post #541 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkon82 View Post
Awesome tv! Here are the settings I came up with if anybody is interested. I watch satellite tv most of the time and I find these settings to be perfect for me.

Try it out and let me know what you think

Scene: general
Picture mode: standard
Backlight: 6-8
Picture: max
Brightness: 50
Color:52
Hue:0
Color temp: neutral
Sharpness: 40
Noise reduction: auto
MPEG noise reduction: auto
Dot noise reduction: auto
Reality creation: auto
Resolution: 65 (greyed out)
Noise filtering: min (greyed out)
Smooth gradiation: low
Motionflow: off
Cinemotion: auto

Advanced settings
Black corrector: low
Adv. contrast enhancer: low
Gamma: -1
Auto light limiter: low
Clear white: high
Live color: low
Detail enhancer: medium
Edge enhancer: medium
Skin naturalizer: off

White balance
R gain: -3
G gain: -5
B gain: -2
R bias: +1
G bias: -2
B bias: -2
I conpletely agree with many of your settings. I originally used Custom because I've always used "custom" configs in the past, but there was something not right with the picture. Then I tried Standard and suddenly it looked really good -- using Neutral, excellent contrast, color saturation, brightness and minimial noise after some additional slight tweaks to Gamma (+2), Picture (96), and Color (36), and then High Contrast Enhancer, Low Black Corrector, and Low Live Color...and that's just for the TV input.

Thanks for confirming what my eyes are telling me.

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey I'm just curious. Where does everyone find out the info on what panels are in each of these TV's?
I'm going down to the store in about an hour to buy my w840b, can't wait.
post #543 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by tubetwister 

How do you like the picture on the The KDL-50W800B?

I really love it. I have a Panasonic plasma as well, and obviously the blacks and color accuracy are not as good. However, I actually like the overall picture on the sony better. The pop is there and it something I do not get from the plasma. I literally am captivated by the picture quality. My local best buy had one on display that I could play around with before purchasing. I highly recommend it and it is easily the best $1000 I have spent on a tv.
I'm actually stuck between this and a 2014 Vizio M-Series (55" or 60"). I mostly game on my Xbox One but I do watch Bluray, Netflix and Hulu often.
Now I know for gaming Sony has it beat hands down but I am coming from a old Philips LCD (I think it had a 72ms) so I'm sure anything will be a much better improvement lol.

Any opinions of which set I should go for or which may be better overall?
post #544 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopenguin View Post
I'm really thinking about getting the KDL-40W600B in the next week or so. The primary use is going to be gaming, followed by netflix. Before I drop $500 on a new TV, I just wanna be sure it's the best one I can get for the money. I don't want too big of a TV as it's going in my bedroom, so I think 40-43" is the perfect size.

Is the KDL-40W600B the best I can get in that size range. I really don't care about the smart features; I hear they're slow, take a long time to load up, and that chrome cast is better. If there's a "dumb" tv that's cheaper and as good or better than the sony (mostly in regards to input lag/picture quality for gaming), I'm all ears.

Re tubetwister
Should be fine it has a Samsung S - PVA edge light panel . I have the equivalent 2013 model in the bedroom and picture wise once you tweak it some it destroys anything near its price range including the cheaper Viseo B model with FALD . The Sony has decently fast panel (sample and hold times ) and low twitch game lag processing good gaming set .

My 2013 model has a similar Samsung S - PVA panel to the 2014 model with the only difference being it is rear back light . The 2014 model has improved video processing as well . Problem with Samsung (not a bad set) is in this price range you never know what brand of panel you are going to get some are not nearly as good as others in the same set.
besides Samsung has those funny looking chicken foot stands .

Hard to beat Sony,Samsung ,Toshiba ,Panasonic Samsung and even LG for video processing (important for a good picture )they all make their own video engines the rest including Viseo ,TCL and all the others buy their video engines off the shelf those are like buying a car with a generic who knows what is in there Chinese motor .

I've seen the XXW600B's in the store ( BB) they looked fine I wouldn't sweat it . I can't think of anything better for the money not to mention the fit and finish on Sony is usually most of the others in this price range some of the others look cheap .

