide it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	127514  

Last edited by kentuckymakers; 06-19-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 1125 Old 06-19-2014, 08:25 PM

Here is another
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	89
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	127522  
post #483 of 1125 Old 06-19-2014, 08:26 PM

And another, this one makes it look very nominal but it is there.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	86
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	127530  
post #484 of 1125 Old 06-19-2014, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My spots are more focused, I think they're smaller than the one shown in those pics.
post #485 of 1125 Old 06-20-2014, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thanks bud. I can see them but barely. Not sure how noticeable in person.
post #486 of 1125 Old 06-20-2014, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckymakers View Post
Hopefully these photos show up. Now I tried taking at different angles. Depending on what was focused on the cameras white balance adjusted. There is some minor clouding throughout the panel but the main sport is in the bottom left corner. Again, I can live with it but it is noticeable on darks scenes or cropped widescreen movies. Also, my backlight is set to max during these photos. I normally run it at 3, which helps hide it.
I'm not sure if that's clouding? Just looks like the result of the backlight being set to MAX.

Epson HC 2000 Projector & 120" screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619
PS4 GT: Ringo619
post #487 of 1125 Old 06-20-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB619 View Post
I'm not sure if that's clouding? Just looks like the result of the backlight being set to MAX.
I agree it's not a deal breaker and I'm probably being to strict , however it's hard to capture on camera exactly. You can notice it in person (even on a backlight set to 3) but again, if you want a perfect screen you have to make compromises and possibly go the plasma route. I love the tv otherwise and I am going to keep it. Still trying to find the best settings. I find the cinema settings a little too washed out color wise as I prefer a bit more pop to the color. The vivid setting is overkill though. Anyone found settings they really prefer?
post #488 of 1125 Old 06-20-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckymakers View Post
I agree it's not a deal breaker and I'm probably being to strict , however it's hard to capture on camera exactly. You can notice it in person (even on a backlight set to 3) but again, if you want a perfect screen you have to make compromises and possibly go the plasma route. I love the tv otherwise and I am going to keep it. Still trying to find the best settings. I find the cinema settings a little too washed out color wise as I prefer a bit more pop to the color. The vivid setting is overkill though. Anyone found settings they really prefer?
Well the settings I posted yesterday look perfect on my Lost blu-ray, not washed out, but on some TV shows recorded on my DVR and Orange is the New Black on Netflix the same settings did look a little washed out. For Orange I just turned on the color boost feature in the Advanced Settings and that improved it. Made the colors pop a bit without ruining the image. On the DVR shows I left the settings alone cause on other shows it looked fine.
post #489 of 1125 Old 06-22-2014, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaroo View Post
so is w800b native 120 hz like I can use it as a 120Hz mon with pc hooked up?
Unfortunately no.

While the panel is capable of displaying 120 frames per second, non of the TV's out there actually accept 120Hz input. HDMI before version 2.0 can't handle 120Hz, and even 2.0 having enough data throughput to do it doesn't freaking support it.

So, unless you get a TV with DisplayPort (and there's not a single one of those as manufacturers stick their heads in the sand and keep including D-SUB as "PC Input" instead) you're pretty much stuck to 60Hz signal.

There are rumours that the upcoming Vizio R series will accept 120Hz input, and if that's the case I hope other brands will follow, but I'll have to see it to believe it.
post #490 of 1125 Old 06-23-2014, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Quote:
The key features that beat the W805 are the W829 has motionflow of 800Hz and Active 3D. W829 is also a flagship model, promoted by the world cup 2014.
Quote:
Go for the w829, the 805 uses a LG IPS panel which are shockingly bad for DSE and banding the 829 uses a VA panel and the reviews have already praised the tv for such an even screen
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?p=26146834

Here in Holland we have the 805b and the 828b/829b (these last two being the EU versions of the US 800b), but the problem is the 828/829 are so hard to find here. The 805b is for sale almost everywhere though, but I rather want the 828/829 because of active 3D and 800hz motionflow.
post #491 of 1125 Old 06-23-2014, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quick question:

Does the w800b's optical out support full 5.1 or is it stereo when the source comes though an input? So if I have my cable hooked into an HDMI port, will the optical still allow 5.1? I know some TVs do and some don't.