OH Roku is far better than Chromcast for Netflix ,Amazon and stuff like that (as long as you aren't trying to stream from a PC if so then get the C cast if you have a smartphone to run it or just try the one in the TV see how it is ) the Roku You Tube channel is intolerably slow others are fine .

PS I also have a 2013 42" LG the picture isn't bad at all just not *as good as the Sony .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-02-2014 at 11:23 AM.
post #545 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCruzin View Post
I'm actually stuck between this and a 2014 Vizio M-Series (55" or 60"). I mostly game on my Xbox One but I do watch Bluray, Netflix and Hulu often.
Now I know for gaming Sony has it beat hands down but I am coming from a old Philips LCD (I think it had a 72ms) so I'm sure anything will be a much better improvement lol.

Any opinions of which set I should go for or which may be better overall?
Sony of course especially the 800B

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #546 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 12:20 PM

Well I just went and bought my 60w840b, getting delivered after lunch. Can't wait to hook this thing up.
post #547 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Re tubetwister
Should be fine it has a Samsung S - PVA edge light panel . I have the equivalent 2013 model in the bedroom and picture wise once you tweak it some it destroys anything near its price range including the cheaper Viseo B model with FALD . The Sony has decently fast panel (sample and hold times ) and low twitch game lag processing good gaming set .

My 2013 model has a similar Samsung S - PVA panel to the 2014 model with the only difference being it is rear back light . The 2014 model has improved video processing as well . Problem with Samsung (not a bad set) is in this price range you never know what brand of panel you are going to get some are not nearly as good as others in the same set.
besides Samsung has those funny looking chicken foot stands .

Hard to beat Sony,Samsung ,Toshiba ,Panasonic Samsung and even LG for video processing (important for a good picture )they all make their own video engines the rest including Viseo ,TCL and all the others buy their video engines off the shelf those are like buying a car with a generic who knows what is in there Chinese motor .

I've seen the XXW600B's in the store ( BB) they looked fine I wouldn't sweat it . I can't think of anything better for the money not to mention the fit and finish on Sony is usually most of the others in this price range some of the others look cheap .

OH Roku is far better than Chromcast for Netflix ,Amazon and stuff like that (as long as you aren't trying to stream from a PC if so then get the C cast if you have a smartphone to run it or just try the one in the TV see how it is ) the Roku You Tube channel is intolerably slow others are fine .

PS I also have a 2013 42" LG the picture isn't bad at all just not *as good as the Sony .
W600 is backlit without local dimming (not edge lit like you say). Like the basic Samsung sets with the prefab LED lights behind the panel. Low end TVs by Sony (R4), Samsung, LG, Philips, Tosh all use bought-in processors. The W600B is the first in Sony's range to use the X-Reality chip but is manufactured/prefabbed by Foxconn.
post #548 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopthrough View Post
W600 is backlit without local dimming (not edge lit like you say). Like the basic Samsung sets with the prefab LED lights behind the panel. Low end TVs by Sony (R4), Samsung, LG, Philips, Tosh all use bought-in processors. The W600B is the first in Sony's range to use the X-Reality chip but is manufactured/prefabbed by Foxconn.
AFAIK US W600B are edge lit according to Sony I used to believe they were back lit also like last years R4 series until I looked at the Sony website but Sony says they are in fact edge lit this year

Newest EDIT :
Sony says this set (W600B ) is Edge lit right here but it looks pretty thick for an edge lit
This website says W600B is Edge lit http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...ed-tv-review-3
This very credible Website saysW600B is direct lit http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd...specifications
loopthrough says W600B is direct lit
In light of this information I'm changing my position and taking the 5th on this one till further notice ☺

EDIT the Sony website could be wrong about that on the W600 's the set is pretty thick and loopthrough stated they are back lit
(his information seems credible in all his postings also ) and I read that on a UK review (or two at least ) a few mo. back also .
For now it's looking like they may be back lit after all like the reviewers were saying a few mo. ago.
again In light of this information I'm changing my position and taking the 5th on this one till further notice ☺