Looking to buy a surround sound today

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
post #492 of 1125 Old 06-23-2014, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm looking at the 40 inch W600B for gaming and movie viewing. I'm coming from an old 32XBr9 that has pretty low input lag (~30ms) and excellent Bravia Engine 2 image processing at 120Hz to eliminate movie judder in panning scenes, a great compliment to the great screen uniformity and deep blacks (which I love).

On paper, the W600B looks awesome with great black levels, excellent uniformity, etc, except for the 60hz, no image processing capabilities. The W600 pages on sony's and amazon's websites say it has motionflow 240, but with only a 60Hz panel it sounds like it won't fix judder and it won't add a tasteful amount of smoothing to 24p content when watching Blu Rays.

The input lag on the W600B looks great at 29ms, but I'm waffling between this and the Samsung UN40H6350, which has an input lag of 42 ms when set to PC (the low end of the "okay" category on display lag.com), but I'm worried about the black levels and screen uniformity as samsungs seem to be a crap shoot in that way.

I've also got my eye on the Vizio E series 40 incher that is getting rave reviews this year, but that's also 60 hz, and I'm a little scared about going vizio after loving sony for so long.

Did I screw myself over by waiting too many years to get a 40 inch 120hz panel? All the 40's except samsung are basically 60 Hz now with a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo claiming clear motion rates and other BS.

Thanks for any advice, everyone. I get lost in the TV details every once in a while. I call it "analysis paralysis".
post #493 of 1125 Old 06-23-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
That all sounds like a great reason to get a bigger tv
post #494 of 1125 Old 06-24-2014, 08:48 AM

I have two problems with my 60W850b

First, on any USB flash, the Arabic subtitles will be shown in weird characters...
Second, When using Serviio for streaming It seems that some videos will play normally but a lot of them will not play and the TV shows ( Playback not available ) message...

Is there's special requirements for the codecs ? or did I miss any thing ?
post #495 of 1125 Old 06-25-2014, 09:52 PM

Liked: 0
What is the best display settings for a 48w600b for gaming and movies ?

Also does anyone know if this is a direct lit or edge lit led ?

I've checked on a few sites and I keep getting different results ..Some sites say direct and other edge lit

Can anyone here confirm which one it is ?

Thanks guys

Last edited by young_makaveli; 06-26-2014 at 12:02 AM.
post #496 of 1125 Old 06-27-2014, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I recently bought a 48W600B, replacing a Panasonic plasma 42UT50D, which failed in less than two years. While I found the colours in the Pana spot on, in this Sony I find the colours over saturated, more so the reds, greens and blues. If I turn down the colour setting, mid tones become dull, mainly skin tones becomes dull. I have played with various settings like hue, colour temperature, etc but have not got satisfactory result. I have not touched white balance because I am not sure about it.

How do I find the perfect balance?
post #497 of 1125 Old 06-28-2014, 05:07 PM

Liked: 1
Fun fact: the service menu on the 48 W600B can be accessed by pressing: (power off) DISPLAY, 5, VOLUME UP, POWER(on).

Here is what it looks like:
post #498 of 1125 Old 06-28-2014, 11:46 PM

Liked: 12
Internet video settings?

I've noticed that when I go to watch any internet videos (Amazon Instant Video, etc.) that my W800B television doesn't use the picture settings that I have set up for it. Instead, it goes into another picture mode called Internet Video which, while allowing you to change some settings, doesn't look to be as detailed as the ones I set up for myself earlier. So far, I haven't found a way to change it to allow me to use my own picture settings, so instead I've been watching all my streaming media through my blu ray player, which allows me to keep my own settings. While this isn't a big deal, the interface in general appears to be just a tad quicker on the TV, so I'd like to have the option to use the set if I'm able.

So does anyone know if it's possible to watch streaming media while keeping your own picture settings, or would I have to go through and customize the internet video settings?
post #499 of 1125 Old 06-29-2014, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
To use your own settings for internet video you need to do following. Go to regular TV channel(any will do) select your custom settings but select them to apply to all content and not only to this source/input(it is under the first page of picture settings). Sony TVs have many modes so just select one like "standard" put your settings and change it to apply to all sources.
tubetwister and 2Georges like this.
post #500 of 1125 Old 06-29-2014, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 362
bpmoore

[quote]Fun fact: the service menu on the 48 W600B can be accessed by pressing: (power off) DISPLAY, 5, VOLUME UP, POWER(on).

re tubetwister
Cool ....Samsung VA panel like my Sony ,nothing at panelook on this panel (or cell ) yet . I believe it's a 60Hz panel though . First 3 letters of panel # are mfg code LSY is definitely Samsung without a doubt ....decent panels.

No CMS for calibration in the serv menu maybe thats a good thing you can't get into to much trouble in there that way but anyway don't change ANYTHING in the service menu ..........you could turn it into a brick ! there are no picture or color adjustments in there on your set .

FWIW Turn off all the ECO /Energy Saver crap and brightness and /or backlight sensors .

For the most accurate colors put it in Cinema mode and screw
the contrast (picture ) to max same thing with the backlight .they are way to low out of the box !
you might want to do that in all the modes as well some of the other settings esp. gamma in each mode and each input
I leave the color temp at vivid is sports mode for effect but I usually don't use it, tweaked Cinema is usually the best on a Sony

The Cinema mode /scene select will turn off all the other advanced settings crap you don't need for a good picture

Best to set color temp at neutral in most modes and particularly Cinema Sonys like to push red if you don't (been that way forever ) and some blues can take on a lavender tint and it can otherwise skew the yellows ,greens and magenta ,set it too cool and it pushes blue like a Cheap Emerson, Dynex or Westinghouse at WM or Target in store or torch mode !

Advanced settings Cine motion should be auto though thats your 3:2 pull down for 24p film content (movies )
In advanced settings Gamma at +2 usually helps with picture detail on Sonys also

Fageet about any motion settings or blinking back lights /edge lights or frame dimming

I would keep the brightness and color saturation about 50-55 no more than 60 on either one otherwise excessive brightness you will kill your blacks and thus contrast and might lose detail and see blooming and/ or a washed out picture excessive color saturation skews the colors and kills picture detail .

Sharpness on a Sony with a VA panel probably about 17 most other sets a lot less .

contrary to popular wisdom contrast sets white levels and Brightness sets black levels no lie !

Oh in the screen setting menu set your screen pixel mapping @1:1 (full pixel very important ) ,auto wide ON ,4:3 default OFF ,Auto Display area OFF very important !

Note : if full pixel is not right your brand new 1080p set is suddenly a 720p set no matter what the display info banner says no lie !

Should have a very good picture. Sometimes Sammy Panels look better in Sonys than Samsungs ha ha ha .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-29-2014 at 04:43 AM.
post #501 of 1125 Old 06-29-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guite View Post
I recently bought a 48W600B, replacing a Panasonic plasma 42UT50D, which failed in less than two years. While I found the colours in the Pana spot on, in this Sony I find the colours over saturated, more so the reds, greens and blues. If I turn down the colour setting, mid tones become dull, mainly skin tones becomes dull. I have played with various settings like hue, colour temperature, etc but have not got satisfactory result. I have not touched white balance because I am not sure about it.