[quote]W600 Sony USA store web page (this pending verification see post 564 )
I will leave the Sony quote here could go either way .
The Difference is Dynamic
It's all about perfecting a natural look. Sony's Dynamic Edge LED backlighting with frame dimming delivers pitch-black night scenes and illuminates bright scenes. Rather than illuminating the entire screen, contrast is boosted in just the right areas for a more realistic picture.
http://store.sony.com/40-diag-w600b-...ll-Sony-HD-TVs

Yes last year R4 series used an aftermarket Media tek processor I don't know if it was designed by Sony and a
Media TEK Custom fab more likely it was an off the shelf unit with Sony firmware. either way it works quite well.
as you say the 2014 sets have Sony chips . AFAIK Foxconn does not have a chip fab.

You might be right about about *some of the other brands* in this price range using off the shelf processors that's the case with my 2012 Toshiba CCFL/LCD ..............OTOH my 2013 42LN4300 LG uses an LG XD processor
and the Samsung ES/EH 5XXX and similar sets use Samsung Processors

MY 2013 Sony KDL 40R450A is in my bedroom and is a good bedroom set all in all.
As for LCD's in it's price range (and above *somewhat) it's quite good (better than most)
and could be used anywhere in the home Same for the W600B sets .

OTOH my real TV is a large 2013 Samsung Plasma and does a much better job overall

I believe like last years R4 series the 2014 XX W600 back lights (or is it edge lights ) are fabricated by and assembled to Samsung S- PVA LCD cells by Foxconn
at least in US / N.A. models

I agree the N.A W600B and some other Sonys are assembled and mostly fabricated at Foxconn like loopthrough says
possibly quite a few in Mexico since Sony sold their Mexican and SA plants .

As far as the Can. and EU models go all that could well be different as well as the panels used.

I believe there is 42" EU and possibly Canadian orphan that uses an LGD IPS panel .
Mostly no R4 models in US anymore except a 32"

P.S. loopthrough, any idea what panel is in the 60w840b ?...it's not on my list ....'

Oh .........and of course welcome to AVS .

Cheers

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-03-2014 at 12:44 AM.
post #549 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Sooo is this good?
post #550 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Sooo is this good?
Well it's good if you want a low-mid range TV that is good for the money. If you could fit a 50", my inclination would be to get the W800B instead though. If you only wanted the smaller size of the W600B would be a good choice, so yes.
tubetwister likes this.
post #551 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
AFAIK US W600B are edge lit according to Sony I used to believe they were back lit also like last years R4 series until I looked at the Sony website but Sony says they are in fact edge lit this year thats all I have to go on anyway.
Seems they have frame dimming as well .

Yes last year R4 series used an aftermarket Media tek processor I don't know if it was designed by Sony and a
Media TEK Custom fab more likely it was an off the shelf unit with Sony firmware. either way it works quite well.
as you say the 2014 sets have Sony chips . AFAIK Foxconn does not have a chip fab.

You might be right about about some of the other brands in this price range using off the shelf processors that's the case with my 2012 Toshiba CCFL/LCD OTOH my 2013 42LN4300 LG uses an LG XD processor

MY 2013 Sony KDL 40R450A is in my bedroom and is a good bedroom set all in all.
As for LCD's in it's price range (and above *somewhat) it's quite good (better than most)
and could be used anywhere in the home Same for the W600B sets .

OTOH my real TV is a large 2013 Samsung Plasma and does a much better job overall

I believe like last years R4 series the 2014 XX W600 back lights (or is it edge lights ) are fabricated by and assembled to Samsung S- PVA LCD cells by Foxconn with the difference being the 2014 panels are Edge lit .
at least in US / N.A. models

I believe the N.A W600B and some other Sonys are assembled and mostly fabricated at Foxconn
possibly quite a few in Mexico since Sony sold their Mexican and SA plants .

As far as the Can. and EU models go all that could well be different as well as the panels used.

I believe there is 42" EU and possibly Canadian orphan that uses an LGD IPS panel .
Mostly no R4 models in US anymore except a 32"

P.S. loopthrough, any idea what panel is in the 60w840b ?...it's not on my list ....'

Oh .........and of course welcome to AVS .

Cheers
R4 series (and all low end TVs by all makes) do not use custom design processors or complicated backlight modules. Just off the shelf chips, usually MediaTek SOC designs. Sony's processors are only in TVs they brand as "X-Reality". "Clear Resolution Enhancer" = off the shelf processor.

Panels are generally the same worldwide in the same models. You have to remember these manufacturing plants are only assembly plants putting imported parts together. There are slight variations, but usually only when suppliers need to be changed.

The W600 info on Sony's site is wrong. You can tell a backlit TV by the how deep the cabinet goes.

See here for a full review of the TV: http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-tele...9148/test.html

KDL-60W840B I assume is the same TV as the KDL-60W855 in Europe.

That panel is specially produced for Sony/Foxconn and will show a Sony sticker on the back and most likely a Samsung S-PVA+PSA. AUO doesn't make 60" and Sharp would be an unlikely choice. The part number is ND4Y600LNX0101 which pretty much says Samsung as you can see by the parts I highlighted in bold which are usual Samsung part letters.

Thanks for the welcome!
tubetwister likes this.

Last edited by loopthrough; 07-02-2014 at 03:30 PM.
post #552 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

removed

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-02-2014 at 04:08 PM.
post #553 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

removed

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-02-2014 at 04:18 PM.
post #554 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

removed double post

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-02-2014 at 03:56 PM.
post #555 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sooo is this good?
Yes Sony W600/8XXx sets are good the 8XXx are just better .
The 8XXx sets will have additional features such as 3D and 120Hz panels in *some models ofc most 8XXx sets use AUO AMVA panels depending on the size they can also be had with similar Samsung SPVA panels in the larger sizes .

With the 8XXx series you can expect a somewhat better picture depending on your source. ofc both use VA panels so they are more alike in that respect than not and neither are bad .Personally 4 of my LCD's including my Sony have VA panels another is an LGD IPS panel
but my real TV is a Plasma just so you know.

The best thing to do is look at both of them in a store and see which fits your needs and budget TBH neither would be a bad choice just don't expect plasma picture quality you would have to spend a few large on a Sony 9XXx triluminous
FALD set to get into that ball park OTOH the W600/8XXx are very good at their respective price points .
and if 3D is not an issue the 800b is a decent buy IMO with an equivalent 2D picture to the 850B .
I've seem and played with both W600B and W8XXx series btw

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-02-2014 at 07:26 PM.
post #556 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooodavie View Post
Im about to try take my 70w850b back because of this.
Any time I turn the tv on now all I do Is look for the shadow lines in the corners.
I cant stand it anymore.

LOL Sorry mate! Seriously, the issue is not that bad (at least for me) and I think it just is 'amplified' on such a large screen TV. Here are some pics I took of mine, with the backlight/picture on MAX in a dark room. They were taken with my LG G2, and do not look this 'bad' in person:

This picture shows the what I was talking about earlier, with a more pronounced 'darkening' in the bottom LH corner, extending slightly up the LH side. The artefact on the middle LH side I cannot see at all normally:

Here is a picture of the whole screen:

Last edited by interfreak; 07-02-2014 at 04:41 PM.
post #557 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
R4 series (and all low end TVs by all makes) do not use custom design processors or complicated backlight modules. Just off the shelf chips, usually MediaTek SOC designs. Sony's processors are only in TVs they brand as "X-Reality". "Clear Resolution Enhancer" = off the shelf processor.

Panels are generally the same worldwide in the same models. You have to remember these manufacturing plants are only assembly plants putting imported parts together. There are slight variations, but usually only when suppliers need to be changed.

The W600 info on Sony's site is wrong. You can tell a backlit TV by the how deep the cabinet goes.

See here for a full review of the TV: http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-tele...9148/test.html

KDL-60W840B I assume is the same TV as the KDL-60W855 in Europe.