How do I find the perfect balance?
See post #500 above. You can make the Sony do very accurate and natural color see above

Although you are already spoiled by a plasma you can otherwise make the Sony pretty decent as LCD's go
You are going through plasma withdrawal it will get better once you set up the Sony right but the only permanent cure is another PDP or an OLED

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-29-2014 at 05:02 AM.
post #502 of 1125 Old 06-29-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
I'm looking at the 40 inch W600B for gaming and movie viewing. I'm coming from an old 32XBr9 that has pretty low input lag (~30ms) and excellent Bravia Engine 2 image processing at 120Hz to eliminate movie judder in panning scenes, a great compliment to the great screen uniformity and deep blacks (which I love).

On paper, the W600B looks awesome with great black levels, excellent uniformity, etc, except for the 60hz, no image processing capabilities. The W600 pages on sony's and amazon's websites say it has motionflow 240, but with only a 60Hz panel it sounds like it won't fix judder and it won't add a tasteful amount of smoothing to 24p content when watching Blu Rays.

The input lag on the W600B looks great at 29ms, but I'm waffling between this and the Samsung UN40H6350, which has an input lag of 42 ms when set to PC (the low end of the "okay" category on display lag.com), but I'm worried about the black levels and screen uniformity as samsungs seem to be a crap shoot in that way.

I've also got my eye on the Vizio E series 40 incher that is getting rave reviews this year, but that's also 60 hz, and I'm a little scared about going vizio after loving sony for so long.

Did I screw myself over by waiting too many years to get a 40 inch 120hz panel? All the 40's except samsung are basically 60 Hz now with a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo claiming clear motion rates and other BS.
No not at all once the Sony is tweaked see post # 500 in this thread it can be very good better than any LCD near its price and certainly better than the E series Visio which aren't that great IMO and others despite what you may read
quite a few people here have returned those because they don't live upto the hype.
Image processing capabilities are best left off Any pro calibrator will tell you that the video processing engine in the Sony is quite good (usually better ) with that stuff off which defaults to off in game and Cinema mode anyway !

Anyway a true 120 Hz panel can only see 60Hz max over HDMI 2.0 anyway and must repeat each frame to operate
in it's native 120hz mode anyway so why sweat it . 120hz panel is required for 3D TV though.

Ofc Sonys as one would expect cost more but that's what it takes to get out of the bush leagues and into the majors Same thing with the other heavy hitters like Samsung ,Toshiba,and Panasonic and even LG
Like Sony they all make their own and very good video processing engines and firmware instead of buying them off the shelf it all costs money though they also support expensive global service and part networks unlike Visio and some others that do not have those.

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-29-2014 at 05:45 AM.
post #503 of 1125 Old 06-29-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raitzi View Post
To use your own settings for internet video you need to do following. Go to regular TV channel(any will do) select your custom settings but select them to apply to all content and not only to this source/input(it is under the first page of picture settings). Sony TVs have many modes so just select one like "standard" put your settings and change it to apply to all sources.
Thanks for the info. What I did was go into the picture settings and change the input source to Common (instead of Current Input). I then had to re-input my settings again. Once that was done and I started an internet video, I went back into the picture settings and changed the input selection again from Current Input to Common, and it brought all my picture settings over.

Thanks again for the guidance. This is great because I now have the option of watching streaming content either through the TV or through the blu ray player while keeping all my picture settings intact.
Raitzi likes this.
post #504 of 1125 Old 06-29-2014, 10:26 AM

I'm having trouble accepting the two cloudy spots at the bottom of my 50w800b screen. That along with a few sort of discolored greenish spots that cover about 4 pixels each (not noticeable from viewing distance), and the poor viewing angle, are giving me second thoughts on keeping this TV. I settled on a sharpness setting of 30 based on the AVS 709 disc, for what it's worth. That has the least amount of moire pattern. I'm thinking of exchanging it.
post #505 of 1125 Old 06-29-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

VA panels have poor view angles that's true but they usually offer superior blacks thus contrast (two of the most important things for a good picture without those it can get ugly in a hurry )

Only cure for *view angle* is an IPS LCD panel but you loose native contrast and black levels but gain *some* view angle other than that a Plasma will have the best view angles but might be more reflective and not as bright they work best in light controlled rooms but have the best picture quality overall for the $$$ spent . OFC TOTL would be an OLED panel .