That panel is specially produced for Sony/Foxconn and will show a Sony sticker on the back and most likely a Samsung S-PVA+PSA. AUO doesn't make 60" and Sharp would be an unlikely choice. The part number is ND4Y600LNX0101 which pretty much says Samsung as you can see by the parts I highlighted in bold which are usual Samsung part letters.

Thanks for the welcome!
re/tubetwisrer
Interesting ..........I always assumed the 600B were back light because of their depth like you say and almost fell out of my chair when I saw Edge lit and frame dimming at the US Sony site Maybe I should revisit my posts about that .

Better back lit than edge lit in some cases anyway IIRC I thought I read a UK review (or two ) somewhere also that had them back lit like you say so I just assumed (after seeing the Sony web page ) maybe the US were using different panels than EU on the W600. I was somewhat incredulous when I saw that Sony page BTW and re checked it a few times !
If I find anything interesting in that regard I'l be sure to post it here .
I can imagine a lot of lower price models use Media Tek or Marvel chips I know Visio uses Media Tek .
OFC they don't make anything much less Chips.

Samsung ,LG, (and now 2014 Sony ) would be the only exceptions at least that I've seen anyway so far on *some* lower priced sets. I don't know about Panasonic but suspect Toshiba is using off the shelf silicon in their lower priced sets as well. OTOH I would imagine the firmware calibrations might be better on the tier one brands either way.

I'm not an industry insider or expert just an enthusiast that has been screwing around with this stuff (and audio) as a hobby for 40+ years and computers for about for~27 years ( often in my work also ) I studied electronics in H.S for 3 yrs in the late 60's (when they actually made you earn your grades in the US ) and did some bench work and service calls for a Magnavox TV dealer back then in the CRT days part time . I can attest first hand that a 25 K 30K jolt is an awakening ! .Have held a general class FCC ham radio licence for may years (decades) also .
Funny thing though my career was in management for global multinational conglomerate (s)
(my area was mostly automotive OEM )

We have a small Digital music production /recording studio here with some decent equipment some computers and DAWS, etc . an analog synth /midi keyboards 2 drum machines and little analog stuff not extravagant but adequate otherwise .certainly no Abby Roads by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm retired my son does the work in there we have some stuff up at iTunes and Amazon and other venues CD's (nothing major ) and downloads. we work with some bay area local talent no real big names though . I'm just an investor /tinkerer and the IT + repair technician guy for the studio it's coming along .

Fortunately I don't have to rely on it for retirement income but it's a great place for critical music listening it's well stocked with decent audio gear and ofc the room is properly treated .

anyway enjoying the discussion.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-02-2014 at 06:14 PM.
post #558 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTI84 View Post
Hey I'm just curious. Where does everyone find out the info on what panels are in each of these TV's?
I'm going down to the store in about an hour to buy my w840b, can't wait.

You get it Yet ?

post #559 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Found one of the Sony W600B UK reviews (says the W600B is Rear (direct back light ) like loopthrough says .

I read this some months ago at Rtings .com these guys are excellent and every bit as good if not better than C net they also publish lots of measurements ,comparisons and specifications . They have the W600B as being rear lit not edge lit I would tend to believe them they don't miss anything and are one of the best if not the best and the most thorough TV review site I've ever seen . Highly recommended review site IMO.
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd...specifications

OTOH reviewed .com has has W600B as an edge light set like Sony says

Only thing is Rtings .com list W600B having frame dimming. I'm not clear how that would work with a direct lit panel
unless they are including back light blinking in that category only thing I can figure .
(or maybe a copy editor missed a page layout typo) wouldn't be the first time for almost any website .maybe Sony also ?

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-03-2014 at 12:02 AM.
post #560 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 06:15 PM

Liked: 11
Mine looks like I have about a half inch wide shadow on the left and right side of the screen.
I mainly notice it on the bottom of the sides and with brighter colors.
post #561 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
You get it Yet ?

I have it sitting in the box next to me. Have a friend coming over very shortly to help me mount it. Can't wait
post #562 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooodavie View Post
Mine looks like I have about a half inch wide shadow on the left and right side of the screen.
I mainly notice it on the bottom of the sides and with brighter colors.

My TV's 'shadows' seem to be diminishing the more I use it, or maybe I'm getting used to it lol. Anyways, it's only on solid, bright backgrounds that I notice it, it's generally not noticeable during normal viewing/gaming.

Does you screen look simular to the pictures I posted?
post #563 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by interfreak View Post
My TV's 'shadows' seem to be diminishing the more I use it, or maybe I'm getting used to it lol. Anyways, it's only on solid, bright backgrounds that I notice it, it's generally not noticeable during normal viewing/gaming.

Does you screen look simular to the pictures I posted?
could be some DSE (dirty screen effcect ) if not sever should b OK

post #564 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

You all know Somebody's going to get owned here right ? (thats how it works )

Is the W600 edge lite or direct backlight ?
This website says W600B is Edge lit http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...ed-tv-review-3
This very credible Website saysW600B is direct lit http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd...specifications
loopthrough says W600B is direct lit
I took the 5th ☺
Sony says it's edge lit OTOH it's pretty thick for an E light maybe they made a bo bo ?

Easy to settle ................. have a w600b owner look

must post a PIX for some backlights in the middle of the back of the set shining through a hole or whatever NO prize and and an LED must be visible like it is in my 40 R450 not just light or we will have to figure something else maybe send someone over to disassemble your set ? any volunteers for a donor set ?☺ We will put it back together I promise ,will it work as before ..thats the $64.00 question ! but you will get some respect around here not always an easy thing to do and I will push the like button and maybe some others will !

[/B]

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-05-2014 at 01:01 AM.
post #565 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
You could always turn your motionflow on but that adds it's own set of issues other than getting another Plasma not much can be done . How do like this as compared to your Kuro ?

Hopefully your plasma withdrawal symptoms will subside given enough time only permanent cure for that these days is a Sammie f8500 and the 64's are getting hard to find only 1 left at Amazon at least for this very moment.

Given that Samsung just announced it is stopping plasma production I can almost guarantee it will be gone long before lunch today probably within the hour ☺
Yep. Plasma is dead. But its time for me to go bigger and I found this set at a price point that didn't cause me a divorce. Plasmas over 60" are $3K+ which were over my budget. Love the size of the TV. 2D BluRays look amazing but HD cable is at times very "pixely" and blotchy. 3D BRs look very dark. The 3D glasses are obviously tinted so it may just be that I was overseeing that. Is a 3D picture supposed to look darker?

Maybe, since I'm not used to having a set this big I'm noticing imperfections a lot easier. Is the pixelation normal when watching HD cable especially on a 70" screen?
post #566 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 09:09 PM

Have my TV hooked up. Everything looks good... except for.. on white screens there is black coming out of the corners.
Looks like black triangles coming out of the corners. Only noticeable on white screens.
( 60W840b)
post #567 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTI84 View Post
Have my TV hooked up. Everything looks good... except for.. on white screens there is black coming out of the corners.
Looks like black triangles coming out of the corners. Only noticeable on white screens.
( 60W840b)

Like I posted earlier, My TV's 'shadows' on my KDL60W850B seem to be diminishing the more I use it. Does the issue look simular to my photos above?
post #568 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 09:16 PM

Yea it looks similar to that, but mine is mainly only in the corners. Not along the sides/top

Edit: Yea I was wrong, its like yours. And noticeable on bright red/blue screens too.

Last edited by JTI84; 07-02-2014 at 09:26 PM.
post #569 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 09:45 PM

Well, like I said I hardly notice/am getting used to it now and I've only had the TV for 5 days.
post #570 of 1666 Old 07-02-2014, 10:07 PM

I'm also hoping the speakers break in or get louder, because they are garbage. With the volume at 50+ it's not as loud or as clear as my 6 year old Panasonic plasma at 20% volume. I assume because it's down firing and mounted and not on a stand... But still, it's far to quiet.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page