You may have a slightly defective panel maybe your retailer will exchange for another edge lit panels will usually have at least *some minor clouding
it shouldn't be distracting when watching programs at nite if it is you might be able to exchange it for another one and hope for a better result other than a back lit panel or PDP you just have to try to get one that has the least clouding and flashlighting The VA and AMVA panels that Sony uses (Samsung VA XXW600 ) and (AUO AMVA XXW800/850) have similar traits and are all edge light until you move up to the XBR (expensive ) FALD sets with rear back lights .

Sammie and AUO Edge light VA and AMVA panels once tweaked properly can make good pictures if you can live with the view angle all 3 types of LCD panels come in edge light or back light and may or may not have FALD or frame dimming depending on the TV .

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-29-2014 at 01:49 PM.
post #506 of 1125 Old 06-30-2014, 02:08 PM

Hooked my desktop up to my w800b and realized a couple issues. The picture doesn't fill the screen (about an inch or two all around of black) and the picture mode is stuck on "graphics" and won't allow me to change it. Has anyone dealt with this?
post #507 of 1125 Old 06-30-2014, 06:42 PM

Liked: 0
playstation now

I just updated my tv for the 2nd time and I have playstation now in the menu. Haven't tried it yet I'm on wireless and they recommend wired connection.I have the model kdl 50w800b. Did anybody else get the update?
post #508 of 1125 Old 06-30-2014, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike86325 View Post
Hooked my desktop up to my w800b and realized a couple issues. The picture doesn't fill the screen (about an inch or two all around of black) and the picture mode is stuck on "graphics" and won't allow me to change it. Has anyone dealt with this?
If you are hooked up via HDMI you need to look for the under/overscan settings for your video card/ video output. I do not have your TV but my ATI desktop graphics have this setting. Setting to 0% fills screen.

I came in here to ask... I am considering a W800 for video gaming and bedroom cable watching. I prefer plasma picture but Sony has long since been my favorite LCD. How has the W800 been doing as far as picture quality and motion handling for you guys?

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
post #509 of 1125 Old 06-30-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emajin9 View Post
I just updated my tv for the 2nd time and I have playstation now in the menu. Haven't tried it yet I'm on wireless and they recommend wired connection.I have the model kdl 50w800b. Did anybody else get the update?
I have automatic updates turned off, so I just went and checked and I was able to download this as well. I had read about Playstation Now coming to the 50W800Bs (along with other, higher end sets) so I'm not surprised we received this. Since I have a PS4, I'll just wait and try out the service on that if I'm interested, that way I don't have to invest in another controller (Playstation Now uses the Dual Shock 3 controllers, not the Dual Shock 4 of the PS4).
post #510 of 1125 Old 06-30-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz View Post
I came in here to ask... I am considering a W800 for video gaming and bedroom cable watching. I prefer plasma picture but Sony has long since been my favorite LCD. How has the W800 been doing as far as picture quality and motion handling for you guys?
One of the primary reasons I bought this set was for hooking up a PS4 to it, and so far I've been extremely happy. Although I have some custom settings for general movie watching, I've been using the default settings for the Game scene selection when using the Playstation, and haven't had any issues. At some point I might go ahead and fool around with some of the picture settings in this mode, but just on default they seem pretty well dialed in, at least to my eyes.

Watching movies has also been a treat. I've done some streaming movies from Amazon Instant Video and Sony's own Preferred Movies app, and also watched Pacific Rim on blu ray and have been very impressed with the picture. Since I've only had the TV for about 3 weeks or so, I still might tweak some of the picture settings somewhat, but I used some of the settings people posted here as a baseline, and then combined that with the Disney WOW disc to come up with a setup that looks pretty good to my eyes.

I don't have it hooked up to broadcast or cable, as it's a part of my game room setup, so I can't say how it handles normal television content or sports broadcasts.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 55w900a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page